• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky "Path Finder" Content Update announced

akileese

Just reads like marketing bs for the next sale to me.

Call me skeptical but it's been 7 months and they've got a shit lot of work to go if they want to deliver on the game's promise, which I don't believe they intend to.

Any mention of the multiplayer "issues" either? Nope.

I'm not even remotely convinced you've ever played No Man's Sky. They just put out a major foundation update 3 months ago and now they're building on that further. Way to judge an entire content patch on a steam hub post though!

If this game eventually gets enough patches to be the game they advertised I will definitely pick it up. Hope the updates keep coming.

Good to see they're still actively supporting it.

Out of curiosity: was a post-mortem ever done for this? Murray ever sit down to tell his side?

Maybe the game should have come out Summer 2017 instead :\

I hope this game gets some new love based on how much improved it is now

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Eh I don't believe that. It made some changes and the addition of building a base (which they didn't want to do to begin with) but I wouldn't say its substantial, the same issues present on release are still there.

I didnt say it magically fixed everything about the game, but the update definitely was substantial. Farming, Freighters, build base, different game modes, new resources & tech, UI rework and tons of smaller fixes.

You might not like the update and it might not have changed your opinion about the game, but there is no doubt that the update added a lot, so I am really looking forward to more.

Skeletron

once upon a time, I was super hyped for this game.... luckily it changed as things started smelling fishy the closer they came to release... thank god I never bought it
I don't understand comments like this. Why are you even posting in this thread?

After the last update I'm pretty confident they can pull off something substantial and worthwhile. I'd been saying since the game launched that base building and freighters had no place in a game about pushing forward and exploring, but they proved me wrong with the Foundation update.

Skyzard

Banned
You did realize that the last update was pretty substantial right? I feel like amidst all the toxicity they at least earned a bit of that trust back.

You're ignoring the Foundations update? Which came out 3-4 months in and added a ton of content to the game. A robust on-planet construction system, freighter purchasing and exploration, two difficulty modes, etc.

It's been roughly the same timeframe since Vanilla > Foundation for Foundation > Path Finder so I'm guessing Path Finder will have a lore more than just 'a buggy'.

I'm not the biggest fan of the game, I'm just telling you the facts.

It only seemed substantial because of how barebones the game shipped. Who knows how much of that they were working on but couldn't finish before release too.

"A new vehicle" is not what I want to read in an announcement for the next update.

I guess I'll wait to see the actual list but I don't have patience for teases from them.

Slythe

I spent around 15 hours with the game at launch, and I enjoyed it quite a bit before the core loop of gather, sell, upgrade, repeat got stale. Didn't help matters that despite my best efforts I could not find the first Atlas Pass. Maybe I'll boot this up once this update goes into effect, I still haven't tried the founders update either.

Fredrik

Can't wait, sunk like 50 hours into the base game, loved the Foundation update and hopefully there's more good stuff in this one. I'm glad they've kept their heads up and continued to work on this unique game.
Yup people claimed that it was a hit'n run scam, said that they took the money and ran, but they just went back to coding and changed sooo much with the huge Foundation update, and here's another assumed bigger update. Respect!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It only seemed substantial because of how barebones the game shipped. Who knows how much of that they were working on but couldn't finish before release too.

A new vehicle is not what I want to read in an announcement.

I guess I'll wait to see the actual list but I don't have patience for teases from them.

... this is not how ... anything works.
My point was that the update was substantial and it pretty much doesnt matter if you feel like it should have been included in the base game. I totally agree with you on this.

But that doesnt matter for the point I was making: The update contained a lot of content and they showed that they are willing to improve the game by substantial margins.

Fredrik

Eh I don't believe that. It made some changes and the addition of building a base (which they didn't want to do to begin with) but I wouldn't say its substantial, the same issues present on release are still there.
It only changed the whole way you play the game. Quite substantial I'd say.

KORNdoggy

spent well over 80 hours in vanilla NMS, but i'm still waiting for that big draw to get me back in. survival mode and base building almost got me, but i need a little more of a push. ideally some sort of on-planet enemy bases to attack and take over, another key pillar of it's systems rather then just an evolution of it's existing ones.

-NeoTB1-

I'm getting closer to the point of trying this game out again. I appreciate what they've done to make it more appealing in recent updates. This may not be the best place to ask, but for those who still play, what are your current thoughts on the base building aspect? That always really appealed to me.

mrlion

It only changed the whole way you play the game. Quite substantial I'd say.

How did it change the way you play exactly? You play it the exact same way...nothing in that update changed how you played it when it was released. There's new features yes but the base game remains the same.

Toma

How did it change the way you play exactly? You play it the exact same way...nothing in that update changed how you played it when it was released. There's new features yes but the base game remains the same.

Did you play it?

Because the base aspect alone changes a lot about how you play the game, how you approach materials and what other activities you partake in.

Qwark

Nice, I haven't touched NMS in a while, but I've been thinking about digging back in.

I haven't been following ME:A, what does Path Finder have to do with it? I assumed it was just a space term that's related to the buggy.

mrlion

Did you play it?

Because the base aspect alone changes a lot about how you play the game, how you approach materials and what other activities you partake in.

Of which none of that changes the way you play the game. Making the game harder also does not solve the many issues it still has.

I'm getting closer to the point of trying this game out again. I appreciate what they've done to make it more appealing in recent updates. This may not be the best place to ask, but for those who still play, what are your current thoughts on the base building aspect? That always really appealed to me.

Base building is well done. but it also depends on what mode you're playing.

You have a mode with unlimited material and you can build up to the max the engine can hold and you can create impressive things.

The regular mode however is the same but harder , depending on where you are in the galaxy , some of those quests ( yes quests ) to unlock the requirements to build more can be Very very tricky ...
But it's without a doubt a very great way to spend time and be proud how what you've built.

The base building aspect was great , it just needed more things to build ( maybe that's coming ? ) the good thing is that you can recycle material should you find a better planet. and that too is great.

In short the base building was great but needed a little bit more things to bluid , but that might be adressed.

Freight customisation however is a game changer. The whole dynamic of exploration IS changed and that make moving around much more entertaining

Of which none of that changes the way you play the game. Making the game harder also does not solve the many issues it still has.
You didn't play the game after the foundation update then.

The game flow changed in subtle ways for the better that's undeniable. If you don't care about those changes , then you don't care about games about exploration and travel

Ahhhhh, man. Does this mean they're adding their own Mako? I wish they'd take a good look at the mods available for this game that vastly improve the gameplay. One in particular solves the on-planet traversal issues by increasing the boost speed of your ship, allowing you to slow all the way down to a hover, allowing you to look down while hovering, and perhaps most importantly letting you fly as low to the ground as you like. Playing the game with that mod feels like this:

Star-Wars-Force-Awakens-X-Wing-Trailer.gif

A land vehicle is not what console players need. Low flying, with faster top speeds and the ability to hover and free-look, solved all these navigation issues.

How about you tell us these issues instead of criticizing without substance.

Stuff that should've been there to begin with is substantial I guess.

How about you point me to the time where base building and land vehicles were announced for release?

Fredrik

You're really downplaying this. Have you played it after the update? Well now it's more about building your homebase, farming, building your freighter, doing classic side quests. You did nothing like that before. Honestly, it completely changed things around.

Ahhhhh, man. Does this mean they're adding their own Mako? I wish they'd take a good look at the mods available for this game that vastly improve the gameplay. One in particular solves the on-planet traversal issues by increasing the boost speed of your ship, allowing you to slow all the way down to a hover, allowing you to look down while hovering, and perhaps most importantly letting you fly as low to the ground as you like. Playing the game with that mod feels like this:

Star-Wars-Force-Awakens-X-Wing-Trailer.gif

A land vehicle is not what console players need. Low flying, with faster top speeds and the ability to hover and free-look, solved all these navigation issues.

I don't disagree with the bolded.
however i'd argue that a land vehicule is greatly needed.
The flying ship was too fast and sometimes not as precise as i would have wanted.
For some planets , all i wanted was a way to trully spend time exploring , not just flying around , especially when the planet had a great atmosphere.

A land vehicule could adress that.

if they can give us a water vehicule too , i'd take it for the same reasons. exploring on foot was too restrictive. and flying around wasn't precise enough. We need a middle ground

belvedere

Junior Butler
I'm hoping that like Foundation, there will be more to the Pathfinder update than just ground vehicle travel.

Fredrik

Very curious what their vehicle will be like. Potential to be pretty neat.
Hopefully some kind of hovercraft. A small hoverbike perhaps? water planets and planets with rough surface or lots of vegetation won't work with a buggy. Interesting to see what they'll choose!

Fedele

Very curious what their vehicle will be like. Potential to be pretty neat.

Same here - Hey Sean make that Burnout 3 dev experience count! ;)

Pretty excited about this update and based on their trend of undercommunicating since launch, I bet it will have more things than just a vehicle.

Oh yeah, and please add planet mechanics.

They can add all the vehicles and base building and multiplayer and VR they want, but until they add compelling A.I. systems to the assorted life on any given planet, I just don't get the appeal.

I've never been one of those angry at the game or devs, bit even if u take what they want the game to be at face value, what is the point exploration without discovering interesting Life?

Combat doesn't have to be great. The game doesn't even need a story. Just let me go to new worlds and watch semi complex systems interact in different ways. That will want to make me explore everywhere.

I don't get this game. Don't get me started on what it would've been like to take a life firm from on planet and drop it onto another planet ecosystem.

What is this game trying to do?

Lom1lo

Uh I hope there is a bit more than a vehicle. Auto Trading for farms in the base would be neat, quests and so stuff

magawolaz

Hopefully some kind of hovercraft. A small hoverbike perhaps? water planets and planets with rough surface or lots of vegetation won't work with a buggy. Interesting to see what they'll choose!
Probably a buggy, this was found in the game code post Foundation Update
lB9Y5kh.jpg

incomplete model:
no_mans_sky_buggy_tyres_leak_capture_1.png

EDIT: beaten with a video^

etrain911

After the initial launch, they don't have a chance of regaining their good will from me. That said, their dedication to the game is impressive and I hope for those playing, it is a good experience. I feel like if it were an EA title priced more fairly, there's a world where I could enjoy the experience more.

JP

Good news!

I know there's been a lot of negativity about the game but it is one of most played games on the PS4. Although I haven't played it recently this will give me a reason to go back to it.

Top Bottom