• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

torre_avenue
(09-16-2017, 07:15 AM)

Welcome to GAF-Hop! If you're here, you probably have an interest in all things hip-hop and seek a place to discuss albums, hot singles, and disastrous hip-hop events with like-minded individuals! GAF-Hop is a place full of diverse perspectives, ranging from people who hate Nas & The Wu-Tang to people who believe classic NY rap is alive & thriving instead of dead & buried. No matter what your favorite genre is, there is always someone here willing to engage & discuss with you about it. But enough talk, it's time for...

The following questions are our equivalent of the Voight-Kampff test. Only instead of finding out whether or not you're a robot, we're finding whether or not you have shit taste & can be handily ignored. Please answer as truthfully as you can, and remember, if you skip a question or decline to answer, you will be shamed out of this thread & lose all hip-hop listening privileges.
  • Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq/Atlantistan/etc)
  • What’s your favorite subgenre of rap e.g. Conscious, G-Funk, Hyphy, Trap, Chopped & Screwed, Gangster, etc.?
  • Favorite Artists (Pick Five)
  • Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five)
  • What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY?
  • What are you listening to right now?
  • What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for?
  • Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums)

For those who want to look back on Gaf-Hop's glory days of long dicks, Soulja Girls, and Desiigner dancing to escape the pit of memes, outdated jokes, and lyric chains that defines our present, here's the archive.

―Ξ OT0 - OT1 - OT2 - OT3 - OT4 - OT5 - OT6 - OT7 - OT8 - OT9 - OT10 - OT11 - OT12 - OT13 - OT14 - OT15 - OT16Ξ―

IF YOU NEED SOMETHING TO LISTEN TO...
What I'd like to do with this space is to fill it with top ten lists from the regulars in the thread. Hip-hop as a genre is massive and because of that it can be daunting for newbies to find what they like in it. That's why I'd like people here to just quickly post their top ten albums of all time, so that any hip-hop newbies can refer to these lists to begin to make their way through the genre. As more people post their lists, I will throw them up here.In addition, Dereck, HiResDes, and other folks here post a lot of recommendations that go unnoticed, and I'd like to rectify that. Here will be a running list of projects that have been recommended to people in this thread or that are just new, so if you have a free moment and have gotten tired of spinning the new Atlanta trap classic "Perfect Timing" by NAV & Metro Boomin, you can listen to something new.

For example, Des has a really nice list of underground projects that he just posted. Go through some and find your new underrated gem.

This week features:
And be sure to check out new releases from some of GAF-Hop's own:
- Drain by Marks (a.k.a. Toku)
- The Evil That Pens Do (feat. Roc Marciano) by Emperor Bohe
- Where The Light Meets (EP) by Elijah (a.k.a. Cosmic Dreams)
- Laptop Beats by Jurmainson (a.k.a. Dereck)
- Emperor Bohe's remixes of your fave tracks.

HALL OF SHAME

Ultimately, to many outsiders, we’re nothing more than a community of circle-jerkers, shitting on your taste and rejecting quality posts in favor of NAV/Desiigner/Travis Scott/the next memeable trapper shitposts. And you’re not wrong. But, this community contains a lot of good people, recommending a lot of good music. I’ll try and update the OP regularly with links to recommended projects as well as music made by some of the talent musicians posting here. The main thing is to enjoy yourself here on Gaf-Hop. Just sit back, relax, and shit on your least favorite rapper. Ultimately, Cheddahz said it best:

“Let's ask the question "What is GAF-Hop, really?" again. It's a community of hip-hop nuts that has somehow survived five years on a gaming forum and damn, we should be celebrating this achievement…..but all we'll do is bitch and moan about how Schoolboy Q is much more successful than your favorite underground rapper or we'll laugh our asses off at the every other day Danny Brown mental breakdown (in which he complains about not being successful or whatever) and shit, we'll discuss plans on how to "hack" Just Blaze's Motorola, just so we can get our hands on the long awaited Jay Electronica album and you know what? The diversity of topics and the numerous artists/albums that we are able to discuss on a daily basis is how GAF-Hop has survived for the last five years and personally speaking, I've only been a member of the community for a year now and I'm thankful that I have a community I give two shits about on this forum. Let's not fall apart like Maybach Music and let's make the next five years even better than last five years (and hell, we might actually be discussing Jay Electronica's album by then)”

And remember to pour one out for the good sisters in Pop-GAF and those of us who've been perma'd.

Have fun! And remember, Nav is the goat.

Last edited by torre_avenue; 10-07-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Team Jones
(09-16-2017, 07:20 AM)
NAVIgating Hip-Hop
Numb
Banned
(09-16-2017, 07:20 AM)

Just another day

P.S we don't deserve NAV
Bronx-Man
In 16th century Japan, the African slave of a Jesuit priest rises to become a samurai in the service of its most powerful warlord, & faces the challenge of a corrupt general who is scheming to topple the warlord & rule in his place.
(09-16-2017, 07:22 AM)
We really in this mf
perfectchaos007
(09-16-2017, 07:23 AM)
I'm already looking forward to the 2018 XXL Freshman Cypher. Love these up and comers
Numb
Banned
Fuck a XXX tho
Vorheez
I just want to be on the first page for reasons that I don't even understand
Bronx-Man
In 16th century Japan, the African slave of a Jesuit priest rises to become a samurai in the service of its most powerful warlord, & faces the challenge of a corrupt general who is scheming to topple the warlord & rule in his place.
(09-16-2017, 07:24 AM)

Originally Posted by Numb

Fuck a XXX tho

Fuck a beat, I was tryna beat a case
Numb
Banned
(09-16-2017, 07:26 AM)

Originally Posted by Bronx-Man

Fuck a beat, I was tryna beat a case

"The only thing i beat is pussy"

Nigga
overcast
(09-16-2017, 07:28 AM)
Kendrick Lamar is a very good rapper.
Numb
Banned
(09-16-2017, 07:29 AM)
That Pop-Gaf edit
Almost had a heartattack
perfectchaos007
(09-16-2017, 07:30 AM)

Originally Posted by overcast

Kendrick Lamar is a very good rapper.

He finds emo XXX to be deep and thoughtful
Team Jones
(09-16-2017, 07:34 AM)
Off break I like LE$ 'Midnight Club' to 'Summer Madness' it was more motivational, tranquil, and his voice blended better with the the production... and the production was better. 'Midnight Club' was my album of the summer, and it's hard to top a favorite. on that note...

...still playing 'Summer Madness'
Last edited by Team Jones; 09-16-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Vorheez
(09-16-2017, 07:34 AM)
Good job Torre

Everybody clap for Torre

*clap*
torre_avenue
(09-16-2017, 07:40 AM)

Originally Posted by perfectchaos007

He finds emo XXX to be deep and thoughtful

Did he say that? All I got from his cosign was that he liked what XXX was doing musically, and I can see why. X's emotional sad and depressed music is in the same vein as "u", but it's not a good look for Kenny.

In other things, check out a show called "The Mayor." It's executive produced by Daveed Diggs of "clipping." fame, and its about a rapper who becomes a mayor. Daveed cameos as a rapper named "Mac Etcetera", likely an homage to Mac Dre, but it's a nice little show with hip-hop elements. Pilot is available for free on ABC's (the American one) website.
overcast
(09-16-2017, 08:52 AM)
I don't get the /mu thing
HiResDes
(09-16-2017, 08:56 AM)
Really dope thread
HiiiLife
(09-16-2017, 08:57 AM)
I'm lowkey mad I didn't get the last post and the first post.
CRS
(09-16-2017, 08:57 AM)
Why isn't this in Off-Topic?
Catvoca
(09-16-2017, 09:20 AM)
Great OP! Shout out to Enzo for the title too.

Originally Posted by overcast

I don't get the /mu thing

It came out of this exchange

Originally Posted by Bounceounce

Th anti-Fantano crowd tries way too hard to paint him as this bad man, even with his flaws.

Originally Posted by Courage

go cry about it on /mu/, idgaf if it hurts you.

Originally Posted by Catvoca

GAF-Hop |OTXVII| go cry about it on /mu/, idgaf if it hurts you.

Originally Posted by enzo_gt

GAF-Hop |OT17| I don't really care if /mu/ cry

Last edited by Catvoca; 09-16-2017 at 09:48 AM.
guava_tin
(09-16-2017, 09:34 AM)
Blazed listening to Danny's XXX, what's good Gaf-Hop?
Lemon Crest
(09-16-2017, 09:53 AM)
Damn. is a very good album.
torre_avenue
(09-16-2017, 10:03 AM)

Originally Posted by Lemon Crest

Damn. is a very good album.

Starting early with the hot takes, I see.

Originally Posted by guava_tin

Blazed listening to Danny's XXX, what's good Gaf-Hop?

It's all good. Feel free to ask around for more albums in the vein of XXX, if you desire more.

Also, Armie Hammer is with the culture.
Last edited by torre_avenue; 09-16-2017 at 10:07 AM.
shoelacer
(09-16-2017, 10:35 AM)
yeezus
808s
graduation
mbdtf
late registration
cd
pablo
shoelacer
(09-16-2017, 10:38 AM)
also as drunk as ive been im pretty stoked ak didnt get the reigns here
Koozek
(09-16-2017, 10:58 AM)
Great OT, torre :D Thank you! I'm glad you appreciate NAV too and don't just dismiss him as a meme.

We should have more Top 10's in the OT. Get on it, brehs.
Discotheque
Pam Oliver sextape
(09-16-2017, 11:17 AM)
Jay Electronica album coming soon
torre_avenue
(09-16-2017, 11:35 AM)

Originally Posted by Discotheque

Jay Electronica album coming soon

Please, the album is a concept the Yakub created to limit the artistic freedom of black men & women. All it does is chain the creativity & spirituality of music to an archaic box created by those in power.
Nibel
(09-16-2017, 11:55 AM)
Thank you Torre 👌

Another 400 pages of the worst opinions on the internet bless the fuck up

Originally Posted by CRS

Why isn't this in Off-Topic?

You wanna attract even worse opinions on rap music or what
Eos
(09-16-2017, 02:09 PM)
Great job torre!
Nav would be proud
Andrew Korenchkin
(09-16-2017, 02:13 PM)
Yay, new thread!

Here we go
MoodyFog
(09-16-2017, 02:25 PM)
good thread
enzo_gt
tagged by Blackace
(09-16-2017, 02:42 PM)
Fantastic Hall of Shame idea.

Here's hoping Nav makes it to OT18.
NipplesAndToes23
Banned
(09-16-2017, 02:47 PM)
Thanks, I wasn't aware L'Orange was releasing an album this year. Been slipping the past couple years, but got better this year. Still want to find more Reggae. Looking forward to Laila's Wisdom and Don't Ever Get It Twisted.
Team Jones
(09-16-2017, 04:53 PM)

Originally Posted by shoelacer

yeezus
808s
graduation
mbdtf
late registration
cd
pablo

...and it starts.

mdbtf
pre mbdtf
post mdbtf
Fevaweva
(09-16-2017, 04:53 PM)
MBDTF
808s
Yeezus
Graduation
CD
TLOP
LR

Put WTT inbetween TLOP and LR if it counts.
Bronx-Man
(09-16-2017, 05:24 PM)
I always find it weird that people put in WTT with the rest of Ye's albums but never Cruel Summer.
cb1115
I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
(09-16-2017, 06:06 PM)
Graduation and TLOP over LR
HiiiLife
(09-16-2017, 06:12 PM)
MBDTF #1.

TLOP #7.
Bronx-Man
(09-16-2017, 06:13 PM)
TLOP vs LR is a harder decision than I thought now that I think about it.
Koozek
(09-16-2017, 06:24 PM)

TLOP vs LR is a harder decision than I thought now that I think about it.

wat
Catvoca
(09-16-2017, 06:25 PM)
Thread's already on Kanye rankings. When's OT 19
Bronx-Man
(09-16-2017, 06:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Koozek

wat

Both have about the same amount of great songs. Addiction, Touch the Sky, Gold Digger, Heard Em Say, Diamonds From Sierra Lione, Drive Slow vs FML, Fade, Saint Pablo, Wolves, Real Friends, Ultralight Beams
Koozek
(09-16-2017, 06:54 PM)

Both have about the same amount of great songs. Addiction, Touch the Sky, Gold Digger, Heard Em Say, Diamonds From Sierra Lione, Drive Slow vs FML, Fade, Saint Pablo, Wolves, Real Friends, Ultralight Beams

Each of the LR songs you named is on its own better than all of the good tracks on TLOP together.
Catvoca
(09-16-2017, 06:59 PM)

Your LR list is missing Roses, Gone, Hey Mama, We Major, We Can Make It Better (on the UK version) and My Way Home. I like TLOP but LR has more great songs.
cb1115
I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
(09-16-2017, 07:03 PM)

Each of the LR songs you named is on its own better than all of the good tracks on TLOP together.

hold on now

ULB slander will not be tolerated
Bronx-Man
(09-16-2017, 07:17 PM)

C'mon son
torre_avenue
(09-16-2017, 07:44 PM)
Ultralight Beams is the song of 2016.

I'm tryna keep my faith.
But I'm looking for more.
Somewhere I can be safe
HiiiLife
(09-16-2017, 07:47 PM)

Fact.
Catvoca
(09-16-2017, 07:55 PM)

Originally Posted by torre_avenue

Ultralight Beams is the song of 2016.

I'm tryna keep my faith.
But I'm looking for more.
Somewhere I can be safe

Chance's best ever verse

You can feel the lyrics, the spirit coming in Braille
Tubman of the underground, come and follow the trail
I made Sunday candy I'm never going to hell