• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you react to a Metroid reboot w/ a black Samus

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Seriously, in my experience at least. Certainly on GAF.

But how did you know where those people are from/where they live? How much data did you gather? And may I ask where you live? I'm having a hard time believing you on this. Like I said, the term "African American" is not really relevant outside of America.

Before the zero suit she was on her underwear or some booty shorts inside the suit.

Like in Fusion, maybe. She's wearing sensible clothing otherwise, up until Zero Mission.

That said, wearing underwear or booty shorts is a lot less silly than wearing a skintight catsuit.

Powerpuff

It is a Spider-Man case to me.
0982476e355bdc3e3d27079efeb2933b29823dfa_hq.jpg

A black Spider-Man is perfectly fine but Peter Parker is white as his identity has already been well defined.

The Zelda series is a retold of the legend in its main episodes. Link is the incarnation of the hero and the character is redefined through the episodes. A black Link could be considered and would be fine.

The Metroid series tells the adventures of the very same Samus Aran. If her hair color could have varied since her first 8bit appearance, her character has yet been well defined and developed. To completely change her would break the continuity and the consistency of the universe. Samus Aran should remain white. But the universe could be expended and a black huntress in the armor as a new lead character would be perfectly fine.

Wouldn't care as long as the game was good.

In all honesty, I think I'd die of delight seeing Samus take off her helmet to reveal a beautiful bouncy black Afro

13ruce

Banned
Nah i prefer established characters to keep their origins. Now if it is a all new character hell yes i would be up for that.

sanstesy

But how did you know where those people are from/where they live? How much data did you gather? And may I ask where you live? I'm having a hard time believing you on this. Like I said, the term "African American" is not really relevant outside of America.

You really shouldn't take people seriously who take GAF as a reference point for real life situations which is the majority here. The discussion will go nowhere.

Hydrus

I would be happy as fuck just to get a new metroid. I really dont like when characters are rebooted. Seems lazy. I would rather they make a whole new character. Make Black samus a descendent of current Samus.

PSqueak

Banned
PSY・S;237391848 said:
why do people always go for black and not other non white races when starting these discussions. sometimes it's like y'all are just using blackness to get the biggest possible rise out of racists and those who hate change (and r probably racist if they react that strongly).

Eh, i think it's more because this a very american dense site, and, aren't african americans the largest "miniority" in the USA? I mean it's literally why the OP pasted a definition of black, GAF is so american centric that they equate Black to "African American", and post things like the above "why not latina?"

I'd think it's weird because Samus is clearly a blond white girl from all the pics I've seen. I've no clue of Metroid lore though. Are there a ton of people in Metroid suits or is it just Samus? If there's multiple people, they could make a black person in a suit and I wouldn't care. I doubt the lore has anything about all black people being eradicated from the galaxy.

Osukaa

The first and only Metroid I have played is the Original one and some of Super Metroid. I would just be happy if they gave her back her green hair lol. As for her being black I wouldn't really mind BUT id rather they keep the Original Samus and make a new character who happens to be black. Make her a badass character or even a awesome villian that is on the same level as Samus ability wise or even better. The last fight doesn't have to result in death but maybe a way of seeing her in a new light and maybe having Samus "die" while protecting her therefore opening up the sequels with the Black character using Samus new Armor adjusted for her. (This may have happened in another game but not sure)

You owe me $$$ if you ever do this Nintendo

Charamiwa

Banned
I'll wonder why they would bother doing it when it'll only distract from the fact that a fucking Metroid game is coming.

But I'd be happy to see it nonetheless. Though I wish Samus never removed her suit in the first place.

The Metroid series tells the adventures of the very same Samus Aran. If her hair color could have varied since her first 8bit appearance, her character has yet been well defined and developed. To completely change her would break the continuity and the consistency of the universe. Samus Aran should remain white. But the universe could be expended and a black huntress in the armor as a new lead character would be perfectly fine.

None of this would matter in a reboot. There would be no established character or history, they could do what they want and it wouldn't need to tie in with the original series in any way lore-wise.

Eolz

Why does it bother you?

Same thing as said in the other threads about the same topic from the same usual suspects?

I think that when a canon has been established by creators, and that a genre isn't made for that (aka there's no canon dragonborn in skyrim for example), it's better to respect that story, the fans, and the creators.

Seriously, why aren't people pushing for more/better new characters instead?
Why don't you have a black Josuke avatar for example? Why isn't Poison a male or black in my avatar?

There's literally no reason to push for changing established characters.
And the Iron Man example is terrible. Samus Aran is her name, not a monicker people can get, like Captain Falcon for example, who could be black.

Instead of gender switching (Link) and race switching in this case, I'd rather see new original characters if wider representation.

Nintendo has nailed that in ARMS. I'd rather them come out with a new IP with a minority lead as a show they have faith behind it and for it to become it's own gaming legacy.

Like in Fusion, maybe. She's wearing sensible clothing otherwise, up until Zero Mission.

That said, wearing underwear or booty shorts is a lot less silly than wearing a skintight catsuit.

Tbh not really. The way I see Samus' suit is similar to Olympic runners wearing skin tight spandex. Provides improved mobility and physical advangates to shorts or bare skin.

That isn't to say that they didn't do it for sex appeal. They did. But it still makes more sense than booty shorts.

Tunahead

Before the zero suit she was on her underwear or some booty shorts inside the suit.

xuc2SCv.jpg

This is what I was promised in a Super Metroid era Nintendo Power.

It was perfectly fine that 16bit Samus didn't look like that because she was like 15 pixels tall, but there's just no excuse anymore. It's just all gone horribly wrong.

Kthulhu

I couldn't care less what Samus's race is. As long as it's a good Metroid game and Samus is characterized well she could have purple skin and a green afro in they want.

Alt-right gamers would probably be pissed though (not that I care what they think).

jacobeid

Banned
I would just be happy that we're getting another Metroid game.

I couldn't care less what Samus's race is. As long as it's a good Metroid game and Samus is characterized well she could have purple skin and a green afro in they want.

Alt-right gamers would probably be pissed though (not that I care what they think).

Basically this.

I would be happy as fuck just to get a new metroid. I really dont like when characters are rebooted. Seems lazy. I would rather they make a whole new character. Make Black samus a descendent of current Samus.

I mean, this is more sensible to me than rebooting for reboots sake. Her and "remember me " had a mixed race child and there you go.

PSqueak

Banned
Instead of gender switching (Link) and race switching in this case, I'd rather see new original characters if wider representation.

Why do people keep comparing link to this hypothetical?

Link gets reincarnated every game, changing links gender or race is no big deal, like you can just bullshit something like there being some gerudo ancestry on him or something and BAM! Dark skinned link.

Platy

Seriously, why aren't people pushing for more/better new characters instead?
Why don't you have a black Josuke avatar for example? Why isn't Poison a male or black in my avatar?

Actualy there are no black trans character in gaming so Black Poison would be awesome

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
But that is EXACTLY the point !

The first metroid was a bait to play as a woman because everyone had been ingrained as playing as robots and men to even consider that the character could be a woman since she didn't had a bow on her head.

Making the reboots "bait for playing as an even smaller minority than you expect" makes perfect sense with the soul of the first metroid
Where does rewarding the player by letting you see her in a bikini fit into this progressive narrative about the original Metroid?

Why does she have to be characterized well? She never has been before and the games are still excellent.

mavo

Banned
Eh, i think it's more because this a very american dense site, and, aren't african americans the largest "miniority" in the USA? I mean it's literally why the OP pasted a definition of black, GAF is so american centric that they equate Black to "African American", and post things like the above "why not latina?"

Hispanics are the biggest minority. And yes of course blacks can be hispanic/latino, but is obvious that people mean a mestizo/castizo prefereably somewho who is brown but not that brown.

Eolz

You might want to be careful with that one.

She's trans, I know who I have in my avatar, thanks.
Might as well make this a Poison thread given how bad this thread has become (as usual with the ones pushing in a certain direction).

Mesoian

Why do people keep comparing link to this hypothetical?

Link gets reincarnated every game, changing links gender or race is no big deal, like you can just bullshit something like there being some gerudo ancestry on him or something and BAM! Dark skinned link.

Like...

Imagine if Gerudo were now an all male race. There's no reason why they couldn't do it, but would it make you happy?

Personally, I don't think there's a reason to change what the concept of Link and Zelda are, I'd just like more new better-developed characters that are more interesting. I think BOTW did a good job with this, though they could have had more screen time.

Ran rp

But that is EXACTLY the point !

The first metroid was a bait to play as a woman because everyone had been ingrained as playing as robots and men to even consider that the character could be a woman since she didn't had a bow on her head.

Making the reboots "bait for playing as an even smaller minority than you expect" makes perfect sense with the soul of the first metroid

2017 and people want to use race as a simple gotcha... a punchline...

how is this any better than "it's a trap"

it makes me think this isn't intended to be an honest discussion on representation. see above.

PSqueak

Banned
She's trans, I know who I have in my avatar, thanks.
Might as well make this a Poison thread given how bad this thread has become (as usual with the ones pushing in a certain direction).

No, i mean, it could like make people spring to say "hurr durr, but poison IS a guy" and disregard her identity.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The franchise is hardly worth the effort anyways so maybe this would give it the shot in the arm it needs.

I'd embrace it. Nobody knows or gives a shit about who Samus is at this point anyways.

spons

Gold Member

Here in Holland "Afro Amerikaans" is a widely used term, as is the more generic "negroïde" when referring to color of skin in official papers and other media.

It wouldn't be like that at all, because what you bring up happens much more often than the idea OP proposed.

So quantity of a problem matters now?

Top Bottom