• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT2| I am altering the OT. Pray I don't alter it any further.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
tfw you finish a round of walker assault with 7 deaths and nearly 50 kills

Oynox

Balancing in Fighter Squadron is absolutely ridiculous! How the f* are the imperials supposed to keep up with X and A wings which have a shield?!

MADGAME

My first kid is due at the end of June, so I'm reeeeaaaallly hoping it drops at the very beginning of June.

Let me preemptively congratulate you, and I think if Bespin comes into this world before your first-born you should consider a Cloud City themed name :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
[team of absurdly good players congregating in their own party on one side]

This game really can be unimaginably shit at times. Situations like this just highlight how fucking broken the balance design is.

This game really can be unimaginably shit at times. Situations like this just highlight how fucking broken the balance design is.

I've found this to happen in pretty much every multiplayer shooter from time to time.

Hoodbury

I feel like an idiot, but I cannot figure out how to play as a hero. I just hit rank 13 and I see hero's all over the place from the very start of the match throughout. Is it just randomly one of the pickup's and I've just been unlucky and never got one, or do you have to be higher rank? Or is it something I'm missing completely?

5taquitos

I feel like an idiot, but I cannot figure out how to play as a hero. I just hit rank 13 and I see hero's all over the place from the very start of the match throughout. Is it just randomly one of the pickup's and I've just been unlucky and never got one, or do you have to be higher rank? Or is it something I'm missing completely?

In Walker Assault, Supremacy, and Extraction, you can find Hero pickups. Obviously things are different in the Hero modes, and Turning Point, Drop Zone, Cargo, and Blast don't have heroes at all.

Hoodbury

In Walker Assault, Supremacy, and Extraction, you can find Hero pickups. Obviously things are different in the Hero modes, and Turning Point, Drop Zone, Cargo, and Blast don't have heroes at all.

I've only played in the 40 player playmode so far. Mostly Supremacy. So it's just a regular looking pickup or do they look different? I can't believe I haven't seen one yet.

5taquitos

I've only played in the 40 player playmode so far. Mostly Supremacy. So it's just a regular looking pickup or do they look different? I can't believe I haven't seen one yet.

l3l6RvX.jpg

Edit: They also appear in preset locations, which means you have to be pretty lucky since most people will scoop them up as soon as they appear.

Orcus

Yes, and the fact that it's this far in development and hasn't been addressed is depressing. I think it finally took DICE LA to get team balancing in BF4, that or it was one of the last things they fixed before passing off support.

It's something that should be addressed at the same time as major balance issues are, because it just exacerbates existing balance issues, causes bad experiences for players, and causes servers to de-populate into a death spiral. It's ridiculous is hadn't been addressed yet.

Star Wars™ Battlefront™, a successful new franchise, sold in more than 14 million units in fiscal year 2016.

Also, I'm glad you posted this in here. The official thread for that news article is filled with... uh... let's just say I saw someone compare online stats from a game that came out YESTERDAY with Battlefront's current online players as a strike against Battlefront.

I think I got a nosebleed just from reading that.

Also, I'm glad you posted this in here. The official thread for that news article is filled with... uh... let's just say I saw someone compare online stats from a game that came out YESTERDAY with Battlefront's current online players as a strike against Battlefront.

I think I got a nosebleed just from reading that.

Just dumbass statements all around.

gaming side pretty much has green colored troll hair

5taquitos

Sweet, I'm psyched. My only real concern is time between this and Battlefield I (that's right, I used an "I" not a "1"). I don't have time for two main FPS games concurrently, I barely have time for one.

Well Battlefield 1 comes out this year, and Battlefront 2 comes out next year, so that shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Orcus

Well Battlefield 1 comes out this year, and Battlefront 2 comes out next year, so that shouldn't be too big of an issue.
Yeah, but I played Battlefield 4 a good solid two years before I moved on, and that was with the super frustrating launch and post launch issues. I'm hopping Battlefield I launches like Battlefront did. If it does, and it keeps that trademark Battlefield special sauce, then I can't see not playing it as my primary FPS for at least two years. Champagne problem and all.

MrDaravon

Played this for the first time since launch pretty much, some pretty obvious newbie questions but I'm not really sure where to find this information.

-Can you Partner with more than one friend? It seems like you can have 4 people in a squad (??) but there appears to only be room in the top UI for one Partner slot?

-On a related note, I when I was playing with my partner every game we always had a 3rd person on our squad (?) who also appeared yellow in-game like my Partner did, but on the leaderboard screen my Partner was green and the other random guy was yellow. Our 3rd person also changed every single game even though the same people were staying in the same game/side every game (aka they weren't leaving after the game). So does my friend being green on the leaderboard just indicate that he was in a party chat with me, or that he's my Partner? Outside of the green/yellow thing I really don't understand why we kept getting a 3rd random every game? If it was trying to fill out a squad I don't understand why we never got a 4th, and I don't know why it would change the 3rd person every game even when they stayed in? Am I missing something obvious here?

-Any tips for Walker Assault in general? My friend mentioned you could shoot the rebel snowspeeders on the last phase when they're tethering the walkers which I didn't know about, in general shooting fighters when you're on foot seems pointless.

-In-game people on your team appear with the blue dots at a distance/through walls correct? Is this always a thing, or is it some sort of power-up that has to be going or what? I was noticing it sometimes but not always, and even when I did see it I certainly wasn't seeing enough blue dots at any given time to represent my entire team. On another related note, what do the emblems you sometime see above player's heads (both ally and enemy) indicate? Like I once in a while saw someone with what looked like a medic icon, or the +1 charge lightning bolt icon over their head but nothing obvious was happening with them in-game. Just some sort of indication they have a buff/debuff happening?

-Any general build/loadout recommendations? I'm only Rank 22 so I don't have everything unlocked, but I'm using Scout which seems to be really good (it's really easy to manipulate people who count on radar too much). Blaster seems to largely personal preference, any of them super broken or good right now? Currently mostly using the RT-97C (?) Heavy Blaster, I like the DH-17 I like playing a more medium-range game and the DH-17 isn't as good at that. Card-wise I'm of course using Jet Pack with Ion Shot as my star card, and I think various grenades as my other card; for my cards I tend to use them more for anti-vehicle stuff except for the Jet Pack. I've heard Personal Shield is OP but I think I just unlocked that so haven't messed with it yet, any general recommendations? I don't have any of the paid DLC yet but I'll be picking that up on Friday.

PrankT

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong since I haven't had a party in forever.

Green means a player in your party, yellow is your partner. You can only spawn on your partner and you get a random partner unless you specifically choose a partner from your party list.

Orcus

I'll reply inline to your quote since it's easier on mobile.

Played this for the first time since launch pretty much, some pretty obvious newbie questions but I'm not really sure where to find this information.

-Can you Partner with more than one friend? It seems like you can have 4 people in a squad (??) but there appears to only be room in the top UI for one Partner slot?

You can only have one partner at a time unfortunately.

-On a related note, I when I was playing with my partner every game we always had a 3rd person on our squad (?) who also appeared yellow in-game like my Partner did, but on the leaderboard screen my Partner was green and the other random guy was yellow. Our 3rd person also changed every single game even though the same people were staying in the same game/side every game (aka they weren't leaving after the game). So does my friend being green on the leaderboard just indicate that he was in a party chat with me, or that he's my Partner? Outside of the green/yellow thing I really don't understand why we kept getting a 3rd random every game? If it was trying to fill out a squad I don't understand why we never got a 4th, and I don't know why it would change the 3rd person every game even when they stayed in? Am I missing something obvious here?

As best I can tell, that is a bug. If you leave your partner and reinvite them it goes away, and your partner it's always yellow.

-Any tips for Walker Assault in general? My friend mentioned you could shoot the rebel snowspeeders on the last phase when they're tethering the walkers which I didn't know about, in general shooting fighters when you're on foot seems pointless.

I would say find ways that you can contribute to the objective is the most important tip. I would also spend about 20 minutes watching some tutorial YouTube videos, it's helpful to have the video showing you while they are explaining it.

You can absolutely destroy ships as a soldier in the right situation. Equip ion shot, a decent long range blaster or alternatively, a Pulse cannon, and line up on ships coming towards you on a strafing run. You'll shred them. You can also use the ion rocket or pickup rocket to shoot and harass them.

-In-game people on your team appear with the blue dots at a distance/through walls correct? Is this always a thing, or is it some sort of power-up that has to be going or what? I was noticing it sometimes but not always, and even when I did see it I certainly wasn't seeing enough blue dots at any given time to represent my entire team. On another related note, what do the emblems you sometime see above player's heads (both ally and enemy) indicate? Like I once in a while saw someone with what looked like a medic icon, or the +1 charge lightning bolt icon over their head but nothing obvious was happening with them in-game. Just some sort of indication they have a buff/debuff happening?

The blue dots are your teammates. Of you don't see a bunch in front of you, look further back on the mail for all the people sniping with the pulse cannon. ;). In all seriousness, teammates tend to get strung out across the length of the map. Also, there might be a LOD, but I don't remember and would have to hop in to check.

The icons over enemies are a recently added feature that show the currently active card the player is using.

-Any general build/loadout recommendations? I'm only Rank 22 so I don't have everything unlocked, but I'm using Scout which seems to be really good (it's really easy to manipulate people who count on radar too much). Blaster seems to largely personal preference, any of them super broken or good right now? Currently mostly using the RT-97C (?) Heavy Blaster, I like the DH-17 I like playing a more medium-range game and the DH-17 isn't as good at that. Card-wise I'm of course using Jet Pack with Ion Shot as my star card, and I think various grenades as my other card; for my cards I tend to use them more for anti-vehicle stuff except for the Jet Pack. I've heard Personal Shield is OP but I think I just unlocked that so haven't messed with it yet, any general recommendations? I don't have any of the paid DLC yet but I'll be picking that up on Friday.

There will be lots of opinions here. The most common loadouts tend to be DH17 for a pistol, and EE3 or EE11 for a rifle. I like using the T21 when playing the mid/long game and the DH17 up short. There are a lot of viable choices, so play around with stuff, but the common ones i mentioned above are generally considered the most versatile/best choices. For your star card shield, explosive shot, and scan pulse are all common and good choices, but Ion shot can be really useful sometimes. You can't go wrong with scout for your trait card, and beserker it good in small modes. If you can stay alive while playing the objective then bounty hunter is also good. For the other cards play around, there are some fun combinations. Pulse cannon is op in comparison to most choices, and the grenades are both good now. This is where you'll get your most variety and fun in loadouts, so play around.

Orcus

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong since I haven't had a party in forever.

Green means a player in your party, yellow is your partner. You can only spawn on your partner and you get a random partner unless you specifically choose a partner from your party list.
Correct on all accounts, but green can also be a friend, at least on XBO.

MrDaravon

Yeah, what's weird is every game (and we played for a good 3 hours or so) my friend who was my Partner that I was in Party Chat with was always green on the leaderboard (but yellow in-game), but then we would also get an additional 3rd person that was yellow for both of us. If green just means they're your friend that would make sense except there was no way it was splitting me from my Partner every game, and spawning on Partner was putting me on him every time I noticed so now I'm confused lol. So does this game not have Squads at all then, it's just supposed to be one Partner? I thought maybe there were squads because I swear on one of the bootup multiplayer screens there's a section with 4 question marks and my friend/Partner's gamerpic was taking up one of the 4 ? spots.

Edit: looking online I'm seeing a tiny bit of chatter with people saying the same thing where their partner shows up as green in-game but they can still spawn on them etc, but it's all really old stuff and some later things seem to indicate that was fixed. I guess I'll see if it happens again. Just so I understand, how it should have worked it my friend who was my Partner should have been showing as yellow, and this other 3rd person that was showing as yellow should never have been there correct?

Also it looks like the ? slots I was talking about are the Party system where you can form a party of up to 8 (?) players, but they have to be your friends on that console and you can only Partner up individually, is this correct? Like, none of this is an enormous deal since I only really have one friend I'll be playing with but this seems like a huge unnecessary mess.

Orcus

Yeah, what's weird is every game (and we played for a good 3 hours or so) my friend who was my Partner that I was in Party Chat with was always green on the leaderboard (but yellow in-game), but then we would also get an additional 3rd person that was yellow for both of us. If green just means they're your friend that would make sense except there was no way it was splitting me from my Partner every game, and spawning on Partner was putting me on him every time I noticed so now I'm confused lol. So does this game not have Squads at all then, it's just supposed to be one Partner? I thought maybe there were squads because I swear on one of the bootup multiplayer screens there's a section with 4 question marks and my friend/Partner's gamerpic was taking up one of the 4 ? spots.

It's a bug. It happens to me and the guy that I play with about 10-20% of the time. It always persists over games. When it happens one of you will see the other as green and sometimes one of the partners will spawn on the correct person while the other will spawn on an automatically assigned partner. You can get rid of the issue by leaving your partner, sending a new partner request, and then having your friend accept it.

Also, on XBO, console party members automatically become BF party members.

This is what they said about it.

CiINrdoXEAU9fS6.jpg

So viscerals game 2018

Ok, so they didn't say flat out it's going to be BF II? It could be a large expansion for the og game?
And if we get a yearly Star Wars game, what are we going to get this year?
Anyway: good times for gaming Star Wars nerds like myself :)

MADGAME

Last night I played for a few hours and experienced frequent instances of dying without hit notifications. No weapon sounds or indications of any kind, just dead then kill cam. A wee bit frustrating.

I'm baffled why they gave up the chances of more than one person having an opportunity to be a hero in Hero Hunt (Wheel of Fortune) but are keeping the method of racing as fast as possible to pick someone in HvV.

Also, I thought I would have been excited to hear about a new Battlefront but at this point I'm not. Still waiting on content to make this game complete.

MrDaravon

Is it worth it to pay the 100 credits to change out Challenges? All 3 of the ones I have right now are total garbage and not happening. Do these ever rotate out automatically or am I stuck with them forever if I don't do them or pay to change?

Ozorov

Is it worth it to pay the 100 credits to change out Challenges? All 3 of the ones I have right now are total garbage and not happening. Do these ever rotate out automatically or am I stuck with them forever if I don't do them or pay to change?

Yes its worth it. 100 credits is nothing. They'll never change if you don't complete it or change it

Is the DLC worth it at all or is it going to be like BF4 where I can barely find any matches with the dlc maps being played? on Xbone btw

Orcus

Is the DLC worth it at all or is it going to be like BF4 where I can barely find any matches with the dlc maps being played? on Xbone btw
Right now I don't have any issues finding matches on XBO with their new menu. What it's like 6 months from now it's anyone's guess.

Top Bottom