• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyoro SF

I actually really enjoyed the Divine Beast dungeons. My favorites were the Zora and Gerudo ones. My only complaint is that sometimes they felt too small-scale. If they were twice the size and had more interlocking difficulty then I would have approved. Wouldn't hurt also to increase the coloration and go for more of the region's theme but I think they wanted to keep the Sheikah theme consistent in design.

The idea of manipulating the whole dungeon to open up paths or solutions is really brilliant and a lot of fun. Feels like a fully realized continuation of the Forest Temple's hallway trick from OoT. Figuring out the trick behind manipulating the waterfall in the Zora one made me feel like a genius at least lol.

Fuck man

Snow areas are zero fun to explore in this game. Movement speed is reduced significantly and you can barely see what's infront of you.

I love the Hebra area. Everything is so quiet and desolate, most of the time it's just Link and the snow, with the occasional wolf you need to shoe away with an arrow. Stal enemies seem to spawn a lot less out there, which helps.

gman7722

Neo Member
This game just blows my mind every day with something new that I find. Is there any doubt this is going to be the Game of the Year for 2017? Is there anything else coming out this year that could possibly come close?

Red Dead 2 if it does come out this year. Even still, Zelda will win tons of GOTY awards at the end of this year.

Nyoro SF

I love the Hebra area. Everything is so quiet and desolate, most of the time it's just Link and the snow, with the occasional wolf you need to shoe away with an arrow. Stal enemies seem to spawn a lot less out there, which helps.

Hebra also has the highest amount of snowboarding hype.

Sheikah Sensor goes off for the Shrine, it's down the mountain, TIME FOR SSX TRICKY BOIZ *fires up youtube playlist*

I actually really enjoyed the Divine Beast dungeons. My favorites were the Zora and Gerudo ones. My only complaint is that sometimes they felt too small-scale. If they were twice the size and had more interlocking difficulty then I would have approved. Wouldn't hurt also to increase the coloration and go for more of the region's theme but I think they wanted to keep the Sheikah theme consistent in design.

The idea of manipulating the whole dungeon to open up paths or solutions is really brilliant and a lot of fun. Feels like a fully realized continuation of the Forest Temple's hallway trick from OoT. Figuring out the trick behind manipulating the waterfall in the Zora one made me feel like a genius at least lol.

I agree and was rather surprised to see some who outright hated them. I thought they were clever, simple, focused and capped with great boss fights each that played out like its own puzzle.

I , inadvertently of course, found myself beating them in order of most to least difficulty which was pretty neat.

kunonabi

Yeah, this is what I expected from BotW before playing the game. The disappointment is real ;_;

I expected stuff like a sprawling underground city where your actions can effect things on the surface and all sorts of interesting interactions to open up new locations and solve puzzles would occur. Not to mention rare treasures to find and new enemies to encounter. I also expected glorious boss battles that rampage through the dungeon and occasionally back out to the surface instead of some samey pushovers that just get dumped in a room.

Still, much like Oot, BotW is really just the sort of first draft at this new style of Zelda so it will probably take them a couple of tries to really perfect it.

Timeaisis

Didn't know if there is a
painter clue
for that one. I do know the location on that one, I just happen to find it while exploring around for seeds.

Clue:
Forest area Northeast of Bottomless swamp.

Check around
Wetland
stable.

Cool, thank you both.

EDIT: Re: divine beasts. I didn't hate them like some, but I didn't love them either. I like the idea of
large puzzle rooms
, but in practice they weren't as fun as they seemed, and oftentimes more frustrating than fun (I'm looking at you,
Ruta
). Some, however were a perfect small dungeon (
the Rito one, for example).

That being said, I almost would've preferred extended shrines as dungeons than divine beasts, if I'm being honest.

Or, better yet, much more complex divine beast
"boss fights"
a la Shadow of the Colossus. That would've been neat.

After 138 hours, I finally completed this beauty. Unfortunately, I'm so burned out of this game that I can't even bring myself to finish Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Downhome

Please no spoilers, but I have one question.

On
"memories"
, how exactly do those work? Are they triggered automatically or must you do something to activate them? I'm 40 hours in asking this question, haha.

SuperOrez

On
"memories"
, how exactly do those work? Are they triggered automatically or must you do something to activate them? I'm 40 hours in asking this question, haha.

There's a glowing light you just have to step on.

Yeah, they've been great. No complaints from me. I don't even feel they were too small.

Ultimadrago

On
"memories"

After you obtained the
Camera
there will be (No Story Spoilers)
locations that are hinted in the stock images. You can talk to the painter you likely met in Kakariko, that you may also find in different stables around the world and he will give you an extra clue based on one of the images. In these exact locations, there will be a shiny yellow aura. If you Examine it, Link will remember a part of the past and a cutscene will play. Afterwards, the cutscene will be replayable and saved in your main menu. There are 12 optional ones and 5 you get from the story as you progress through the major areas.

Downhome

There's a glowing light you just have to step on.

Thanks, I have yet to even find a single one then.

I finally rode a big
deer though
!

It wasn't on purpose, I had no clue it could even be done, and my stamina is so low that I couldn't hold on. I was paragliding down from a big cliff, ran out of stamina, and LANDED on one, then all of a sudden it's going crazy bucking and I'm trying to hold on all the while wondering just what in the world was happening. I thought I was dead, but nope, it inadvertently saved me then tossed me off!

Every single time I play I find something that blows me away. I've never played anything that did that to me before. It's so amazing.

EDIT:

After you obtained the
Camera
there will be (No Story Spoilers)
locations that are hinted in the stock images. You can talk to the painter that you may find in different stables around the world and he will give you an extra clue based on one of the images. In these exact locations, there will be a shiny yellow aura. If you Examine it, Link will remember a part of the past and a cutscene will play. Afterwards, the cutscene will be replayable and saved in your main menu. There are 12 optional ones and 5 you get from the story as you progress through the major areas.

Thanks to you as well!

Ogodei

Gerudo highlands is easily the worst zone in the game, but not because of the snow, just because obviously no effort went into it

Hebra Mountains is a very nice zone that invites exploration at every turn. You also often have clear weather, I don't know why you'd imply it had always poor visibility.

This comment and the unclimbable mountain in the highlands makes me think the story DLC will be focused here. Definitely the most barren and pointless region, even the Yiga Hideout is technically in the Wasteland region.

Edit: I've found four memories so far, that i can lend help on:

1) The image with Hyrule castle, a river, and a flying bird in the distance.
This is found on the western slopes of Eldin. Go to a point on the western slope of the region where you're looking out at the Forest Tower and hunt around those ledges.
2) The image with the squareish mountain and a bridge.
This is northeast of Hylia bridge, near the river that drains into the lake. The tree in the picture is the only tree around that spot.
3) The image with the Dueling Peaks in the background.
Pretty straightforward. Take the canyon between the Dueling Peaks as your starting point and go due West until you come upon a patch of woods that look like the trees in the picture
4) The Bazaar. This one doesn't even need spoiled, the Bazaar in the desert is right there in the picture!

Well, it looks as though my unintended, emergent ambition to complete all shrines without bringing down a single Divine Beast is at an end, as after 108 shrines, I finally ran into one (and an obviously placed one, at that) which told me flatly that it can't be done; Beast first, come back later.
The Sand-Seal Rally. I bypassed a lot of the minigames until very late, and didn't realize until last night that this particular challenge unlocked a shrine, only you're not allowed to do it while Vah Naboris is still stomping around the desert.
I'm sure there are other ones, too: of the shrines I haven't done, I know where about half of them are but not how to enter them, and was definitely beginning to think that some of them had a part of the main quest as a prerequisite. (Not a surprise, as some of the other shrines required other intermediary stages of things filed under "Main Quests", namely access to towns.)

I'm now at 109 shrines and 368 Koroks, and after exploring much of Hyrule Castle without finishing it, I think I'm ready to hit some dungeons at last and see what else unlocks from there. I guess I should eventually
talk to Impa
, too. Of course, I've been saying that repeatedly for a week now, but what's changed is that now the game has given me some closure on the matter of whether "all shrines before Beasts" is even achievable.

Speaking of Hyrule Castle,
I loved the method for obtaining the Hylian Shield. It felt like an earned accomplishment, but one fully within reach of players who choose to hit the castle as early as they can. I was also surprised and delighted to find all three of the dragon fangs in chests around the castle, as I had no idea they were there, only to notice that they were fangs, not horns, and therefore not the parts I needed to finish upgrading my Barbarian set. I don't know what the fangs are for, but I look forward to finding that out for myself.

Did the Thunder arena shrine quest (or whatever it's called).

Such a simple puzzle, but so satisfying to figure it out on my own.

This is another one that makes me wonder what other people did to get through it, as my own solution for it was rather hacky and I know there must be other ways.
I dislike moving objects by putting them in stasis and hitting them, and avoid it by any means possible if an alternative presents itself, so for the orbs outside the central area, I ran around the perimeter until I found just the right spot to place a barrel, hop on the barrel while carrying an orb, and get enough height to chuck the orb into the elevated ring. It took a few attempts to get the barrel and the hopping just right without knocking everything over.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Having dogs roll over and not having the option to rub their belly is utter bullshit. This is almost as bad as the lack of dungeons. They need to add a pet button for DLC.

Weebos

Banned
I have 116 Shrines completed, the rest I plan to do tonight, then I'll probably be waiting for the season pass content.
Or farming the upgrade materials.

Over 75 hours so far, what a great game.

Is there a way to quickly drop weapons,bows and shields?

You can throw your equipped weapon, no quick way for bows and shields.

pringles

This game just blows my mind every day with something new that I find.
Same. Just today decided to explore some of the southern part of the map and I found so much cool new stuff. Can't believe I still have like 4 entire regions that I've barely set foot in.

I have 116 Shrines completed, the rest I plan to do tonight, then I'll probably be waiting for the season pass content.

seems like a huge oversight with al the friggin micromanagement even an hour into the game

Chylo

Neo Member
I finally made it to snowball
bowling and quickly went from 1.5k rupees to 6k. Bought and completely outfitted the house. I was hoping for a weapon stash, more than the 3 of each weapon/bow/shield. Rupees seem trivial now, but I guess I'm not too far. I was under the impression that something else opens after buying the house. Did I miss something?

Ultimadrago

bowling and quickly went from 1.5k rupees to 6k. Bought and completely outfitted the house. I was hoping for a weapon stash, more than the 3 of each weapon/bow/shield. Rupees seem trivial now, but I guess I'm not too far. I was under the impression that something else opens after buying the house. Did I miss something?

Well, after that event,
one of the builders goes off to build a town that you can help with. You should be able to find that quest in your Side Quests log.
Asides from that and the house upgrades, that's pretty much it.

Smeags

Purchasing the house sends Hudson to Akkala. Go and meet up with him (and being lots of wood! 😲)

random25

6 more shrines! Finding the remaining ones is now a struggle lol.

I'll probably go into Hyrule Castle if I can't find at least one more. I'm pretty sure there will be one there by design.

This is another one that makes me wonder what other people did to get through it, as my own solution for it was rather hacky and I know there must be other ways.
I dislike moving objects by putting them in stasis and hitting them, and avoid it by any means possible if an alternative presents itself, so for the orbs outside the central area, I ran around the perimeter until I found just the right spot to place a barrel, hop on the barrel while carrying an orb, and get enough height to chuck the orb into the elevated ring. It took a few attempts to get the barrel and the hopping just right without knocking everything over.
That's great! I did the stasis thing and thought I was being clever but apparently that's how everyone does it :p

6 more shrines! Finding the remaining ones is now a struggle lol.

I'll probably go into Hyrule Castle if I can't find at least one more. I'm pretty sure there will be one there by design.

I have about 50 more shrines to go and I've been combing the land and I'm struggling to find them. I used to get annoyed whenever the shrine locator made noise but now I really look forward to it beeping even a tiny bit lol

116 shrines in 75 hours?? Holy SHIT! Are you using a strategy guide?

I'm definitely over 75 hours in and I only have like 75 shrines. Which is honestly good for me because I never want this to end.

I have about 50 more shrines to go and I've been combing the land and I'm struggling to find them. I used to get annoyed whenever the shrine locator made noise but now I really look forward to it beeping even a tiny bit lol
Hahahaha! You hit the nail on the head.

BizzyBum

Well, I've come to the point where I've beaten the game and have found as many shrines, side quests, and Korok seeds as I can without using a guide. Currently sitting at around 32% completion at about 100 hours of playtime. I think my stats look something like this off the top of my head:

Shrines: 92 / 120
Shrine Quests: 30 / 42
Side Quests: 47 / 76
Korok Seeds: 130 / 900
Location Discovery: no idea lol

At this point I'd probably be more willing to use a guide to finish up the rest but on the other hand I feel using a guide for this stuff is a total waste of time and completely defeats the purpose of the game (exploring). The only other option is to meticulously comb the entire map from top to bottom and even then I will probably miss some Korok seeds.

This doesn't even take into account other stuff that doesn't count towards 100% completion but still are in the game like the Hyrule Compendium, miniboss medals of honor, collecting every piece of armor and upgrading each to the max, horse equipment, Amiibo stuff, etc.

I think at this point my goal will be just to get all 120 shrines so I can have 27 hearts / max stamina to be prepared for the DLC later in the year and then shelve the game until then. No point in using a guide to collect all 900 Korok seeds and getting burned out.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Can someone help me settle an office debate? Are there any examples in Zelda games of Koroks not wearing their masks? Basically, trying to confirm if its a "mask" or literally their faces.

Weebos

Banned
116 shrines in 75 hours?? Holy SHIT! Are you using a strategy guide?

I'm definitely over 75 hours in and I only have like 75 shrines. Which is honestly good for me because I never want this to end.

Hahahaha! You hit the nail on the head.

I got 80-90 on my own, been using a shrine map to locate the last of them.

Can someone help me settle an office debate? Are there any examples in Zelda games of Koroks not wearing their masks? Basically, trying to confirm if its a "mask" or literally their faces.

It's like a Phylliidae (a walking leaf). The leaf shaped face is part of their body. It's not a mask.

EDIT: Koroks are of shoots from the Kokiri forest dwelling people, if I got it right. So it follows that OoT would be an example of the Koroks in their humanoid form.

jonno394

Damn man, just did my first dungeon and boss fight in
Zora Domain
and it was so....underwhelming. The first part
where you're riding around on the Princes back while trying to disable Ruta
was great, but then the dungeon felt so short and the boss was far too easy (I guess fighting and beating Lynels makes everything feel easy!).

Everything else about this game is so on point and so good, especially all the changes from the staple Zelda model, but dungeons are the most important part of a Zelda, and it's just a shame this game seems to have not delivered on that aspect.

kunonabi

Well, I've come to the point where I've beaten the game and have found as many shrines, side quests, and Korok seeds as I can without using a guide. Currently sitting at around 32% completion at about 100 hours of playtime. I think my stats look something like this off the top of my head:

Shrines: 92 / 120
Shrine Quests: 30 / 42
Side Quests: 47 / 76
Korok Seeds: 130 / 900
Location Discovery: no idea lol

At this point I'd probably be more willing to use a guide to finish up the rest but on the other hand I feel using a guide for this stuff is a total waste of time and completely defeats the purpose of the game (exploring). The only other option is to meticulously comb the entire map from top to bottom and even then I will probably miss some Korok seeds.

This doesn't even take into account other stuff that doesn't count towards 100% completion but still are in the game like the Hyrule Compendium, miniboss medals of honor, collecting every piece of armor and upgrading each to the max, horse equipment, Amiibo stuff, etc.

I think at this point my goal will be just to get all 120 shrines so I can have 27 hearts / max stamina to be prepared for the DLC later in the year and then shelve the game until then. No point in using a guide to collect all 900 Korok seeds and getting burned out.

Miniboss medals of honor?

dh4niel

I was thinking after watching all of the memory cut scenes (haven't finished the game yet) the
Tri-Force
isn't mentioned at all? Seems really weird to me.

rhandino

Banned
... Silver Lynels started to pop up in the locations the regular one resided.

I already killed 4.

They are not going to get tougher... right? T_T

Perfect Dodge,
Daruk Guard
+ Attack x 3 Food means that I can finish 1 of them using only a Royal Sword + 3 hits of another weapon.

And I don't know why I panic more fighting an horde of white bokoblins than a single Lynel T_T

atr0cious

And I don't know why I panic more fighting an horde of white bokoblins than a single Lynel T_T
Don't know how many hearts you have, but the bokos one shot me all day, so I'm always moving, while there's usually just one lynel, so it's just about keeping them in front of you.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It's like a Phylliidae (a walking leaf). The leaf shaped face is part of their body. It's not a mask.

EDIT: Koroks are of shoots from the Kokiri forest dwelling people, if I got it right. So it follows that OoT would be an example of the Koroks in their humanoid form.

This is what makes me think it is a mask.

breath-of-the-wild-ginkgo-korok-full.png

Looking at the profile, it looks like the leaf rests on the nose, rather than attaches to the face.

theaface

I've just finished up collecting every piece of armor and wearable clothing/jewellery in the game. Seemed like something fun to do after completing all shrines and side quests! The only armor I don't have is tied to amiibo and I won't be losing any sleep over that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom