• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

backslashbunny
(10-09-2017, 04:11 AM)

Originally Posted by hirokazu

I put Kewpie mayo on my pizza when I make pizza. I suspect I'm about to be lampooned. >_>

Full disclosure: I also enjoy pineapple on pizza.

I LOVE pineapple on pizza!

I will continue to do so, despite my husband's repeated threats of divorce haha.
Izuna
(10-09-2017, 04:13 AM)

Originally Posted by backslashbunny

I LOVE pineapple on pizza!

edit: i don't know if i wanna be the kitty in this gif or not
Last edited by Izuna; 10-09-2017 at 04:20 AM.
Moonkid
(10-09-2017, 04:28 AM)
I tolerate kewwpie only because I grew up with it in certain foods like side salads or tuna.

I'm sorry to say, but that's sounds below average LOL.

Below Asian average maybe :'(
backslashbunny
(10-09-2017, 04:33 AM)
I have a serious question-

How do you confront casual racism in your friends? Or casual sexism?

I don't really know how to do it. Or if I should bother, because I don't think it's going to do anything.

I bet if I was a neurosurgeon from Harvard, they'd listen, but I'm just an ordinary person. What can I do?
SystemBug
(10-09-2017, 04:46 AM)

I don't really know how to do it. Or if I should bother, because I don't think it's going to do anything.

I bet if I was a neurosurgeon from Harvard, they'd listen, but I'm just an ordinary person. What can I do?

imo you just have to be upfront about it sometimes. whats the situation like? sometimes you just have to read the room.
Izuna
(10-09-2017, 05:02 AM)

Give them this look:

Like, if it's a shitty joke or they think something racist is funny, check if they're sincere and watch them backtrack while they get annoyed. They'll get the picture eventually.
BLOODED_hands
(10-09-2017, 05:05 AM)
I try and point out how their views are wrong, and it's hit or miss. They "believe" that their views are wrong, but their anecdotes prove their views are right.

I don't try anymore and just leave them be to their shittiness. If they get in trouble for it..... Don't say I didn't warn them.
Moonkid
(10-09-2017, 05:16 AM)

Depends. I find that being straight up and adamant sometimes works but some people take it personally. It's tricky, especially if it's not as simple as someone using terms like autistic as a pejorative.
Ashhong
(10-09-2017, 05:21 AM)
Yea that really depends on the situation and your relationship with your friends. My friends and I joke that something they said was "racist" so often that I would probably have to sit them down and do a serious talk if I wanted to actually send a message
wandering
(10-09-2017, 06:03 AM)
I have the reputation of being the “SJW” of my friend group (although we’re all pretty progressive anyway) so they don’t really try any shit around me. When something happens I just give a meaningful look or say “not cool.” I established pretty early on I had no patience for that kind of stuff.
Last edited by wandering; 10-09-2017 at 06:05 AM.
Septimus Prime
(10-09-2017, 10:02 PM)
So there's this new place called Red Rock in Torrance. You need to go there if you're nearby.
backslashbunny
(10-09-2017, 11:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Septimus Prime

So there's this new place called Red Rock in Torrance. You need to go there if you're nearby.

Remind me in two weeks.
Cybit
FGC Waterboy
(10-10-2017, 04:24 AM)

Originally Posted by wandering

I have the reputation of being the “SJW” of my friend group (although we’re all pretty progressive anyway) so they don’t really try any shit around me. When something happens I just give a meaningful look or say “not cool.” I established pretty early on I had no patience for that kind of stuff.

Sigh...don't get me started on SJWs....

I mean, seriously, what the fuck is wrong with people? You can't have a whole group of warriors. You need wizards and rogues for the DPS, and for fuck's sake you need clerics. Everyone wonders why it never works...they never balance the party! (I'm totally a social justice cleric).
Ashhong
(10-10-2017, 04:52 AM)

Have you guys tried Musha? Their cheese risotto is to DIE for
Septimus Prime
(10-10-2017, 05:07 AM)

Originally Posted by Ashhong

Have you guys tried Musha? Their cheese risotto is to DIE for

Yes, but I don't think I had the risotto. Now I wish I did.
Tripon
(10-10-2017, 05:11 AM)
I'll have to try Red Rock when I'm in Torrance next time. Lived there for about a decade, and my parents has a house about a block away from where this restaurant is.

Edit: Also been to Musha, Musha is a fantastic izakaya. If you are in the mood for Korean BBQ in Torrance, try Bull's BBQ. The cheapest option is like $15 and it has the best meat I eaten at a KBBQ.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/bull-bbq-gardena
Last edited by Tripon; 10-10-2017 at 05:14 AM.
Ashhong
(10-10-2017, 05:21 AM)

Yes, but I don't think I had the risotto. Now I wish I did.

They bring it out in a block of cheese and mix it up and serve it to you straight from the cheese. I could eat like just 3 orders of that and I'd be happy. It's so damn good

Originally Posted by Tripon

I'll have to try Red Rock when I'm in Torrance next time. Lived there for about a decade, and my parents has a house about a block away from where this restaurant is.

Edit: Also been to Musha, Musha is a fantastic izakaya. If you are in the mood for Korean BBQ in Torrance, try Bull's BBQ. The cheapest option is like $15 and it has the best meat I eaten at a KBBQ.

The best meat? I haven't gone but I can't imagine it's better than like Park's BBQ, or even Kang Ho Dong. For AYCE though I'll give it a shot!
Tripon
(10-10-2017, 05:25 AM)

Originally Posted by Ashhong

The best meat? I haven't gone but I can't imagine it's better than like Park's BBQ, or even Kang Ho Dong. For AYCE though I'll give it a shot!

Probably, I'm a cheap date, don't usually do Korean unless it's BCD's or AYCE.
Septimus Prime
(10-10-2017, 05:28 AM)
I like Oo Kook for KBBQ. Kang Ho Dong is not worth its price.

But don't sleep on Junkabok in Diamond Bar! They have the best ribs.
backslashbunny
(10-10-2017, 05:48 AM)

Originally Posted by Tripon

*drools
StMeph
(10-10-2017, 06:24 AM)
This sounds/smells/looks/tastes like a GAF Korean barbecue meetup.
Cybit
FGC Waterboy
(10-10-2017, 06:54 AM)

Originally Posted by StMeph

I see how it is, keeping us vegetarians away!!!
Septimus Prime
(10-10-2017, 07:00 AM)

Originally Posted by Cybit

I see how it is, keeping us vegetarians away!!!

We can grill up some mushrooms and veggies for you.
Izuna
(10-10-2017, 09:00 AM)

Originally Posted by StMeph

Can it be over the holidays? XD
Cybit
FGC Waterboy
(10-10-2017, 08:26 PM)

We can grill up some mushrooms and veggies for you.

We really need to do a Seattle Asian GAF meetup. I know myself and cdyhybrid live here, I'm sure there are others I am forgetting off the top of my head.
SRG01
(10-11-2017, 04:12 AM)

We really need to do a Seattle Asian GAF meetup. I know myself and cdyhybrid live here, I'm sure there are others I am forgetting off the top of my head.

Ugh, I'm nowhere near any of you :(
wandering
(10-11-2017, 04:20 AM)

Oh hey, I'm also a Seattleite.

But I'm also an asocial hermit.
dramatis
(10-12-2017, 12:08 AM)
Featuring Asian GAF's favorite thing

Smithsonian Night Market Celebrates The Art Of Asian Cuisine

If egg rolls and sushi immediately leap to mind when you think of "Asian food," Simone Jacobson would like to help you think outside the take-out box. As food curator of the Smithsonian Institution's IlluminAsia festival in Washington, D.C., featuring an Asian-style night market, she used geography as her guide to finding food that could represent the vastness of the culture.

Or, as Jacobson emphasizes, cultures. "It's really important that we broaden the definition [of Asia]," she says. "All these different regions show the great diversity in Asian food, so it's really 'cultures,' in plural."

It just so happens that the Washington, D.C., suburbs include a community of Uighurs from central Asia, and several restaurants have sprung up there in recent years. It's a cuisine known for its use of ingredients like mutton, dried fruits and root vegetables, all of which are typically found in Uighur polow, a classic rice pilaf dish incorporating lamb, carrots and onion with raisins, pomegranate and spices. It's one of many cuisines that will be highlighted at the IlluminAsia street food market on Oct. 14 and 15 on the National Mall, along with Pan-Asian bao buns, Tibetan momos, and Sri Lankan rotis.

Following a nearly two-year renovation of the Smithsonian's Asian art museums — the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery and the Freer Gallery of Art —director Julian Raby wanted to highlight the culture of food in the grand reopening event.

Septimus Prime
(10-12-2017, 02:00 AM)

Originally Posted by dramatis

Featuring Asian GAF's favorite thing

Smithsonian Night Market Celebrates The Art Of Asian Cuisine

Around here, we have night market events every couple of months (626 Night Market, OC Night Market, SGV Night Market, etc.). It actually feels like they happen even more often than that because they are all relatively nearby, so it wouldn't be a problem to go to one that isn't in your immediate area.

The emphasis, of course, is not on historical or culturally accurate foods, though; it's more like an Asian-centric fair.
Zoe
(10-12-2017, 02:04 AM)
Wish we had decent night market events around here. Last one was a disaster.
Septimus Prime
(10-12-2017, 02:07 AM)

Originally Posted by Zoe

Wish we had decent night market events around here. Last one was a disaster.

If it's any consolation, the first 626 Night Market was a huge clusterfuck. I had to park several blocks away, and it was so crowded that it took an hour just to walk through it, without even buying anything. The next year, they fixed it up, and it was amazing—but I think they spent too much money, and the next ones following that were lame again. Now they're consistently pretty good, but they also now charge admission.
claviertekky
(10-12-2017, 02:15 AM)
Eh, not the biggest night market fan (in Asia) as those places tend to be more unsanitary than a small food shop.

No water (to wash hands).

Everything is dark, so you can barely see what you're buying.
Septimus Prime
(10-13-2017, 01:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Blackhead

Cyberpunk Cities Fetishize Asian Culture But Have No Asians

They're catching some flack for being sexist, too.
Lone_Prodigy
(10-13-2017, 01:59 AM)
Heh, I was just thinking that even the cast is pretty much all white except for one black guy in a minor role.
Moonkid
(10-13-2017, 02:09 PM)
Good points in that article, but another piece linked up on that website about Blade Runner 2049 not being the film Villeneuve wanted to make is trash. Solid observations ruined by a nonsensical thesis.
piggychan
(10-13-2017, 11:44 PM)

I put Kewpie mayo on my pizza when I make pizza. I suspect I'm about to be lampooned. >_>

Full disclosure: I also enjoy pineapple on pizza.

if I have it I put it on my home made Tako/Ebi yaki's

wandering
(10-14-2017, 08:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Blackhead

Cyberpunk Cities Fetishize Asian Culture But Have No Asians

Saw someone try to argue that there weren't Asians because it was set in LA.

No Asians

In LA
Moonkid
(10-14-2017, 09:33 AM)
Mmmm that looks delicious piggy.

No Asians

In LA

I mean, that doesn't even make sense in the context of the film.
Timbuktu
(10-14-2017, 11:15 AM)

No Asians

In LA

The original did have some a memorable Asian side character and Asians do appear in the background. 2049 is worst in this regard, I don't really recall any PoC at all. And taken out of the context of the original film, the Japanese, Chinese and random Korean characters feel more like mere decorations.
Moonkid
(10-14-2017, 11:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Timbuktu

The original did have some a memorable Asian side character and Asians do appear in the background. 2049 is worst in this regard, I don't really recall any PoC at all. And taken out of the context of the original film, the Japanese, Chinese and random Korean characters feel more like mere decorations.

Eh? I get that the PoC characters may not be particularly memorable, especially because they only appear in their respective scenes, but straight up not remembering them is bizarre. There's the orphanage scene, the scene where they get the wooden unicorn examined, and the scene where they examine the bones with a black police officer giving exposition.
backslashbunny
(10-14-2017, 11:23 PM)

No Asians

In LA

It's California. We're incredibly segregated. There are places that go from 80% Asian to 90% white, within blocks. There's a lot of white people here who have never interacted with nonwhites-- never had boba, never had sushi, never had pho.
BLOODED_hands
(10-15-2017, 04:54 AM)
Huh..... The Edge of Seventeen is now on Showtime. Going to need to watch it soon.
claviertekky
(10-17-2017, 02:29 AM)
http://aapidata.com/blog/

For people interested in data crunching numbers on Asian Americans.
Izuna
(10-18-2017, 05:40 PM)
https://youtu.be/-YtClOp6Q3g

This was cool af

No clue what culture it is though.