• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Image Epoch JRPG Conference - All info in OP, NISA to release IE titles in US/Europe

duckroll

I agree there isn't much consumer advantage in terms of NISA handling the localization of non-N1 games (the results are usually less than optimal). But honestly, I can't see this being that bad a thing. If nothing else, it keeps people from whining about "who cares" and "where's the English version", and so on. Makes it easier for me to read my own tiny JRPG threads!

/selfish

So, blatant speculation ahead...
Type-Moon x Imageepoch
Imageepoch previously worked with Type-Moon and Marvelous Entertainment on Fate/Extra, a PSP RPG that was released earlier this year. The new game will not be a followup to that. It will be a completely new game that's published by Imageepoch. At the press conference, Mikage said that he expects development to take three years and told attendees that they should consider this when speculating on the target platform.
It must be PS3 and maybe 360. They were hiring, it takes long, good license...please don't be a PC online game or some shit like that.

Ark Project
This is an original simulation RPG. Mikage said it will take less development time than the Type-Moon project.
Ark eh? Less time eh? 3DS Luminous Arc spiritual successor

Mars Project
A collaboration with a JRPG creator. Mikage teased that the creator was in the audience.
So what RPG creators showed up?

Remus Project
A JRPG conversion of an old PC game.
Have read it in various forms, nothing comes up....

SEGA COLLABORATION

But Sega and Imageepoch's ties run deeper than this. Closing off the press conference, Mikage announced that Imageepoch will still be doing work as a developer, and they're teaming up with Sega for a title to be released some time next year. Following a live musical number by a string quartet, he shared one teaser image of the project.
7th Dragon overworld song, Sega revealing/publishing...some sort of sequel, follow-up, successor?

duckroll said:
I agree there isn't much consumer advantage in terms of NISA handling the localization of non-N1 games (the results are usually less than optimal). But honestly, I can't see this being that bad a thing. If nothing else, it keeps people from whining about "who cares" and "where's the English version", and so on. Makes it easier for me to read my own tiny JRPG threads!

/selfish

Oh ducky, true words, true words.

duckroll

Actually, the way it is phrased, the Remus Project doesn't really sound like a single title, or a specific title. It seems to refer to a plan within Imageepoch to select and examine old PC games, old RPGs, and various more traditional titles which have been left behind or forgotten, and remaking them on modern hardware so fans can play and experience them again. If anything, this sounds like it will be a future sub-brand within the company, which takes up less work than making a brand new original game, but still having a specific audience in mind.

duckroll

Yes, Mr. Project MARS is definitely Shouji Masuda. Mikage has him as a friend on Twitter, and he also tweeted that he would be going to the conference.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
ImageEpoch's games seem like they're just a tad too grindy, and NIS isn't exactly the best when it comes to localizations (I'd have preferred XSEED, but they have their hands full with the Falcom contract)... but oh well, at least this means we'll be getting a lot of their games now.

I do like how ImageEpoch is one of the few Japanese companies that actually has faith in their product and doesn't really give a shit about western criticism of the RPG genre.

And I'm hoping the "old PC game" is Ultima series :D

Durante

Stumpokapow said:
WRT NISA They're not known for good text localizations, they're not known for bug-free localizations, they're not particularly stable financially, they don't have particularly good distribution...
All of that is true, and you can add that they're certainly not known for quick localizations of non-NISA titles. If nothing else they are known for always including a dual audio option when at all feasible, and that makes up for a lot in my book.

They've also improved quite a bit recently -- the low point in their localization quality seems to have been around Ar Tonelico 2 (which is sad since it's also the best game they localized).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'd be happier if they picked up the other two games Niinou directed as well but this is a start.

Bebpo

Banned
I wonder if its just a coincidence that they made a deal with NISA after their latest game was just published by N1. Makes me think NISA will definitely be bringing Criminal Girls over, which is a good thing since it's a pretty good game and it fits NISA's audience.

Bebpo

Banned
So if it's Masuda, does that mean they're making a spiritual new Tengai Makyou??? Because a real TM-ish game with a budget by sorta-competent rpg developers would be sweet.

Bebpo said:
So if it's Masuda, does that mean they're making a spiritual new Tengai Makyou??? Because a real TM-ish game with a budget by sorta-competent rpg developers would be sweet.
Rumors were about a new "Over my Dead Body":
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/11/22/new-over-my-dead-body-game-in-the-works/
Back in 1999, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan published a creative RPG called Over My Dead Body. An Oni cursed the hero’s bloodline making his linage age fifty times faster, essentially reducing their lifespan to two years. You can still have children so the game follows your (many) offspring as they grow stronger through generations to break the demon’s curse. Check out this Insert Credit forum post for more information about the PsOne game.

Over My Dead Body has a cult following in Japan, the only region where Sony published it, and a tweet from the game’s creator, Shoji Masuda, sparked rumors of a remake. Masuda tweeted some time ago a good notice arrived. He’s going to let the publisher officially announce the title, but next year he will be super busy.

The tweet isn’t necessarily tied to Over My Dead Body, Masuda could be working on another game. However, SCEJ posted a survey about a new game in the series back in September and Masuda has been discussing such a project on Twitter.
Maybe this was the reason why SCEJ boss was there...or not. I suppose SCEJ still holds the rights but Masuda/Imageepoch would be getting them for self-publishing?

Bebpo

Banned
Ah, that's too bad. After:

-low budget bad Tengai II remakes for GC/PS2
-SUPER low budget shitty Tengai Ziria remake on X360
-ULTRA low budget ____ browser based Tengai VII

It'd be nice to see the series or a spiritual successor to the series done with a full handheld rpg budget like Last Ranker or Arc Rise.

duckroll

Angelus Errare said:
Does this mean I'll get a Tsukihime RPG for PS3?!?!?! <starts to wheeze>

Unlikely. It is more likely that Typemoon is developing a brand new IP with Imageepoch for a RPG. Could be their biggest game yet.

Top Bottom