• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it worth getting a Vita purely for at-home PS4 remote play?

My wife loves going in to her own little world and playing games on a portable at home. That's one of the things she loved about Wii U. We've now got a Switch but there's little on there that interests her now that she's completed Snake Pass and World of Goo, she's waiting for SMO.

However, the PS4 is filled to the brim with games she really likes, and she's particularly excited for Crash soon, and currently playing Little Nightmares. But she'd prefer to play them portable, curled up on the sofa with her own little screen.

So, my question is whether it is worth getting a Vita purely for this purpose? How does it stack up for this? And how's the lag with the direct connection? Is the lack of double triggers a big issue for many games?

I have little to no lag doing local remote play... However, the lack of L2 and R2 buttons is absolutely a detrimental problem that is almost entirely responsible for me not using remote play at all any more.

Take that as you will.

I have little to no lag doing local remote play... However, the lack of L2 and R2 buttons is absolutely a detrimental problem that is almost entirely responsible for me not using remote play at all any more.

Take that as you will.

There are grips that can fix this issue I'm told.

Biske

Yes

Playing Persona 5 on it and pretending it's a Switch. Awesome. Fucking awesome

That being said the range is shit and I've never gotten it to work through the internet. So I can only ever use remote play in my bedroom.

Still bad ass though. Persona 5 looks great on the Vita

Take that as you will.
Can you remap the buttons? E.g. L2 and R2 on the Vita triggers and then L1 and R1 to the touchpad?

Depends what you want to play on it. RPGs like Persona 5 are great on it, but games that require fast reflexes and accuracy aren't. So basically shooters. The sticks just aren't made for it and the two missing triggers only make it worse.
And I've lived in 3 different places since I got my Vita and my connection has always been solid. It feels and looks native most of the time.

Take that as you will.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ERA94BY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

61mFnjjkjBL._SL1500_.jpg

This is the grip I use for playing Persona 5; makes it my preferred way to play it as it adds extra buttons.

I wish Sony would release a handheld/accessory purely designed for this purpose, with the extra triggers. That would be cool but I suppose it would just look like they were trying to compete with Switch with a 'less elegant' perceived solution, so it won't happen.

alexbull_uk

Just use a laptop and install the remote play app.

Results may vary, but I can say that both my PC that's wired into a gig switch alongside the PS4, and my MacBook that's connected to my router over 5GHz 802.11ac perform worse at remote play than my old Vita did. So if it's purely remote play that OP wants the Vita + a grip is 100% what I'd choose.

Played around 10-15 hours of the witcher this way and it was awesome.

Certain games work great on remote play but anything with small time windows will suck. I had barely any lag at all. I have a OLED model and haven't found a grip for L2/R2 yet or else I would use it more

Once you get everything set up properly, it's a dream. I only play my ps4 via remote play, I hardly ever use a controller any more. You can get used to the back touch panel in certain games, and certain other games have really well thought out control schemes specifically for remote play. Some games, however, do not, and have rather unintuitive controls. Sadly, the accessibility remapping does not work on vita or the ps4 system level. But I have put hundreds and hundreds of hours of GTA Online via remote play (including sniping someone flying a jet), hours upon hours of other action games, and currently an enjoying Nier Auomata on the little screen.

Edit- even playing over the internet works well, providing the connection is fast enough. But I've again enjoyed countless hours of GTA Online 50+ miles from my ps4. Was even better than I could have imagined. Again, it takes a little tweaking to get perfect. And I never was able to get the PC app to work even half as good.

batrush

No. The image quality, tiny UI on many games, and lag aside, Vita controls just aren't comfortable for full-end console games. Better off just getting a laptop/tablet and installing the remote play app on that if you absolutely refuse to just play on a TV/monitor.

If It's like $100 and your wifi is great throughout the house, sure. Also, get yourself a grip case with L2/R2 buttons... which hopefully aren't out of print or still import priced with import shipping.

I was a massive Vita fan and collector, even rationalized buying a PS4 sooner rather than later because it would compliment the Vita... but my apartment is like a lead bomb shelter if I leave the living room, so I've almost never gotten to get any use out of remote play like I wanted to. Same reason the PS TV and smaller TV in my bedroom don't get any remote play use either. Once in awhile I'll do it in the living room while someone else watches a movie, and that's pretty great... thought, I'd prefer to be utilizing my really nice 4K TV if the game is a visual feast. Depends on the genre.

Teepo671

From my experience with remote play on the vita, I'd say no. I'm not sure why but I get constant lag freezing when I play on my vita, both directly connected to the ps4 and while connected through the internet. It seems to happen more frequently when directly connected to the PS4 for some reason but it happens regularly regardless of how it's connected. I get a much smoother remote play experience when using my lap top.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It worth pointing out that only one account can use remote play on the Vita so if you get one for your wife and decide that you want use it for remote play you won't be able to.

Other than that I can't really comment on remote play as I haven't been able to get it to work on mine plus as mentioned the vita lacks the L2/R2 and L3/R3 button.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Not at all. Even trying to use the system in the next room over, like 15 feet from my router, I constantly get interruptions and visual issues as the remote connection attempts to maintain itself. Add in the lag even when the connection seems optimal and I could never last more than a few minutes using remote play.

Opa-Pa

Honestly... Unless you're really, really desperate, then no.

I always appreciated the option to use remote play on mine, but I adore my Vita and use it for lots of regular gaming. And the truth is that remote play can be very hit and miss, so sometimes it'll work great with a regular connection or playing at home without wifi, and sometimes games will look like shit and have terrible lag for no reason.

Again, it's GREAT when it does work, but it's so uneven that I'd simply recommend a laptop instead.

zenspider

Do you have a laptop you can test a PS remote play connection with?

Also PS4 has an option to use a direct connection with Vita before searching for wifi which has helped people with lag issues even feet from the router, and going ethernet from the PS4 to the router would be a big boost.

I'd say worth it - just look into the games and their remote play control schemes first.

autoduelist

Absolutely.

Works great, and you get vita, psp, and ps1 games too... there are some your wife might love.

I can even play 'twitchy' games like Resogun via remote play, but generally do play 'slower' games.

Griffmo

Neo Member
Just use a laptop and install the remote play app.

Couldn't agree more. I have a near flawless in home connection with my MacBook and have ran into random disconnects from my Vita. All on the same network. Using a laptop also lets you use the proper L2/R2.

Shingro

Yes, remote play is amazing, it's a little tough to do online play, but still totally possible.

Played persona 5 after work and showed a friend puyo puyo tetris at their house. Vita is a no brainer if you have plus

mrk8885

Banned
There are grips that can fix this issue I'm told.

Those trigger grips are legit. I couldn't believe they worked as well as they do. A remote play godsend.

That said, no, I wouldn't get a vita just for remote play. But get one for remote play AND the cool library.

Couldn't agree more. I have a near flawless in home connection with my MacBook and have ran into random disconnects from my Vita. All on the same network. Using a laptop also lets you use the proper L2/R2.

I think the OP's point is for it to feel like a handheld. A laptop with a controller won't be like that.

mrk8885

Banned
But if not a Vita, just remote play with an app using a ds4.

I success my remote play almost daily in my house. I love it.

mrk8885

Banned
Played around 10-15 hours of the witcher this way and it was awesome.

Certain games work great on remote play but anything with small time windows will suck. I had barely any lag at all. I have a OLED model and haven't found a grip for L2/R2 yet or else I would use it more

There was a short period of time where an oled vita version of the trigger grip was available. I own it and it works great.

My experiences with remote play have been fairly disappointing, with a good deal of input latency even when in the same room as my PS4. If you could somehow test out how this feature works for you first that would be advisable.

There was a short period of time where an oled vita version of the trigger grip was available. I own it and it works great.

Yeah I remember but I didn't jump on it fast enough. I think there were some on amazon Japan but they are so spotty on what they will ship to the US

I would say no. That's why I bought a Vita and the lag made me quickly give up on it. I found plenty of Vita games to make the system worth it but if you just want it for remote play I'd pass on it. It's shortcomings relative to even off-tv play on the Wii U will become quickly apparent.

Snakeyes

It's been straight up garbage for me. Constant artifacts, lag and disconnects with the PS4 and router no more than 15 feet away and with direct line of sight to the Vita. I'd recommend against it, especially if you live in an area with lots of Wi-Fi congestion.

mrk8885

Banned
It's a shame so many of you have bad problems. Bummer

It's really glorious when it's working wel. Been playing a ton of persona 5 with RP.

Make sure you have a killer router.

Yeah. I get lag no matter what. It pisses me off. If you know your shit and can set up a solid-as-fuck home network with an awesome router, I suppose it'll work.

Unfortunately for me, I don't know how to iron out the kinks. I'm convinced the network card in my Vita is somehow faulty. It's really a gargantuan piece of shit.

I'd give anything for flawless remote play similar to that of the Nintendo Switch.

Top Bottom