• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Triple H |OT| February Wrasslin

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Best and Worst of Raw 2/20/12
About that whole Eve is a slut thing
Keep in mind that this is John Cena doing the slut shaming. Not CM Punk. It would’ve been disappointing to see Punk do it, especially given how weird his reactions to women can be, but Punk isn’t the clean-cut do-gooding child-inspiring WWE franchise Superman. Punk isn’t the guy hugging handicapped little girls in video packages. He’s not Mr. Make-a-Wish, the guy that cares so much for the well-being of others that he’s willing to devote 300 of his 365 days a year to making sick kids feel better.

THAT’s the guy telling Eve Torres she’s a “hoeski” for kissing him once and suddenly having ulterior motives for it. Because she kissed him … again, kissed him, it’s not like she tricked him into having a clandestine orgy somewhere in the bowels of the Staples Center … she is worthy of scorn, not for being manipulative or a liar, but because she’s a skank, a whore, a bitch, everything you can call a woman for specifically being a woman.

It makes the crowd go “oooh” and get a little behind Cena, because they want to see the slut punished for being bad to the guy they like. That’s what it accomplishes. The guy in the Rise Above Hate shirt who tells you not to bully people is openly and unabashedly hating a woman for being a whore she’s never actually been. And at home, Zack Ryder — the loveable guy who spent the last several months pining over Eve and repeatedly expressing how much he loves her — types “broskis before hoeskis” on Twitter and makes it trend.

And that’s what we’re left with. Even the best of our characters are reducing women to objects, then condemning them for being objects when they get misrepresented or rejected.
There's more on Eve than what I quoted and I'd recommed more than usual that people go read the whole thing.

A friend and I were talking about this yesterday while watching Raw and he mentioned how very Russo this whole angle has been. You have the absurd romance angle, Supernatural Kane being treated like a real thing, weird third wall breaking for no reason, random turns, and absurd levels of misogyny.

The whole opening segment into the Eve/Cena in ring segment made me feel like I was watching TNA from any point in the last year and a half, and that is a very uncomfortable feeling.

EDIT: Beaten, whatever

Kaladin

Some fan got a photo with Vince McMahon after Raw last night:

8NMBm.jpg

The guy in the picture explains it. Also, a great story about Big Johnny:

See? Johnny Ace shakes hands. Would Teddy Long shake your hand?

#TeamExcitement

SoulPlaya

more money than God
So guys, 20 - 0 or 19 - 1, this is really it isn't it? I mean, what is left for Undertaker to do after facing Triple H inside of a Cell?
It's just sad that this match is now more about HHH and HBK than it is Taker. It's been like that for 4 years now. At least if it were Kane or even Mankind, then the entire story would be about Taker. I always thought Taker's last match and retirement would be a much bigger deal, but it's been an afterthought, unfortunately.

steveovig

Jesus dude, we get it, you've got a huge man-crush on Cena.

Most over guy in the world...lol.

I wouldn't say crush at all, he's not a guy I really care for really. I'd like to know who you think is the most over guy in the world, if Cena isn't. I'm sure I'll get either a great answer or no answer at all!

RBH

The Best and Worst of Raw 2/20/12
About that whole Eve is a slut thing

There's more on Eve than what I quoted and I'd recommed more than usual that people go read the whole thing.

A friend and I were talking about this yesterday while watching Raw and he mentioned how very Russo this whole angle has been. You have the absurd romance angle, Supernatural Kane being treated like a real thing, weird third wall breaking for no reason, random turns, and absurd levels of misogyny.

The whole opening segment into the Eve/Cena in ring segment made me feel like I was watching TNA from any point in the last year and a half, and that is a very uncomfortable feeling.

EDIT: Beaten, whatever

I also wasn't much of a fan of the whole slut-shaming segment to kick off Raw yesterday. For starters, they established Eve as a heel character and gave her a modicum of personality for the first time in her career, and then two minutes later, she gets her comeuppance. Huh? Why even run the storyline in the first place if you're just going to wrap it up in 5 minutes in order to proceed with the Cena/Rock angle? There was something about seeing John Cena of all people throwing out those kind of insults that just felt really weird. I wasn't offended by it, but it just came off as excessive and an incredibly desperate attempt to make people cheer for Cena.

Brinbe

I also wasn't much of a fan of the whole slut-shaming segment to kick off Raw yesterday. For starters, they established Eve as a heel character and gave her a modicum of personality for the first time in her career, and then two minutes later, she gets her comeuppance. Huh? Why even run the storyline in the first place if you're just going to wrap it up in 5 minutes in order to proceed with the Cena/Rock angle? There was something about seeing John Cena of all people throwing out those kind of insults that just felt really weird. I wasn't offended by it, but it just came off as excessive and an incredibly desperate attempt to make people cheer for Cena.

Bang-on, that's exactly how I felt watching that yesterday. They had something going all the way up until Eve turned around and Cena showed up, all downhill from there. Just awfully infantile and embarrassing to lead the show off with that.

And all those petty insults towards females/homophobic jokes that a lot of those guys throw out there don't work nowadays. It isn't 99, or hell, even 2004 anymore.

The slut shaming was awkward. I guess it says a lot about how far we've come on that social problem that it was so normal in wrestling a decade ago but uncomfortable to watch it last night. So there's the silver lining, even if WWE writers are still stuck in the '90s.

XenoRaven

The slut shaming was awkward. I guess it says a lot about how far we've come on that social problem that it was so normal in wrestling a decade ago but uncomfortable to watch it last night. So there's the silver lining, even if WWE writers are still stuck in the '90s.
It's certainly an upgrade from Vince making Trish get down on all fours and bark like a dog.

MIKEAL

Banned
Bang-on, that's exactly how I felt watching that yesterday. They had something going all the way up until Eve turned around and Cena showed up, all downhill from there. Just awfully infantile and embarrassing to lead the show off with that.

I went to the elimination chamber ppv, and was laughing my ass off all the way through the promo video for the ambulance match. The entire story-line is infantile. Not only the 'embrace the hatred' angle, but also the amount of attention put into 'the kiss'. Maybe its because I'm older, or maybe its because i remember a time when 'Sexual Chocolate' and 'Val Venis' (hell, even the Godfather) were pushing the boundaries of what you can show on a show-by-show basis, but i just can't take this shit seriously at all. Its a fucking joke to me

And all those petty insults towards females/homophobic jokes that a lot of those guys throw out there don't work nowadays. It isn't 99, or hell, even 2004 anymore.

Good point, I suppose all of the "Greats of the Attitude Era"™ were the worst perpetrators (and still are to this day, looking at you Rocky) but to turn a phrase, it gets better.

Right now they have some of the best lady wrestlers that the company has ever had just waiting in the wings, would be nice to see some of them get in the spotlight for wrestling and not just poop or slut jokes.

Wonder if Triple H is going to be any bit of an improvement over Vince in terms of respecting women. To give credit where it's due, he was instrumental in giving Chyna one of the most legitimate pushes a woman's wrestler has ever seen.

XenoRaven

Wonder if Triple H is going to be any bit of an improvement over Vince in terms of respecting women. To give credit where it's due, he was instrumental in giving Chyna one of the most legitimate pushes a woman's wrestler has ever seen.
Wasn't he also sleeping with her at the time though?

Judderman

drawer by drawer
@WadeBarrett said:
Don't shed any crocodile tears for me... I could still give every single one of you a good slapping even with only one arm.

The biggest downer is that I was scheduled to face Papa Shango this year at 'Mania. That's up in the air now. #Hexed

This is a travesty. They should just have him interfere in the MITB match and grab the briefcase with one arm.

Morgadeth

What's the plan for next week, WWE? Gonna have Cena walk out and rape someone? "Be a star" indeed!

Seriously, they might as well ditch this PG nonsense, kids should never be exposed to this sort of thing.

Also, can't stand what they did to Eve's character. I'd expect that short of thing from Kelly Kelly. :p

Yeah, Eve's heel turn and storyline for it was completely rushed. I don't understand why they waited until yesterday to do it. They really should have done the turn at the PPV and then have her do her evil plan for a few weeks until Cena and Ryder found out about it.

This company just can't do storylines justice. They fucked up Kane's return and they fucked up Eve's heel turn.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
The definition of slut shaming is mocking and ridiculing a girl for simply being sexual. Which isn't the impression I got watching that segment. They were mocking her for being a lying, conniving, back stabber, who has no regard for herself. It's not slut shaming when the person is portraying someone who is indeed a slut.

Brinbe

Yeah, Eve's heel turn and storyline for it was completely rushed. I don't understand why they waited until yesterday to do it. They really should have done the turn at the PPV and then have her do her evil plan for a few weeks until Cena and Ryder found out about it.

This company just can't do storylines justice. They fucked up Kane's return and they fucked up Eve's heel turn.
Tried their damn hardest to fuck up Jericho's too.

Yeah, no shit. Anybody who came to that conclusion about "slut shaming" missed the point entirely and are making up plot points that never happened. Eve was just proud of the fact she didn't give a fuck about Zack Ryder. Eve never banged Ryder or Cena.

I was more offended that the whole thing didn't make any fucking sense whatsoever. Also, the Bellas were suddenly acting like babyfaces and showing concern for Ryder, then went right back to being heels an hour later.

UberTag

Tried their damn hardest to fuck up Jericho's too.
I think Chris Jericho is legit the best Canadian professional wrestler of all-time. And I could give a rat's ass about his current WWE persona or his match with CM Punk. I'd rather watch Triple H wrestle Jericho's "Lite Brite" jacket while Punk does commentary.

The definition of slut shaming is mocking and ridiculing a girl for simply being sexual. Which isn't the impression I got watching that segment. They were mocking her for being a lying, conniving, back stabber, who has no regard for herself. It's not slut shaming when the person is portraying someone who is indeed a slut.

Okay, then address those points.

Miz also stabs people in the back, but we don't hear Truth calling him a slut or refusing to wrestle him because "gross, STD's".
We have Zack Ryder following Cena's lead on twitter despite the fact that Cena should be every bit the whore as Eve in Zack's mind.

In short, Be A *

Okay, then address those points.

Miz also stabs people in the back, but we don't hear Truth calling him a slut or refusing to wrestle him because "gross, STD's".
We have Zack Ryder following Cena's lead on twitter despite the fact that Cena should be every bit the whore as Eve in Zack's mind.

In short, Be A *
To be fair, Miz didn't give anyone a lip lock before attacking Truth.

Whatever your opinion on slut-shaming, it was completely fucking stupid character assassination of Eve, a rushed booking swerve to get more people behind Cena after two months of fucking awful Kane filler. It was just all-around bad.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I like how the first thing after they give Kane his mask back is they throw him in a filler feud with Cena and he gets tossed into an amba lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom