• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Day: A Labyrinth Named School [Remake] (PS4/Steam) Review Thread

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Wollan

Have this pre-ordered on PSN (thanks to Dusk Golem's original thread a few years back making an impression). Sounding good.

Exentryk

I like horror, but not the "hide and run from monster" nonsense. Since this game has that a lot with the Janitor, etc., I guess I'll have to pass.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dusk Golem

UrbanRats

I like horror, but not the "hide and run from monster" nonsense. Since this game has that a lot with the Janitor, etc., I guess I'll have to pass.

Same, i can't stand this gameplay type anymore, especially in first person, but i did enjoy RE7 and Siren (the remake anyway, which was less obtuse) so i think i'll still give this a shot.
It's not like i could pass on a decent horror game anyway, i'm too much of a sucker for the genre.

Wollan

Does this one have more included ghost-stories, scares and scenarios depending on difficulty level (like the original) ?

Ydelnae

I actually liked what I saw and I've been craving to play the older Project Zero titles, so this will do. Is this getting a retail release in the west?

Edit: Yeah, it's getting one the same day of the digital release. Since it drops too close to Yakuza Kiwami, I will probably wait before picking it up.

Dusk Golem

SpotAnime

This wasn't on my radar at all, but it is now. Looks great, and something I'll want to play through before Halloween. Thanks OP.

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

As someone who's fond of the first two Project Zero games, I feel inclined to check this out as it seems somewhat similar in aesthetic, but I just know it's going to be too intense for me. I can't handle P.T. levels of horror.

Exentryk

Give it a chance, you'll probably be surprised. This game is actually the originator of the genre, it released nearly a decade before Amnesia: The Dark Descent did for example (it actually released two weeks right before Silent Hill 2, which is weird for me to think about), but it solves various issues of the genre in itself. I don't want to spoil the game, but you do way more than just run and hide, there's a surprising lot of variety to it and the game does have boss battles. Also you'll very rarely be hiding in some dark closet for a minute or something like that, again I don't want to spoil it but the game has some very intelligent design decisions that combat what I think most people perceive as 'hide'n'sneak horror', which is part of the reason it's one of my favorite horror games.

I'm speaking of the original game, but it doesn't sound like this has changed in the remake.

Finding supernatural horror games without shooter gameplay is hard enough, so I guess I could give it a try. Thanks.

1upsuper

Same, i can't stand this gameplay type anymore, especially in first person, but i did enjoy RE7 and Siren (the remake anyway, which was less obtuse) so i think i'll still give this a shot.
It's not like i could pass on a decent horror game anyway, i'm too much of a sucker for the genre.
I'm curious what horror games you guys like then. I feel like the fear and powerlessness that comes with the avoid-the-monsters trope is pretty fundamental to the genre.

At any rate, I'll check this out for sure. Thanks for the thread.

UrbanRats

I'm curious what horror games you guys like then. I feel like the fear and powerlessness that comes with the avoid-the-monsters trope is pretty fundamental to the genre.

It mostly bothers me when it's first person AND it's a very constant element of the gameplay loop (explore for 10 minutes, spend 10 minutes running back into a closet, repeat).

RE7 was worrying me, but then doesn't really stick with the mechanic too much, so it's not annoying.

Haunting Ground on the other hand i couldn't stand, because it felt so much of an annoyance to be interrupted every 2 minutes and have to run back under a bed.

The reason why it bothers me is:

1. First person stealth is just bad in my opinion (haven't played Thief tho).

2. Tension and horror quickly give way to frustration and tedium, the 5th time i have to do a section 'cause i got spotted and 1 shotted.

In Siren it didn't bother me because you can fight back AND you have enough tools (with sightjacking) to avoid enemies, without having to wait around or constantly run away.

Penumbra i also dropped for that reason (and didn't even bother trying Amnesia).

TL;DR: I don't find it scary, i find it tedious.
I prefer something like Resident Evil 1, where you're still scared to open the next door, since you have 3 bullets left in your magazine, but you're not just trapped in a loop of running in and out of closets.

There's a lot coming out now and up until the end of the month, but I'm determined to give this a go before the end of the year. Looks incredibly tense, maybe one to keep until Halloween.

Exentryk

I am more a fan of horror movies rather than games. Horror games are just either shooter types and/or hide-from-monster stuff, both of which I don't care for.

The ideal game for me, and which actually has beaten out even horror movies, is P.T.
Recently, I've also been enjoying Observer, even tho the horror elements there are pretty mild.

1upsuper

Thanks for clarifying, UrbanRats and Exentryk! I guess I tend to make a distinction between horror games and games with horror settings, but that's kinda arbitrary on my part.

Dusk Golem

I always want to play horror game but I'm just so terribly scared while playing them...
I'll still give it a shot though... At 1pm during a very sunny day with my windows open and a lot of people in the room.

sn00zer

As far as violence goes is this on the level of Corpse Party? Everyone kept saying how great that was and I just found it disgusting.

Dusk Golem

Fat4all

Banned
the first time I played this a couple of years ago it made me flip my shit several times

cant wait to give this version a play :3

the chris

Any idea of the amount of jump scares? I was watching a preview of the game from e3 I believe and(spoilered just in case anybody wants to go in totally blind)
there was a scream and something flashed on the screen for no discernible reason.
I love horror games but jump scares just kind of irritate me when done for no reason.

sn00zer

It's not focused on gore or disgusting scenes or in the remote ballpark of Corpse Party, there is one scene early in when you see another student running, trips, and is beaten to death with a bat by the janitor, but you don't see that in detail and the game isn't focused on gracious amounts of disturbing content. The horror in White Day is at times much subtler, and other times much weirder.

ah cool...may check this out....going onto my "When its $10 list"

Dusk Golem

the chris

I got the 411

I don't know how long this remake is compared to the original, but in the original a normal playthrough would probably take 4-7 hours, but even in the original there was a good level of replay value as the original game had eight endings and two very distinct pathways through the game (the 'pathways' would change different story and gameplay moments depending what pathway you were on), plus the game has some randomized elements.

The remake has more content overall, so it's probably longer than the original. In the original there was also a difficulty where you needed to beat the game in under two hours (before 'midnight' in game), so it was possible but it's like Resident Evil where your first playthrough will not be nearly that fast.

Not very frequent, I don't know what was shown at E3 (I almost want to think it was about the PSVR Swan Song spin-off, but I don't know), there's more than zero (there's a randomized jump scare kitty as a sort of joke you can randomly get at a few points in the original for example), but most of the game is relatively quiet and with reason though there's a few startling moments. I also will add some stuff won't make much sense at first until the story begins to come together.

On price, there hasn't been an official announcement yet, but it will probably be $26.99 as that's what the price is on PS4.

Has an English and Korean dub all versions of the game have (can choose from options if you'd rather play with English or Korean voices), and subtitle options for English, Korean, French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Russian (and Japanese in Japanese territories only).

Sounds great then, I've had it preordered on Amazon but the date switched to September 28th from August. Maybe that's just for the physical version.

Capra

I'm really looking forward to this after reading your thoughts on White Day over the years so I've had the PS4 version pre-ordered since it went up on Amazon. Kind of disappointed they shifted the physical version out into September but with all that's coming out maybe it's for the best. October is going to be amazing.

Dusk Golem

Jacqli

Wait what. Is it releasing so soon? I thought it would be around September or later. Holy shit, so many games I want to play.

25€… I might bite and buy it. I love B horror games.

Dusk Golem

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
So I take it VR support is not in this release yet? That's the part I was looking towards the most with the remake.

So I take it VR support is not in this release yet? That's the part I was looking towards the most with the remake.
The VR component actually belongs to a separate title in the series, The School: Swan Song, that serves as a prequel to this installment. It still hasn't been released in South Korea and no localization plans have been announced for the West right now. I would suspect whether the latter bit happens depends on how well Labyrinth turns out on the sales field.

Top Bottom