• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Shippuden |OT| The Filler Chronicles (Anime Only! No manga spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai__

Took a look at the titles for future epsiodes again:

484 - "The Detonating Man" - "Kibaku Ningen" (起爆人間)
- December 1, 2016
485 "Colosseum" - "Koroshiamu" (闘技場)
- December 8, 2016

No new episodes for 3 weeks.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Took a look at the titles for future epsiodes again:

484 - "The Detonating Man" - "Kibaku Ningen" (起爆人間)
- December 1, 2016
485 "Colosseum" - "Koroshiamu" (闘技場)
- December 8, 2016

No new episodes for 3 weeks.

Sasuke's novel
already? I tohught they would adapt Shikamaru's first.

Sure, but again, this isn't my critique. Maybe he becomes a great dude on his journey, whatever. The problem is that Sakura has been wildly in love with him for effectively the whole series.

This is wrong. Sakura had a crush on him at the beginning, like most of the girls did. Like how Naruto and Lee had a crush on Sakura for superficial reasons.

When we're introduced to Team 7 we hear what these kids are all about, Naruto wants to be acknowledged by the village, Sasuke wants to avenge the murder of his parents, Sakura... likes a boy, tee hee.

I think you're missing the point here. All three of them had ambitions for selfish reasons. Naruto wanted to be hokage solely for attention and recognition. Sasuke wanted revenge solely for his own satisfaction. Sakura wanted Sasuke's affection for herself.

Kishi used this as a starting point for their respective arcs and by the end, though they have accomplished their ambitions its not nearly with the shallow motives they had initially.

And sure, maybe her pap there is more realistic than something as grimdark as Sasuke's ambition when it comes to the minds of 12 year olds. But as she grows, this doesn't change. As Sasuke proclaims how he's gonna kill the bijuu and kage, Sakura gives an impassioned speech about how she loves him so please don't do that.

You mean like how after Sasuke threatens to kill people in Konoha Naruto gives an impassioned speech in how he understands him so much and we are friends.

In the intervening years, literally the only time he has ever shown her even the slightest bit of affection is when he said "thanks" before knocking her the fuck out and running off to be Orochimaru's bagboy. He has done nothing inspirational, nothing deserving of affection beyond being "hot and cool." It's not that I'm annoyed she forgives him, I'm annoyed that she saw anything there in the first place. That an infatuation lasted the whole series with no convincing reason to transition into actual love.

Saves her life numerous times, with his life on the line, was the first one to initiate teamwork, was the first one to sacrifice oneself to save a team mate, was the only one to notice Sakura's depression before Chunin exam and cheered her up, went berserk on the nin that injured her and unlike Naruto, did not suck up to her and told her the truth causing her character to grow (she was weak and insensitive to Naruto).

Sasuke's side is pretty explicit as well, he recedes the curse seal on her plea, outright calls her dear and was willing to die against Gaara to save her, in retrospect we know he saw Team 7 as a family, and ultimately thanks her for her romantic confession.

On the other hand we have Hinata, who isn't into Naruto because of superficial nonsense,

Sure her childhood crush was not superficial but it was still shallow. She hardly knew Naruto, and despite looking onto him for so long did nothing in his young years to help him.

but because she's inspired by him, by his ability to overcome obstacles and even his direct support of her in her difficult times. This is how you do a largely one-sided love that develops over time. Sakura is outright embarrassing in comparison, or even in isolation.

What development? Hinata's motive stays pretty much the same (inspired by Naruto's nindo) and being a less relevant side character means there's less than a handful of times the two even meet.

Naruto's development was more incremental: acknowledging Hinata's existence, then admiring her for her perseverance and finally being thankful for her support (though the Last shits the bed and has him act OOC and then get triggered by genjutsu to "fall in love").

Fj0823

This episode tanked my hopes for good filler...

It's the perfect time to either retell The Last or Pull a Dragon Ball Super with some lighthearted slice of life fillers...

But we get exploding zombies!

Edit: Also this filler is definitely post-The Last judging by Naruto's interactions with Hinata. Meaning we won't get to see how we got to that point in time...stuff like Naruto becoming Jounin and the likes

Art and animation were really good this episode and more Sasuke is always welcomed, even if its filler.

tumblr_ohip1kd59n1v5sogro1_540.gif

tumblr_ohigkbjbov1v5sogro2_r1_540.gif

It's not filler though...

novel filler

Raonak

Banned
Even Bulma x Vegeta is done better than the Saskue x Sakura nonsense.

Saskue clearly gives no fucks about Sakura as a romantic love interest, but his entire goal was "restoring his clan" so he needed to knock someone up.
I'm just happy Naruto didn't crawl back to Sakura after all the stupid shit she's pulled throughout the years.

Fj0823

But in The Last Sasuke had longer hair and a different clothing style with this headband...

Good point.

Hinata acted way too close to Naruto for not being after the Last, but Sasuke doesn't look like Hobo Sauce.

Another point for "after" is that Kakashi is in touch with Sasuke, in The Last he was shocked to see him

Pierrot: ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Akai__

Exploding Zombies. I'm laughing my ass off...

And why is everyone so weak? Choji and Hinata both using one attack and are almost death, because they are exhausted. Sasuke, the most powerful Dojutsu user with his Sharingan and Rinnegan, also loses against some other Dojutsu user.

This was terrible.

Tritroid

Why the complaints? That was a kick ass episode, filler or novel-filler or not. Animation was seriously excellent too.

Although, the preview for next episode is odd: Yamato introducing himself to Sasuke like they've never met? They fought each other towards the start of series 2...

But in The Last Sasuke had longer hair and a different clothing style with this headband...

That was SP's design.

Why the complaints? That was a kick ass episode, filler or novel-filler or not. Animation was seriously excellent too.

Although, the preview for next episode is odd: Yamato introducing himself to Sasuke like they've never met? They fought each other towards the start of series 2...

Exploding Zombies. I'm laughing my ass off...

And why is everyone so weak? Choji and Hinata both using one attack and are almost death, because they are exhausted. Sasuke, the most powerful Dojutsu user with his Sharingan and Rinnegan, also loses against some other Dojutsu user.

This was terrible.

Please remember this is a deadly combo of novel filler + SP filler. The rinnegan/sharingan loosing to any other doujutsu in genjutsu is a hilarious thought indeed.

Even Bulma x Vegeta is done better than the Saskue x Sakura nonsense.

Saskue clearly gives no fucks about Sakura as a romantic love interest, but his entire goal was "restoring his clan" so he needed to knock someone up.
I'm just happy Naruto didn't crawl back to Sakura after all the stupid shit she's pulled throughout the years.

He clearly did give a fuck and the restoration of his clan had nothing to do making babies lmao. Also acting like Sakura would accept Naruto lol.

I love naruto, but man the whole war arc was kind of bad. Once Tobi was revealed the whole manga just took a nosedive.

I enjoyed the gaiden with Sarada far more than most of the war arc.

Akai__

Please remember this is a deadly combo of novel filler + SP filler. The rinnegan/sharingan loosing to any other doujutsu in genjutsu is a hilarious thought indeed.

So, when does this even take place then? Can I watch "The Last" now or will there be stuff in between?

Tritroid

Sasuke, the most powerful Dojutsu user with his Sharingan and Rinnegan, also loses against some other Dojutsu user.

This was terrible.
I didn't get the impression he "lost" per say against that Dojutsu, more like he was testing it.

He allowed himself to fall under Genjutsu to see what the user was capable of, and then when he had seen enough, he activated his Sharingan to break it. He didn't have it active at all until that point, and it only took using the Sharingan (as opposed to using Mangekyo, or the Rinnegan even).

I think he only appeared taken aback because he was shocked to see just how powerful the Dojutsu was.

Effect

Had no clue they were adapting some of the novels. Makes sense and a smart thing to do but really thought they'd end the series where the manga ended. If they were going to do the books I thought maybe they'd do them as mini-series or films. Guess not. I like The Last character designs so its good to see them more.

Surprised they didn't just retitle the show again. The novels have their own title from what I recall.

Akai__

Dude why are you waiting for filler. You should of watched The Last after 699/700 then read Gaiden then watch Boruto the movie.

Because I still vastly prefer the Anime over the Manga. And nobody told me that I can watch it anyways. I don't know what the timeline is betweem Chapter 699 and 700.

Because I still vastly prefer the Anime over the Manga. And nobody told me that I can watch it anyways. I don't know what the timeline is betweem Chapter 699 and 700.

There is no canon in between that apart from The Last.
Dude I highly recommend reading the manga, as the characters are portrayed better.

What is it with Studio Pierrot and their worship of their precious Byakugan Princess? It's so disturbing...

The scene where she faints in one hit was so cringe.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I prefer the anime too

Akai__

There is no canon in between that apart from The Last.

Dude I highly recommend reading the manga, as the characters are portrayed better.

Eh, I'm fine. I said I'll give it a few months, before I decide to read Chapter 700 and everything else there is. For now, I'll probably watch The Last.

theWB27

Dig the episode, but what's up with turning hinata into a damsel in distress over the years. She fights neiji til and can't stand. Fights pain til she can't stand.

But faints into naruto's arms after hitting some pressure points. Was embarrassing in the Last too.

Yado

tbf there was never a fight against Pain, he took her out in one hit. At least SP tried to make it less pathetic than it actually was.

Fighting just isn't her thing.

theWB27

tbf there was never a fight against Pain, he took her out in one hit. At least SP tried to make it less pathetic than it actually was.

Fighting just isn't her thing.

It isn't, but she's shown she's far from helpless and I don't dig when they portray her that way. She has too much fight in her to be fainting after hitting some pressure points.

Plus, I never knew her clan exhausted themselves using those moves. Unless I missed something along the way.

Dig the episode, but what's up with turning hinata into a damsel in distress over the years. She fights neiji til and can't stand. Fights pain til she can't stand.

But faints into naruto's arms after hitting some pressure points. Was embarrassing in the Last too.

Oh MAN, MTE!!!! Hinata literally fainted after throwing a punch, for no reason. They've painted her as this ultra pathetic character who gets overwhelmed by nearly anything. That was never the impression that I got from Hinata. Look at how much will she had in her during the neji fight, which to me was one of the highlights of the series. Why do they have such a difficult time allowing a female character to not be pathetic? She can bring chakra lions out of her fists but she falls face first if the wind hits her. It's not even just her, the whole series has been exceptionally bad with its portrayal of female characters. They're always somehow inferior to men due to being a woman, like that is a human trait.

Honestly, this is one of the saddest parts of Naruto for me. Hinata deserved to come into her own as a Byakugan user. She had the determination of Naruto and Rock Lee, but they just couldn't let her do anything with it.

Desmond

It's implied in the novel that she faints after taking out numerous zombies in the novel. She also remarks she isn't very good at that particular technique either. Nice work SP.

theWB27

Oh MAN, MTE!!!! Hinata literally fainted after throwing a punch, for no reason. They've painted her as this ultra pathetic character who gets overwhelmed by nearly anything. That was never the impression that I got from Hinata. Look at how much will she had in her during the neji fight, which to me was one of the highlights of the series. Why do they have such a difficult time allowing a female character to not be pathetic? She can bring chakra lions out of her fists but she falls face first if the wind hits her. It's not even just her, the whole series has been exceptionally bad with its portrayal of female characters. They're always somehow inferior to men due to being a woman, like that is a human trait.

Honestly, this is one of the saddest parts of Naruto for me. Hinata deserved to come into her own as a Byakugan user. She had the determination of Naruto and Rock Lee, but they just couldn't let her do anything with it.

Ill admit her determination leans heavily on Naruto. Her best moments always did.

I agree with the portrayal. With Lady Tsu...we're told she's a beast and damn near killed even my favorite Jaraiya. But when it comes down to it a fear of blood meant kid Naruto had to save a Sannin from Kabuto. Boo that ish.

It's implied in the novel that she faints after taking out numerous zombies in the novel. She also remarks she isn't very good at that particular technique either. Nice work SP.

That's the thing. They nerf her when it's convenient. She reached a new level during the war when she was able to do her tiger fist move (I think it was)...but now hitting chakra points drains her? I've never seen it portrayed that these moves drains so much energy of the Hyuga clan.

Desmond

And I just realised that I mentioned the novel too many times in that sentence.

Was it mentioned that we are only getting one month of episodes per novel? Shikamaru Hiden to start in January with Konoha Hiden following in February.

theWB27

Was it mentioned that we are only getting one month of episodes per novel? Shikamaru Hiden to start in January with Konoha Hiden following in February.

I love shiky so I'll look forward to that.

Lol, Hinata got one shotted in one panel by Pain in the manga.

SP is shit at writing characters. Nothing new here, which is why I often condemn the anime.

4-5 episodes per novel iirc.

Fj0823

It was bad direction, Narutos clones aren't shown doing anything while Hinata is only shown hitting the last one of the guys

The way it should been, you see the clones rounding the zombies, shimmery immobilized them and Hinata quickly hits ALL of them, and gets exhausted

Both are listed as having kishimoto and Toriyama as supervisors. In fact, the Super manga only lists Toriyama as the original creator.

Do you consider
the Boruto manga
filler?

Kishimoto is not listed as supervisor in the novels. He has no input literally, only provided a drawing for marketing.

Yes and we've had interviews showing Kishi's lack on input in that series.

-Minsc-

It was bad direction, Narutos clones aren't shown doing anything while Hinata is only shown hitting the last one of the guys

The way it should been, you see the clones rounding the zombies, shimmery immobilized them and Hinata quickly hits ALL of them, and gets exhausted

That sounds logical to me. I think it would have made even more sense if there were way more zombies or it was written she had stopped training since the war.

I agree with the portrayal. With Lady Tsu...we're told she's a beast and damn near killed even my favorite Jaraiya. But when it comes down to it a fear of blood meant kid Naruto had to save a Sannin from Kabuto. Boo that ish.

In my mind it was made very clear that Tsunade's fear of blood had nothing to do with her being a woman. She just happened to be a woman who was crippled by PTSD. I think we can be very naive as to how crippling these things are and what it can take to get out of it.

Desmond

Kishimoto is not listed as supervisor in the novels. He has no input literally, only provided a drawing for marketing.

Yes and we've had interviews showing Kishi's lack on input in that series.
We're going way off topic and there's nothing to say he didn't have anything to do with the novels. Maybe the English release by Viz says something different though. I only have the Japanese ones here.

Negaiido

After watching these weekly episodes of Naruto I can say with certainty that the quality is just horrendous. They do not make any sense anymore and lack creativity.
I thought maybe the (filler) story between the ending of the fight between Naruto and Sasuke and Naruto becoming Hokage would be nice but it is not.

Season 17 Episode 485 – Naruto Shippuden, Sasuke’s Story: Sunrise, Part 2: Coliseum
CzKMB7oWQAE14gl.jpg:small

Yes Suigetsu and others came back for more.

Really interesting episode with the island and also some of Orochimaru's discussions providing insights into the reasoning behind why he and Kabuto are under simple surveillance.

The lightning style jutsu this episode was cool even if it was a minor moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom