• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirokazu

Where are the apps for Maps? Uber was updated in the last day and I don't see any Maps functionality. OpenTable was updated with a Messages app but no Maps functionality. There's nowhere in Maps I look at supported apps either.

How does this version run on an iPhone 5S?
Updated my mum's iPhone 5 and it runs just as well as iOS 9 did.

robotrock

Banned
Just wanted to mention that swiping right to access the camera instead of swiping up is the smartest thing Apple has done since they invented HD movies.
Three if you have any HomeKit stuff. That's when the real shit kicks in

Man, I have the Hue light set up, but I don't have the new bridge. Super frustrating.

Fliesen

My god that is bananas. Thanks for the tip.

Command center didn't use to have two panels did it? In any case I love this.

it didn't before, and it was really crammed and a bunch of clickable labels. (AirPlay, AirDrop, ...)
especially on the iPad it looked really ... shitty
2015-09-15-200239.jpeg

moving playback controls (including showing available bluetooth and airplay devices, without having to enter a submenu) to another pane was pretty smart imho. - (on the iPad that is)

Just wanted to mention that swiping right to access the camera instead of swiping up is the smartest thing Apple has done since they invented HD movies.

swiping up from the corner was kinda fiddly, yeah.

Metal-Geo

C'mon Apple. Either update your Xcode GM seed or just publish the new Xcode version. This Swift compiler bug is killing me.

samn

My general rule (that's always held up) is don't install a version of iOS that's more than two releases past the original version that came with the iPhone. So the iPhone 5 came with iOS 6, so I wouldn't install past iOS 8 on it. The iPhone 5s came with 7.0, so 9.0 is the last release I'd put on it.

Installing iOS past two releases from what came with the phone is asking for slowness. Though they did improve backwards compatibility starting with 9.0, so you may be able to stretch it to 3 versions at this point.

This is TERRIBLE advice considering that previous iOSes don't get security patches. Just a few weeks ago we had a vulnerability that let someone take over your device with a text message.

And the 5s feels faster with 10 than it did 9.

It still seems to work fine? I guess you're okay with planned obsolescence to drive sales but I think it's kind of lame. I guess I do enjoy buying a new product every 5 year regardless of the functionality of my previous one, I should start doing that with everything I own it'd be genius.

I'm fairly sure 80% of the things I own are obsolete if I'm using your Apple standard of obsoleteness.
Pretty sure apple tend to support more devices than most other phone makers. The 5 is supported.. That is pretty old now.

This is always going to happen eventually, it isn't as if it stops your prove from working.

I'm trying to decide if I want to install iOS10 on my 6s plus, or wait for my 7 to arrive to get the "new phone experience." The 6s was my first apple phone, and with all previous android devices, each new phone seemed like a completely different experience with the differing OSes.

Fliesen

I'm trying to decide if I want to install iOS10 on my 6s plus, or wait for my 7 to arrive to get the "new phone experience." The 6s was my first apple phone, and with all previous android devices, each new phone seemed like a completely different experience with the differing OSes.

i'd try it out on your current phone so you'll be able to figure out which of the new features and apps (widgets, iMessage stickers, etc.) are actually worthwhile and which aren't.
So you'll be able to set up your iPhone 7 nicely, having skipped that experimental period.

iFirez

My god that is bananas. Thanks for the tip.

Command center didn't use to have two panels did it? In any case I love this.

Anyone know if you can swipe across to the second panel and then next time you bring up CC it will stay on the second panel? I use it for music far too much, music and brightness actually... god damn it, I'm going to be swiping left and right more than a Tinder user once I get this update.

Anion

Anyone know if you can swipe across to the second panel and then next time you bring up CC it will stay on the second panel? I use it for music far too much, music and brightness actually... god damn it, I'm going to be swiping left and right more than a Tinder user once I get this update.
It stays up in the GM if you left it on the right panel lol

I wonder if this will fix the stupid battery glitch that got introduced MONTHS ago and still hasn't been properly addressed. Battery reporting on myself and my boyfriend's phones are shit, with mine being noticeably worse (if it gets to 40% the phone can turn off any minute, his will get to that stage when it hits 20%~)

Fliesen

Yawn, call me when it's Jailbroken.

Ain't no way in hell I'm using a non JB iOS version.

since Apple keeps adding new features from the JB community every version, might wanna give me a short update on the essential JB features and tweaks that are still missing, that make you opt for a JB iOS 9 over a vanilla iOS 10?

Fliesen

Free today as in download today and you get it keep it forever free of charge?

click the link :p

aUUJwPq.png

;)

edit: oh, you meant whether it's just a "free day" on a subscription based service. Nah. It's just a paid app that is free to buy for today. (Geekbench 3 was $0.99, btw, so ... it's no big deal, really)

I have been running iOS 10 Beta on my 5s for months and it runs very well although I am looking forward to my new iPhone 7 plus.

And the advice not to update the OS for any device is horrible. The OS updates include security updates which are essential.

Fliesen

Will update my SE but waiting on impressions for iPad mini 3.

mini 3 = "mini with retina (mini 2) with touch ID", right?
that should be roughly iPhone 5S / iPad Air hardware territory, right?
My iPad Air runs iOS 10 perfectly fine, fwiw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom