• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Learning Japanese |OT| ..honor and shame are huge parts of it. Let's!

Beckx

The Kodansha's Learner guide seems pretty good to me to learn Kanji from. The vocab for new Kanji only uses Kanji you've already learnt, which streamlines things and saves time, it sorts the vocabulary by meaning and it tells you which words are common and worth memorising. I'm about 500 Kanji in at the moment. Still 1,800 to go...

i've been tempted to pick up that book to supplement what i'm doing. right now i'm just using jisho to get the vocab and so i have no idea if i should really be wasting time learning things like つの for 角.

just to clarify, are you talking about the Learner's Dictionary or the Learner's Course? the latter seems like what i wish i had done instead of Heisig, but the former seems like maybe more use now.

StayDead

I agree with most of what you said but wut. うえ isn't written as 上え, it's just plain old 上。And I’ve seen 上 by itself plenty of times. Although you probably mean that it's more common to combine it with other words/kanji in which case I agree with you.

Yeah sorry that's what I meant, I just worded it very badly.

Nakho

Do you guys know any YouTube channel where it's just some Japanese person talking to the camera about anything, preferably with Japanese subtitles? Been watching Bobby Judo's videos, but he kinda noticeably has an accent (well, he's American, duh), so not that good for shadowing... and the subtitles are in English.

KayMote

Wow, thank you all so much for the very interesting and helpful replies! Really appreciated! :)

That pretty much showed me that for me personally it would be quite a terrible idea to tackle Kanji on my own with my own random approaches - I really think I will need a more streamlined way, so I won't wrestle too much and waste too much time with debating which of the readings I should learn and which I shouldn't. If you have no experience in the spoken and written and language at all it seems somewhat suicidal to decide for myself which Kanji readings I might need right now and which I don't (unless you have a super brain and can just learn everything right away).

I think I will go with the Kondasha's Learner Guide - I looked it up and it seemed to be just what I need. Combine that with extensive text reading and looking up words in the dictionary should bring in some results, I hope! :)

Lagamorph

Went to my first lesson last night and really enjoyed it. The teacher is a University teacher from Japan, so got the benefit of a native speaker to ask questions and help with things like pronunciation.

The focus was mainly on greetings and how to introduce yourself, say where you're from and what your job is, along with what to say before/after meals, basically how to be polite in day to day interactions.

I also learned that the Japanese language makes no distinction between "English" and "British", they're both Igirisu-jin. Scotland and Wales get their own words sure, but not us English.

I didn't get an opportunity to study Hiragana and Katakana before the lesson, but need to get on that now as our homework is to memorise and recognise the first 15 Hiragana, so a-so.
Does anyone have some good tips on methods for that? I've never really studied symbol recognition like this before.
The teacher did mention most of the focus would be on Hiragana during the course, with some Katakana but no real study of the Kanji. It is only a 9 week beginner course though so some compromises have to be made somewhere.

The teacher also recommended a possible book, Japanese for Busy people, specifically the Kana version rather than the Romanised version,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1568363850/
Anybody had any experience with this book or the writers?

The fact it comes with an audio CD seems useful to me as my commute to work is about 80 minutes each way, so some in-car audio learning could be useful.

Nachos

Kanji and the whiteboard method are straight up taking lives in that last page, RIP, Kilrogg post if you are okay
Speaking of which, I've been doing my own version of whiteboard, substituting Genki's kana vocab for the full kanji versions. It means I'm learning stuff like 国際関係 before some more essential things, but I'm having fun with it.

But is there much point in learning the kanji versions of words usually written in kana? I know 彼 can be read as かれ (dude) and あれ (yonder), but I don't know how archaic the second sense is. Was it used even 100 years ago?

There's a girl in class with who's always complaining when the teacher gives a an article written in Japanese (the class is like half English/half Japanese) and she never makes an effort to read it. "Oooh but it's too hard. I don't have enough vocabulary!"
Yeah no shit, then read the thing and pick up new words while doing so. Drives me nuts lol
And aren't you taking classes in Japan?

Can only speak to what worked for me, but what I did was that I got some graph paper, a hiragana table with stroke order (like this one), and started writing each character over and over, saying its corresponding syllable each time, so my brain would pair them. I ended up doing it across multiple days, but the characters got reinforced a little more each time. You could also go full Nama-sensei and write each one 50 times/day.

At some point, though, that's just going to be rote repetition. What really helped me solidify things was looking up actual Japanese sentences, so I could get at least some context for how they appear in real Japanese, even if I couldn't yet tell why they were there.

Do you guys know any YouTube channel where it's just some Japanese person talking to the camera about anything, preferably with Japanese subtitles? Been watching Bobby Judo's videos, but he kinda noticeably has an accent (well, he's American, duh), so not that good for shadowing... and the subtitles are in English.

99% of Japanese shows come with Japanese "subtitles" (they're called テロップ in TV lingo) out of the gate, including the news. They're not subtitles in the traditional sense that they show every single word the speaker says, but they do show the most important things the speaker is saying. They also "dress up" the テロップ to pretty good effect (like using decorative fonts). They're not only good for following along, they're also very good for practicing and learning kanji.

So I say, just go straight to the source: Japanese TV.

Beckx

I didn't get an opportunity to study Hiragana and Katakana before the lesson, but need to get on that now as our homework is to memorise and recognise the first 15 Hiragana, so a-so.
Does anyone have some good tips on methods for that? I've never really studied symbol recognition like this before.

two ways really:

(a) brute force: write it until you remember it, or (b) use mnemonic (like the Remembering the Kana book i mentioned earlier or this free one at tofugu). tofugu also has a full free guide. one point they make is super important: learn the pronunciations when you learn the kana. (btw you studied symbol recognition when you were a kid, you just don't remember learning the alphabet anymore :)

Tofugu doesn't have a review of Japanese for Busy people, but in their review of Genki they make a remark that suggests they don't like it.

The teacher did mention most of the focus would be on Hiragana during the course, with some Katakana but no real study of the Kanji. It is only a 9 week beginner course though so some compromises have to be made somewhere.

Congratulations on taking the first step to studying this beautiful yet maddening language! =D

Having a native Japanese teacher is great for honing pronunciation, although you don't really need a course to study hiragana, katakana, or even kanji.

I memorized all hiragana and katakana in two weeks during summer break using the brute force writing method a lifetime ago, with no study plan whatsoever. I only had a chart, so I didn't even know the correct stroke order. This was before the internet was a thing and I didn't know any better. A month later, I could "read," but very, very slowly. But that was OK because it was just a matter of finding material to practice with (I only had food labels to practice with in those dark days!)

Spaced repetition software makes memorizing kana much more streamlined, and with the wealth of available resources nowadays, your learning should be much more streamlined than mine was. Just a quick search on the app store turns up more than a dozen kana training apps. But make sure you practice handwriting, because while not knowing how to write kanji can be covered up by any number of excuses, not knowing how to write kana as a Japanese learner is *unexcusable*.

My advice, if you can manage to study more than the required 15 kana a week, do it. You only start really learning Japanese once you've gotten both hiragana and katakana down.

Nakho

99% of Japanese shows come with Japanese "subtitles" (they're called テロップ in TV lingo) out of the gate, including the news. They're not subtitles in the traditional sense that they show every single word the speaker says, but they do show the most important things the speaker is saying. They also "dress up" the テロップ to pretty good effect (like using decorative fonts). They're not only good for following along, they're also very good for practicing and learning kanji.

So I say, just go straight to the source: Japanese TV.

I tried watching some Japanese TV a while ago, but I could only find some sketchy streaming sites. Is it on some japanese Youtube equivalent? The ability to pause and rewind is too important to me.

Resilient

Google Japanese TV
Fifth hit is a reddit sub called Japanese TV
Download a Firefox or chrome plugin that downloads videos off daily motion or YouTube or whatever
Download VLC
Double click the video file

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Kanji and the whiteboard method are straight up taking lives in that last page, RIP, Kilrogg post if you are okay

Say what now? I'm still alive and kicking, brah.
Though I'll admit I'm skipping today, we were doing an afterwork party and I had to stay until late. I'm exhausted, going to bed. Thank God I don't have anything special tomorrow evening + the whole weekend to make up for tonight's laziness.

Despite this early hiccup, I'm quite pleased with how I'm able to keep this up for now. Self-motivation and self-study have never been my forte, but for once I feel like I can really do it.

Nakho

Google Japanese TV
Download a Firefox or chrome plugin that downloads videos off daily motion or YouTube or whatever
Download VLC

lol, I knew I would get some snark heh

Thanks! I try to avoid Reddit but it seems like the best way to go.

Hypron

Though I'll admit I'm skipping today, we were doing an afterwork party and I had to stay until late. I'm exhausted, going to bed. Thank God I don't have anything special tomorrow evening + the whole weekend to make up for tonight's laziness.

Despite this early hiccup, I'm quite pleased with how I'm able to keep this up for now. Self-motivation and self-study have never been my forte, but for once I feel like I can really do it.

Just keep in mind that at some point your writing list will grow out of control and you'll need to cull older words. I'm convinced expert is a mutant from outer space 'cause you'd need to write each word in 2 seconds without ever slowing down to finish a writing list of >5,000 words in 3 hours haha

I had trouble getting faster than 8 seconds / word. My best time was 7.3 s/word. Which means it'd have taken me 10 hours to write 5k words haha

Porcile

It's more like 2000 vocabulary words maybe 4000 kanji characters a day max. You don't need to write the whole list. I get what you mean though.

Beckx

so on the subject of learning "all the readings" or just two, etc.

yesterday i hit 覚 in my study. i already know the kanji from 覚える (おぼえる), but that's the only reading i had. so of course one of the readings is 覚ます (さます), to awaken. my first thought (having never encountered the word) was "i wonder how much this gets used versus 起きる?" but i figure it must get some use and it came up immediately on my phone w/ google keyboard (which tends not to suggest kanji for archaic or rare words), so i add it and learn it.*

today browsing twitter i see that the Yakult Swallows - who decided to sleepwalk through last season - have a new team slogan for 2017:

C2hzlxuXAAATpCM.jpg

ha! i love moments like this, where something would have been unreadable (and confusing) only a day before and now makes complete sense.

of course the flip side was a little while ago i did an intensive listening practice using the 読み書き編 for Genki II chap 20 and was completely baffled by the grammar in one sentence. :(

* (as an aside, it turns out i do have Kodansha's Kanji Learner's Dictionary, so now i actually have a resource to find sample vocabulary rather than Jisho & pray - though all the sample kun'yomi for 葛 (one of today's kanji) seem of, well, limited utility).

Resilient

you can do it. just dont skip any more days/add another 5 kanji per day for the next week to make up for the lost day.

Just keep in mind that at some point your writing list will grow out of control and you'll need to cull older words. I'm convinced expert is a mutant from outer space 'cause you'd need to write each word in 2 seconds without ever slowing down to finish a writing list of >5,000 words in 3 hours haha

I had trouble getting faster than 8 seconds / word. My best time was 7.3 s/word. Which means it'd have taken me 10 hours to write 5k words haha

drop 2 of the 3 words when you're 3/5 days past the day. EG at Day 5 you can write 1 word for Days 1 and 2, but D3, 4, 5 you need to write them all

8 seconds is way too slow, granted i had that fear at one point. after a month you should get fast enough, you also need to learn to write faster too.

Kanji is difficult. I used to learn them one by one, but I really get way more out of Kanji if I write them in a sentence. How I do it is take an article (I use satori reader) and copy out the whole article in Japanese then I translate it line by line over and over until I can say it in Japanese and say it in English. Here is an article I just finished learning:

明子の日記、留学一日目。

待ちに待った留学一日目。東京から直行便でアメリカのシアトルへ。ドキドキの一日だった。ホストファミリ-が空港まで迎え来てくれていて、さっきホスト宅に到着した。家の中を案内されて、夕食を一緒に食べて、私の部屋に案内された。ホストマザーのジンジャーさんとホストファーザーのスコットさん、二人ともすごく親切そう。二人の子供達も、とても可愛い!食卓での会話は英語が速すぎて全く理解できなかったんだけど、わたし、大丈夫なんだろうか?やっていけるんだろうか?超、不安。夢見てやって来たはいいものの、アメリカで一年間も!ひょえ~、とんでもないことをしたような気もする。でも、頑張らないと!今日は疲れたので、寝ます。

Sorry if it's a little difficult to read. I find this a much more effective way to learn Kanji and Japanese in general (at least for me).

Sapientas

I've been studying kanjis quite a bit these past months but, so far, I have no interest in actually writing them or learning stroke orders. My course apparently never tests it and neither does the JLPT, according to my teacher.
I obviously understand how practicing and writing texts can help a lot in learning the kanjis, but it feels wasteful for me, especially considering how easy it is to type in Japanese. Plus I really suck at drawing and my kanjis always come off horribly.

What do you guys think?

Hypron

you can do it. just dont skip any more days/add another 5 kanji per day for the next week to make up for the lost day.

drop 2 of the 3 words when you're 3/5 days past the day. EG at Day 5 you can write 1 word for Days 1 and 2, but D3, 4, 5 you need to write them all

8 seconds is way too slow, granted i had that fear at one point. after a month you should get fast enough, you also need to learn to write faster too.

When I say 8 seconds, that's the number I get when dividing time revised by the number of words, so it includes mistakes, checking answers, changing pages, etc. Granted the data is from October last year, so I might be remembering, but it didn't seem that slow to me. I can't write much faster in English without my writing turning into a mess.

Porcile

Kanji is difficult. I used to learn them one by one, but I really get way more out of Kanji if I write them in a sentence. How I do it is take an article (I use satori reader) and copy out the whole article in Japanese then I translate it line by line over and over until I can say it in Japanese and say it in English. Here is an article I just finished learning:

明子の日記、留学一日目。

待ちに待った留学一日目。東京から直行便でアメリカのシアトルへ。ドキドキの一日だった。ホストファミリ-が空港まで迎え来てくれていて、さっきホスト宅に到着した。家の中を案内されて、夕食を一緒に食べて、私の部屋に案内された。ホストマザーのジンジャーさんとホストファーザーのスコットさん、二人ともすごく親切そう。二人の子供達も、とても可愛い!食卓での会話は英語が速すぎて全く理解できなかったんだけど、わたし、大丈夫なんだろうか?やっていけるんだろうか?超、不安。夢見てやって来たはいいものの、アメリカで一年間も!ひょえ~、とんでもないことをしたような気もする。でも、頑張らないと!今日は疲れたので、寝ます。

Sorry if it's a little difficult to read. I find this a much more effective way to learn Kanji and Japanese in general (at least for me).

Why do you do the English translation? Not a criticism of what works for you, but I'm just wondering what purpose it serves at that point.

StayDead

Google Japanese TV
Download VLC

How did I never think of checking reddit for this. Those streaming sites are awful.

Why do you do the English translation? Not a criticism of what works for you, but I'm just wondering what purpose it serves at that point.

For me, it helps to translate it back into English. What I do is I write the article a day before, then the next day I translate it from memory. It really helps me to "seal" if you will, the Japanese into my brain. It's just an extra step I take. Everyone learns different.

Hypron

So apparently JLPT results for Japan are already out, and results for the rest of the world will be released later today. Hope you all did well!

N1ゲットしたぜ!

Language Knowledge (Vocabulary/Grammar) 33 / 60
Reading 48 / 60
Listening 31 / 60

Not thrilled with my score, but for what was intended as a trial run before the real deal in July? Holy shit! Unless I have scheduling issues I'll be planning to sit it again in four months. Expecting much better this time!

Hypron

N1ゲットしたぜ!

Reading 48 / 60
Listening 31 / 60

Not thrilled with my score, but for what was intended as a trial run before the real deal in July? Holy shit! Unless I have scheduling issues I'll be planning to sit it again in four months. Expecting much better this time!

Congrats, that's awesome! おめでとうございます。

Took my test in Berlin, Germany and can't even find where to check... I'm so curious (¯―¯٥)

I read that results will be released in 40 minutes.

I assume there will be a link in the "other countries" section of this webpage.

Edit: Results are out.

Passed N5 but did worse than expected in the reading part (83/120) and rubbish in the listening part (27/60), as expected.

Resilient

N1ゲットしたぜ!

Reading 48 / 60
Listening 31 / 60

good shit brother!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
N1ゲットしたぜ!

Reading 48 / 60
Listening 31 / 60

Who da man? You da man.

I definitely see where you're coming from. Believe it or not, I passed too back in the day, but my score was even lower than yours.

That said, I'm impressed by your reading score. That was always my weak point, but 48/60 ain't bad at all!

MrDaravon

Sooooo I want to try my hand again at learning Japanese again. About 10 years ago I had Heisig's (sp) Remembering the Kanji I along with his hana/kana book (which I forget the name of). I got the kana/hana down and made it maybe a couple hundred kanji in before I lost steam for a number of reasons (work, laziness etc) but it's always super bothered me that I dropped it, and one of my New Year's Resolutions was to try to pick it up again. I'm much older now which I know makes it harder to learn a new language but I want to at least keep at it since I feel like if nothing else having to study/work on something for the first time in nearly 20 years would be rewarding in of itself if nothing else.

The whole taking a college course/class route isn't viable for me for a lot of logistical and location reasons, so at least for now it would be self-study. Skimming a few different places/sources it seems like possible routes would be to pick up a book for kana/hana (of which there seem to be lots of options) then something like:

-Heisig's books
-Genki
-Japanese for Busy People
-Kodansha's Kanji Learner Course + Dictionary

I remember even at the time people seemed split on the Heisig method, I don't know if I personally got far enough in to really determine how well it would work for me one way or the other. Anyone have any particular recommendations? If nothing else Japanese For Busy People is dirt cheap on Amazon (~$10) so I could always grab that and go from there but I'm open to all kinds of suggestions!

Beckx

as a recovering Heisig patient, my current belief is that separating learning the kanji from learning the readings results in a massive waste of time.

i went through the whole method, learned everything, and yes, i can say i "know" the official list kanji in that i can recognize, write, and give a base meaning.

that "knowledge" is basically useless though since you can't read with it.

i am now going through the much more difficult process of getting all the readings for each of those kanji, and right now it makes the time spent on heisig feel so wasted. i've made a deck with all of the official list kanji, and for each card, i look up the kanji in the Kodansha Learner's Dictionary (discussed on this page) and add vocabulary for the readings. basically the front of the card is vocabulary illustrating all the readings, the back has the kana, english definition for the vocab. it was a pretty easy deck to make in anki. i'll be done by the end of the summer, barring major setbacks.

i don't know what the right answer is though. the guys here swear by the "whiteboard method" but that is a learning method & time commitment that do not mesh with my life. tofugu.com offers wanikani that essentially merges a variation of heisig with learning readings at the same time (but the downside is that it's a subscription service). kodansha publishes a learner's course that does the same thing - learn kanji plus readings.

as for the others, i have nothing but good things to say about genki I and II. i like a textbook for organized study and genki fit the bill. i'm ready to take the training wheels off and move to Tobira (all in Japanese).

read the links (maybe they're in the OP) about the whiteboard method (and the link to the listening method someone posted recently) because even if you're like me and don't want to use those, there's still a lot of useful information that will help you study.

the 3 Grammar books (Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced) are consider essential, but you can start with Basic

Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese is still free online and absolutely worth using as supplement to whatever text you use.

MrDaravon

as a recovering Heisig patient, my current belief is that separating learning the kanji from learning the readings results in a massive waste of time.

i went through the whole method, learned everything, and yes, i can say i "know" the official list kanji in that i can recognize, write, and give a base meaning.

that "knowledge" is basically useless though since you can't read with it.

i am now going through the much more difficult process of getting all the readings for each of those kanji, and right now it makes the time spent on heisig feel so wasted. i've made a deck with all of the official list kanji, and for each card, i look up the kanji in the Kodansha Learner's Dictionary (discussed on this page) and add vocabulary for the readings. basically the front of the card is vocabulary illustrating all the readings, the back has the kana, english definition for the vocab. it was a pretty easy deck to make in anki. i'll be done by the end of the summer, barring major setbacks.

i don't know what the right answer is though. the guys here swear by the "whiteboard method" but that is a learning method & time commitment that do not mesh with my life. tofugu.com offers wanikani that essentially merges a variation of heisig with learning readings at the same time (but the downside is that it's a subscription service). kodansha publishes a learner's course that does the same thing - learn kanji plus readings.

as for the others, i have nothing but good things to say about genki I and II. i like a textbook for organized study and genki fit the bill. i'm ready to take the training wheels off and move to Tobira (all in Japanese).

read the links (maybe they're in the OP) about the whiteboard method (and the link to the listening method someone posted recently) because even if you're like me and don't want to use those, there's still a lot of useful information that will help you study.

the 3 Grammar books (Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced) are consider essential, but you can start with Basic

Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese is still free online and absolutely worth using as supplement to whatever text you use.

Thanks for the response!

Your opinion on Heisig is kind of more or less what I was always afraid of when I jumped into it. It obviously works for a lot of folks but I'm not sure if it's for me necessarily. The whiteboard method doesn't really work for my schedule (I literally do not have that much time some days after work), but is probably something I would have definitely done 15-20 years ago.

Genki seems to be very popular (IIRC it's the top recommendation on reddit), but Kodansha also seems very interesting with it striking somewhat of a middle ground between Heisig and more conventional methods so I'm leaning towards one of those two.

What are the 3 grammar books you're referring to?

Beckx

Thanks for the response!

Your opinion on Heisig is kind of more or less what I was always afraid of when I jumped into it. It obviously works for a lot of folks but I'm not sure if it's for me necessarily. The whiteboard method doesn't really work for my schedule (I literally do not have that much time some days after work), but is probably something I would have definitely done 15-20 years ago.

Genki seems to be very popular (IIRC it's the top recommendation on reddit), but Kodansha also seems very interesting with it striking somewhat of a middle ground between Heisig and more conventional methods so I'm leaning towards one of those two.

What are the 3 grammar books you're referring to?

genki serves a different purpose, teaching you vocabulary and grammar. it's very hand-holding but i appreciated that at first. if you're going to take the book approach (like i do) you'll want a text for grammar/vocab and separate text for kanji. but you can totally skip buying genki at first to save money and just rely on Tae Kim's site for now.

the 3 grammar guides are the Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced Dictionary of Japanese Grammar. Basically just filled with exhausting detail on the grammar points for those levels. tofugu review here: https://www.tofugu.com/reviews/dictionary-of-basic-japanese-grammar/

I tried watching some Japanese TV a while ago, but I could only find some sketchy streaming sites. Is it on some japanese Youtube equivalent? The ability to pause and rewind is too important to me.
If you're okay with stuff that's only slightly sketch and don't mind paying, I can PM you a good place to start.

Japanese TV shows get uploaded to youtube as well but they are definitely not official 99% of the time and the quality is generally low video and audio wise. Might have to know the name of a show in particular to get the ball rolling of course. There are random live stream sites that have Japanese shows or TV going as well, once again unofficially so hard to know when its up.

You can also follow the Japanese news channels on youtube as they upload their stories through out the day in most cases. Be warned though News and anime ect. is very different from normal/casual Japanese speak on purpose. News is done to be very precise in explanation and pronunciation. anime and movies are acting. Variety shows would be better if you want mostly normal talking, but those with subs are few and far between, also filled with dozens of buzzwords and phrases (though I find these are good to know if you want to speak conversationally, especially with friends)

There are hundreds of "famous" youtubers in Japan so finding one that is watchable or what you want will take time to look through. Many are in the quick cut, internet meem, weird voice (sometimes unintentionally) sort though sadly. But you never know what you will find by perusing a few channels and getting the recommendations rolling in.

MrDaravon

genki serves a different purpose, teaching you vocabulary and grammar. it's very hand-holding but i appreciated that at first. if you're going to take the book approach (like i do) you'll want a text for grammar/vocab and separate text for kanji. but you can totally skip buying genki at first to save money and just rely on Tae Kim's site for now.

the 3 grammar guides are the Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced Dictionary of Japanese Grammar. Basically just filled with exhausting detail on the grammar points for those levels. tofugu review here: https://www.tofugu.com/reviews/dictionary-of-basic-japanese-grammar/

Ah okay that makes sense. So just as an example you could do something like Genki (Vocab/Grammar) + Kodansha (Kanji) and then supplement those two with the grammar guides, Kanji learner guide, websites etc? Can you tell I've never learned another language before? :p (I'm okay at ASL/SE but I feel like that doesn't count)

kubus

AbemaTV is an amazing resource for watching Japanese TV because they offer 30+ channels with all kinds of different programs. Problem is, like always, you need a Japanese IP. I guess there are workarounds for that...

In case you don't wanna bother with a VPN, they also upload stuff to their official YouTube page but I haven't checked that out yet so I don't know if it's interesting to watch. The quality is good, though: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLsdm7nCJCVTWSid7G_f0Pg

Forkball

N1ゲットしたぜ!

Reading 48 / 60
Listening 31 / 60

I'm confused on how the scoring for the JLPT works. I read that you need 19/60 for all three areas, but how are these points calculated?

Resilient

I'm confused on how the scoring for the JLPT works. I read that you need 19/60 for all three areas, but how are these points calculated?

To pass you need:

min. 19/60 for each part
Total score of at least 100/180

Questions are weighted. an information retrieval question (from a passage of text) is likely worth more than a Kanji reading question. Mileage varies though.

Beckx

lol, i was cheered up this morning reading that Abe misread a Kanji in the Diet and it ended up trending on Twitter.

Ah okay that makes sense. So just as an example you could do something like Genki (Vocab/Grammar) + Kodansha (Kanji) and then supplement those two with the grammar guides, Kanji learner guide, websites etc? Can you tell I've never learned another language before? :p (I'm okay at ASL/SE but I feel like that doesn't count)

yeah, pretty much. maybe some of the more advanced folks here can chime in with their thoughts on kanji. If i could do it over again, though, i'd start with the Learner's Course.

Nakho

Whiteboard people, how did you guys approach grammar with it? I'm having trouble knowing what would be important to put as a memory trigger (just a "____masu" thing or an example sentence too?). Do you guys also try to remember exceptions to a rule?

If you're okay with stuff that's only slightly sketch and don't mind paying, I can PM you a good place to start.

Sure, why not

Porcile

Whiteboard people, how did you guys approach grammar with it? I'm having trouble knowing what would be important to put as a memory trigger (just a "____masu" thing or an example sentence too?). Do you guys also try to remember exceptions to a rule?

Find a resource which covers all the grammar you need and then write out the English equivalents in a list. Obviously not all Japanese grammar points have an English equivalent so you could use an example sentence or word which perhaps expressing the same thing or something similar. Important thing is to pull the Japanese out of your head, so the less Japanese there is the better.

• only, just
• probably
• at, in
• I think, probably
• but, however
• there is (used for non-living things)
• there is (used for living things)

Something like that.

EDIT - Sorry, I should clarify. You need to write the Japanese grammar on the whiteboard. These are just your memory triggers.

Porcile

I didn't like I'm an experts method for grammar. Never clicked for me, so I ended up a failure. Works great for kanji though, no complaints there.

Resilient

This is a screen cap of my grammar writing list. You do 10 per day. Study the points beforehand, properly - use JGRAM or the 3 dictionaries, then create a list of English triggers, as Porcile said. Then, write them on the board. You're done for Day 1. Next day, study 10 new points, create a list of triggers. Write Day 1, then Day 2. Rinse, repeat.

ngrammar0njly.png

Answers:

から・・・まで
で
ながら
たい
たくない
~ることがある
~ないことがある
~てください
~ないでください
~てから
~たことがある
~たことがない
「私」は・が「人・学校・会社・国など」に・から「もの」をもらう
「人」は・が「私・私の家族」に「もの」をくれる

「人1」は・が「人2」に「もの」をあげる
~から
ことになる
ないことになる
かどうか
ようにする
~だす
「私」は・が「人・学校・会社・国など」に・から~てもらう
「人」は・が「私・私の家族」に~てくれる
「人1」は・が「人2」に~てあげる
「人」は・が「動物・植物」にーてやる
~始める
~終わる

A little late but I just passed N3. That's after doing Genki I and II in a classroom setting, but Genki II was done during my year in Japan. Also, I didn't study at all for two years between completing Genki I and starting Genki II.

I should be able to pass N2 in December. Hopefully I'll be in Japan at that time on the JET Program.

A little late but I just passed N3. That's after doing Genki I and II in a classroom setting, but Genki II was done during my year in Japan. Also, I didn't study at all for two years between completing Genki I and starting Genki II.

I should be able to pass N2 in December. Hopefully I'll be in Japan at that time on the JET Program.

Congrats. Hope you rock your interview.

Top Bottom