• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS Interactive (GameSpot parent company) buys Giant Bomb

angelfly

Haven't been to Gamespot since Gerstmann-Gate so that won't be changing. Just glad to see in the immediate future that they'll remain the same. However I don't at all believe that CBS at some point won't step in to make some changes.

Akia

I swear John Davison is like the #1 turnaround consultant in Games Journalism

he just legitimized GameSpot again in one fell swoop

Izick

I think he felt bad for Gamespot's editorial staff, not really the company as a whole, even though it's probably hard to separate the two.

In all fairness, Gamespot's managerial team was hired by the higher ups, so they are still partly responsible.

Thomper

Never thought i'd see the day GB became total sellouts, but i guess money does that to everyone. I couldnt help but think "bullshit" on constant loop watching Jeff on the stream this afternoon. That was hilarious. Credibility in the toilet.GIF!

And lol Gamespot of all places, oh how rich that is.

As soon as i heard them say "Oh and yeah of course Giantbomb accounts will be transitioned over to Gamespot accounts" it really clicked for me then.

Expect total access and GB memberships to merge, the two user bases to merge, and then after a year or so the prices to go up on membership values.

Yup.
Yep! You're completely correct! It's not like Dave himself said that GiantBomb-accounts will continue to be completely seperate from GameSpot for the forseeable future, or that John Davison and Jeff Gerstman both loudly proclaimed "NO!" to the question of the two sites merging. Not at all! Great job, duder.

Yup, he's still there

awesome.

He was Gamespots Vinny before Vinny was Vinny.

Plus I remember the 2nd post gerstmann gate On the Spot he broke a camera lens by shooting a BB gun at it.

The interview was good. cleared things up about the departure. Still not sure how things will work out long term but I guess Iwould rather they go with gamespot then IGN or gawker.

If this was in the works for a while I wounder if they tried to make a deal with the Verge guys because that company started a gaming site recently.

Plus if the deal was only signed yesterday and they left the office last week. GB must have been super close to being shut down if CBS backed out at the last minute.

Anyway.. Here is to the start of a new era.

Cant wait to see what Vinny can do with that green screen.

and please for the love of god keep the forums separate.

They dont need the system warz guys on the GB forums crapping things up.

The GB forums are my backup if I ever get banned from here. lol.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Yep! You're completely correct! It's not like Dave himself said that GiantBomb-accounts will continue to be completely seperate from GameSpot for the forseeable future, or that John Davison and Jeff Gerstman both loudly proclaimed "NO!" to the question of the two sites merging. Not at all! Great job, duder.

Foreseeable future. Two key words that will be revisited in due time I am sure.
Duder!

Izick

Haven't been to Gamespot since Gerstmann-Gate so that won't be changing. Just glad to see in the immediate future that they'll remain the same. However I don't at all believe that CBS at some point won't step in to make some changes.

I mean, it's not really a long term business though.

People come to GB to see Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, Dave, and Brad. People want the personalities, so when those guys retire, or move on, the place really doesn't have much of a point.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Basically

iby6TBrgMIKHLP.gif

A heel and a rebel anti-hero coming back together.

AoEDclXCIAEQxZE.jpg:large

SlickVic

If we still get the usual Bombcast crew and Quick Looks I'm ok with this. It is a bit sad if this is the end of seeing Dave on the Giant Bomb side though. Vinny, Drew, and Dave Quick Looks are the best.

He lest just after E3 last year :(.
I really liked him as well but I could tell that he really misses the old days.
he fucking cried @ the on the spot after jeff left.

I'm pretty sure Ryan McDonald is back, his twitter says he works at CBS Interactive and Jeff mentioned that he needs to find Ryan to figure out where everything is.

jediyoshi

Never thought i'd see the day GB became total sellouts, but i guess money does that to everyone. I couldnt help but think "bullshit" on constant loop watching Jeff on the stream this afternoon. That was hilarious. Credibility in the toilet.GIF!

lol how does business work

Jhriad

If we still get the usual Bombcast crew and Quick Looks I'm ok with this. It is a bit sad if this is the end of seeing Dave on the Giant Bomb side though. Vinny, Drew, and Dave Quick Looks are the best.

Dave is on the Giantbomb side of the split so we'll probably see him as much as usual.

How is this the end of Dave on Giant Bomb?

Also I tweeted Dave earlier today and asked him if flight club would continue after they settled in and he said yes.

Khezu

Clearly they bought GB just so they could get rid of there shit reputation they had for the last few years.

Davison better not wig out and run to a new job in a couple months.

Sean

Banned
Is there a video of the Jeff and John "Gerstmann-gate" explanation uploaded somewhere?

It's not really worth watching imo. The only new bit of info revealed was that Sony also complained/threatened to pull advertising over their Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction review in Oct 07 (pre-Kane & Lynch fiasco). Everything else was stuff we already knew.

Oh shit! That reminds me...

ip34ADw843wcG.gif

The guys at GB basically split from the mother-ship because of a power struggle, so they formed their own wolf-pack, but Jeff still loved the original squad, so he decided to take a dive and re-join.
Tested, Screened, and Anime Vice are forever known as nWo B-Team.

coopolon

The firing didn't happen overnight and it was basically poor management that was new to the business and buckled from publisher pressure. He's upset that it ruined Gamespot's reputation for editorial integrity and honesty, even though there was nothing wrong with Gamespot.

This doesn't make sense to me. The website fired someone because of publisher pressure over a review. Fine, it was the managers and not the editors, but it was still the website. Everyone was right to trash Gamespot.

Edit: And didn't everyone at Gamespot line up and say "No, that's not what happened" including editorial staff?

dLMN8R

This doesn't make sense to me. The website fired someone because of publisher pressure over a review. Fine, it was the managers and not the editors, but it was still the website. Everyone was right to trash Gamespot.

Edit: And didn't everyone at Gamespot line up and say "No, that's not what happened" including editorial staff?

"a website" is not some amorphous blob. It's a collection of people. Some were directly attacking specific people who Jeff thought didn't deserve to be attacked. He cleared the air, defending the people who he thought were doing a great job.

hamchan

Jeff seems happy that he gets to work with more old friends and that the people responsible for his firing are pretty much gone now. The real winners are Tested though. Getting to work with the Mythbusters is such a huge opportunity.

Lingitiz

Yeah it was the website, but you can't blame him for being upset that the years they spent building up that editorial integrity of "telling it how it is" was undone by a new management team who didn't understand how the industry works.

Top Bottom