• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Spoiler Free Early Impressions Thread

Aesthet1c

Man that's crazy how early it's getting leaked into the wild!

Does anyone know if it has Pro support and what is the Vita remote play like? I'll probably be playing a mix of both. Lately I feel like Vita remote play is forgotten and the controls never get mapped well, or tons of gameplay is blocked from streaming.

Can i get some menu gifs?

You mean like these?

lN1gLhc.gif

gXVlFgO.gif

Not mine, found them on the internets.

SUBWAY STATION SIMULATOR OF THE YEAR CONFIRMED
HYPE!

I had to ask people and look up at boards to find my way, so yeah it was a pretty cool panicking feeling of trying to find my way doing transfers and such. Once inside the train there's a bunch of cool details if you look at the NPC's.

LotusHD

Banned
Oh Christ, decided to skip this, Horizon and Nier till they're half price, in favour of Yakuza 0, Nioh and Zelda... still playing all three but damn it's so hard to resist.

You played yourself... but at the same time, you didn't play youself...

Damn, 2017 has too many good games.

daevious

Also, I saw on the Playstation Access stream that there was a time that, during a demon's self-surrender, they didn't have to negotiate to get that persona...if you already have a copy of the persona in your database, do you not need to re-negotiate?

If it's the same system from Nocturne then weakened demons that offer to join you if you spare them do so without having to negotiate.

However, if you have the demon in your stock (not the compendium), then they won't join you. However, they have a higher chance of giving you items for free to compensate.

Mexen

This is why I am buying a PS4 and momentarily taking a break from PC. I played P3P and loved it. Sadly, I missed out on P4.
I don't even know if I can play it on PS4. I can only invest my money in one system at the moment.

This is why I am buying a PS4 and momentarily taking a break from PC. I played P3P and loved it. Sadly, I missed out on P4.
I don't even know if I can play it on PS4. I can only invest my money in one system at the moment.

You skipped the right game, Persona 3 and Persona 5 are superior. Actually, any Persona game is better than Persona 4.

The immersion of finding your way at the subway station is unreal, I guess this how tourist feel when they come to NY. Such a minor detail but it's amazing.

I actually visited Shibuya a bit after I played the game, and I was blown away by replication of the place, right down to some shops in the game, like the bakery next to the Ginza line exit, being themed after the actual shops in the same places.

Okay, glad to know that I'm not the only one who felt that way, hahaha. Yeah, can't wait to play it myself either. For me, the bar for Persona 5 is to be as fun as Persona 4. I'll be more than happy if it manages to achieve that.

It'll jump up, take that bar, break it into half, and then put both broken halves back on higher than before.

...I think I might be overhyping too much/sounding like a fanboy. I should shut up from now on.

P4 was amazing and if you happen to have a PS3, I believe it's on there as well for like $15-$20. I think..

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm....this may be for JPN people too, but two questions regarding mechanics...(slight, slight mechanics spoiler)

Are negotiations still seemingly random in what each individual demon likes? Or is it more based on traditional arcana regarding the questions?

Shadows have personalities displayed next to their name on the analysis screen and right before starting negotiations. I'm going by the Japanese version, so I can't speak to what the exact localized terms will be, but this is all just info from one of the tutorials in the pause menu. "Cheerful" shadows like joke responses, and dislike serious and ambiguous ones, "Timid" shadows like friendly responses and dislike ambiguous and joke replies, "Short Tempered" shadows like serious responses, and dislike ambiguous and gentle answers, and "Gloomy" shadows like ambiguous responses, and dislike serious and joke answers.

Lynx_7

I had to ask people and look up at boards to find my way, so yeah it was a pretty cool panicking feeling of trying to find my way doing transfers and such. Once inside the train there's a bunch of cool details if you look at the NPC's.

I wonder if the effect was intended. I imagine people familiar with Tokyo would feel right at home.

How's the visual presentation? I remember some people in the import OT complaining about low res textures on billboards.

I wonder if the effect was intended. I imagine people familiar with Tokyo would feel right at home.

How's the visual presentation? I remember some people in the import OT complaining about low res textures on billboards.

It's low res yeah, but you can read clearly what it says. The game shows its last gen roots but the art-style elevates it.. its crazy to think this is the first HD persona.

Mexen

P4 was amazing and if you happen to have a PS3, I believe it's on there as well for like $15-$20. I think..

Hm, thanks. I share it with my cousin but he's out of state. At this point, I'm better off investing in Vita as well. The system has titles I can't play on PS4 like MGS HD col and Steins;Gate, although I have Gate on my Steam wishlist. Idk. Thanks for the info though.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Shadows have personalities displayed next to their name on the analysis screen and right before starting negotiations. I'm going by the Japanese version, so I can't speak to what the exact localized terms will be, but this is all just info from one of the tutorials in the pause menu. "Cheerful" shadows like joke responses, and dislike serious and ambiguous ones, "Timid" shadows like friendly responses and dislike ambiguous and joke replies, "Short Tempered" shadows like serious responses, and dislike ambiguous and gentle answers, and "Gloomy" shadows like ambiguous responses, and dislike serious and joke answers.

Gotcha, thanks much!

tdwig

Neo Member
I managed to clear my plate to be ready for this game. Played my way through GR2, Nioh, Nier, & Horizon. Can't be more excited for april 4th, I expect great things.

Currently playing through danganronpa 1&2 for the first time on ps4 to set the tone... KH1.5+2.5 going to have to wait a hot second.

I don't remember where but after the release of the Japanese version some Japanese devs talked about their impressions about them, and some of them commented on how they nailed how confusing Shibuya Station actually is.

The crazy thing is that even though they nailed the representation of the station, Shibuya Station itself is actually much bigger than the in-game version =P

And about the low res billboards... I seriously doubt they changed it for the International release but it would be pretty good if they did since that's the only negative point of the game.

cj_iwakura

I don't remember where but after the release of the Japanese version some Japanese devs talked about their impressions about them, and some of them commented on how they nailed how confusing Shibuya Station actually is.

The crazy thing is that even though they nailed the representation of the station, Shibuya Station itself is actually much bigger than the in-game version =P

The (very unappreciated) Toco Toco interview with Hashino talks about how he based the locations of P5 off of real parts of Tokyo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGb3BNgU7SE

cj_iwakura

Yes, I subscribed to that channel when someone posted that interview. The content is top notch.

If someone wants to imagine how does exploration in Persona 5 feels like they should watch that 10 min video.

They're all wonderful. The Suda51 and Swery ones are fantastic, and their next one is Yoko Taro.

For those that don't like Teddy in 4, you'll love Morgana.. mind you it's early but the character has left more of a positive first impression.

Lynx_7

And about the low res billboards... I seriously doubt they changed it for the International release but it would be pretty good if they did since that's the only negative point of the game.
Haha, nice. I remember reading Yoko Taro's impressions and one Square Enix representative commenting on it, didn't know other developers chimed in. Would be very interested in reading their pieces.

The (very unappreciated) Toco Toco interview with Hashino talks about how he based the locations of P5 off of real parts of Tokyo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGb3BNgU7SE

That brief footage of the baseball mini-game kinda makes me wish it gets as hardcore as that one Pooh bear game.
Considering it's one of their most watched videos I don't know if it's really unappreciated. Just not many gamers are interested in this kind of behind the scenes stuff, specially for such a niche product as this, much to my dismay. Would love more pieces like this and that FF VII Polygon article from a while back.

cj_iwakura

Considering it's one of their most watched videos I don't know if it's really unappreciated. Just not many gamers are interested in this kind of behind the scenes stuff, specially for such a niche product as this, much to my dismay. Would love more pieces like this and that FF VII Polygon article from a while back.

Well, almost no one here talked about it when it was posted, but you have other threads about P5 blowing up, go figure. :p

ViciousDS

Banned
and suddenly all the people posting in this thread got their copy early.

=D

lol

yes, i even asked before buying and sure enough tracking is given and its on its way and in transit

We have them in stock and ready to ship

On 3/23/17, 6:05 AM, viciousds wrote:

viciousds has sent a question about item #352012293618, ending on Apr-21-17 19:56:12 PDT - Persona 5 SteelBook Launch Edition (Sony PlayStation 4, 2017) BRAND NEW

Do you already have persona 5 ready to ship or is this a pre order?

POPnGAME
Customer Support
Mon~Sat : 10am ~ 8pm(Est)

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
17494590_262762570850584_5749795791443066880_n.jpg

Several lucky gaffers have managed to snag the game today in NYC and elsewhere, and more will likely be able to do so in the near future; knowing that, let's discuss it here until the Review Thread and OT hit.

How did you get that?

HOW. DID. YOU. GET. THAT???

EDIT: Oh, that's not you... Still, did the person physically pick it up or did Amazon or something ship it?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm tempted to pick up the US version to play through the game again. That's how much I absolutely adored P5.

Top Bottom