• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt Red's financial results and strategy

matmanx1

Good for those guys and gals. They turned a fairly obscure Polish folk-hero into an International video game super-star in fairly short order and every single game in The Witcher series is better than the one that came before it. The Witcher 3 is definitely in my top 10 games, ever, and I have played A LOT of games.

I hope their level of excellence does not diminish and I wish them every success in the world.

So happy and proud of the team there. They put out incredible games and they're super dedicated to their craft. They deserve all the success.

I can not wait for Cyberpunk.

b0bbyJ03

well deserved. There are very few corporations that seems to understand their consumers but I'd say CDPR is at the top of the list of those that do, which is why I will continue to support them. Bought Witcher 3 and the expansion pack directly off GOG for full price, which I never do (it's just too easy to get sale prices on PC games), in order to put my money where my mouth is. I wish them continued success as long as they don't change their ways.

Alebrije

Well deserved , a developer that cares for the final user , one of the little that still offers a decent retail/Physical box with map on standard edition.

Hope they keep the good work , specially with Cyberpunk

Lime

In any case, I hope Cyberpunk 2077 won't be as white as Witcher 3. I hope CD Projekt Red took notice of the feedback and try to think more broadly and creatively when creating their huge AAA game set in a cyberpunk future.

tuxfool

Banned
In any case, I hope Cyberpunk 2077 won't be as white as Witcher 3. I hope CD Projekt Red took notice of the feedback and try to think more broadly and creatively when creating their huge AAA game set in a cyberpunk future.
Nah it will be totally white. Mike Pondsmith says so.

Since when has any cyberpunk setting not been a melting pot?

Ronin Ray

The board game it based on was created by a black guy so I think it shouldn't be a problem

Mindlog

Digital sales of the Witcher 3 - 31.6% representing 50.2% of the revenue
Not surprising yet still notable. Happy to see some success for CPR and I hope its shared by all its employees.
The Witcher 3 has revised their approach to Cyberpunk 2077. They are now aiming higher, going for a more revolutionary, more complex game.
I agree with all the sentiments expressed by that collection of words. Can't wait to play a sci-fi CPR game.

Nordicus

"It's a good thing this came to my attention because working with CDProjekt I would have completely forgotten to add racial diversity"
- Mike Pondsmith 2016
wKjJBLO.jpg

Lime

lol I completely forgot about the PnP - great to hear about the creator, thanks everyone, that makes me more excited

diamount

Banned
I wish we would get an updated split between Witcher 3 GOG vs Witcher 3 non-GOG (steam basically) units sold for the PC edition.

Well, they said 690k copies were activated through GOG as there is no Steam retail key. Steamspy shows 1.6 million owners. I don't know if GOG has release sales figures for GOG alone.

Fantastic developer. I love the respect they show to the medium and their fans. It's probably corny but the little note they put in the Witcher 3 game box made me really glad to have purchased the game. Thank god they are successful.

Definitely seems deserved. I haven't actually played any of their games (somehow just haven't gotten around to them), but I notice this thing happens with every AAA release where everyone on GAF hypes it to the moon and back, and then later on after it's out slowly people just start shitting on it endlessly. It happened with Fallout 4, MGSV, Arkham City...

But it definitely did NOT happen with The Witcher 3. I've never seen anyone talk shit about it, ever. I really need to get around to trying it out.

Also, whatever Cyberpunk 2077 ends up as, I definitely need it.

The you haven't been paying attention. Plenty of people ripped the game because of the combat system.

Misc:
- Share price increased by 353% in the last 4 years
- CDPR to buy back shares in the future

Now this is probably the ost important piece of information we got out of this whole presentation, and it is information that makes me pretty happy. Publicly traded companies that don't have enough control and too much responsibility to their shareholders already plague this industry. Good to see one company go the other way.

Kosma

Banned

I hope they do what they want and don't include anything cause a few americans try to dictate how a polish game should look

Witcher 3 is basically my dream game ... then comes Cyberpunk 2077.

Don't push MP and stick to your fantastic Witcher roots and you will have my money.

Did that seriously bother someone here? I fully expect C2077 to feature a wide range of ethnic groups, given the setting. But that insistance on fulfilling some racial minority quotas in every game is so backwards and pointless. Terrible new wave of SJW and other freaks with too much time I've seen lately.

adj_noun

Cyberpunk 2077 is definitely one of my most anticipated games. I really hope they let me have some role in who I play... I'd love the option to at least choose the gender of my character, if not full character customization.

That's the dream. It's based on a PnP RPG system, right? I'd love for this game to have a ton more character customization stuff than Witcher did.

Which, since you don't have to be Geralt this go-round, seems like it would be feasible.

I've been patiently waiting for Cyberpunk for years now and I'll keep waiting, I have a feeling it'll be my game of the generation.

CDPR is one of the few studio who I can say that they have a flawless track record, all their games are great and they're getting better and better as time goes on. I'm happy to see that things are working for them.

Skelter

Banned
Wow look at the revenue split for digital/physical, now consider that digital represented a third of sales, just shows how much profit and revenue is canabilized by the used game market.

Makes me glad I bought from them digitally, I've always believed its the best way to support the studios you like.

Digital future indeed.

Or just buy a digital and physical copy! I gave the cd keys to a friend.

Glad CDPR is in a position to buy back their shares. I want them to remain autonomous as long as possible. Still hoping for a Dune or Bladerunner RPG from them. If only.

Majestad

Banned
Over 20 million sold with only 4 games? Holy shit that's fucking massive. Well deserved.

Witcher 3 is one of the best games ever.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Very nice to see such a consumer-friendly corporation do so well in a market where nearly every other company is racing to nickel-and-dime you as much as possible. Oh, and it doesn't hurt their games are pretty good, too!

I hope they do what they want and don't include anything cause a few americans try to dictate how a polish game should look

Its a game that takes place in America based on a IP created by an American, we can't isolate everything. Just because they are situated more to the east doesn't mean they are outside the bubble other Europeans making games about the US like Rockstar are.

MadYarpen

Yup, they were distributing in Poland themselves, and if you bought the game directly from cdp.pl you got a limited edition steelbook, all for 30€. Based CDPR.

Exactly, I do have this steelbook. Also, I have Heart of Stones with physical gwent decks, so I do feel I did my part.

I'm waiting on station for Blood and Wine.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Did that seriously bother someone here? I fully expect C2077 to feature a wide range of ethnic groups, given the setting. But that insistance on fulfilling some racial minority quotas in every game is so backwards and pointless. Terrible new wave of SJW and other freaks with too much time I've seen lately.

I agreed with everything you said until you unironically used SJW as an insult..... you essentially pull your pants down and shit on your credibility when you do that :/. Shame, as I agreed with the general sentiment you were trying to convey but the gater lingo just forces the cringe.

Hypron

I don't know if they did it because of the feedback, but Heart of Stone has a couple of Indian looking characters (from a country called Ofir).

I don't think we have to worry about diversity in Cyberpunk.

Also TW has always been a very "Eurocentric" franchise. Non-white people exist in other parts of the world but are rarely encountered. TW1 has Azar Javed from Zerrikania (which sounds like a fantastical version of North Africa/the Middle East, just like the Northern Kingdoms are a fantastical version of Europe) and TW3 has the aforementioned Ofieri guys after the first DLC. Now, I think that there definitely was some space in the vanilla version of TW3 to have a couple of travelling merchants from one of those countries but the game shouldn't have tons of those characters if it took place in the northern kingdoms.

Daingurse

I'm really happy to see CD Projekt RED achieve this level success. I love the Witcher franchise, and it has been awesome to see them come so far. Bring on Blood and Wine and Cyberpunk 2077!

This is one the dumbest things I've read in regards to this game. People used 'source material' to justify the lack of diversity in the Witcher. Fine. But you can't now ignore source material when it comes to Diversity in Cyberpunk, a game that was centered around future America.

Top Bottom