• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo to announce 18.7 Billion Yen loss for the fiscal year

AniHawk

My bet is we might get a rough timeline of their holiday plan. Something like 'we plan to release 5 key 1st party Wii U games' over the holiday is good enough for me.

i sorta remember the wii u was announced as an early-2012 project at one of these things (after a ton of rumors) when they were making less profit and selling less systems at the end of 2011.

Striek

Operating loss was double analyst expectations. 36B yen, similar to last fiscal year.

Wii U shipped 345K this quarter globally.

Terrible.

Almost the same loss as last year, no improvement.

Edit: "The operating loss increased primarily due to Wii U and 3DS sales been weaker than expected".

AniHawk

Operating loss was double analyst expectations. 36B yen, similar to last fiscal year.

Wii U shipped 345K this quarter globally.

daaaaaaaaaaaamn

i am a little surprised the wii u managed to move anything this quarter. 3.51m worldwide shipped at this point. it'll take a miracle to get 10m out the door over the next year.

that operating loss though. wow. i bet a lot of it is the lack of wii u software moving anywhere.

Anth0ny

However, “Wii U” was not able to maintain the initial sales momentum after the beginning of 2013 due to a delay in the development of subsequent software titles. The worldwide sales of the “Wii U” hardware and software were 3.45 million units and 13.42 million units respectively.

Owing to the fact that the “Wii U” hardware sales have a negative impact on Nintendo’s profits, the operatin loss was 36.4 billion yen.

welp

AniHawk

net income loss of $381m. that's pretty huge.

edit: haha, that's 2012's results. $71m consolidated net income (gain) for 2013.

Wii U shipped 345K this quarter globally. EDIT misread. 3.45M LTD, they merged the two quarters.

Looks like they shipped almost exactly what we were predicting here, roughly keeping pace with worldwide sales so the excess stock from before is still an issue.

Sandfox

So it looks like Nintendo is going to be aggressive with key Wii U software in the second half of this year through next year according to the report.

Kazerei

Banned
It's happening.gif

All-in-all, there's not a huge amount of new data to expect yet, as others have noted - the forecast is in line with revised expectations. I'm interested in the number of units they managed to shift considering how full the channel was though. Tomorrow is Sales-Age Christmas - the investor meeting i.e. Nintendo charts day.

Posted as I wrote: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/130424e.pdf

From the PDF:

As a result of exchange gains totalling 39.5 billion yen due to the depreciation of the yen, ordinary income was 10.4 billion yen and net income was 7 billion yen.

Wow, the effect of the exchange rate is crazy. Operating loss was roughly the same in FY2012 and FY2013, but net income went from huge negative to small positive.

Anth0ny

Wii U Sales:

920,000 in Japan
1.52 million in US
1.01 million in Other

3.45 million total

Forecast for next fiscal year (ending March 2014): 9 million units sold (that's not including the 3.45 million already sold)

Hsieh

So Nintendo was expected to post an operating income loss of 20 billion yen and it actually turned out to be 36 billion yen? The shareholders are going to be pissed tomorrow.

TriGen

I'm even more interested in the invetors meeting now. Bloomberg's projection didn't sound that bad to me, but this kind of does.

Nintendo hardware and software sales data updated:

i3WYZGVpRLZsk.png

iXyHnQXJEQnT5.png

iP4SsmuZ7nfCY.png

AniHawk

the ds is now dead. no hardware forecasts for the next fiscal year. 153.87m units sold.

3ds forecast is 18m. would bring sales up to 49m if they meet them (essentially what the snes sold).

plan to sell 2m wiis. currently sitting at 99.84m

9m wii us planned for the next fiscal year. currently at 3.45m.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Last year, net income was a loss of 43,204,000,000 (43 billion yen, 434 million dollars).

This year, net income was a gain of 7,099,000,000 (7 billion yen, 71 million dollars).

Just cause operations are still taking a loss doesn't mean they're not making money, exchange rate calculations were done at 90JPY to USD, which is now closer to 100 anyway so more money still.

wrowa

Wow, no improvement over last year is really bad. If the Wii U is such a money sink I don't know how Nintendo is supposed to do fundamentally better this year. Besides games the console probably needs a price cut to pick up, but that cuts their profits once again. They better sell a lot of software and 3DSs this year.

Edit: Or something. Currency magic confuses me.

JoeM86

Last year, net income was a loss of 43,204,000,000 (43 billion yen, 434 million dollars).

This year, net income was a gain of 7,099,000,000 (7 billion yen, 71 million dollars).

Just cause operations are still taking a loss doesn't mean they're not making money, exchange rate calculations were done at 90JPY to USD, which is now closer to 100 anyway so more money still.

This. While the Operating Income is bad, people need to factor in everything before doomsaying.

Besides, seems they've cleared house a fair bit, http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/130424_3e.pdf

Wii U Sales:

920,000 in Japan
1.52 million in US
1.01 million in Other

3.45 million total

Forecast for next fiscal year (ending March 2014): 9 million units sold (that's not including the 3.45 million already sold)
Which makes this quarters shipments:
JP: 90,000
NA: 200,000
Other: 110,000

Terrible.

Software, also bad.

JP: 250,000
NA: 880,000
Other: 580,000
Global: 1.71M

kami_sama

Then, does this mean, that thanks to the exchange rate, they avoided losing money?

Hsieh

The 20 billion yen net operating loss figure came from Nintendo directly on January 31, 2013 during a previous investors meeting. It looks like sales in February and March were much lower than originally predicted.

Pappasman

Taking this into consideration, for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014, we plan to concentrate on proactively releasing key nintendo titles from the second half half this year through next year in order to regain momentum for the platform.

Sounds good to me. Hopefully they can turn their situation around.

Mario 3D Land > NSMB2! Hooray for effort.

Hopefully Luigi has legs. Glad to see Kid Icarus broke a million. Why no Fire Emblem? Isn't that a million seller?

duckroll

wait, so it's typical to get game announcements out of these things?

Has nintendo revealed new games at every investor meeting in the past?

Not particularly typical and not at every investor meeting, but they have had surprise announcements before at investor meetings. Monado was first re-revealed as Xenoblade at the Third Quarterly investor meeting, along with the announcement of The Last Story.

Sandfox

Its nice to see that Kid Icarus made to 1m

Pokemon BW2 are at 7.81 million which makes them really successful as third versions

I'm still annoyed that we haven't gotten any updated Skyward Sword numbers but its kinda expected.

Then, does this mean, that thanks to the exchange rate, they avoided losing money?

The exchange rate was screwing them and other companies over in the past few years so now its being improved in order to stop that from happening. Its kinda a bail but they know that so meh.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Nintendo hardware and software sales data updated:

[IMGttps://i.minus.com/i3WYZGVpRLZsk.png[/IMG]

[IMhttps://i.minus.com/iXyHnQXJEQnT5.png[/IMG]

[IMGps://i.minus.com/iP4SsmuZ7nfCY.png[/IMG]

Have you got the link to this page?

Top Bottom