• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Dust |OT| Out of the ashes, into the Dust

EvB

still not up here

ps as an aside does anyone have this issue where Xbox One DLC shows up as "Durable" ?

6gCRFpq.png

happens no matter which computer i'm signed in on

Durables are account based DLCs.

Where a consumable item is an account based DLC that is consumed, such as currency

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
So the expansion skills from the original are not going to be in at release right? Does anyone know if the full skill package covers those?

Zeta Oni

So the expansion skills from the original are not going to be in at release right? Does anyone know if the full skill package covers those?

All we know is that the DLC skills wont be in at launch, and will be easier to earn versus the original.

No idea if they will include them in an existing MT or a new one at launch.

EvB

I'm following the game now

so you can get to the store page and pin, but it's still down as a Placeholder.

my tag is EvilBoris GX if anybody wants to grab it

YoshiMax

How does this work? I am on windows 10

There's nothing to grab so it doesn't matter. I did it earlier using an achievement Phil Spencer had unlocked then navigating to the game Hub from there. This is taking the piss a bit now it's after 7pm in the UK.

Hexer06

I'm relaxed (kinda) :p. Just sux waiting this long after it's been announced for today. I would have thought they would've sorted this problem out earlier. I guess loading it up and installing it for "Secret MS employees store" is different than the "consumer store."

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
My Injustice 2 got delayed by a day. This will take the sting out of that if it releases. One of my favorite games of all time. Really excited to get a new erase deck going.

Vic_Viper

Have they said why this is being released for free? I mean I know theres micro-transactions and all. Are they assuming they will make up for the development costs?

Zeta Oni

Have they said why this is being released for free? I mean I know theres micro-transactions and all. Are they assuming they will make up for the development costs?

Because of the history of the game.

It never had a chance when it was released, and the goodwill and potential profits from the MT's was worth making it free, since now it finally gets its time in the limelight.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
All speculation on my end. Probably a mix of:
  • Microtransaction model fits a TCG type game.
  • Just wanting to push this out the door without canceling it and receiving more ill will a la Scalebound.
  • Figured most people wouldn't pay for the smallest of small cult hits from over a decade ago with perhaps not enough improvements to really justify the "remaster" tag.

Vic_Viper

Not complaining in the slightest. Been looking forward to this for awhile now. Cant wait for it to hit the Win 10 store, even though I have had the worst experiences with it and Gears of war 4. Recore downloaded and worked fine day 1, but I still havent been able to download Gears of War 4 without problems. Phantom Dust shouldnt be an issue though since its not going to be 125 gigs lol.

Kent

Don't get the idea that this is a microtransaction-supported game like Hearthstone or something. It's not.

There will be one paid DLC, and that's to unlock all of the cards early. Noting that this is a game from 2004, and the normal means of unlocking them hasn't changed - that is, they were intended to be unlocked through just playing the game. It's purely a "hey, some people want to throw money at us so they don't have to unlock things normally, so let's let them" sort of deal.

The stated reason it's free is the same reason why Lost Odyssey was made for free when it went up for backwards compatibility: A gift for the fans. It's already been confirmed that it's only free for a limited time (but you get to keep it if you grab it for free).

Vic_Viper

Don't get the idea that this is a microtransaction-supported game like Hearthstone or something. It's not.

The stated reason it's free is the same reason why Lost Odyssey was made for free when it went up for backwards compatibility: A gift for the fans. It's already been confirmed that it's only free for a limited time (but you get to keep it if you grab it for free).

Oh that changes things lol. Not sure why places arent reporting that part.

Chris1

There will be one paid DLC, and that's to unlock all of the cards early. Noting that this is a game from 2004, and the normal means of unlocking them hasn't changed - that is, they were intended to be unlocked through just playing the game. It's purely a "hey, some people want to throw money at us so they don't have to unlock things normally, so let's let them" sort of deal.

It's only free for a limited time? Will make sure I get it then

Kent

Oh that changes things lol. Not sure why places arent reporting that part.

The singular paid DLC was mentioned in the Polygon interview from a couple weeks ago, and people latched onto "microtransactions," because that's a dirty word, and now the game is going to be free for its launch to people, and people decided that "if it's free, and there's microtransactions, that must be how they're planning to make money!"

It's a game of telephone, where the message was interpreted and distorted by people in sequence, before reaching Reddit and whatever other internet hubs as "a free game that's supported by microtransactions."

m23

The singular paid DLC was mentioned in the Polygon interview from a couple weeks ago, and people latched onto "microtransactions," because that's a dirty word, and now the game is going to be free for its launch to people, and people decided that "if it's free, and there's microtransactions, that must be how they're planning to make money!"

It's a game of telephone, where the message was interpreted and distorted by people in sequence, before reaching Reddit and whatever other internet hubs as "a free game that's supported by microtransactions."

Pretty sure it's free permanently.

Kent

I thought it had been stated that PD was free permanently.

I'm looking now and the only thing I'm finding regarding how long its gonna be free is the same tweet I shared yesterday:
There's a difference between confirming it's free forever and saying it won't be just free for one day.

It's free for an unspecified amount of time, and the last time a game was made free as a gift, it was ultimately temporary.

For real. Where the hell is it!? I've been waiting YEARS for this, goddamn it.

It shows up when you manually search on the Xbox app. It's titled Multiplayer Starter Pack.

"Hit the ground running online combat with the Multiplayer Starter Pack for Phantom Dust! Includes a 2-School Arsenal and over 30 strong, fundamental skills from the Psycho, Optical, and Nature Schools."

There's a lot more but I'm at work so my bullshitting time is rather limited.

Top Bottom