• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more exclusives throughout the year

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This is what is stopping me from even considering an XBOX One X. When their game output is so poor, why would I want one? I keep waiting for them to get their act together, and they refuse to.

To me Xbox one X is already unless. Most if not all xbox exclusive also coming on PC. if u care that much about performance why not get PC. Also PC is starting get lot more japanese games like Nier Automata and Ni no ni 2 that xbox is not gonna get.

There isn't a single game in existence that convinces everyone to purchase a system. This is an incredibly odd argument you're making.

All I did was answer a quote to the question that was just the image of box art. I'm not making any less sense than NGB being the reason anyone bought an Xbox over PS2. What point are you trying to make? >.>

All I did was answer a quote to the question that was just the image of box art. I'm not making any less sense than NGB being the reason anyone bought an Xbox over PS2. What point are you trying to make? >.>

That different games appeal to different people and because of this, certain software will move hardware? This isn't rocket science. There were Xbox-only console owners during the sixth generation.

What makes black better than sigma? Serious question

Game balance and overall pacing. Sigma is fine, but Black is just a tighter, more enjoyable experience. The Rachel sections in Sigma are horrible and ruin the pacing. And there's extra load-times. I also remember Sigma being easier, but I could be mis-remembering that. Black is very challenging, but fair.

My Question is why MS doesnt try bring big JRPGs here like these?

Persona 5
Nier Automata (came out on PC and the original game was on 360)
Dragon Quest XI (also coming on Switch)
Ni no Kuni 2 ( also coming on PC)
.hack//G.U. Last Recoded (also coming on PC)

If games like Yakuza and Persona series ever gets released in other platforms there is a bigger chance PC getting it than Xbox.

The answer is simple: Japanese publishers don't think those games would sell on Xbox and based on their sales so far this gen and even last gen, they're probably right. Microsoft can't force them to put those games on Xbox.

That different games appeal to different people and because of this, certain software will move hardware? This isn't rocket science. There were Xbox-only console owners during the sixth generation.

Duh. System sellers are titles that appeal to groups of people outside of whatever their typical style of game might be. Halo sold a shit load of consoles. NGB did not. If by 2006 PS2 had a 4:1 lead over Xbox I'd say NGB didn't do much to change that.

You're reading too much into a simple reply to a picture.

Duh. System sellers are titles that appeal to groups of people outside of whatever their typical style of game might be. Halo sold a shit load of consoles. NGB did not. If by 2006 PS2 had a 4:1 lead over Xbox I'd say NGB didn't do much to change that.

You're reading too much into a simple reply to a picture.

No one said Ninja Gaiden was a massive system seller that set the Xbox on a course to prosperity, but you're absolutely wrong to believe it didn't move any hardware. It was a very successful game and one of the defining titles of the system.

To me Xbox one X is already unless. Most if not all xbox exclusive also coming on PC. if u care that much about performance why not get PC. Also PC is starting get lot more japanese games like Nier Automata and Ni no ni 2 that xbox is not gonna get.

I have PC as well but I prefer to play on console for couch/60" 4K reasons. I would get an X if there was a reason to get one. A yearly Forza isn't enough, especially with Gran Turismo Sport releasing soon. I don't care at all about 343's Halo or Gears.

What makes black better than sigma? Serious question

Game balance and overall pacing. Sigma is fine, but Black is just a tighter, more enjoyable experience. The Rachel sections in Sigma are horrible and ruin the pacing. And there's extra load-times. I also remember Sigma being easier, but I could be mis-remembering that. Black is very challenging, but fair.

Sigma is also missing a couple of levels, costumes, and the difficulty is a little too easy. Black was vanilla DMC3 difficulty but amped up. That game had no chill.

Melchiah

Microsoft spent big last gen if I'm not mistaken. They had lots of exclusives and timed exclusives like bioshock, gta4 dlc, cod dlc, eternal sonata, ace combat 6, beautiful katamari, blue dragon and more. This gen they haven't really had anything like that.

They spent a lot of money on timed 3rd party exclusives back then, which only prevented others from playing them. They could have spent the resources on bolstering their 1st party efforts instead, and reap the rewards now when they can't get 3rd party exclusives that easily.

Danjin44

The answer is simple: Japanese publishers don't think those games would sell on Xbox and based on their sales so far this gen and even last gen, they're probably right. Microsoft can't force them to put those games on Xbox.

Thats fair, and I can't say they didn't try. With 360 they put bunch of JRPGs like

Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Tales of Vasperia (to this day we still didn't got PS3 version here)
Eternal Sonata
Star Ocean 4
Infinite Undiscovered
The Last Remnant
They even managed to bring mainline FF to Xbox for first time with FFXIII.

Bioshocker

I get the feeling that Microsoft is simply riding this generation out, aware that basically nothing they do at this point will change the tide for Xbox One. They have tried. Time exclusive for Rise of the Tomb Raider (a fantastic game), exclusive Remedy game Quantum Break (a not so fantastic game), ReCore and of course Gears, Forza and Halo, including Halo Wars and the Master Chief Collection. Nothing's really been on fire saleswise.

But I agree, it's not enough. I had hoped Microsoft would've shown several new IPs at E3, but even though there were a lot of games there, the kind of games I would love for Xbox One weren't. Maybe except for Super Lucky's Tale, but that looks a bit weak. I want a The Last of Us/Days Gone type of adventure game for the format, and I think it would do well on Xbox. I guess I have to keep enjoying that kind of experience on my PS4.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Why would Japanese games not count? They make the PS4 lineup that much stronger.

That said, look at what Sony has coming next year (and beyond)
- God of War
- Spider-Man
- Days Gone
- Detroit
- Last of Us Part 2

How many of those are Japanese?

Plus you already have:
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Uncharted 4
- Ratchet & Clank
- Until Dawn
- Resogun
- Infamous Second Son
- Pyre

That non-Japanese lineup alone beats the Xbox catalogue IMO.

When did I say they don't count?

I said they're the major difference.

No one said Ninja Gaiden was a massive system seller that set the Xbox on a course to prosperity, but you're absolutely wrong to believe it didn't move any hardware. It was a very successful game and one of the defining titles of the system.

You're right, I'm not arguing that it wasn't a successful title for Xbox. I guess my point is that if NG/B was the best Xbox could come up with (which it wasn't, compared to their other offerings) to convince people to buy Xbox instead of PS2, then in that context it still wasn't a great title. And again, my post was just a reply to that specific image. Halo easily was a bigger system seller than NG/B, and PS2 still sold like crazy. My original post was in reply to "games that convinced people to buy Xbox instead of PS2", which were not that many people according to the hardware numbers during the time period of that titles release (2004-2006).

The God

They're in a pretty bad spot. They can't/won't acquire new studios, and they can only have so many 3rd party collaborations. They're just limited in ways to secure games

lol, a game is not successful because it is or isn't a system seller. Lower your expectations.

That's true, but your comment was still wrong.

I know this, because I worked retail in 2004/2005 and sold Xbox consoles with copies of Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden Black to customers. So, while this is anecdotal, your sweeping statement is wrong. We're not talking about Fusion Frenzy here. Ninja Gaiden and Black were critical darlings and sold very well. It is absolutely the type of game that can convince someone to purchase a console. Now, If you want to argue that the game wasn't a meaningful hardware mover, go for it.

Danjin44

They're in a pretty bad spot. They can't/won't acquire new studios, and they can only have so many 3rd party collaborations. They're just limited in ways to secure games

I think Xbox still selling well. they are just concentrating more in to MP only or MP focus games like PBUG and Sea of Thieves, which honestly sells lot more than any JRPG here.

I think Xbox still selling well. they are just concentrating more in to MP only or MP focus games like PBUG and Sea of Thieves, which honestly sells lot more than any JRPG here.

PUBG is coming to PS4 as well, though. Isn't Sea of Thieves F2P? How can you compare sales to NieR Automata for example?

Tagyhag

I agree, but it's just not that simple.

The 360 didn't just get a bunch of exclusives because it came out first. It was Microsoft giving it a huge financial push because Bill and Steve Ballmer were into the Xbox and saw that it could pay off huge.

It took a while but they finally saw some profits.

Then Satya Nadella came, and he couldn't have come at a worse time. That was the aftermath of Don Mattrick's monumental fuck up and sales already showed the PS4 beating the Xbox One.

While Nadella was initially cold on Microsoft, he's been turning his opinion around so hopefully that means they'll pay more financial attention to it. We've already seen by this year's E3 conference that they're trying harder.

My guess out of my ass is that if the Xbox One X does well, they'll allow Phil full reign in whatever vision he has for the next Xbox, and they will learn from their mistakes of the original Xbox One design.

If they do all that, I can definitely see them getting more into exclusives again (While still having their PC ports).

Felensis

Banned
I've sold my Xbox One at the beginning of this year and just recently got a PS4 Pro because of this. Couldn't be less excited for XB1X than I'm already are. I don't care about the next 'most powerful console on earth' if there are literally no (exclusive) games on it I'm interested in. Sony has all those amazing exclusive IPs and they keep delivering just like they did on PS3. For that alone Sony absolutely deserves the massive success of PS4.

They spent a lot of money on timed 3rd party exclusives back then, which only prevented others from playing them. They could have spent the resources on bolstering their 1st party efforts instead, and reap the rewards now when they can't get 3rd party exclusives that easily.

What were the big third party timed exclusive games from last gen on 360 again? I know there's Bioshock, Mass Effect 2, and a bunch of DLC. Though in the case of ME2 there was probably a bit more to the deal considering Microsoft was the original publisher of the series.

Edit: Oh, and a bunch of XBLA stuff. A lot of that had to do with the bad publisher requirement system on indie games.

Danjin44

PUBG is coming to PS4 as well, though. Isn't Sea of Thieves F2P? How can you compare sales to NieR Automata for example?

Oh!!! i was under impression that it coming out on Xbox first, is not? I also didn't know Sea of Thieves was F2P. Also i was generally taking about how in west MP games does much better than JRPG.

"Xbox One has no games!"
I can't stand this argument. Sure, if you're picking between PS4 and Xbox One S this year so far, Xbox has less exclusives in 2017. However, when people start putting Nintendo in the same discussion, it just shows that they just have a propaganda to want Xbox One to fail.

Not only did Xbox One have games in 2017, it has more game prominent games than Switch.

I look at my Switch. Sure, there's stellar exclusives and some good third party. But they are few and far between:
1. Zelda
2. Mario Kart 8
3. Arms
4 Splatoon 2
5. Lego City
6. NBA(maybe count?)
7. Just Dance( doesn't seem to count as worthy games in the minds of Neogaf)

Sure you can say these games can keep you busy for a full year. But then you cannot argue Xbox One can't get you through the full year. I can easily double the number of Nintendo and I can prove it. It's just that they are not exclusives so don't qualified as games in the minds of Neogaf.

Examples of games that are not exclusives so don't qualified as Xbox games in 2017 so far:
1. Resident Evil 7
2. Cities Skylines
3. Tekken 7
4. What remains of Edith Finch
5. Prey
6. Dark Souls III DLC
7. Little Nightmares
8. For Honor
9. The Long Dark
10. Lego City
11. The Surge
12. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
13. Telltale Games: Walking Dead, Guardian of Galaxy
14. Friday the 13th
15. Injustice
16. Marvel vs Capcom

XBOX HAS NO GAMES!

Edit: I do agree Microsoft needs more games to promote throughout a year. But that still doesn't mean Xbox has no games.

If they can't make hardware and software at the same time like literally every other platform holder, then they have a bigger problem that isnt their exclusive line up

Agreed. They also placed way too much faith in Gears and Halo, assuming that those two franchise would carry the way, when in fact neither series has resonated with Xbox fans this generation after handing the responsibity to new devs.

I want an X because I like how it looks and I like new things but I'll probably buy 3-4 games a year for it and that seems kind of dumb the more I think about it.

Danjin44

Sea of Thieves is a full priced retail game.
Okay I'm confused, is F2P or not? Either way I myself don't care for MP only games but my point was in the west MP only or MP focus games like Overwatch and COD sell much better than JRPG.

TDLink

Microsoft just clearly doesn't care about exclusives. Nadella was not exactly pro-Xbox before becoming CEO. And XBONE was already launched when he took the post, so he was kinda stuck anyways if he really wanted to get rid of it. So now he talks the PR talk (as does everyone else involved), but their actions are clear: They're moving away from a heavy investment in gaming.

The games they're still producing as a first party are all service-focused, and they're committed to bringing all games to Windows now (which is actually great for gamers, to not have to buy their box--so i'm not complaining), and that's their clear goal now. Get more people onto Windows 10. There's literally no reason to buy a XBOX if you have a competent Windows PC. And if you don't, that's why they're selling a box. But really, I feel like after this gen Microsoft is going to mostly be done with the gaming industry. Maybe still put out Halo and Forza, but that's about it.

Okay I'm confused, is F2P or not? Either way I myself don't care for MP only games but my point was in the west MP only or MP focus games like Overwatch and COD sell much better than JRPG.
It's gonna be an online game like Destiny.
500K for $30 /= 500K for $60 though...

(SoT probably has a higher dev budget too, making it even harder to break even)

Fortnite has a $60 physical version currently being sold at a lot of retails. That's not to mention the numerous higher tier expensive digital versions of the game.

Gurish

They need more exclusives period. It's not like they are releasing during the holidays tons of exclusives so the only problem is that they aren't spreading them. They barely got any to begin with.

Fortnite has a $60 physical version currently being sold at a lot of retails. That's not to mention the numerous higher tier expensive digital versions of the game.

Oh wow, a future F2P game had a $60 retail release for early access?

Are consumers that gullible?

Point taken then, SoT may have a chance then.

MS simply don't have the studio capacity to pump out more exclusive titles. We always know what their 3 main studios are working on apart from Rare.

Way I see it is MS is basically not touching anything that's not GAAS with a ten foot pole.
They are more inclined to games that allow them to make tons of money continuously which isn't a bad business model at all.

"Xbox One has no games!"
I can't stand this argument. Sure, if you're picking between PS4 and Xbox One S this year so far, Xbox has less exclusives in 2017. However, when people start putting Nintendo in the same discussion, it just shows that they just have a propaganda to want Xbox One to fail.

Not only did Xbox One have games in 2017, it has more game prominent games than Switch.

I look at my Switch. Sure, there's stellar exclusives and some good third party. But they are few and far between:
1. Zelda
2. Mario Kart 8
3. Arms
4 Splatoon 2
5. Lego City
6. NBA(maybe count?)
7. Just Dance

Sure you can say these games can keep you busy for a full year. But then you cannot argue Xbox One can't get you through the full year. I can easily double the number of Nintendo and I can prove it. It's just that they are not exclusives so don't qualified as games in the minds of Neogaf.

Examples of games that are not exclusives so don't qualified as Xbox games in 2017 so far:
1. Resident Evil 7
2. Cities Skylines
3. Tekken 7
4. What remains of Edith Finch
5. Prey
6. Dark Souls III DLC
7. Little Nightmares
8. For Honor
9. The Long Dark
10. Lego City
11. The Surge
12. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
13. Telltale Games: Walking Dead, Guardian of Galaxy
14. Friday the 13th

XBOX HAS NO GAMES!

People are just pointing out the exclusive output is a little meager (1st or 3rd party).
Xbox definitely has more than enough 3rd party support as you point out.

It's just that exclusives can sometimes serve as cool and unique software that can't be had anywhere else.

Oh wow, a future F2P game had a $60 retail release for early access?

Are consumers that gullible?

Point taken then, SoT may have a chance then.

I was fooled into buying that unfinished game. I knew it was early access but calling it "early access" is generous.

-_______-

Top Bottom