• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 Review Thread

Blablurn

Metacritic: 84%

Trusted Reviews: FIFA 18 is simply magnificent. Streets ahead of what came before, and continuing its dominance over its rivals, EA has done a superb job. With huge improvements across the board, this is the game FIFA fans have waited five years for. While the offline offering may continue to lack the depth of NBA 2K18, but the continued improvements each year have culminated in a brilliant game this year. (9/10)

IGN: Work In Progress Review: Ultimately, FIFA 18 introduces enough new ideas to suggest it’s not sitting on the laurels of its success. However, it’s a simplified experience, one that fails to embrace the complexity of football at the highest level. Its focus on attack makes for spectacular matches, but they often feel like extravagant offensive training sessions than a proper match with depth and strategy.

Gamespot: It's off the pitch that EA excels. From the variety of game modes on offer and how everything's presented, to the constant updates in FUT's Team of the Week, Daily Objectives, and discussion of real-world happenings in commentary, FIFA 18 captures the world of football and confidently translates it into a video game. On the pitch, however, EA's soccer series is still lagging far behind PES 2018's more fluid, satisfying football. This year's improvements are welcome, but more needs to be done in the coming years if FIFA is to be a world-beater once again. (7/10)

The Telegraph: FIFA 18 review - A significant improvement on the pitch

Forbes: 'FIFA 18' Review: The Most Complete Football Experience (9/10)

GamesRadar: FIFA 18 review-in-progress: "PES won out last year - now EA has closed the gap"

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Need impressions of the Switch version and how it stacks up compared to the other versions.

Un4

Wow @ that last paragraph of the Gamespot review.

Based on the demo gameplay, i agree. Presentation is top notch but on the pitch it is subpar compared to PES 2018.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wow @ that last paragraph of the Gamespot review.

Based on the demo gameplay, i agree. Presentation is top notch but on the pitch it is subpar compared to PES 2018.

It's also very clear from that review that he played with all the assists on.

Gotta agree with Gamespot. Presentation is great but the actual act of playing a match is bad. This is a step up from the horrible 17 though, so good job?

Rodelero

I wonder if these reviewers actually play the games in question. Some of these reviews feel like they've been randomly generated because there is simply no way the gameplay has significantly improved, and the notion that the gap between FIFA and PES has been closed is hilarious - it stands up to no scrutiny whatsoever.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm wanting to pick it up purely because my team's stadium is going to be in it this time.

And I won't have to slog through a season in the Championship to play us in the PL. Wanting to get it on Switch but that depends on if it has those features or not.

farisr

I have never heard the term "streets ahead" and also, the word "street" should be banned from Sports game reviews unless they are featuring a street mode or the review is for a street variant of the sports games.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Need impressions of the Switch version and how it stacks up compared to the other versions.
Super low latency in handheld mode will already make it a winner. Moreso knowing it's in 60fps with current animations. This summer previews said the pace of the build they played was a bit faster than console versions. No journey will cost points, but portability will be a big highlight.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I wonder if these reviewers actually play the games in question. Some of these reviews feel like they've been randomly generated because there is simply no way the gameplay has significantly improved, and the notion that the gap between FIFA and PES has been closed is hilarious - it stands up to no scrutiny whatsoever.

What are you talking about? The gameplay has significantly improved. Even the Gamespot reviewer who gave it a 7 admits that.

The first touches, the movement, the passes (on manual at least), the actual difference in skills between the players, the crosses, AI, there's no longer that horrible input lag - all these improved compared to FIFA 18.

Super low latency in handheld mode will already make it a winner. Moreso knowing it's in 60fps with current animations. This summer previews said the pace of the build they played was a bit faster than console versions. No journey will cost points, but portability will be a big highlight.

marc^o^
Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
(Today, 09:46 AM)

MadMod

Im a yearly fifa player, the thing is that I really want the defense of the game improved. Its much easier to attack than defend, which is the complete opposite in real life! Usually I get this for the roster update on Ultimate team. Probably check out the Hunter story, really gotten away from manager mode, as it seems like its an oversight for EA mostly.

Only had one game so far in Career Mode and it really does feel like a small improvement. The dribbling and crossing are better, but PES 2017 (haven't played the retail version of 2018 yet) feels much better still.

I hate that they've incorporated The Journey style cut-scenes in contract negotiations, so unneccessary. You can skip once you've answered/proposed an offer, but it can skip out on question/response and doesn't seem realistic, as I got both Sanchez and Ozil to renew their contracts for less money than they were currently on! It does quicken negotiations over 17, as you get a response straight away, but the cut-scenes are slow.

Training's still rubbish as well, I'd rather create set routines for all players at once for the season, rather than 5 at a time, every in-game week.

Overall, nothing to change my mind-set about waiting for it to hit the EA Vault.

Edit - Looks like they've improved the laggy menus, it was horrific the last 2 games.

I think it is much improved this year. From playing it on Origin Access I've had a great time. I am usually a strictly online player because of the atrocious AI in previous games but I can see my self playing a lot of offline this year too. Gameplay feels a lot more organic too.

AzaK

Anyone now if there will be a demo for this? Never bought a FIFA game so I have no idea if they tend to do that? I'd like to try on Switch first.

HotHamBoy

giphy.gif

UrbanRats

Bit of Fifa Street in there. 10/10!
Oh, i really want a new, proper FIFA street.
Probably the only thing that would make me consider Fifa over PES.

The last FIFA Street on 360, was the most frustrating game i've ever played, with absolutely horrible AI, but i still played a ton of it.

UrbanRats

I swear, some PES fans are like Jevohah's witnesses. Queue any FIFA thread ... knock, knock, knock ..."Excuse me, sir, do you have a moment to talk about our lord and saviour, PES?"

Lol, but it's reasonable, there are only 2 football series, and quality wise theyre constantly toe to toe.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Lol, but it's reasonable, there are only 2 football series, and quality wise theyre constantly toe to toe.

It's reasonable when it brings something to discuss. That post was the definition of a drive-by shitposting. Didn't include any arguments or details about neither FIFA 18 nor PES 2018.
Plus, always when this discussion comes, the bad aspects of PES are always left aside up until a month after release when everybody agrees that "this shit needs to be patched" which almost never happens, but that's another topic.

NHale

Disappointed that reviews don't mention the gambling system and holding back the "on disk" content for money.

Are you talking about the silly EA catalogue/FUT packs or have EA introduced some extra shitty microtransactions this year?

Facism

do you still have to back out of lobbies and go through 15 different menus to change your online pro's position when playing online clubs with friends?

Top Bottom