Welcome to GAF-Hop! If you're here, you probably have an interest in all things hip-hop and seek a place to discuss albums, hot singles, and disastrous hip-hop events with like-minded individuals! GAF-Hop is a place full of diverse perspectives, ranging from people who hate Nas & The Wu-Tang to people who believe classic NY rap is alive & thriving instead of dead & buried. No matter what your favorite genre is, there is always someone here willing to engage & discuss with you about it. But enough talk, it's time for...
The following questions are our equivalent of the Voight-Kampff test. Only instead of finding out whether or not you're a robot, we're finding whether or not you have shit taste & can be handily ignored. Please answer as truthfully as you can, and remember, if you skip a question or decline to answer, you will be shamed out of this thread & lose all hip-hop listening privileges.
- Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq/Atlantistan/etc)
- What’s your favorite subgenre of rap e.g. Conscious, G-Funk, Hyphy, Trap, Chopped & Screwed, Gangster, etc.?
- Favorite Artists (Pick Five)
- Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five)
- What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY?
- What are you listening to right now?
- What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for?
- Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums)
For those who want to look back on Gaf-Hop's glory days of long dicks, Soulja Girls, and Desiigner dancing to escape the pit of memes, outdated jokes, and lyric chains that defines our present, here's the archive.
―Ξ OT0 - OT1 - OT2 - OT3 - OT4 - OT5 - OT6 - OT7 - OT8 - OT9 - OT10 - OT11 - OT12 - OT13 - OT14 - OT15 - OT16Ξ―
IF YOU NEED SOMETHING TO LISTEN TO...
What I'd like to do with this space is to fill it with top ten lists from the regulars in the thread. Hip-hop as a genre is massive and because of that it can be daunting for newbies to find what they like in it. That's why I'd like people here to just quickly post their top ten albums of all time, so that any hip-hop newbies can refer to these lists to begin to make their way through the genre. As more people post their lists, I will throw them up here.
- Andrew Korenchkin
- HiResDes (list #1 & list #2)
For example, Des has a really nice list of underground projects that he just posted. Go through some and find your new underrated gem.
This week features:
- Some fine footwork courtesy of TEKLIFE's DJ Manny.
- Big Baby Gandhi's 27.
- ANTWON - Sunnyvale Gardens. Secret Circle when though?
- Clairmont the Second - Lil Mont From the Avenue
- Smokepurrp's Deadstar.
- Kelela's Take Me Apart
And be sure to check out new releases from some of GAF-Hop's own:
- Drain by Marks (a.k.a. Toku)
- The Evil That Pens Do (feat. Roc Marciano) by Emperor Bohe
- Where The Light Meets (EP) by Elijah (a.k.a. Cosmic Dreams)
- Laptop Beats by Jurmainson (a.k.a. Dereck)
- Emperor Bohe's remixes of your fave tracks.
HALL OF SHAME
Ultimately, to many outsiders, we’re nothing more than a community of circle-jerkers, shitting on your taste and rejecting quality posts in favor of NAV/Desiigner/Travis Scott/the next memeable trapper shitposts. And you’re not wrong. But, this community contains a lot of good people, recommending a lot of good music. I’ll try and update the OP regularly with links to recommended projects as well as music made by some of the talent musicians posting here. The main thing is to enjoy yourself here on Gaf-Hop. Just sit back, relax, and shit on your least favorite rapper. Ultimately, Cheddahz said it best:
And remember to pour one out for the good sisters in Pop-GAF and those of us who've been perma'd.
“Let's ask the question "What is GAF-Hop, really?" again. It's a community of hip-hop nuts that has somehow survived five years on a gaming forum and damn, we should be celebrating this achievement…..but all we'll do is bitch and moan about how Schoolboy Q is much more successful than your favorite underground rapper or we'll laugh our asses off at the every other day Danny Brown mental breakdown (in which he complains about not being successful or whatever) and shit, we'll discuss plans on how to "hack" Just Blaze's Motorola, just so we can get our hands on the long awaited Jay Electronica album and you know what? The diversity of topics and the numerous artists/albums that we are able to discuss on a daily basis is how GAF-Hop has survived for the last five years and personally speaking, I've only been a member of the community for a year now and I'm thankful that I have a community I give two shits about on this forum. Let's not fall apart like Maybach Music and let's make the next five years even better than last five years (and hell, we might actually be discussing Jay Electronica's album by then)”
Have fun! And remember, Nav is the goat.