• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton 2 Viral Marketing Bombshell: The Twitter Account Wasn't Real :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
JSnake said:
Really? You think posting a stupid thread is comparable to being a marketing shill fanboy?
I think the thought process and general maturity level is, in this case, comparable.

So to answer your question: yes, really.

JSnake

Rez said:
I think the thought process and general maturity level is, in this case, comparable.

So to answer your question: yes, really.
Is this really a time to compliment the guy?

hurr

Gattsu25

Banned
dammitmattt said:
GAF already does with each big Official Thread.
What in the world is viral about an official thread?

edit: regarding WWRU - who?

Guess that's what I get for passively avoiding threads I don't care about (sales-age or nintendo threads)

Wait, how the heck did the TopHatProfessor account come back? I thought it was deleted. And how did all of the old tweets get salvaged (with their original dates)?

"I figured that if Nintendo wasn't going to make the U.S. release of the second game known, I was going to take matters into my own hands."

Fffffffuuuu

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
JSnake said:

zomg a famous dude thinks i'm cool

i'm hyperventilating

the article said:
While the reaction on Twitter was mostly positive and appreciative of DiLuigi's efforts, the reaction on gaming message board NeoGAF, where DiLuigi was a devoted member, was more negative. When a user turned up the fact that DiLuigi had used NeoGAF to promote the TopHatProfessor account without disclosing his role in creating it, the moderators decided to ban DiLuigi from further posting. "Nothing says more professional than faking a twitter as being some sort of pseudo official thing for Nintendo," wrote NeoGAF user shuri. "You did something stupid and then added layers of stupid on top of it. It was like a stupid cake. And now you're eating it," added user ShockingAlberto. "Why is a 'game journalist' viral marketing for Nintendo for free?" asked user Tiktaalik.

On that last point, DiLuigi defended his actions by arguing there was no real conflict of interest. "While I am the main Nintendo writer for Gaming Vice, I will not be doing the review or any sort of preview for the upcoming Layton game," DiLuigi said. "Those will be given to someone else due to the fact that I admittedly have a bias towards the series." Despite his unorthodox methods, DiLuigi compared the Twitter account to the efforts of any other journalist trying to get more attention for an under-appreciated game in which he believes. "Professional game journalists (i.e. people who do this for a living) do this all the time, to a lesser extent than TopHatProfessor of course."

As for the response of the posters and moderators on his beloved NeoGAF? "Honestly, those reactions were perfectly justified," he said. "I just wanted people to take note of the game's existence and, as evidenced by the Twitter page, I did my job. ... I was banned from an Internet message board. Life goes on."

hey neogaf shoutout

tenritsu

Banned
Sorry for the massive, massive bump but it seems as though WWRU has not yet learned his lesson, :lol

I found this on his Twitter.

http://twitter.com/TopHatProfessor

Apparently WAY more people have been added into the mix since now there is a Twitter account for each of the main characters from Diabolical Box and there are even Twitters (is that the plural of Twitter?) of characters from the next game, The Last Time Travel. The last time I checked up on this it was just him and like five other people and now it's double that.

Roger DiLuigi, you should be Nintendo PR, but you are a fool for doing all of this for no cash. :lol

AshMcCool

tenritsu said:
Sorry for the massive, massive bump but it seems as though WWRU has not yet learned his lesson, :lol

I found this on his Twitter.

http://twitter.com/TopHatProfessor

Apparently WAY more people have been added into the mix since now there is a Twitter account for each of the main characters from Diabolical Box and there are even Twitters (is that the plural of Twitter?) of characters from the next game, The Last Time Travel. The last time I checked up on this it was just him and like five other people and now it's double that.

Roger DiLuigi, you should be Nintendo PR, but you are a fool for doing all of this for no cash. :lol
The way I see it, the problem wasn't that he is making a fan-project. The problem was that he was advertising it on NeoGAF without admitting it is his own baby.

Top Bottom