• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

Cleve

Hard to believe how low quality the dock is overall, both in design and build quality.

Yeah, it stands out given how insanely high the build quality feels on everything else.

Thanks for the thread op, I normally don't buy screen protectors as I'm really careful with my stuff, but the switch is already getting passed around a lot and will definitely go in/out of the dock. I ordered one of the tempered glass ones from the OP, and just hope it shows up soon.

spekkeh

Banned
For those using the spongy sleeve from the packing have you noticed any scratches yet? Seems like everything scratches the screen. They really should have just made it Wii u style and include a flap thingy to cover the screen.

No scratches. Of course it's only been three days. Also I used double sided tape which in itself adds a bit of cushion.

Tumo

Might be the wrong thread, but as I was giving my Switch a preemptive clean I noticed a speck of dust actually under the screen. Not entirely sure what to do here as I'm putting on my screen protector soon. Reckon it's worth just dealing with it, or engaging Nintendo?

My unit has this too, I thought it was a scratch at first but I can't feel any indentation (e.g. running my fingernail over it) so it must be something inside/under the plastic.

Luckily I don't notice it when playing so it is easy for me to ignore.

I once brought a screen protector for my phone that included a case that was meant to be used not to protect the phone but rather help you align the screen protector when applying it and it worked perfectly. More screen protectors need to come with it.

I think the Bodyguardz company was the first/only company to do that for the iphones. It does make installing it extremely easy

Feeroper

I used the screen protector that came with the official carrying case, and I initially had it okay but there was one speck of dust, so due to my OCD I went to fix it, and then ended up with more dust, and I've gone back a couple more times and brought the level of dust and air bubbles down but there are a few still. I don't know if there is any way to recover the screen protector itself at this point. I am thinking of buying the Hori basic screen protector (not the premium).

I see people mentioning the hot shower method, so I googled it but I have a couple f/u questions. After steaming up the bathroom, do you just go into the room and immediately do it, or wait a bit to ensure no dust is set in and wipe away? If anyone has a link to a good guide on putting these things on Id appreciate it! I'm not very good with applying these things.

I used the screen protector that came with the official carrying case, and I initially had it okay but there was one speck of dust, so due to my OCD I went to fix it, and then ended up with more dust, and I've gone back a couple more times and brought the level of dust and air bubbles down but there are a few still. I don't know if there is any way to recover the screen protector itself at this point. I am thinking of buying the Hori basic screen protector (not the premium).

I see people mentioning the hot shower method, so I googled it but I have a couple f/u questions. After steaming up the bathroom, do you just go into the room and immediately do it, or wait a bit to ensure no dust is set in and wipe away? If anyone has a link to a good guide on putting these things on Id appreciate it! I'm not very good with applying these things.

get tempered glass, way easier to instal

Well looks like this issue is getting attention from some opportunistic people

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XF17MY1/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You can use clear shipping tape on the back side of the screen protector to pull off dust and fuzz. I've been doing that for years, the adhesive pulls the particles off without messing up the protectors own adhesive

Feeroper

get tempered glass, way easier to instal

I just ordered the orzly tempered glass screen protectors. I have never used tempered glass before, any tips or pointers I should know before eventually installing? Also is orzly any good? They get pretty decent reviews for phone screen protectors.

edit: Also, is it okay to just keep my current screen protector on with the air bubbles and some dust particles until a new one arrives?

I just ordered the orzly tempered glass screen protectors. I have never used tempered glass before, any tips or pointers I should know before eventually installing? Also is orzly any good? They get pretty decent reviews for phone screen protectors.

edit: Also, is it okay to just keep my current screen protector on with the air bubbles and some dust particles until a new one arrives?

I am not familiar with that brand.

I am getting the Amfilm instead, great reviews on amazon.

this is a video to help you. I would keep the screen protector for now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5zU1KtBQB4&t=2s

Xdrive05

Is there a consensus on best tempered glass screen protector for the Switch?

I ended up just using electrical tape on the dock because my dock in particular narrows toward the top. There's really not enough room to use anything thicker. Even with just the electrical tape, the added thickness makes the dock want to lift up when I undock the console. Not a problem but almost a problem. Anyway, thanks for this thread!

antonz

Is there a consensus on best tempered glass screen protector for the Switch?

I ended up just using electrical tape on the dock because my dock in particular narrows toward the top. There's really not enough room to use anything thicker. Even with just the electrical tape, the added thickness makes the dock want to lift up when I undock the console. Not a problem but almost a problem. Anyway, thanks for this thread!

They are all pretty new so hard to say on absolute quality. The amfilm one seems to be part of a pretty established brand across all sorts of mobile devices. Reviews on all the products are overwhelmingly positive though seems like always a certain percentage cannot install properly

M_A_C

is this a matte screen filter???

these pics look like matte but the video glossy, weird.

Not matte, musta just been my pics:

JiEeCbd.jpg

1yBZvcv.jpg

Feeroper

Damn. I've got one single tiny speck of dust under my screen protector and it's driving me insane.

Don't make the same mistake I did! I tried to fix it and I just made it worse, and now I wish I hadn't tried to fix it.

Unless you are confident in your ability to deal with the single issue that is. I mistakenly thought I could do it, but I was wrong. Currently awaiting a new protector now to replace this one.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
This reminds me of when I put a penny under the pads on my Garage Band drumset. What a stupid issue, but I'm happy to put some pads to fix it.

TAS

The amfilm protector is unavailable on Amazon.ca. I tried the U.S site and unfortunately they don't deliver to Toronto. :/ Ended up going with the Orzly out of necessity. Hope it's good. Btw..I highly recommend everyone get a screen protector regardless if this dock problem is only a few isolated cases. The Switch screen is plastic which is more prone to scratches compared to the glass on phones. Not worth the risk.

Ein Bear

Don't make the same mistake I did! I tried to fix it and I just made it worse, and now I wish I hadn't tried to fix it.

Unless you are confident in your ability to deal with the single issue that is. I mistakenly thought I could do it, but I was wrong. Currently awaiting a new protector now to replace this one.

Haha I had the exact same thought process earlier... going to leave it a couple more days, and if it's still bothering me I may attempt to fix it/buy a new protector.

Anyone tried this one ?

1505-1.jpg

Damn. They must have built this one out of adamantium or something- hammers just bounce right off!

Which one is the "right" one tho?

The second one. For some reason the first one seems prone to bubbling afterward when used within the dock. Some theories though is people aren't waiting enough time between application and using it in the dock for it to settle in. So go with the cheaper to be safe since the more expensive one is being reported as problematic without knowing the exact cause or a solution at the moment.

Glass Joe

omg I wasted a bunch of money on screen protectors these last couple days by applying them and not being happy with the results. youtube video advice can be good or bad lol.

apparently the best advice I found was the scotch tape method: unless your place is a science lab, you're gonna end up with some specs of dust and "bubbles," regardless of how well you clean it first. after applying... slightly lifting up the screen protector from the chosen angle with one piece of tape, and removing the specs of dust with another piece of tape, seems to be the way to go.

my screen protector is slightly crooked, but no bubbles on the screen portion. i'll consider that a win for now.

Yousefb

Dammit, I cannot find ANY Switch carrying cases in the local stores or even Amazon. What gives man? Can anybody help? :(

Firebrand

Any Ozrly impressions? I've got the tempered glass Ozrly screen protector on its way
Asking this as well, as the amFilm one isn't available atm.

Also found some really cheap ($6-$8) tempered glass ones on eBay from some Chinese company called "Ytaland"... yeah. Not sure I wanna be the test pilot on those, though they've done similar ones for phones.

edit: Amazon page claims "94% light penetration ratio", is that comparable to the amFilm one?

How is the Anker brand for screen protectors? I just ordered this one as it was a tempered glass solution that would arrive the fastest for me. I also have the amFilm one ordered as well but that isn't due to arrive till around the 17th, so I figured I'd try the Anker and maybe cancel/return the amFilm if the Anker is good.

In the meantime I should have an iLLumiShield screen protector film arriving in the next day or two to keep it safe till the Anker comes.

Syranth

Damn. I've got one single tiny speck of dust under my screen protector and it's driving me insane.

So I saw a fantastic trick that an employee at Verizon did when applying protectors (I live in Arizona and there's dust EVERYWHERE). When you go to apply the screen don't press the final corner down until you are satisfied. If there is a spec of dust then pull it up part way and use a piece of scotch tape to remove it. Typically, if it's good tape and not super generic, it will remove the piece of dust. Then slowly apply it the rest of the way and repeat until you are satisfied.

Another trick I read was apply the screen protector in the bathroom after you've run the hot shower a bit. The steam vapors will adhere to dust in the air and drop it to the ground. Not too hot so you don't get condensation on the device.

Edit: One last tip. Don't keep pulling up and down the screen protector if it's tempered glass. You will most likely shatter it.

DarkKyo

Can you provide some pictures? How's the feel with touch? The Hori seemed to be a thinner but a bit harder than many so that's good. The protector that came with my case I didn't use was awful though. Just a thin semi rigid plastic sheet.

I'd post pictures but the other person who posted pics had similarly great results so it would be a bit superfluous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grv9CoeoeNs
^ that's their official tutorial vid for the application process

MutFox

Banned
That necessary?

I was just planning on throwing it in a pouch case like a felt dice bag and carry the joycons separately.

Just docking and undocking it over time seems to scratch, will get a protector and some thin felt.

Still waiting to see if any GAF users have tried the Ozrly protector.
Amazon has no reviews yet.

Did anyone test the tempered glass from Orzly? Got mine on the way, only ever got smudges on the bottom of the screen before putting a bit of cloth on the plastic, but I'm not going to risk it anyway.

Anyway, I keep pressing the back of my Switch against the plastic so I don't put any pressure on the screen and the back of the system is pristine. I've seen people with even the system's back scratched, kinda got me wondering what the hell are some people doing. Adjusting the system midway? It would be more likely to scratch with a side motion across the bits of plastic.

SURGEdude

I wanna thank everyone working diligently in this thread. I'm waiting for Amazon to restock, and despite a fair number of concerns I'm planning to pull the trigger when they do.

Having a resource like this in light of the dock issue is the difference between feeling confident buying soon, or waiting for a fix. And I really want one.

How is the Anker brand for screen protectors? I just ordered this one as it was a tempered glass solution that would arrive the fastest for me. I also have the amFilm one ordered as well but that isn't due to arrive till around the 17th, so I figured I'd try the Anker and maybe cancel/return the amFilm if the Anker is good.

In the meantime I should have an iLLumiShield screen protector film arriving in the next day or two to keep it safe till the Anker comes.

Can't tell you anything about their screen protectors specifically. But they have a good rep in general, and I'd guess they wouldn't want to throw it away by shitting out bad display protection.

antonz

Managed to get an amfilm order in a couple days ago and it arrives Wednesday. Will give a review when they arrive.

Asking this as well, as the amFilm one isn't available atm.

Also found some really cheap ($6-$8) tempered glass ones on eBay from some Chinese company called "Ytaland"... yeah. Not sure I wanna be the test pilot on those, though they've done similar ones for phones.

edit: Amazon page claims "94% light penetration ratio", is that comparable to the amFilm one?

amFilm claims 99.9% transparency for light penetration

Feeroper

So I found a Hori basic screen protector at the store today (to anyone in Toronto looking for one, it was at Game Center close to Yonge and Bloor, they had a couple left).

Although I ordered the Orzly ones, I couldn't stand looking at the air bubbles on my previous plastic protector, so I thought Id try the Hori non premium one as it seems to be getting positive buzz.

I applied it after a hot shower for the humidity and lo and behold it worked like a charm! Now I have a well placed protector on my switch no dust or bubbles at all. The Hori guides on the filter itself made it really easy to apply. Its not quite centered, but its good.

I will likely keep this one on and when the Orzly filters arrive I may keep the Hori one in place until it starts to come off with age or just keep it a bit longer before I go the tempered glass route.

Anyhow, if you are looking for a good plastic filter, the standard Hori one is pretty good so far and very easy to apply.

Hylian7

Dammit, I bought the $10 Hori, and the application went mostly well, except for a tiny air bubble in the middle I couldn't push out. So I tried to use tape to peel it up and get it out that way, it wouldn't come up. So I managed to peel a corner up with my nail. Didn't scratch the actual switch screen, but that corner of the screen protector won't stay down and has this unsightly air bubble. Debating just leaving it or buying the amFilm, what do you guys think?

Hylian7

Watch this turn out to be doomed if you do, doomed if you don't situation. No screen protector? Scratched to shit. Screen protector? Bubbled or warped.

I just want to mod my dock or create a new one so I don't have to worry about this crap.

Honestly screen protector still comes out on top. The Switch screen is super expensive to replace. A Screen protector is $10.

bobawesome

Dear bobawesome,

Thank you for purchasing the Nintendo Switch Full Body. It has recently come to our attention that the Switch console is prone to peeling.

We want to inform you that you NEED to be very careful when removing the Skinomi Full Body Film (includes TechSkin, MatteSkin, Carbon Series, Wood Series, and Brushed Series) from your Switch console to prevent damaging your device.

If you do not feel comfortable installing the protector please contact us and we will issue a refund for the item.

5b6f012d7294966e8a2d2bcce5e13c7e.jpg

Zazabar

Neo Member
These all seem like some nice fixes for such a simply stupid issue. Good thing I'll only be playing in docked mode, but I'll be damned if my screen looks awful. Damn it, Nintendo! WHY YOU HAVE TO DO THIS?

//ARCANUM

Welp that settles it for me...I'll stick with first party screen protectors, even if they are shitty plastic ones. They do the job.

Pretty sure this is referring to skins, not screen protectors. (It's talking about peeling paint from the joycons/back of Switch)

Top Bottom