• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Phantasy Star Zero Thread (US)

timnich

Just picked it up from gamestop. I haven't had time to try it yet, but will definitly be putting up my friend code once I get started.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
kiryogi said:
Prequel actually.
Incorrect! But I'm not about to spoil the storyline. :)

For those who are big Phantasy Star story buffs, however: Play through the game, beat it, and then see if an additional bonus quest opens up for you. When you get there, be sure to read the messages - and be up to snuff on your PSO lore and names.

In other awesome news:

4094419142_c932401ef9.jpg

Behold the Rappy T-shirt!

Edit: To celebrate, I'm actually going to give one of these away. First person to post on this thread with a picture of themselves and their copy of the game scores the shirt!

kiryogi

Banned
RubyEclipse said:
Edit: To celebrate, I'm actually going to give one of these away. First person to post on this thread with a picture of themselves and their copy of the game scores the shirt!

Gimme that tshirt! :D

psz.jpg

Ruby:
I don't recall, but it's been awhile. Didn't they say at the end the planet was Ragol, or was it that they sent off a Pioneer ship. I forget, but I'm pretty sure what it mentioned meant Zero was prequel to PSO

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
kiryogi said:
Gimme that tshirt! :D

psz.jpg

Ruby:
I don't recall, but it's been awhile. Didn't they say at the end the planet was Ragol, or was it that they sent off a Pioneer ship. I forget, but I'm pretty sure what it mentioned meant Zero was prequel to PSO

Winner!

In regard to the storyline:

The end will reveal one key name - and that name will explain everything.

kiryogi

Banned
RubyEclipse said:
Winner!

In regard to the storyline:

The end will reveal one key name - and that name will explain everything.

>_< I'll have to check again. So how do I claim my prize :D

Valkyria Facebook page said:
Selvaria Fanboys(/girls), check this out: Selvaria's Lance and Shield are appearing as cameo unlockable weapons in the newly released Phantasy Star Zero for DS! We're going to give away the unlock code for Selvaria's shield here on Facebook next week!

So theres that.

Played a friends import JP copy yesterday to decide whether or not I should import this (EU release Feb 2010 :lol) and decided against it because I just hate the controls. Holding down a button to stay locked onto an enemy and no camera control made me feel like it was a form of hand torture. Playing PSP1 feels like night and day to this. I appreciate it is "more PSO" with the shp shp SCHWING-ing and mag feeding, but I find PSP to be just a far better controlling game and more fun. So I'm out!

Now Ruby, you will answer when PSP2 is coming soon or I'll hound you in every topic!

Teknoman

IMPRESSIONS

Visuals
Playing through the first story mode quest: Graphics are actually pretty nice for a DS 3d game. The enemies seem pretty well designed with detailed textures/models, and the environments have that sort of PSO exploratory feel to them...the feeling that you're actually checking out an isolated area that no one has ventured into for awhile. The colors themselves are pretty vibrant Framerate seems pretty much locked at 30, havent had any slowdown yet. Character customization is sort of limited, and you may end up running into clones online, but its still decent if you like the whole Wild ARMs meets PSO asthetic. You can also choose your MAGs base colors. Some story scenes are told through quick, decent quality anime cutscenes, while most normal conversation takes place with images that mouth the text.

Gameplay/controls
Controls seem easy. Moving with the d-pad isnt as bad as you'd think in a 3d DS game, so thats a plus. You use the R button to switch between your two action palletes (choices of what to do/use), and press L to center the camera or hold L to lock onto an enemy/object. The map is on touch screen, and you can zoom in by touching its specific section. This replaces the entire touch screen with a zoomed in version of the map, next to the standard minimap, complete with letter/number grid organization. Visual chat seems like it will be kinda cool to use online, and of course you can save messages for quick use. Really dont see whats so bad about the interface...I guess it could be a little more streamlined for easy access, but as things are, it gets the job done.

Audio
Music is really nice. Its sort of like the world itself, a mix of Wild ARMs and PSO. The environmental ambient noises are pretty nice as well, things like wind blowing through an open canyon area, and birds calling in the distance sound great. Like Kiryogi said earlier, the dynamic change in the music when fighting is back. A few of the sound effects (menu noises) are straight out of PSO. The english dub is decent, and the conversations never drone on for too long.

So far it seems like a really great entry into the Phantasy Star series...havent played online or anything of course, so cant comment on connection quality. However, I know you definitely can use your story mode character in MP just like the other games. Will post more after taking out the first boss.

kiryogi

Banned
Teknoman said:
IMPRESSIONS

Gameplay/controls
Havent figured out how to lock onto an enemy,

L is your lockon. And honestly, the dpad really does suck compared to analog. Not to mention if you're trying to switch equipment in battle, you'll be a sitting duck as you can't move while in your status menu.

You have to hold L down to lock on to an enemy and enter strafing mode, and the distance between you and an enemy to do it is really shitty and clumsy. I hated it and it was giving me serious hand-cramp towards the end. Also no quick changing for weapons either put me back a bit as well as the limitation of actions available. Eh, oh well! I will agree its probably the best looking DS game I've played though, it certainly pushes the hardware a lot.

Valkyria Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Valkyria-Chronicles/40723298722

Teknoman

kiryogi said:
L is your lockon. And honestly, the dpad really does suck compared to analog. Not to mention if you're trying to switch equipment in battle, you'll be a sitting duck as you can't move while in your status menu.

lol yeah just figured that out, and yeah the d-pad isnt ideal for 3d movement, but its not as bad as say Mario 64 DS. Of course i've just put a little time into the game, so I cant say whether this will wear thin after awhile.

I do miss quick weapon switching from PSP1, but with this I guess it would be better to just change weapons after a fight.

kiryogi

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:
You have to hold L down to lock on to an enemy and enter strafing mode, and the distance between you and an enemy to do it is really shitty and clumsy. I hated it and it was giving me serious hand-cramp towards the end. Also no quick changing for weapons either put me back a bit as well as the limitation of actions available. Eh, oh well! I will agree its probably the best looking DS game I've played though, it certainly pushes the hardware a lot.

Valkyria Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Valkyria-Chronicles/40723298722

Yeah, I really think considering what it's pushing and offering, it's probably the best looking 3d ds game to date.

2DMention

Banned
I jumped online, and nobody was on. :p

Been playing the first quest, and I'm stuck! The little icon tells me I haven't been to the areas and I have, and I've cleared every area of mobs so there's an empty treasure chest in them.

There's only one area I can't clear, and that's locked by a double barrier that I can't open. There's also an area with a teleporter that doesn't do anything.

sfried

Does anybody know what to do in the Join Party screen? Do I just automatically join a group or do I have to select something? What do the lock/unlock options do?

Teknoman

2DMention said:
I jumped online, and nobody was on. :p

Been playing the first quest, and I'm stuck! The little icon tells me I haven't been to the areas and I have, and I've cleared every area of mobs so there's an empty treasure chest in them.

There's only one area I can't clear, and that's locked by a double barrier that I can't open. There's also an area with a teleporter that doesn't do anything.

I would help, but I dont think you can do story mode quests online.

RedSwirl

From what I'm hearing the US version, just like the JP version, doesn't support WPA. Any hope of anyone figuring out the proper ports to forward for this game?

Teknoman

Damn it...sold all minor weapons I found. Guess i'll have to horde stuff that boosts ATP and ATA. Then again, i'm a ranger, and my best weapon right now is an Iron Spear with 45% Native.

RagolSlayer

Neo Member
Picked this up today even though I already own the Japanese version. Does that mean I can get a free Rappy t-shirt? XD Just kidding.

Man, playing this again (especially after messing around with the PSP2 demo) reminds me how much I hated the D-pad.

sfried

RedSwirl said:
From what I'm hearing the US version, just like the JP version, doesn't support WPA.
That goes for any native DS games in general. Now DSi-enhanced/exclusive titles most likely makes use of the extra info in the firmware which would allow WPA.

Going back to PSZero, I hate how the manual itself doesn't really tell you much of anything regarding keeping track of people coming in/out of a hosted party. In fact I still could figure out how to join one. In fact, I was surprised by how flimsy it is overall.

Really enjoying the game so far. I missed the fun of feeding and raising a mag as you explore the dungeon. This game really does feel like PSO did. <3

I wish some of those visual chats from the Japanese trailers were available in the game somehow. Some of those drawings were awesome. If I remember correctly, the SoA website had screenshots of some of these visual chats with English text but they don't exist anymore.

RedSwirl

sfried said:
That goes for any native DS games in general. Now DSi-enhanced/exclusive titles most likely makes use of the extra info in the firmware which would allow WPA.

Going back to PSZero, I hate how the manual itself doesn't really tell you much of anything regarding keeping track of people coming in/out of a hosted party. In fact I still could figure out how to join one. In fact, I was surprised by how flimsy it is overall.

Still, there was a year between the Japanese and US releases of this game. They couldn't adjust that, especially considering the game came out in Japan a month after the DSi's launch there.

Looks like I'll be paying the price of the game again for a Wi-Fi USB adapter before I can even get online.

sfried

RedSwirl said:
Still, there was a year between the Japanese and US releases of this game. They couldn't adjust that, especially considering the game came out in Japan a month after the DSi's launch there.

Looks like I'll be paying the price of the game again for a Wi-Fi USB adapter before I can even get online.
I guess that's the reason why Sega rereleased the multiplayer aspect as Phantasy Star Mini on DSiWare.

If you have a spare router, you can just save yourself the trouble by making a hidden WEP access point connected to your main router.

Teknoman

sfried said:
I guess that's the reason why Sega rereleased the multiplayer aspect as Phantasy Star Mini on DSiWare.

If you have a spare router, you can just save yourself the trouble by making a hidden WEP access point connected to your main router.

I thought PS Mini was just like a demo of sorts?

RagolSlayer

Neo Member
Sega Blog said:
Our first PSZ Event: Play with SEGA!

Want to team up with the folks at SEGA and run through some dungeons? This is your chance to run with those of us in San Francisco - no matter where you live - and score some sweet Visual Chat (and maybe exclusive items!) at the same time!

When: Tuesday, November 17th from 4:00 - 6:00 PM Pacific!

Who: Anyone with a copy of Phantasy Star Zero!

How to join: Be among the first to post your friend code in the comments when we post the Event Blog next Monday! We have room for at least 30 or so people, and might even take that higher if community response is high!

=D Hoping that we'll get some good Visual Chats from it.

Go check out the SoA blog if you're interested.

RedSwirl

Teknoman said:
I thought PS Mini was just like a demo of sorts?

Hast to be. If it were the full multiplayer for just $5 (or $10) and was coming to NA we wouldn't even be messing around with the full physical game.

RedSwirl said:
Hast to be. If it were the full multiplayer for just $5 (or $10) and was coming to NA we wouldn't even be messing around with the full physical game.

From what I remember reading, it was $2 for a single time-trial like area of sorts. You were basically competing on time and these would be posted to a leaderboard.

Also, damn you Amazon! Where is my copy??!?

d0c_zaius

Picket it up and played through some of the story mode.

Using the dpad is not as cool, but i got used to it. Getting used to the "ice skating" style of the animation was not something I expected, but the gameplay, items, sound.....everything is good enough so far to make me think of PSO again.

Of course the art style is different, but the more anime-ish style didnt bother me. The items appearing out of the box is kinda goofy.

All in all, its always great to find a good Sega game

Teknoman

Hey didnt know they had gunblades in this game :lol

EDIT: Going to have fun making different Visual Chat shortcuts for certain situations :D

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
How many levels are there? 4 like PSO? 8 like Ep1&2? 10(?) like BB? A bajillion like PSU?

omg rite said:
That's ridiculously silly. An extra $5 makes the price tag suck for a game that requires a subscription fee on consoles?

Can't imagine why $35 would "suck" but the normal and fair $30 doesn't.

Cause the far superior handheld Phantasy Star is only $5 more! Premium handheld game pricing is always crap but when its from similar games from the same company its even more lame~

kiryogi

Banned
Lindsay said:
How many levels are there? 4 like PSO? 8 like Ep1&2? 10(?) like BB? A bajillion like PSU?

Cause the far superior handheld Phantasy Star is only $5 more! Premium handheld game pricing is always crap but when its from similar games from the same company its even more lame~

7+1 offline exclusive. Also for what you said earlier about the cutscenes, they really drone on later on. Look forward to that :lol

Teknoman

Wow...after playing online with Siegfried, I got beat up by Rayburn bad. Could be because I was lvl 5 and Sieg was 12, but still :lol

Anyway, are gunblades good for Rangers? Or are they pretty much just for Hunters who want ranged and melee in one?

EDIT: The areas seem to randomize themselves layout wise.

Foxix Von

Oh wow. I was expecting this to be bad...

I just got home not too long ago, still on the starter mission. And although the styling is very PSU, this has the heart and soul of PSO gameplay here.

Godammit this is going to be the start of an addiction :lol

I could make a longer post but... it would pretty much echo what Teknoman said. Honestly I'm not seeing the interface issues that were complained about. Targeting is at times a little wonky but it works and gets the job done. Overall this is a very legitimate entry into the phantasy star series and a game that, so far, I'm glad to have in my collection as it feels in some respects like an improvement in the PSO formula.

This is gonna be fun, looking forward to hopping online.

VQ

Foxix Von

Drinky Crow said:
oh god this game is unplayably bad

How so? So far the game is extremely playable for me, surprisingly polished and has that nice methodical PSO rhythm. The timing of the attacks are different from where they were in PSO and take a little getting used to but once I got them down it's quite satisfying getting a proper chain going. I also really like how they fitted the Photon Arts for hunters in, rather than just grinding a skill, it's treated as an attribute of the weapon, sort of like special attacks in PSO except far more useful and satisfying.

It's nifty that there is both elemental weapon attributes and the whole enemy % system on weapons from PSO. Really aweseme.

Only problem I've had is trying to get into a public game. I get a connection error but other than that, this is a surprisingly great game so far. It's really good PSO on the go, so to speak :D

VQ

kiryogi

Banned
Foxix said:
How so? So far the game is extremely playable for me, surprisingly polished and has that nice methodical PSO rhythm. The timing of the attacks are different from where they were in PSO and take a little getting used to but once I got them down it's quite satisfying getting a proper chain going. I also really like how they fitted the Photon Arts for hunters in, rather than just grinding a skill, it's treated as an attribute of the weapon, sort of like special attacks in PSO except far more useful and satisfying.

It's nifty that there is both elemental weapon attributes and the whole enemy % system on weapons from PSO. Really aweseme.

Only problem I've had is trying to get into a public game. I get a connection error but other than that, this is a surprisingly great game so far. It's really good PSO on the go, so to speak :D

VQ

Well his factors are legit in that he hates Ds 3d, and the controls are pretty godawful bad (But you can get used to them) There's also the camera too. I've gone over this with him in the jp thread.

i can't even tell what the enemies are supposed to be! and the controls + ice skating + gibberish textures + hideous saturn-grade special effects = DEAR LORD WHY AM I PLAYING THIS

Teknoman

I like how they actually included pop ups for when people come online or are hosting. Though I will say we need to get more organized :lol Need to do a 4 person game. Bosses are pretty challenging in MP, but im not sure how you get access to quests.

Also a few question about weapons: Whats better? Higher ATP and ATA, or enemy weakness percent? Or just try for an even mix of both? And should I just try to have a good weapon for each situation? Playing as a RAmar, but its been awhile.

Top Bottom