• Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

phanphare
(10-12-2017, 06:43 PM)
Lebron "I'm low on the totem pole" James
Chase17
(10-12-2017, 06:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Lazy vs Crazy

Tony Allen is having his number retired.

Unbelievable.

Grit and Grind.
plus
(10-12-2017, 06:50 PM)
looks like Conley, Zbo, Shane Battier, and the Gasol bros are next
ViciousDS
(10-12-2017, 08:09 PM)

Unbelievable.

im still trying to figure out why

shit Zach Randolph would have been a better pick lol

edit: omg Zbo's numbered has already been future retired

I AM DYING!!!
Last edited by ViciousDS; 10-12-2017 at 08:13 PM.
mjp2417
(10-12-2017, 08:19 PM)

Originally Posted by ViciousDS

im still trying to figure out why

shit Zach Randolph would have been a better pick lol

edit: omg Zbo's numbered has already been future retired

I AM DYING!!!

It shouldn't be particularly surprising. It was a team, and a city for that matter, without any professional sports identity until Conley/Gasol/Zbo/Allen. Having jerseys hanging in the rafters matters to building a sense of history.
jmizzal
(10-12-2017, 08:24 PM)

Unbelievable.

I don't get it why do it before he retires, he wasnt that great didnt lead them to a title.

I mean he's the kinda guy you prob retire jersey 5 years after they left the game if you just have to retire his jersey lol
Jarate
(10-12-2017, 08:26 PM)
Luka Doncic scored 27 points in 27 minutes on 14 shots for Real Madrid.

Holy shit
mjp2417
(10-12-2017, 08:28 PM)

Originally Posted by jmizzal

I don't get it why do it before he retires, he wasnt that great didnt lead them to a title.

I mean he's the kinda guy you prob retire jersey 5 years after they left the game if you just have to retire his jersey lol

Probably to please the fanbase. They just let Tony and ZBo walk while they are still paying Chandler Parsons almost 100 million which I would imagine isn't the most popular thing locally.
Bread
Whole Wheat
(10-12-2017, 08:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Jarate

Luka Doncic scored 27 points in 27 minutes on 14 shots for Real Madrid.

Holy shit

sixers started their process a year too early

RIP
Jarate
(10-12-2017, 08:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Bread

sixers started their process a year too early

RIP

"Top 1 protected pick"
bionic77
Please, don't ask ME about Michael Jordan!
(10-12-2017, 08:44 PM)

Originally Posted by jmizzal

It will sell tickets for one at least one night and give the fans something to be excited about.

It is kind of weird to me that any fan base would be excited or pay money to see that but I will have to assume that the guy is beloved over there.
Bread
Whole Wheat
(10-12-2017, 08:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Jarate

"Top 1 protected pick"

i wonder if he goes 1st, should be an interesting college season for freshman.
Boss X
(10-12-2017, 09:24 PM)
Theres countless jersey numbers retired hanging in the dusty rafters that people don’t even know about.
Chase17
(10-12-2017, 09:28 PM)
When does Olynyk get his jersey retired?
henhowc
(10-12-2017, 09:31 PM)
lonzo practiced...what a scrub. AI wouldn't approve.
Tom Penny
(10-12-2017, 09:49 PM)

Originally Posted by bionic77

It will sell tickets for one at least one night and give the fans something to be excited about.

It is kind of weird to me that any fan base would be excited or pay money to see that but I will have to assume that the guy is beloved over there.

Are you lost how did you wind up here?
Ninja Scooter
bow down to the
Kings in Raider hats
(10-12-2017, 09:50 PM)
Retiring Tony Allen's number is a desperate ass move. Way to embrace being a C tier franchise.
Tom Penny
(10-12-2017, 09:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Ninja Scooter

Retiring Tony Allen's number is a desperate ass move. Way to embrace being a C tier franchise.

How do you feel about the Heat retiring franchise players like MJ and Marino?
mjp2417
(10-12-2017, 10:11 PM)

Except the two most successful franchises in the history of American sports are also the two most liberal when it comes to retiring numbers. I mean, Jorge Posada and Satch Sanders are not exactly HOF types. Sanders' career actually maps fairly closely onto Allen's in a lot of ways except for ringz.
Ninja Scooter
bow down to the
Kings in Raider hats
(10-12-2017, 10:18 PM)

Originally Posted by mjp2417

Except the two most successful franchises in the history of American sports are also the two most liberal when it comes to retiring numbers. I mean, Jorge Posada and Satch Sanders are not exactly HOF types. Sanders' career actually maps fairly closely onto Allen's in a lot of ways except for ringz.

It would be like the Lakers retiring Derek Fisher or Rick Fox. I don't know, but I like reserving that honor for HoF type players. It cheapens it otherwise.
Bread
Whole Wheat
(10-12-2017, 10:22 PM)

It would be like the Lakers retiring Derek Fisher or Rick Fox. I don't know, but I like reserving that honor for HoF type players. It cheapens it otherwise.

The Memphis Grizzlies have no history, I’m fine with them giving one of the most important players from their best years so far a lot of recognition. For almost every other team I’d disagree with the decision.
mjp2417
(10-12-2017, 10:25 PM)

Lakers are pretty exclusive with that stuff. It's just different philosophies, but I don't think it's a mark of shame for Memphis or anything. It's not like retiring Shareef Abdur-Rahim's number because he put up 20 ppg a couple times on some shitty teams.
True Savior
(10-12-2017, 10:27 PM)
Doncic will be a Bulls player next year. They are collecting white men who can shoot.
bionic77
(10-12-2017, 11:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Tom Penny

Are you lost how did you wind up here?

I am apparently a bully so I left NFL age so BG can feel safe.

I am back where I started!
bionic77
(10-12-2017, 11:08 PM)

On one hand it is kind of cool having scrubs in the rafters.

That way some young kid will glance up there in 10 years and be like who the fuck is Tony Allen?
jdstorm
(10-12-2017, 11:38 PM)

Hey man... i loved Derrick Fisher as a kid. I would use him in NBA Live over Kobe. Starters who aren't HoF types who have been significant over a long period of time deserve some recognition.
Sanjuro
Inside Man
(10-12-2017, 11:42 PM)
Why isn't Antoine Walker retired?
Tall4Life
(10-12-2017, 11:43 PM)
Antoine's been retired since 2012.
Lazy vs Crazy
(10-12-2017, 11:55 PM)

Originally Posted by mjp2417

Sanders is in the HoF though.
Tall4Life
(10-12-2017, 11:58 PM)

Sanders is in the HoF though.

for being a contributor and starting many league programs, not as a player
Servbot24
Uncharted 4 is years ahead of its time when it comes to storytelling in the way it communicates a feeling of unease through bad pacing
(10-13-2017, 12:12 AM)
Is there a GAF fantasy league this year?
Tom Penny

Originally Posted by Sanjuro

Why isn't Antoine Walker retired?

Dunno. He pioneered the 3 point shot analytics

Reporter: "Why do you shoot so many 3's?" -- Walker: "Because there are no 4's."
bionic77

Originally Posted by jdstorm

Hey man... i loved Derrick Fisher as a kid. I would use him in NBA Live over Kobe. Starters who aren't HoF types who have been significant over a long period of time deserve some recognition.

Fish was awesome during that 15-1 run in the playoffs. After that he was kind of a horrible defender and streaky shooter who was kind of a drag on the team. If he is not making those 3s he was kind of useless.

Any quick PG (starting with Parker) would cook the shit out of him. Somehow the refs let him thug Tony up back when you could intimidate him.
Jarate
(10-13-2017, 12:14 AM)
I'm just making sure all ya'll trust the process
Emwitus
car flags....
car flags everywhere
(10-13-2017, 12:16 AM)

Some teams actually recognize hard work and dedication?...like any regular job would. Why is that desperate? Not everyone has to do things like the lakers
Ninja Scooter
bow down to the
Kings in Raider hats
(10-13-2017, 12:18 AM)

Originally Posted by Emwitus

Some teams actually recognize hard work and dedication?...like any regular job would. Why is that desperate? Not everyone has to do things like the lakers

nearly every NBA player works hard. Outside of a few outliers, you don't make the NBA unless you do. That's not an uncommon trait. You might as well applaud him for his "grit" and "heart" next.
Martylepiaf
(10-13-2017, 12:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Bread

i wonder if he goes 1st, should be an interesting college season for freshman.

I would take someone that have proved to be be an excellent player in Euroleague since he was 17 (and the second best player in the Eurobaket gold team) over any kid that just played in highschool and college (unless he is a LeBron type of talent of course)
Last edited by Martylepiaf; 10-13-2017 at 12:22 AM.
jdstorm
(10-13-2017, 12:50 AM)

Fish was awesome during that 15-1 run in the playoffs. After that he was kind of a horrible defender and streaky shooter who was kind of a drag on the team. If he is not making those 3s he was kind of useless.

Any quick PG (starting with Parker) would cook the shit out of him. Somehow the refs let him thug Tony up back when you could intimidate him.

For sure. I'm just saying that some players have sentimental value that goes beyond a HoF skillset for specific teams fans.

Obviously if you are the Lakers you probably have to stick to HoF players so that you don't run out of numbers. However for most other teams having that player who was one of the teams faces for a decade or so is important.
henhowc
(10-13-2017, 01:23 AM)
Tony Allen should be the next nba player to be on dancing with the stars. So far they’ve only had scrubs like Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, and Metta World Peace.
Zukkoyaki
(10-13-2017, 02:00 AM)
Probably should have waited a few years but I see nothing wrong with Memphis retiring Tony Allen's jersey.

He was a vital player and locker room presence that helped turn a team that had never won a playoff series into a perennial second-third round contender, in a brutal conference, and helped instill a strong culture. Also made 3 defensive second teams and 3 defensive first teams while playing for the Grizz. I've seen people with worse resumes get their jerseys retired. He and Zbo are probably the two most admired players in team history by fans.

Though it does feel... Premature.
Last edited by Zukkoyaki; 10-13-2017 at 02:02 AM.
LyleLanley
(10-13-2017, 02:07 AM)
Allen getting his jersey retired feels a bit stupid but that team is also probably going to be irrelevant for a while so why not?
manzoman96
(10-13-2017, 03:14 AM)
Here's everyone's daily dose of process trusting. This video is hilarious.
Randolph Freelander
(10-13-2017, 03:15 AM)
My number is essentially retired league-wide, since no team is using it.
legend166
(10-13-2017, 03:17 AM)

nearly every NBA player works hard. Outside of a few outliers, you don't make the NBA unless you do. That's not an uncommon trait. You might as well applaud him for his "grit" and "heart" next.

Don't forget his grind.
bionic77
(10-13-2017, 03:56 AM)

Originally Posted by legend166

Don't forget his grind.

Grit and heart are stupid and cannot be measured.

Grind is just code for dirty mofo who gets rebounds.

Those guys are priceless on any team and never get any recognition. No one wants to get the rebounds or do the dirty work, but those guys are extremely important on every team.
see5harp
(10-13-2017, 05:04 AM)
They should hang big country’s jersey up there for laughs. Him and stromile.
henhowc
(10-13-2017, 05:07 AM)
Michal Thompson asked Kuzuma if seeing Ben Simmons is like looking in a mirror. Kuzuma said he didn’t see a resemblance other than being light skinned. 😂
Cornbread78
(10-13-2017, 04:09 PM)

Grit and heart are stupid and cannot be measured.

Grind is just code for dirty mofo who gets rebounds.

Those guys are priceless on any team and never get any recognition. No one wants to get the rebounds or do the dirty work, but those guys are extremely important on every team.

Why bang down low when you can just sit pretty on the three point line and pop treys.

I blame Antoine Walker....
bionic77
(10-13-2017, 05:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Cornbread78

Why bang down low when you can just sit pretty on the three point line and pop treys.

I blame Antoine Walker....

Now that I am old that is pretty much how I play the game myself.

Fuck tearing my knee again going for a loose ball or rebound. Let the young destroy their bodies in the paint.

#Toinewasrightallalong
Sanjuro
Inside Man
(10-13-2017, 05:16 PM)
Antoine > Danny > IT