• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Worth noting: the starwars.com article refers to "director Ron Howard," and Disney has turned Howard into the face of the film, indicating they plan to remove (or at least try to remove) Lord and Miller's directing credit. Might be looking at a rough DGA battle.

Lucasfilm getting in trouble with the DGA over Star Wars is nothing new.

Bishop89

PVRF_o.gif

I predict episode 8 to be great, though atm in not very excited. I thought TFA was decent and loved Rogue One.

This will be the movie that will start the 'fatigue' of star wars imho. We already have 3 movies featuring a young Han Solo, and given the stories surrounding this one I'm not optimistic. Abrams returning for episode 9 also has me worried about that movie too.

In for whenever we get more Obi Wan movies. Also definitely in when Disney decides to allow directors to try and tell unique stories with distinct style in this universe (though it will be years off).

Davide

They got themselves into this Star Wars story mess by not including the episode number in the title for TFA posters and marketing.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Every time I get excited for this movie I remember it's starring Alden Ehrenreich

I like Alden! He's a weird choice though, at least on paper. I would've expected them to go a little younger. Can't wait to see see footage of his performance.

Nev

Banned
This is one of the few times that I've found myself rooting for a movie to bomb.

Like I really want this cashgrab garbage to crash and burn.

Won't happen unfortunately in a world where focus tested soulless corporate frankenstein non-movie merchandise-vehicle trash like Rogue One sets the BO on fire.

Davide

Like I really want this cashgrab garbage to crash and burn.
How do you know it's just a cash grab?

Lawrence Kasdan is writing this. There hasn't even been a trailer.

Won't happen unfortunately in a world where focus tested soulless corporate frankenstein non-movie merchandise-vehicle trash like Rogue One sets the BO on fire.
This is baseless bs considering how boring the toys for Rogue One were.

This was a movie made to sell toys? Really? In a series with characters like Darth Maul and four lightsabers General Grievous?

rogue-one-star-wars.jpeg

Nev

Banned
This was a movie made to sell toys? Really?

It doesn't necessarily have to sell Rogue One toys. Just be a 'hey remember to get your Star Wars merchandise this christmas!' and grab a few undeserved million dollars because of name alone at the box office while at it.

The 'funny' robot was a merchandise character though.

How do you know it's just a cash grab?

You know it too.

error4041

Calling it now, Solo won't be his real last name, but when he's finishing the Kessal run in less than 12 par-secs and coming into port, some dude in charge of docking will ask for a identifier and he'll pause for a second and then say "Solo" all while Chewie and Lando are giving him death glares from across the room.

Davide

It doesn't necessarily have to sell Rogue One toys. Just be a 'hey remember to get your Star Wars merchandise this christmas!'

The 'funny' robot was a merchandise character though.

Couldn't have gone much worse than Rogue One in that case. I love the movie but those are some of the most boring character designs in the series. There weren't even any Jedi characters in the film. None of these characters except for Darth Vader even had lightsabers. The toys at the Disney Store sold horribly, people wouldn't even buy them here for $3.

I don't see any more evidence for this than for R2-D2, C-3PO, BB-8, super battle droids, or a lot of other characters.

You know it too.
No. And if Rogue One was just a toy cash grab I can't imagine any possible Star Wars movie that wouldn't be for you.

Blader

Solo predates all of the other new Star Wars movies, was entirely Lawrence Kasdan's idea, and it getting the greenlight was a condition for getting him involved in TFA in the first place.

If this movie is purely a cash grab, then they've gone about it in a very backwards way.

Terrorblot

This movie sure seems troubled, but for all we know it could still turn out alright. I don't take any great offense to any of the casting decisions and all things aside I'm still looking forward to seeing Glover as Lando and Ron Howard isn't a terrible director by any measure, altho gosh, sure seems like not enough time to fix. I actually like the logo.

It very likely will be the worst since Revenge of the Sith tho

I think if there was a list of "worst titles for a big budget movie", this would certainly get high on it. Like, up there with Leonard Part 6 and John Carter.

CloudWolf

Alden Ehrenreich, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover, Woody Harrelson and Thandie Newton? Come on, others wish they had half that cast.
Emilia Clarke is a terrible actress, the rest is okay (though I don't know anything Ehrenreich did outside of Hail Caesar!), but I think it might be a stretch to say that "others wish they had half that cast". These aren't exactly the most sought after stars or the best of the best in Hollywood.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think Scruffy Nerf Herder: A Star Wars Story would have been a better name by and far.

Top Bottom