• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roy Moore and the white Alabama voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just looking over the exit poll data and happened upon this interesting nugget:

DQ5nw4QXcAAFeqF.jpg

Why did so many white people vote for a pedophile? Why was a child rapist candidate not bad enough for white people to finally relinquish their privilege and make the right decision?

If black people didn't show up in record numbers, if white people had their way, the next senator of Alabama would have been an adult man who was once balls deep inside a 14 year old.

You are welcome. Thank god for US.

eGcoKDO.gif

Why did so many white people vote for a pedophile? Why was a child rapist candidate not bad enough for white people to finally relinquish their privilege and make the right decision?

Im not American, but my guess is that (mostly) poor white people will be on the receiving end of Democrat policies relating to things like crime and immigration.
Voting for a guy who chases 14 year old girls probably isnt very appealing to most people (Aus tv said the Repub turnout was lower than usual), but many people who see Democrats as a threat, would still consider it to be the lesser evil. Thats my theory.

ThisGuy

I was just looking over the exit poll data and happened upon this interesting nugget:

DQ5nw4QXcAAFeqF.jpg

If black people didn't show up in record numbers, if white people had their way, the next senator of Alabama would have been an adult man who was once balls deep inside a 14 year old.

eGcoKDO.gif
Over half the voters were white, and 31% voted for a decent person.

Do you have the actual number of voters and a source?

I'm interested in seeing these numbers fleshed out and broke down.

Redd

That's still too close. How fucked up do you gotta be to vote for Moore. Hell write in another Republican if you can't vote democrat. Bless the record turnout of minority voters.

highrider

Banned
This is kind of like saying what’s with the terrorism middle eastern people, what’s wrong with ya’ll?

It’s just people man. A lot of people are shitty, some are irredeemable. Most people are ok in my experience, but you have a lot of backwards individuals in America. It’s a combination of entitlement, blame, and poor education/critical thinking. Race is kind of the last value these people can place on themselves, it certainly isn’t their shitty job or dynamic life. I can imagine this would be fairly prevalent in Alabama, probably one of the most if not the most historically racist areas of the south. So #notallwhitepeople, but with the understanding there is still quite a few that are human waste pretty much.

Party politics are serious business to people for some inexplicable reason
This has more to do with Republicans voting the party line no matter what than it is "oh white people are fucking up".

If you were born white in Alabama there's a very good chance you'd vote the same way
If you were a 20something in 1940s Nazi Germany you'd probably be a Nazi

We expect so much of people whose circumstances are stacked against them

I don't hate anyone. I'm just immensely frustrated with the way that white people forsake their decency, morals, and financial/social interests just to hurt people like me.

It's not a "white people" thing. It's a racist, sexist, selfish asshole, etcetc thing. It just so happens that in this case many of the people voting for moore were white... that doesn't mean white people elsewhere would automatically do the same.

This is also the deep, deep south. I'm honestly shocked (and glad) moore lost. Progress is a long windy road.

pramod

Banned
The Republican Party of Alabama is a bit less innocent than "a party you don't" like. Voting for them (let alone their pedo candidate) is a statement about what you value, and not a good one.

Hmm what exactly did they do? I'm not too informed about Alabama politics. So what horrible harm did they inflict on black people in Alabama?

These are the white people that think coal mining will come back.

They are left behind and are no better than the people they hate.

pramod

Banned
I actually think the Republicans dodged a bullet here. If Moore won they would either have to go thru the messy process of kicking him out, or spend the next 2 years wasting endless time and resources trying to defend having a pedophile in their party.

They were fucked either way, but winning the seat would have ended up hurting them more in the long run. Jones is going to end up being the Scott Brown of Alabama anyway, ie serve 2 years and never be heard from again.

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
Pretty much. White Alabamians voted for Roy Moore. Not "white people".

This. Please keep the discussion around the relevant demographic.Not a global generalisation.

It's not a "white people" thing. It's a racist, sexist, selfish asshole, etcetc thing. It just so happens that in this case many of the people voting for moore were white... that doesn't mean white people elsewhere would automatically do the same.

This is also the deep, deep south. I'm honestly shocked (and glad) moore lost. Progress is a long windy road.

Also, this. Perhaps the more positive talking point is the bolded.

Mohonky

Do white people hate black people more than they do pedophiles?

eGcoKDO.gif
You might be surprised to find that most probably didnt vote Moore on the basis of 'because fuck blacks' but because of deeply seeded religious beliefs, misguided beliefs that for whatever reason Republicans will bring jobs and shit like 'mah guns!!'

Of course some also likely voted Republicans because they hate blacks and minorities, but assuming all votes for Republicans come back to hating blacks and other minorities is more than a little ignorant.

Battlechili

Banned
Wait. Alabama of all states wound up voting blue? That's kinda cool. I haven't been keeping up with this as much as I should have, but that's a pleasant surprise.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Considering his political stances, I wouldn't count his apparent preference for teenage girls to be the biggest problem with him. But well, pro-gun nationalist neoliberal racist religious nutjobs vote for pro-gun nationalist neoliberal racist religious nutjobs, except if that person's racism is directed at them. It is hardly "a case against white people", but more of "a case against round about half the US population".

Boss Mog

Why do black people still buy and listen to R. Kelly when he's a pedophile and preys on girls to make them join his sex cult?

Why do black people still watch the Cosby Show when Bill Cosby is one of the worst serial rapists in US history, way worse than Weinstein and other Hollywood people? He literally drugged at least 50 women and then raped them. He is absolute scum, yet people seem to have given him a free pass and forgotten all about it.

I obviously despise Roy Moore and am glad he lost and it's sad that so many white people voted for him. That being said it's the south and the state of Alabama is very strongly Republican and so most people just voted for the Republican candidate. It's a shame that people don't judge the character of a candidate and just vote their party, but it's just the way it is in this shitty world right now, because of all the identity politics.

What I have a problem with though, is people like you that use something like this to paint white people with a broad brush. Do you like it when somebody paints black people with a broad brush? It's never really flattering for black people either when it happens.

quickwhips

Boss★Moogle;253112212 said:
Why do black people still buy and listen to R. Kelly when he's a pedophile and preys on girls to make them join his sex cult?

Why do black people still watch the Cosby Show when Bill Cosby is one of the worst serial rapists in US history, way worse than Weinstein and other Hollywood people? He literally drugged at least 50 women and then raped them. He is absolute scum, yet people seem to have given him a free pass and forgotten all about it.

I obviously despise Roy Moore and am glad he lost and it's sad that so many white people voted for him. That being said it's the south and the state of Alabama is very strongly Republican and so most people just voted for the Republican candidate. It's a shame that people don't judge the character of a candidate and just vote their party, but it's just the way it is in this shitty world right now, because of all the identity politics.

What I have a problem with though, is people like you that use something like this to paint white people with a broad brush. Do you like it when somebody paints black people with a broad brush? It's never really flattering for black people either when it happens.
A lot of other people worked in the Cosby show who aren’t bad people. Cutting the center of the cake out is still funny as shit to me. Why does everything have to be bad because one person or of 1000 was involved. I mean shit 4% of black people voted for him. And some white people didn’t who cares. This is why I sorta hated what gaf was becoming. Even when good shit happens people call others names and they kee looking at the bad instead of all the good. Can’t we be happy instead of saying shit like get fucked?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Ah, another troll thread. Business as usual for Rastamentality.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

DQ5nw4QXcAAFeqF.jpg

eGcoKDO.gif

If only 2 % less white Alabamians had voted for the democrat you would have had a bad time. So thank god for THEM. Or just stop with that racist attitude.

judhudson

Being that I live in this state (but thankfully a progressive city that voted for Doug Jones), its easy to spot why. Alabama is still full of old, religious people. Religion (Christianity) is DEEP here in Alabama, with a church on every corner. It seems that its mostly the old folks that voted for Moore, thus keeping him afloat. In many backwoods / country areas, Moore took the vote. In the populated cities with the younger crowd, Jones took it.

Honestly, I feel it is more of an age thing then anything. Once the younger crowd takes over - whom are more progressive on their thoughts and views, Republicans will have a much harder time getting voted in unless they change their ways.

appaws

Banned
The left has concentrated for years on identity politics since the old left "working-class" proletarian model of statism lost its luster.

So now all groups besides white men and married white women block vote overwhelmingly Democratic....and presumably you find that to be OK.....?

But it is SHOCKING! Wow, just Wow, when whites vote as (somewhat less than minority groups) of a block for their own (perceived or real) interests?

The left has concentrated for years on identity politics since the old left "working-class" proletarian model of statism lost its luster.

So now all groups besides white men and married white women block vote overwhelmingly Democratic....and presumably you find that to be OK.....?

But it is SHOCKING! Wow, just Wow, when whites vote as (somewhat less than minority groups) of a block for their own (perceived or real) interests?

This is a terrible post that ignores reality for "reality".

Do white people hate black people more than they do pedophiles?

Stop with this racist mentality. You do this very often in your threads, which is why most get locked.

I cant tell if you enjoy walking the line of racism against whites or just like trolling

And before you quote-post that youre not racist, which is hard to believe because its the main theme of your posts/threads, then stop acting so ignorant and naive because it makes you appear very racist and immature

Stop with this racist mentality. You do this very often in your threads, which is why most get locked.

I cant tell if you enjoy walking the line of racism against whites or just like trolling.

All the above. He'll walk on both sides to cause arguments, division, over-reaction and general chaos. A troll.

BANGS

Banned
I cant tell if you enjoy walking the line of racism against whites or just like trolling

To be honest, it's incredibly obvious he's trolling. It always is, but this topic in particular just screams bait. But to be incredibly fair, why should he stop when you all are so damn easy to troll? Who even tries to have a debate and reason with a person like this? I get that this board has gotten slower recently, but there's no reason to feed that garbage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom