• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

hokahey
(10-01-2016, 10:16 PM)
Cant. Fucking. Wait.
Window
(10-01-2016, 10:52 PM)

Is there a difference between simulated and actual consciousness? Are we pushing our entertainments to be brutal, or are those entertainments pushing us to be?

There's barely any fiction I can think of which addresses the first question with any sort of ambiguity without a preordained answer so it will be interesting to see if this show does anything different. As for the latter, I see similar questions pop up often in reviews but why does no one think that it can be both (or that it's somehow a revelation to consider this)? Feedback is a well known concept. I can't imagine finding an argument for any singular point of view to be satisfactory or interesting. The interesting questions lie in what are the factors which affect this loop and how they change over time. The show may of course explore all of this but the reviews of the early episodes so far are not too promising. Still seems enjoyable enough and probably worth a watch for the production value on display though. Edit: I feel like I'm being overly critical over absolutely nothing. There's definitely potential here.
RatskyWatsky
Hunky Nostradamus
(10-01-2016, 11:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Discotheque

I got expectations of this being a better show than game of thrones. I've enjoyed that series but its not that high a bar to clear on the writing or acting front tbh. Would be disappointed if this ends up worse

This certainly has production values that look almost as great as GOT tho. And a even better cast starting out the gate

Agreed. I would be extremely surprised if it ever came close to Game of Thrones' level in terms of popularity, but it shouldn't be too hard to outclass the quality of it. The on and off screen talent is already better than Game of Thrones'.

Originally Posted by WaffleTaco

Fair point to make, and as long as people find it popular I'll probably watch it.

Hey bro I heard Quarry is really popular you should watch that too. Also, Fleabag and Catastrophe. Halt and Catch Fire is also huge so add that one to your list as well. You're going to miss out on all the water cooler talk if you don't.
Ushay
(10-01-2016, 11:54 PM)

Originally Posted by dc89

It's gonna be good.
I think it airs Tues 4th October on Sky Atlantic for U.K.-GAF

Hell yes, got it on record already! After GoT this feels HBO's next big series.
WaffleTaco
Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
(10-02-2016, 12:19 AM)

Originally Posted by RatskyWatsky

Agreed. I would be extremely surprised if it ever came close to Game of Thrones' level in terms of popularity, but it shouldn't be too hard to outclass the quality of it. The on and off screen talent is already better than Game of Thrones'.

Hey bro I heard Quarry is really popular you should watch that too. Also, Fleabag and Catastrophe. Halt and Catch Fire is also huge so add that one to your list as well. You're going to miss out on all the water cooler talk if you don't.

I read how they came across and edited it, becauses that almost certainly not why I watch tv. also not a bro
RatskyWatsky
Hunky Nostradamus
(10-02-2016, 12:32 AM)

Originally Posted by WaffleTaco

I read how they came across and edited it, becauses that almost certainly not why I watch tv. also not a bro

Oh, well, point still stands! :P
Steelyuhas
(10-02-2016, 08:16 AM)
Really looking forward to this, although I'll be traveling today and don't know if I'll have time to watch the first ep tonight.
RatskyWatsky
Hunky Nostradamus
(10-02-2016, 09:00 AM)
The series premiere is tonight!

The Original

In the premiere of this sci-fi drama set in an Old West theme park where guests interact with automaton "hosts," the park's head of programming is alarmed by subtle changes in some of their main attractions, and a rancher's daughter is reunited with a gunslinger even though her father might not approve. Based on the 1973 feature film directorial debut by Michael Crichton.

WESTWORLD!!!!!!!!
Platy
(10-02-2016, 09:22 AM)
...oh THAT Westworld.

But it looks VERY different
FrenchMovieTheme
I'm waiting for a star to fall
(10-02-2016, 09:31 AM)
hmmm.... i'll watch. not sold on it based on the trailers and brief synopsis but i'll give it a shot!
TimeEffect
(10-02-2016, 09:48 PM)
So is this show the next best thing? Was it any good?
duckroll
(10-02-2016, 09:49 PM)
Finally. It begins... Can't wait.
Dany
Banned
(10-02-2016, 09:50 PM)

Originally Posted by TimeEffect

We don't know until tonight.
Speely
Banned
(10-02-2016, 09:52 PM)
I am REALLY pumped for this. I honestly think it's going to be at least pretty damn good, and it's probable that it will be really good. Tons of potential for some really good storytelling and performances.
El Topo

Originally Posted by TimeEffect

Worse Rotten Tomatoes score than Arrow Season 3.
Aggregators are utterly useless for TV shows.
hydruxo
Oh fuck, this is tonight??? That just made my day
~Kinggi~
Banned
(10-02-2016, 11:35 PM)
I have high hopes for very well made, well acted, interesting TV.
Nobility
Banned
(10-02-2016, 11:52 PM)
https://twitter.com/MichaelEmerson/s...52218646261760

Will Michael Emerson make an apperance...please?
Tohsaka
(10-03-2016, 12:57 AM)
Looking forward to this, I haven't picked up any new shows in a while.
Einchy
semen stains the mountaintops
(10-03-2016, 12:58 AM)
Oh shit, I had no idea this was today. Missed having something to watch on Sundays.
WhiteRabbitEXE
(10-03-2016, 01:10 AM)
So this is the first time I've ever had HBO, so I'm not sure how this works: when will this go up on the HBO app? Same time as broadcast? After? Also, does HBO broadcast simultaneously nationwide or is it per time zone?
More_Badass
(10-03-2016, 01:12 AM)

Originally Posted by WhiteRabbitEXE

So this is the first time I've ever had HBO, so I'm not sure how this works: when will this go up on the HBO app? Same time as broadcast? After? Also, does HBO broadcast simultaneously nationwide or is it per time zone?

HBO Now? The show becomes available just before live broadcast. At least Game of Thrones did.
Speely
Banned
(10-03-2016, 01:12 AM)

Should be the same time as the broadcast, or very near. At least it has been for me with HBO Now.
WhiteRabbitEXE
(10-03-2016, 01:13 AM)

Originally Posted by More_Badass

HBO Now? The show becomes available just before live broadcast. At least Game of Thrones did.

Originally Posted by Speely

Should be the same time as the broadcast, or very near. At least it has been for me with HBO Now.

HBO Go, but I imagine it would be the same, right?
Tranqueris
Banned
(10-03-2016, 01:18 AM)

Originally Posted by hydruxo

Oh fuck, this is tonight??? That just made my day

Just realized this too. I don't know why but this show keeps making me think it's coming out in 2017 for some reason.
PhazonBlazer
(10-03-2016, 01:23 AM)
For some reason I thought this was tomorrow, definitely gonna watch it. Looks like Assassins Creed meets Red Dead.
Beefy
Banned
(10-03-2016, 01:25 AM)
Will spoilers be posted unmarked in here? or will they be marked? Due to it not coming out until Tursday here, I wouldn't want to get spoilered.
Speely
Banned
(10-03-2016, 01:25 AM)

HBO Go, but I imagine it would be the same, right?

Never used it, but the site itself does say that while most programs are available when they broadcast, "some new content might take up to an hour after its broadcast premiere to become available on all devices."

https://help.hbogo.com/hc/en-us/arti...ble-on-HBO-GO-

This might depend on what device you are using, but again I have never used Go, so that's the extent of my help :/
RatskyWatsky
Hunky Nostradamus
(10-03-2016, 01:26 AM)

Originally Posted by Beefy

Will spoilers be posted unmarked in here? or will they be marked? Due to it not coming out until Tursday here, I wouldn't want to get spoilered.

It will work the same as every other TV show thread on GAF. Discussion of the episode will not be spoiler tagged, but any preview talk will be (as well as spoilers obtained from interviews and leaks and whatnot).
FoneBone
(10-03-2016, 01:28 AM)
Didn't see this posted yet:

HBO's 'Westworld,' With $100 Million Price Tag, Faces Huge Expectations

Insiders tell The Hollywood Reporter the overall budget for the first season of the 10-episode project is in the $100 million range on par with HBO's long-in-the-works rock drama Vinyl, which fizzled after one season earlier this year. Sources peg the budget for the 90-minute Westworld pilot alone in the $25 million range, including reshoots, with some costs rolled to episode two as parts of the series debut were moved out of the premiere. (For context: HBO scrapped the entire original Game of Thrones pilot, which had a price tag of $20 million.) The per-episode budget is said to be anywhere from $8 million to $10 million. It's also worth noting that the drama hails from Warner Bros. Television, with HBO paying a massive licensing fee to its corporate sibling for Westworld, which is among the premium cabler's few studio buys. Both share in the costs for the series, with sources noting it's likely a 50-50 split and HBO serving as the lead on the show.

Created by husband-and-wife duo Jonathan Nolan (Person of Interest) and Lisa Joy and executive produced by J.J. Abrams, Westworld features a cast of A-listers including Anthony Hopkins as the head of an ultra-realistic amusement park where visitors come to live out their most outrageous desires. The cast also includes Evan Rachel Wood, James Marsden, Thandie Newton and Ed Harris. (Hopkins and Harris are said to have scored $175,000 per episode each...)

Beefy
Banned
(10-03-2016, 01:34 AM)

Originally Posted by RatskyWatsky

It will work the same as every other TV show thread on GAF. Discussion of the episode will not be spoiler tagged, but any preview talk will be (as well as spoilers obtained from interviews and leaks and whatnot).

Ok, guessing I miss out this thread until Tusday night then. Thanx
ryseing
(10-03-2016, 01:38 AM)
So freaking excited. The fact that HBO Now came to PS4 today makes it even better. Catching up on Maher to get ready.
Cornballer
(10-03-2016, 01:40 AM)
Looking forward to getting started on this tonight. It's been a long wait. Let's see what you've got, Westworld.
yayaba
(10-03-2016, 01:43 AM)
Feel like HBO's hopes are riding on this. With Thrones ending in 2 seasons, they need a new cultural hit fast.

Super psyched to watch this tonight.
~Kinggi~
Banned
(10-03-2016, 01:58 AM)

Originally Posted by FoneBone

Didn't see this posted yet:

HBO's 'Westworld,' With $100 Million Price Tag, Faces Huge Expectations

Jesus Christ thats expensive. I eagerly await expensive pixels on my screen. mmmm, the sweet expensive pixels
lamaroo
(10-03-2016, 02:05 AM)

Originally Posted by ~Kinggi~

Jesus Christ thats expensive. I eagerly await expensive pixels on my screen. mmmm, the sweet expensive pixels

The sex scenes will be so opulent.
Grizzlyjin
Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
(10-03-2016, 02:09 AM)
Can't believe this starts in less than an hour. There was a point where I wondered if this would ever actually air. And here we are.
RustyNails
with arms wide open / under the sunlight / welcome to this place / i'll show you everythaaaang
(10-03-2016, 02:10 AM)
I know the ending of the Crichton story, so not as crazy hyped as I should be. But I'll watch it. Production values look incredible.
More_Badass
(10-03-2016, 02:13 AM)

Originally Posted by RustyNails

I know the ending of the Crichton story, so not as crazy hyped as I should be. But I'll watch it. Production values look incredible.

This seems to only share the name and basic premise of "Western-themed world with androids" with the movie
jon bones
hot hot hanuman-on-man action
(10-03-2016, 02:16 AM)
super stoked for this premiere! hope it's good!
aussiedude08
(10-03-2016, 02:37 AM)
Cant wait for it to start. Wish Foxtel would show all HBO programs the same time as the US in Australia not just GoT, Night of and Westworld.
Sanjuro
Inside Man
(10-03-2016, 02:44 AM)
I still have no idea why I should be excited for this?
lamaroo
(10-03-2016, 02:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Sanjuro

I still have no idea why I should be excited for this?

You see that cast?
Sanjuro
Inside Man
(10-03-2016, 02:48 AM)

Originally Posted by lamaroo

You see that cast?

That is the only thing really pulling me in. Still have no idea on the premise.

As usually, I'm just locking in to Sunday night HBO!
jfkgoblue
(10-03-2016, 02:57 AM)
looking foward to this
More_Badass
(10-03-2016, 03:00 AM)
Great, so don't tell me that tonight is the one where Westworld doesn't appear on Now

Edit: up now
Zulithe
(10-03-2016, 03:00 AM)
*edit* nevermind Ep 1 just now went live

When is it hitting HBOGO? it's 6PM (9PM EST) and I don't see it yet
Sanjuro
Inside Man
(10-03-2016, 03:01 AM)
...The Young Pope wtf?!
serenewarfare
Banned
(10-03-2016, 03:01 AM)