• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS clarifies Minecraft's Super Duper Graphics DLC coming to all crossplay platforms

I think if you sign up for Microsoft Mixer and watch a Xbox Daily Show you get minecraft for free on Xbox.

I see some folks saying they might buy minecraft, this way it's free ^.

Say what now? I must have misunderstood the mixer thing, I thought the gifts were random? If it's 100% Minecraft that way I gotta do it, then my gf can play on XBone while I play on Switch.

13ruce

Banned
Holy shit minecraft switch is gonna be amazing! Infinite worlds wooohooo!

Sony rekt themselves lmao! (on Minecraft)

I've only played Minecraft on PC, because I can't stand the default look of Minecraft. I don't need crazy textures, just better lighting and shaders. If this runs well on Switch, I'll definitely get it to have on the go. The crappy (imo) look of default Minecraft was the only thing holding me back from getting the Switch version.

VeeP

Say what now? I must have misunderstood the mixer thing, I thought the gifts were random? If it's 100% Minecraft that way I gotta do it, then my gf can play on XBone while I play on Switch.

Oh is it random :/? I thought you receive a "mix pot", as in you receive Rare Replay, Minecraft, etc. I didn't watch E3 with the mixer app so I haven't received my rewards yet, but Xbox has a daily show in half an hour so I'll watch it then.

Sinfamy

What's the difference between the Windows 10 version and the client you download from the site? I don't get it.

LordRaptor

Really useful post - thanks OP!

Interested to see if any PC gamers are annoyed that the original Java version is being demoted...there must be some surely!?

I haven't played it since around the time the Nether was introduced, but I registered for the W10 version because Java under Oracles stewardship is just a malware vector waiting to happen

MCN

Banned
Does this make the Switch version the definitive console version because it has all the features of the others, plus portability?

paulogy

This is pretty clever that they're forcing cross-play with PS4 to enable the other unrelated bells & whistles.

The hope I'm sure is this would create a precedent and pave the way for cross-play for other titles (ex: Rocket League)

ASTROID2

What's the difference between the Windows 10 version and the client you download from the site? I don't get it.

The client from their site is a much more updated version of Minecraft. With many mechanics that are not in the win 10 and console versions. Win 10 and console are way behind the original PC version.

jackdoe

Maybe Sony's refusal had to do more with them been publishers of the Minecraft versions of their platforms, so they get a good chunk of the money (?). While every version part of this "together" thing is published by Microsoft.

And maybe I missed it, but Wii U version hasn't been mentioned, has it? Though Switch is the only platform I don't currently own this game, Wii U is were I play it.
This would make a lot of sense if Sony as a publisher get a larger cut of the sales as opposed to if they were only a platform holder.

Oh is it random :/? I thought you receive a "mix pot", as in you receive Rare Replay, Minecraft, etc. I didn't watch E3 with the mixer app so I haven't received my rewards yet, but Xbox has a daily show in half an hour so I'll watch it then.

I dunno! Is it going on for more than one day, or do you have to watch this Xbox Show on your Xbox? I'm at work but if it's something I can sign in to and watch online here then I'll do it too and we can both find out!

sangreal

The client from their site is a much more updated version of Minecraft. With many mechanics that are not in the win 10 and console versions. Win 10 and console are way behind the original PC version.

no they aren't. A year ago, sure, but not today

Sacul64GC

Banned
Wonder why they didnt just hold off for this version before they released on switch

They kinda did IMO, I work at GS and have been questioning why we had gotten zero marketing for the switch version not even a download code SKU (literally made my own art canablizing a Wii u art and switch logos). Now it makes that we will likely get marketing for it around the bedrock edition and possibly a physical version.

Flintty

MS smashing it with Minecraft. Will Switch be able to run the new graphics AND infinite world though? I thought they scaled the world down a bit?

Edit: still getting it for Switch regardless. I use it for travel on business and being able to play with my kids whilst I'm away is just amazing.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I haven't played Minecraft since my college days, playing the free version on pc with friends, now I got it downloading on my switch right now

g11

Boo Sony. IDGAF about cross platform play with other consoles really but I want that graphics update. I hope they cave eventually.

Ok I went and signed up and linked my account, but I'm making a new reply instead of just editing my other one because it's not Minecraft for Xbox you get for free in the MixPot, it's just a skins pack for Minecraft for Xbox. Wah wahh.

Why would Nintendo have an issue with that? The only other player in the market that was dead-set on not allowing crossbuy is Apple.

Besides the obvious "losing the 30% cut from DLC sales purchased from other platforms", I surprised that Nintendo has an online system that's outright capable of supporting this kind of transactions. Plus, they're super conservative on online in general.

And a fair point on Apple. I would not be surprised if they take action to prevent this.

Cerium

They kinda did IMO, I work at GS and have been questioning why we had gotten zero marketing for the switch version not even a download code SKU (literally made my own art canablizing a Wii u art and switch logos). Now it makes that we will likely get marketing for it around the bedrock edition and possibly a physical version.

There will be a new physical version.

When I first saw that listing it was called Minecraft Ultimate (you can still see it in the URL), looks like they changed it to Super Plus Pack.

It's basically a Minecraft relaunch.

VeeP

Ok I went and signed up and linked my account, but I'm making a new reply instead of just editing my other one because it's not Minecraft for Xbox you get for free in the MixPot, it's just a skins pack for Minecraft for Xbox. Wah wahh.

Oh wow :(, sorry man. My bad.

Chille

Since I'm not a Minecraft player, I will take your word on it. No denying that Mods probably could work wonders into Minecraft and I have seen just how crazy it can get.

For one reason or another, Sony has been really paranoid about Crossplay. I don't know when it started, but I think it was back when Rocket League expressed interest for crossplay. Microsoft was all for it, but Sony turned down the offer. Seems like the first actual "Cross-Console" play could very well be between Microsoft and Nintendo. Mind you if there was something that had happened sooner (not counting Xbox and PC for obvious reasons), then feel free to correct me.

Final Fantasy XI was cross play with PS2/PC/XB360

Top Bottom