• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter is 20 years old.

Ecotic

I love catching Harry Potter weekend on the Freeform channel because so many fans watch and tweet about it in real time. It's kind of like a big meet-up.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Are these books enjoyable to read for the first time as an adult?

I'm an avid reader of sci-fi/fantasy but I'm afraid the books will read too childish for me. I can tolerate something like The Hobbit.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

I'm an avid reader of sci-fi/fantasy but I'm afraid the books will read too childish for me. I can tolerate something like The Hobbit.

Yes, you can definitely enjoy them as an adult, especially if you can handle The Hobbit.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I started reading the books a year or two before the first movie, I think. Still love them. Man, time does fly...

Big Nikus

Only if they kill boring side characters off every few episodes. You can use deadly accidents with alchemy or something as an excuse.

They can't do this because (spoiler last books :p)
they have to kill almost all of them at once at the end !

blakep267

your schoolteachers read you Harry Potter?

fuck I'm old.
I wanna say my 4tg grade teacher wanted to read it to us, but s girl in the class said her mom didn't want her reading it. At the time I didn't really care because it was an unknown thing at the time

kswiston

I started reading the series at 20 (about 15 years ago), and enjoyed the books. Plenty of people who were 40+ did as well.

The caveat is that the first 2 books are fully children's books. The series starts to gain more complexity and depth with the third book, eventually settling into the young adult category most place it in.

The first two books can be read in a few hours each though, so you can just power through them.

rizzo0

It's sad that I've had this entire series on blu ray still shrink wrapped and have still never started it. Maybe this will finally inspire me to start the series lol

Words cannot express how much this series changed my life. Turned me from a kid who would stare are pages in class pretending to read in 4th grade... to a kid with a college reading level tackling Robert Jordan books by 7th grade.

GOAT.

Doran902

same as a lot in here, elementary school teacher read it and then as the movies were coming out it was really neat being basically the same age as the characters as the films / books matured

YaBish

I've literally grown up with this series. I still remember standing in line with my mom when I was 10 for the midnight release of book 7.

I devoured these books as a kid.

Spenny

My grandma gave me the first book to read in 98 when I was ten. Didn't much care for the series but man does this thread make me feel old now.

Vuze

Jesus. I devoured the books as a child. Good times. Still have them carefully sorted and lined up in my shelf.

I don't think I have watched the most recent 3 or 4 movies however. Maybe I should do a movie marathon to celebrate the anniversary.

I also loved the first few video games, pretty fond memories of them! They went to the shitter with the Azkaban or Phoenix game though iirc.

Big Nikus

Jesus. I devoured the books as a child. Good times. Still have them carefully sorted and lined up in my shelf.

I don't think I have watched the most recent 3 or 4 movies however. Maybe I should do a movie marathon to celebrate the anniversary.

I also loved the first few video games, pretty fond memories of them! They went to the shitter with the Azkaban or Phoenix game though iirc.

Yeah flying around Hogwarts in Chamber of Secrets was fun :)
I'd love modern Harry Potter games (and not Lego).

I've literally grown up with this series. I still remember standing in line with my mom when I was 10 for the midnight release of book 7.

Gosh damn, you young. That ain't growing up. You were still a child by the time it ended and might not have been born when it released.

Ecotic

It's Harry Potter weekend on Freeform channel by the way, for those of you in here who said you missed out on many of the movies. They'll have a marathon. Freeform's versions put the deleted scenes seamlessly back in to stretch out the viewing time which makes the movies like extended editions.

CDX

I remember first hearing about it from the Rosie O'donnell show, at the time Rosie was importing the books from the UK or something for her kids to read, because they weren't in the US yet.

I remember Rosie telling the audience about JK Rowling's story and how poor she was when the book was written. Rosie had her on the talk show, and gave JK Rowling a computer or something. It was for JK to write with. Which is kind of funny to think about now with how wealthy JK Rowling is.

So those are my first memories of ever hearing ANYTHING about Harry Potter.

I was 10 as well! One month away form turning 11.

Went to the midnight release which was on the same day I finished primary school and the Summer Holiday began, so I got my red and silver school tie and used permanent marker to make it red and gold like Gryffindor's.

Ah yes, the series responsible for untold numbers of girls and boys crying that they didn't get letters from magical schools. My teacher also read us the first book back in grade school.

WHERE'S MY LETTER?!

Top Bottom