• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 BETA firmware 5.00 out today

Is Nier installed on a external drive? Cuz i get hitching and stuttering from my external drive on many games. The worst case is Not A Hero, but I also get it in MKX, DS3's and Mafia III's cutscenes, in Ghost Recon Wildlands, it causes the audio to cut out for like a sec and there are more. But all those problems disappear the moment I move the game to the internal drive. Its a Seagate ST4000LM016 4TB and i heard a lot of people mention this in the 4.5's beta

Nah, both PS4s are standard PS4s with 1TB internal drives (same model too). It's just a known thing with the game that it gets quick pauses when traveling in the open areas because it's loading assets from the drive. I'm just wondering if there was any optimization done to the system's HDD access layer that maybe would help with it.

Thanks, happens with most if not all cod's this gen.

Hey man

I just tried a game in MW Remastered and didn't really have issues pulling up the quick menu. The share menu came up fine too.

I wouldn't chalk this down to any actual improvements, however. The PS4 has you rebuild the database every FW upgrade so I can imagine that any improvements people are seeing are just due to that. It happens literally every time an update comes out; people saying that everything loads way faster.

I think we'll just have to wait and see.

Jake2by4

i can't remember if it happened in AW or Ghosts but Blop3 and IW it did.
It did but BO3 is the worst offender outta off all of them.

Hey man

I just tried a game in MW Remastered and didn't really have issues pulling up the quick menu. The share menu came up fine too.

I wouldn't chalk this down to any actual improvements, however. The PS4 has you rebuild the database every FW upgrade so I can imagine that any improvements people are seeing are just due to that. It happens literally every time an update comes out; people saying that everything loads way faster.

I think we'll just have to wait and see.
Thanks for testing it out. Gonna try it for the WW beta.

Rellik

DVD playback has become a shit show for me since this update. Constant hitching and black screens for a few seconds.

If it's the actual drive dying I'm going to be pissed because that died on my launch PS4 too.

iirc it works if Spotify is in the foreground
Long press share on the currently playing song

You mean the Spotify program or the music tool from quick menu? Cus I was playing music and I long pressed on Share button and Share menu came in with only option is share music on social media bu can't send music on PS messages.

Rated-G

If anyone has a spare US code they could PM me I’d be super appreciative.

I’m still trying to get my email issue sorted with Sony, but even then I have no idea if I would have gotten into the beta anyway. I do know I’ve missed out on the last three because I haven’t been receiving emails from PlayStation period.

Rellik

DVD playback has become a shit show for me since this update. Constant hitching and black screens for a few seconds.

If it's the actual drive dying I'm going to be pissed because that died on my launch PS4 too.

Now I'm getting big issues with gameplay on digital games. All of them. Looks like I'll have to report the issue and uninstall this beta. It's broken as hell for me.

Kyoufu

I don't know why people require US codes. You can use other regions too and making foreign accounts takes like a minute.

Anybody else getting constant crashes while setting the cursor over the party menu or anything related to audio config? My Ps4 instantly freezes every single time i simply select any of those options.

I see the CE-36329-3 Error Code on the error list.

I take it broadcasting at 1080p @ 60 fps is going to require an insane amount of upload internet speed?

Mine is like 10 up and 20 down. Not sure if that's enough.

Really disappointed with the Custom Lists option. It doesn't appear (nor can you add it) in the Quick Menu, and you can't send a message to all members of the Custom list.

Contrast that with Favourite Groups (which have now basically been removed in 5.00), where you could have it as a menu item in the Quick Menu, and easily message everyone in the Group.

In 5.00, if you want to check which members of your Custom List are online, and send a message to them, you have to press the PlayStation button and go back to the full XMB, go to Friends > Custom Lists > highlight the specific Custom List, then back out and go to Messages > Favourites to send the same group of people a message. It makes absolutely no sense. I'm probably going to 'downgrade' back to the regular firmware because it's already driving me crazy after 15 minutes.

Having a problem with the new 5.0 beta, seems to be dropping the LAN cable connection out of nowhere and the only way to get it back is to restart the PS4. Anyone else having these issues? The router itself is fine, and other devices were able to connect to the network fine.

Why cant sony allow us to do what steam does with online id

Why wont they let us change our id on a game to game basis by allowing us nicknamda

Is this possible. I so tired of my username

kc44135

So, I know the update allows your to stream on Switch @60 FPS on PS4 PRO now, but what about recording video clips? Can you record at 60 FPS now, or is it still locked at 30?

I3rand0

I don't have access to the beta site/forum, but if someone could let Sony know the new firmware locks up FF XII when you manually save it would be appreciated.

The new 5.0 beta firmware caused some slowdown in Share functionality, and some networking problems, so I've rolled back to the previous firmware.

There are a few important things to take note of when doing this, mostly for users who have installed games to extended storage:

• Depending on how big your storage media or HDD drives are, it will take several minutes to rebuild the database
  • Various icons, if not, all for games on extended media in folders are taken out of folders
  • If game disc is inserted, and has already been installed on extended media, the console will attempt to install the game again but on System Storage. This causes an error. Also the update for the game will begin downloading again to System Storage.
  • Some games are reading incorrect file sizes. For me, Destiny was reading as 1.06GB, which is for sure incorrect.
  • For some reason, updates for several games that have been downloaded in the past are pushed out again. Not sure why.

Toe-Knee

Has anyone noticed that the video output information page has changed it now shows more info such as available frequencies with and without hdr at 4k

2017-08-20%2019.47.54.jpg

Joey Ravn

Banned
I hate how the UI defaults to the Notifications section in the Quick Menu now. Before, I long-pressed the PS button and it opened the Quick Menu in the last position I had left it at (more often than not, Power Settings, so I could quickly turn off my console). Now it goes to Notifications by default. Bleh.

It's something that Sony loves doing. The main menu automatically puts the icon for the physical game in your drive in the first position (well, third, actually) and moves your cursor to it, so it's selected when your PS4 turns on. It actually takes two or three seconds to do it, so more than once I've pressed X on a digital game only for the cursor to change at the last moment to the physical game. Bleh.

I wonder why Sony doesn't let us manually rearrange the menu icons and "pin" the ones we use the most. I have zero use for the Store and "What's New" icons, yet they are put in the first and second positions and can't be moved from there.

andshrew

I hate how the UI defaults to the Notifications section in the Quick Menu now. Before, I long-pressed the PS button and it opened the Quick Menu in the last position I had left it at (more often than not, Power Settings, so I could quickly turn off my console). Now it goes to Notifications by default. Bleh.

It defaults to whatever you have as the top entry, so put Power there and it'll open on that.

Endo Punk

Reported 2 issues. Music not continuing to next song in quick menu and screen frozen when accessing messages. Gone back to 4.73. There just isn't much to play around with.

yume_2501

Found one heavy bug afflicting the DLC of some games:

Had started the witcher 3 and noted that blood & wine and Hos dlc were not recognized, game size was reported as 50 gb (it was 70 gb). tried the licenses check, nothing changed.game installed on the internal hd
re-installed hos (4 gb), size reported was again 50 gb. after some minutes checked again the game size now reported 70 gb. started the game, only hos recognized now, blood & wine not. tried move the game on the external hd, nothing changes. reinstalled blood&wine again, game always 70 gb but b&w recognized now. the dlc are buyed with another account that is primary on my console. not having problems with playng other games that are buyed with this account that not have dlcs. problem seems afflicting only dlcs

Rock band 4, a lot of songs not recognized, probably i have to donwnload again like the witcher

Dark souls 3, ashes of ariandel recognized, ringed city not, i have the season pass

Mafia 3, if i check what is installed the dashboard says only the season pass, have not started it because i have fear that could damage my save

thinking to downgrade the firmware

edit:
PS4 pro btw
to add that had a case of low framerate when playing rainbow six seige (never happened before). it happened as soon as a friend online notification appeared

Top Bottom