• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I planned on grabbing the newest AMD GPU anyway - think I'd be fine sticking with the 4690k?

Unless you're also going for 144Hz you should be fine for another year or two.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I really hope this is successful. It would be great not only for gaming, but my job if CPUs start improving 15% IPC per year again with a gradual increase of core count without extremely high prices.

If the optimistic benchmarks are true I'll probably build a system but still wait for a future GPU.

ds8k

Unless you're also going for 144Hz you should be fine for another year or two.

I can't even get decent frames with games right now, let alone two years out. Mafia 3, Watch_Dogs 2, Sniper Elite 4 all run like complete trash even on the lowest settings. I know both M3 and WD2 are known to run poorly, but it doesn't look like this trend is going away.

Engell

I planned on grabbing the newest AMD GPU anyway - think I'd be fine sticking with the 4690k?

Well ofc if you upgrade the gpu to flagship grade, then yes your cpu would become the bottleneck. So if you have the money upgrade both.

Engell

I can't even get decent frames with games right now, let alone two years out. Mafia 3, Watch_Dogs 2, Sniper Elite 4 all run like complete trash even on the lowest settings. I know both M3 and WD2 are known to run poorly, but it doesn't look like this trend is going away.

Maybe something else is wrong.. Run some standard benchmarks and see how you compare to others with same build.

Well, it looks like Nitrous 2.0 seems like an engine that'll put a Ryzen CPU through its full paces. 100% core scaling with DX12, IIRC.

pooptest

I skimmed through the video, but didn't seem to find any new info on Vega. Just that it'll be called the "RX Vega" and not have a number assigned to it.

pestul

I skimmed through the video, but didn't seem to find any new info on Vega. Just that it'll be called the "RX Vega" and not have a number assigned to it.
You're really better off not watching any AMD conference videos.. they're the worst. You want them to strike back at Nvidia and Intel, but they still haven't gotten their shit together when it comes to this stuff. The pre-Ryzen stuff has been at least half-decent though.

pooptest

You're really better off not watching any AMD conference videos.. they're the worst. You want them to strike back at Nvidia and Intel, but they still haven't gotten their shit together when it comes to this stuff. The pre-Ryzen stuff has been at least half-decent though.

There's a Sapphire Nitro RX480 8GB for $185 ($200-$15 rebate, NewEgg), but don't want to bite if they're just gonna come out with a new card really soon. However, it'll leave my Ryzen build on hold as I don't really want to carry over my 6970.

ARE YOU READY FOR RYZEN? We are.
http://www.corsair.com/ryzen

CORSAIR is Ready for AMD Ryzen™
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYfIlTSLXjU - *vid. has 4 DIMMs populated @ 3,000MHz on MSI XPower AM4*

AM4-AMD Retention Bracket Kit for Hydro Series Coolers
http://www.corsair.com/am4-amd-retention-bracket-kit-for-hydro-series-coolers

ryzen_690x40.jpg

CORSAIR is Ready for AMD Ryzen
https://www.techpowerup.com/231087/corsair-is-ready-for-amd-ryzen

Hydro Series Cooler Compatibility Details
The following CORSAIR Hydro Series liquid CPU coolers are fully compatible with the new AM4 socket out-of-the box:

• Hydro Series H60
  • Hydro Series H110i (Hydro Series H110i GT)
  • Hydro Series H100i

The following CORSAIR Hydro Series liquid CPU coolers require an additional AM4 bracket for AMD Ryzen compatibility:

• Hydro Series H50
  • Hydro Series H55
  • Hydro Series H75
  • Hydro Series H80i v2 (H80i GT)
  • Hydro Series H90,
  • Hydro Series H100i v2 (H100i GTX)
  • Hydro Series H105
  • Hydro Series H110i GTX
  • Hydro Series H115i

DDR4 Compatibility Details
The below-listed CORSAIR DDR4 kits are currently recommended for AMD Ryzen CPUs and accompanying chipsets:

• CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 Dominator Platinum
  • CMK32GX4M4A2133C15 Vengeance LPX
  • CMK32GX4M4A2400C16 Vengeance LPX
  • CMK64GX4M4A2400C16 Vengeance LPX
  • CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 Vengeance LPX
  • CMK32GX4M2A2400C16 Vengeance LPX

I don't know enough about CPU performance to make a decision myself but any of the new Ryzen range worth jumping ship from a 6600k for? Want to make the jump to 1440p/4k/144hz by the end of the year.

Nzyme32

Bethesda and AMD are partnering up (just announced at GDC).

Seems the intention is to do more of what they did with Doom on AMD hardware. More Vulkan, more Ryzen and Vega focus etc.

I don't know enough about CPU performance to make a decision myself but any of the new Ryzen range worth jumping ship from a 6600k for? Want to make the jump to 1440p/4k/144hz by the end of the year.
Are you talking about the R7s only, or all Ryzens in general?

1440p/4K likely would still be perfectly acceptable at 60fps with that chip. If you're trying to push 1440p AND 144hz though, you're going to want as much CPU as you can throw at it. Not that the 6600k is a slouch in this regard, but at 144Hz you're talking about really tight frame times, and even a small bottleneck can make a big impact on how "smooth" a game feels.

But if it's JUST games you're interested in, the R5 1600x might be a more cost-effective bet, as the R7 8 cores/16 threads is still quite overkill for how games are coded today.

NeOak

·feist·;231208133 said:
ARE YOU READY FOR RYZEN? We are.
http://www.corsair.com/ryzen

CORSAIR is Ready for AMD Ryzen™
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYfIlTSLXjU - *vid. has 4 DIMMs populated @ 3,000MHz on MSI XPower AM4*

AM4-AMD Retention Bracket Kit for Hydro Series Coolers
http://www.corsair.com/am4-amd-retention-bracket-kit-for-hydro-series-coolers

ryzen_690x40.jpg

CORSAIR is Ready for AMD Ryzen
https://www.techpowerup.com/231087/corsair-is-ready-for-amd-ryzen

Fuck man, I was looking at the 3200 Vengeance LPX :(

Now I wonder if it will work

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I don't get why AMD is holding reviews until the day before release, if these are revolutionary processors.

I've been thoroughly disappointed with my 4690k and r9 390 performance at 1440p. Hoping a 1700X and the new cards are a worthwhile upgrade.

You only need to upgrade your GPU, because the 4690K is still a monster.

I don't get why AMD is holding reviews until the day before release, if these are revolutionary processors.

You only need to upgrade your GPU, because the 4690K is still a monster.
Because the new bios updates from mobo manufacturers are still rolling out, if I had to guess...

Paragon

Well they dont sell in as high capacity(max 8g per stick) .. And i usually build in cases without windows.
But sure why not, it's good RAM
They have 3600MHz kits which are 2x16GB or 4x16GB.
The faster kits (up to 4266MHz) are only 2x8GB or 4x8GB though - but that doesn't matter for Ryzen.

I don't think these have been released yet though, and the price just went up another 10% in the past few days.
Possibly the only time I've regretted not pre-ordering hardware to lock in the price.

You may not be able to run them at the full speed, but they'll certainly work at the fastest your motherboard/CPU supports, since the fastest boards are only rated to 3200MHz.
Before all the details came out, I was planning on buying a 4x kit, but Ryzen only supports fast RAM speeds with two DIMMs connected right now.
It could potentially support four with a BIOS update some time in the future, but there's no guarantee.

Engell

They have 3600MHz kits which are 2x16GB or 4x16GB.
The faster kits (up to 4266MHz) are only 2x8GB or 4x8GB though - but that doesn't matter for Ryzen.

I was just talking low latency RAM, 3200mhz cl14, should be slightly faster then 4266mhz cl19. So even if i was building intel i would go for that(3200cl14). But especially for ryzen i guess latency will be important since it cannot clock the RAM as high.

.. But aah maybe i calculated it wrong, if someone can ninja some math please go for it. Its way past my bedtime.

Corsair has half-assed their Ryzen support, so I wouldn't be surprised if it did work, only because mobo manufacturers did all the work.

Corsair's cooling division has been so poor to me that it's taken the company from "will at least consider any product they make in a category I need" to "only use their products under duress," singlehandedly.

Oh, and OT: loving the competition that AMD appears to be bringing this round. I've used Intel for the last couple builds, but would happily swing back. We'll have to wait for real-world gaming benches, though - with an i7-4790k @ 4.6, I'd have to see a bunch of games that I'm interested in show meaningful multithreaded benefits before I was tempted.

Paragon

I was just talking low latency RAM, 3200mhz cl14, should be slightly faster then 4266mhz cl19. So even if i was building intel i would go for that(3200cl14). But especially for ryzen i guess latency will be important since it cannot clock the RAM as high.
.. But aah maybe i calculated it wrong, if someone can ninja some math please go for it. Its way past my bedtime.

4266 CL19 is faster and lower latency than 3200 CL14.
You have a 33% higher data rate, and latency is lower on the 4266MHz kit by the fourth word.
Higher memory speed typically makes up for higher CAS latency.

Code:
		1st	4th	8th
3200 CL14	8.75ns	9.69ns	10.94ns
4266 CL19	8.91ns	9.61ns	10.55ns

Button

Banned
My Skylake i5 feels like a shitty investment now. I bought it at launch but never bought a graphics card (GTX 1080 was out of stock for so long that I lost all interest). Let's see, maybe I will go AMD+AMD after the summer.

Top Bottom