• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Smash Bros. DOJO!! is 10 years old

Peléo

Probably my pinnacle of being excited for a game. One of my best memories from that era was flipping out when Pokemon Trainer was revealed.

Man how time flies - I used to stay up until 1-2AM to see what would be revealed!

I still think this was one of the best marketing campaigns for any game.

j.rob

I don't think I will ever experience a gaming event/Memory like the dojo ever again.

Smash 4's trailers were hype don't get me wrong, but knowing there was SOMETHING coming every day ranging from "lol this is how you jump" to "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG CONFIRMED" was just magical.

Luckily in the U.K. It updated at like 8am, so it was perfect for my school routine. Then of course meeting up with my friends in the morning at class and discussing the update.

The only thing that has recently even come close to that feeling was the great Pokémon GO hype of last summer where EVERYONE was on it.

So much has changed in my life since then Jesus Christ.
Dammit I'm getting all nostalgic. I fucking love video games.

I remember the game got delayed so much, but I actually played a prank on a couple of my friends. I screenshot the website and in Microsoft paint edited out the release date and replace it with something months later, printed it out, and took it to school. They all believed it and one friend was so upset he ripped my picture into tiny pieces.

I'll always enjoy the Dojo. I totally stayed up crazy late in the mornings a couple times for those updates

wario_070629e-l.jpg

In this case, patience really is a virtue.

mas8705

Anyone else feel old? Can't believe it has been that long since the Dojo was up and running. I remember those glorious evenings where I stayed up late just to see what screenshot that was about to get posted and the hype behind Sonic's reveal that caused the page to crash several times over.

Those were good times, but too bad the same couldn't have been said of the game itself... Poor Brawl never stood a chance against Melee...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! This site was what kept me going that year as I lost someone close in a car accident. I was up until 2-3 AM easily every night anyway, this helped greatly to numb the pain.

Wamb0wneD

I feel like it was the best and the worst way of doing things at the same time. I loved it but at the end I knew pretty much everything about the game before it even came out.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This was the coolest. Why didn't they do it again for 3DS/Wii U?
But they did with miiverse, smashgaf can attest to staying up to 2-3 am everyday for those snapshots, ranged from nothing photos to mostly deconformarions of Nintendo characters like Ashley.

And sakurai trolled us so fucking bad all the time

Peltz

I remember this very well. My SSBM friends and I would constantly talk about it. Too bad the damn teaser site was the most fun part of SSBB.

But they did with miiverse, smashgaf can attest to staying up to 2-3 am everyday for those snapshots, ranged from nothing photos to mostly deconformarions of Nintendo characters like Ashley.

And sakurai trolled us so fucking bad all the time
It was both amazing and incredibly stressful, haha.

Checked it every day. Sonic was huge, and I remember seeing it right before I went to school that morning and I couldn't contain my excitement.

The reveals of Captain Olimar and King Dedede were also hype as hell for me.

emb

The Dojo was so amazing. I remember hanging out with friends one night, refreshing the page since we were up, and seeing Pokemon trainer. The idea seemed so insane and cool at the time.

And then I also remember so many nights where I was still up an hour or two before the update, and thought, "might as well stay up", only to be really mad when the update was bad, or worse, late.

This is probably my favorite quote from the site:

"He takes out the sword he stole from the six Sages and takes a look at it.

... Then puts it away.

What are you putting it away for? Use it! People tend to make fun of Ganondorf for this."

Every time I see it, I just imagine a circle of hecklers pointing and laughing at Ganondorf, the Evil King slumped over in humiliation.

I'm convinced talking about the Dojo is the only way you'll get GAF to talk about Brawl in a positive way.

I guarantee you we'll get a Melee vs Brawl/Smash 4 argument in this very thread.

One of my favorite quotes:

Smash Bros. Dojo!! said:
Is he using the Triforce to slash enemies? Or is it the Triforce doing the slashing?

You don’t have time to ponder such questions, as Link has just grabbed a Smash Ball.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
No exaggeration, this was the single best lead-up to any game, ever.
I can reaffirm that this is not an exaggeration

ASaiyan

Banned
You wouldn't imagine my face when I woke up on the faithful morning of October 10, 2007 in a drowsy state, only to get online and see the page slowly load while the words "SONIC" appeared....

I'll never forget this day. Like every Dojo update, it just showed up one morning, no advance announcement or fanfare. In my memory, the site, the IGN forums I frequented, and even YouTube were chugging hard all morning. I absolutely screamed with delight when I saw it, and it was all anyone was talking about at school.

In retrospect, it was probably the single greatest thing we got out of Brawl, lol.
Runners-up: Subspace Emissary, Assist Trophies. I guess online
play counts too but it was absolutely terrible.

The greatest hype train for better or worse. Have always been wary of hype ever since. A powerful lesson
The Dojo dominated my heart and mind for the full two-year long leadup to that game. What we finally got out of it was, looking back, clearly the lowpoint of the series, but I was young enough at the time that I glossed over the slow fights and the hype actually felt redeemed. It took Spore and Scribblenauts to finally break my hype spirit, lol.

Hazu

I miss that time so much!

I wish Nintendo would make another website like this one but for all their games, in which they could share screenshots and informations every day on their games in development.

emb

Zalman

This was an awesome time. There's nothing like Smash hype for me. Even the Pic of the Day stuff for Wii U/3DS was great.

I actually went 100% spoiler free for Brawl. Didn't really have internet and never knew about the dojo.

I say it was better seeing Snake and Sonic as challengers approaching for the first time then seeing a screenshot.

Weren't Snake and Sonic both on the back of the game case though? I guess you're lucky you never turned it over!

MrT-Tar

Dojo hype was incredible. On a school trip to Krakow in summer 2007, I remember going to an internet cafe primarily to catch up on 2-3 days of Dojo updates. Now smartphones and 4G make obsessing over video games news easier!

Kneefoil

This was the first time that I followed an upcoming game so closely that I ended up feeling like they had revealed too much of the game prior to release. I'm sure I would've still gotten spoiled though, since Brawl came out in the PAL regions so much later than elsewhere.

I remember waking up every morning in suspense of what the next unveiling would be.
Same.

You wouldn't imagine my face when I woke up on the faithful morning of October 10, 2007 in a drowsy state, only to get online and see the page slowly load while the words "SONIC" appeared....
And same.

As a kid, Lucario was my most anticipated reveal. Sonic was a pleasant surprise. So many good memories.

L Thammy

There needs to be a Smash Dojo in between Smash games, where they just tell you information you already know and post screenshots of Zero Suit Samus lying down every day. Occasionally with videos where Sakurai is always wearing the same shirt.

Or a Slash Dojo, where Sakurai entertains you with his Nintendo yaoi fanfiction on a daily basis.

lazyguy

god I checked that shit every day. I remember when I came home from school on a Wednesday and seeing Sonic on the page and losing my shit. I MEAN DAMN HOW'S THAT EVEN POSSIBLE. Crazy times man

I was still in school when it opened—I remember sneaking into the site during class to check updates in the morning. Good times. Wish they'd bring that back in some form.

Weren't Snake and Sonic both on the back of the game case though? I guess you're lucky you never turned it over!
I never got the game Case lol.

It was a surprise gift from my dad, he surprised me by replacing my Mario Galaxy game without me knowing. I was shocked when the Menu showed Smash icon.

He then proceeded to lose Mario Galaxy and the case lol. It was worth it, I would take Smash over Mario Galaxy any day.

CassSept

These ridiculous quotes were the best, seriously.

It was exciting how every day you could get anything really, from out of the blue character reveal to stage reveals to bloody Piplup. Anything could have happened.

L Thammy

These ridiculous quotes were the best, seriously.

It was exciting how every day you could get anything really, from out of the blue character reveal to stage reveals to bloody Piplup. Anything could have happened.

It's Snake that did it. Snake in Smash was something that no person could predict without having access to the Akashic records. Before Snake was revealed, people would have laughed at you for suggesting Sonic would be in. Cloud? Ryu? You must be crazy.

But then Snake came out, and now everything's possible. No suggestion is impossible because the impossible had already happened.

I feel like we've taken things for granted since then and that's a shame. What Smash is today is completely ridiculous and it's awesome.

Easily the most hype I've ever been for a game in my life. There was some insanely hilarious times brought because of this site, lots of memories of browsing GAF and GameFAQs around then.

"I'll do it! I'm doing it!" is still one of the funniest things to me.

Top Bottom