• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Noire New Gameplay Footage taken from Tribeca Film Festival

Fjordson

keyrat said:
Is this the same video that was in the OP before it was pulled?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADgARzFz2mA
Yep. Though I think it's been cut down. If I remember correctly, the one in the OP extended to when Phelps and his partner arrive at the scene. Also showed them talking to a few reporters and another cop there.

Now that I'm watching this again, it seems to pretty much confirm no in-game radio (not that I totally expected it). The music that's there sounds really good, though.

I realize this game's tech is super-impressive, but sometimes the faces just make me burst into laughter:

209.jpg

Dibbz

Jesus what is up with the lighting? Characters walk around with lamps attached to their faces or something?

Fjordson

Well, it's probably sort of like an awkwardly timed photograph. This game definitely benefits from being in motion.

jett said:
I think this game is mostly butt-ugly. Its only saving grace is the facial animation.

if it can look anything close to GTAIV at night in Algonquin, i will be very happy with it.

this is an open-world game after all, it can't look as good as linear games (on consoles at least). takes a lot of processing power to render traffic, massive draw distance etc...

jonnyp

Dibbz said:
Jesus what is up with the lighting? Characters walk around with lamps attached to their faces or something?

Well it's the downside of the technology they're using, which David Cage criticized and got blasted for.

I don't agree with people that say it looks ugly though, it's a nice looking game IMO.

Angry Fork

GuessWho said:
so is this game anything like GTA4 or RDR? I hope not.
Combat will likely be similar, but the storyline progression/sandbox elements will probably be more similar to Mafia 2 (but with more side stuff to do).

Zertez

Is this game going to be free roaming open world like other Rockstar games, or more linear and constricted? When you say it is in more in line with Mafia 2, that worries me some.

GuessWho said:
so is this game anything like GTA4 or RDR? I hope not.

Kinda, driving and shooting will probably be similar, but it's a lot slower-paced and more methodical. Driving and shooting will be a lot less than the previous games, and interrogations and investigations will be the main focus.

Angry Fork

Zertez said:
Is this game going to be free roaming open world like other Rockstar games, or more linear and constricted? When you say it is in more in line with Mafia 2, that worries me some.
I don't know exact details as they haven't explained much but from the gist of general info and stuff I'd assume it has a main linear storyline like Mafia 2, but you can also do side stuff like solve other crimes that have nothing to do with the main storyline. There's probably no "seasonal" changes the way there were in Mafia 2 where the world changes based on the linear progression of the story.

You can probably roam the sandbox world in LA Noire to your hearts desire while also solving side cases without touching the main storyline for a while. When you're on the main storyline case you don't HAVE to do the next case immediately after you can just go around and drive and stuff. I don't know how much extra secondary stuff they have though other than just more cases.

I loved Mafia 2 though but where LA Noire differs is that the world is significantly larger and the main story is also 2-3 times as long, which can make up for the lack of secondary stuff to do that you normally would in a GTA game.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Why do I have the feeling it's gonna be inferior than anything else Rockstar has ever produced? I mean, not that it's gonna be bad but I'm not getting that hype.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game looks hideous. Who cares if the eyes move realistically when it looks like the faces are made of poodong and the lips flap like the wind is blowing through their heads? I just don't get it.

Fjordson

^Awesome, thanks for that! Love all the artwork they've done for L.A. Noire.

Can't believe we're just over seven days out. I need this game now.

RankoSD

Y2Kev said:
This game looks hideous. Who cares if the eyes move realistically when it looks like the faces are made of poodong and the lips flap like the wind is blowing through their heads? I just don't get it.
This game isn't about graphics, it's about animation which plays the biggest part in interrogation, you won't need to search their faces for moles or pimples, you need to see their reaction to your questions, and based on them find out if they're lying or keeping a secret.

This game just needs to be in motion in order to look good.

RankoSD said:
This game isn't about graphics, it's about animation which plays the biggest part in interrogation, you won't need to search their faces for moles or pimples, you need to see their reaction to your questions, and based on them find out if they're lying or keeping a secret.

Yeah I can't say I care about the visuals much either, I'm itching to dive into the story and investigative aspects.

I mean, the visuals aren't cutting edge or anything, but they aren't bad either. They're pretty good, but don't compare to top-level stuff coming out these days. Considering th focus is mainly on the tech and the investigative aspects, I'm not complaining.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
jett said:
I think this game is mostly butt-ugly. Its only saving grace is the facial animation.

Yeah, it look really bad,maybe they should have ported it to Rage engine or something.

RankoSD said:

GTA4 had some of the worst character animations I've ever seen. LA Noire looks bad apart from the faces I agree completely. But open world!!!! Err RDR looked great last time I checked.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
I am really hoping this game is good, I have been hyped for awhile.. ( I doubt R* would push it so hard and put there logo all over it if they didn't believe it was a great game)

does anyone know when the OT is going up?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
JetBlackPanda said:
( I doubt R* would push it so hard and put there logo all over it if they didn't believe it was a great game)

But if they indeed have full faith in the game they should keep Team Bondi logo on the cover, since the game will sell itself and will not need mislead people by only putting Rockstar logo there.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Totobeni said:
But if they indeed have full faith in the game they should keep Team Bondi logo on the cover, since the game will sell itself and will not need mislead people by only putting Rockstar logo there.

Man, people really need to let this go. Rockstar put up the money, they can do what they want. If the game is good, people will then remember "Team Bondi." Right now, it is a non seller to people. No one cares about "Team Bondi." If the game sucks, Rockstar takes the hit, but they can recover from it. "Team Bondi" would not be able to.

It'll say "Team Bondi" when you start up the game. No worries.

TheExodu5

Banned
I like the idea of the game, but what worries me is length: I keep hearing 30+ hours. That screams filler to me. All the filler is essentially what turned me off of GTA IV and RDR. I don't mind having lots of sidequests...but when the filler starts comprising 75% of the main story quests, I start feeling bitter about the whole thing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I realize this game's tech is super-impressive, but sometimes the faces just make me burst into laughter:
What was the Family Guy episode where he had the campaign manager that made him scream every time he saw him? Looks just like him.

I dunno about this game. On the one hand, the VA and audio sounds great, like something out of a movie, and the cutscene animations are very well done, at least as far as the overall movement, but the actual look of the characters and their faces while talking do not seem as great as people are saying. Add in the fact that I really don't like this time period at all for a setting and it's all falling a bit flat.

I'm wondering how this is going to do, sales-wise. Could be the next RDR but somehow I doubt it.

jacket320

Dr. Zoidberg said:
(snip) Add in the fact that I really don't like this time period at all for a setting (snip)

Just wondering why you don't like the time period? Where would your ideal setting be?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Dr. Zoidberg said:
I'm wondering how this is going to do, sales-wise. Could be the next RDR but somehow I doubt it.

I think Rockstar logo will sell this game even if it ended to be complete crap, Rockstar brand power these days is almost like Nintendo or something, I bet Take 2 wish they can slap that delicious yellow logo that print money on everything.

Blackface

Banned
Lazlow was on O and A. Talking about how they licensed actual radio from the period.

He said there was so much that was so fucking racist he could not come close to putting it in the game.

He also talked a bit of shit about Mass Effect.

Top Bottom