• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sixaxis more accurate than Wiimote?

Hiltz

In some Wii games, it's not so much about whether or not motion control is responsive. Instead it's whether or not the Wii can correctly detect and translate the specific motion gesture.

For example, the motion control is quite responsive in games like No More Heroes. However, if you were to perform a finisher move by swinging the controller to the left, you could still usually get away with executing the motion gesture by swinging the Wii remote to the right.

Even in Mario Galaxy, the same issue applies. The motion control is extremely responsive, especially for the rolling ball and manta ray surfing. However, I found that it is much easier to use the rolling ball's more precise method of motion control for use during the manta ray surfing. This is despite the fact that the game says to use the motion control in specifically different ways for both mini games.

One game that really surprised me by how responsive and accurate the motion controls are is ExciteTruck. I didn't expect the controls to work out that well given the fast-paced and rather chaotic nature of the gameplay. Then it only gets better in Excitebots which throws in even more gameplay mechanics and elements. Go figure. :D

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
yes, in that it has two sticks and eight action buttons, eliminating any real need for semifunctional novelty motion controls

They seem about the same if used on the side if you excuse the shape of the PS3 controller not suited for that type of movement. The flaws of the Wii remote motion controls come from when it's used vertically, something the sixaxis rarely does.

It is mostly game to game when used on the side though. Flower is the best example of fluid motion using that control style, but you can play something else with controls that bare a resemblance and not have the same effect.

I don't know anything about the Sixaxis, but I am so glad that NeoGAF is finally giving Wario Ware: Smooth Moves some FREAKING LOVE.

Seriously, that game is an awesome implementation of motion controls and I recommend it to many.

kinggroin

Banned
AlphaTwo00 said:
People who the Wii one is inferior and not sensitive enough, have you tried Kororinpa: Marble Mania or Marble Saga: Kororinpa?

No shit, exactly what I was thinking. Though for what few games I've used it in, motion controls in the PS3 controller feels like it works on the same level as what's in the wiimote/nunchuck.

I'm betting folks are seeing a difference between software implimentations (like buffering movments and things like that).

Septimus

There are times when Sixaxis is awesome and times when it is horrible. Top mentions go out to Folklore, Flower, R&C, Warhawk, Motorstorm, Killzone. The absolute worst implementation I've come across was that PSN game Toy Cars. Ugh.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
SecretBonusPoint said:
Flower felt like the first type motion control has been done right, to me.
super monkey ball, excitetruck, excitebots, mario kart, wii sports, tiger woods, zack & wiki and SSX blur all say high, and that's just off the top of my head. you might mean the first flying game to use motion controls, which I'd have to look but you may be right... but there are tons of wii games that use non-pointer motion controls to an almost perfect effect.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Squeak said:
Basically tilt control is a worthless gimmick. It doesn't do anything a joystick doesn't do far better.
joystick operates on a 2D plain (x/y). Motion operates on a 3D plane (x/y/z). The best you can do with a joystick is to either force a third plane through rail movement or allow a second control to half-assedly simulate the third access (button or second stick for movement). That's the entire success of the Wii imho. praise or bitch about the systems general software lineup as much as you want, but it's without question that the controller is a genuine success, one that Sony and MS realize to the extent of releasing their own versions. And while it could be argued that they just want to release the same casual crap for their controllers that has made the wii a success (I don't really think that, but just offering it up) the fact still remains that there are a ton of motion controlled games on the wii that are more interactive and compelling with motion controls. And even games that while motion controls don't bring anything know to the game, they give it a familiar control style beyond just the game pad (light guns, racing wheels, tennis rackets, golf club, etc).

I know the game is shallow, but still the concept behind wii sports mechanics would NOT be anywhere near the same on a regular controller.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Honestly, it seems to me that the two controllers are roughly on par with one another in regards to the accelerometers. Any differences noted would likely be the result of software programming.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Apenheul said:
The SIXAXIS is actually somewhere inbetween the Wii remote and the Nunchuck device if it comes to sensitivity, at least that's what my memory tells me from my experience with them. Wii Remote is 3.4G, SIXAXIS (I think) is about 3G. Both devices had a sample rate of 100hz. Most games would probably work on both devices, it's just that you can max-out the accelerometers in the SIXAXIS controller much easier.

I wrote a driver for the SIXAXIS that did sub-frame interpolation and (optional) lowpass filtering to smoothen results from the controller, and spline interpolation to predict accelerations that exceeded 3G (that would otherwise be clipped because the accelerometer was maxed out). Got way better results after that.
did noone really read what this man said?

question: Why the hell do you need to plug in the sensor bar if its only used as a tracker for the wiiMote itself (ie. candles don't need wires, why does the bar needem?)

Threi

notag
Xal-Shoota said:
question: Why the hell do you need to plug in the sensor bar if its only used as a tracker for the wiiMote itself (ie. candles don't need wires, why does the bar needem?)
How would you power the infrared LEDs? (unless you want to use batteries)

Vinci

Danish
JodyAnthony said:
even though i am a nintendo fanboy all the way, i still think that the sixaxis motion sensing seems much smoother, at least in my experiences.

Helps when people actually try to use it well. Also, holding it with two hands might make for a steadier experience compared to using one alone (most of the time) with the Wiimote. ExciteBots and its predecessor illustrate how sensitive the Wiimote is when steadied between two hands.

BDGAME

batbeg said:
While I won't deny the fun of motion controls for tilt-oriented games (as they bring me closer to the classic Labyrinth experience), how are these games impossible without tilt controls? Marble Madness, Mercury Meltdown, Super Monkey Ball all did pretty damn good. Or is it something specific about Kororinpa (which, to my great shame, I have not played yet).

Yes, it's impossible.

15ccaix.jpg

A normal marble game use only the four directions and a normal control can do the job.

Kororinpa use the scenario in a total 3D mode, and a 360 control is need to play this game in totality.

For a example, try to pick the first Green Crystal in the first level of the game.

How that part can be done in a normal control? And it's only the start.

Top Bottom