• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 4 Leaks [Update 3: 170 New Leaked Images]

Ill quote myself since thats last post of 8 page, so everyone can see it.

Judging by character details it seems it definitely is "hell on the earth" and is doom 4. Too bad, it doesn't look good at all. I hope those are early, concept or whatever, screens.

The bigger news here is that Dark Souls might be released on PC.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Those can't be pictures of DOOM 4. They're not dark enough.

VmFeX.jpg

The first pic is from the Chasm in Doom 2. Funny joke though!

Doom 2 came out almost 10 years ago and you're expecting people to remember what the cutscenes in it said and what the level names were?

I played through Crysis 2 a few weeks ago and I already can't remember anything about that game's story!

Well I'd personally expect people to have more than a vague recollection of what the game was like if they're going to be so adamant in comparing it to the new one. Does that seem fair?

Doom 2 took place on earth. It doesn't matter whether it was an accurate representation or if anyone remembers anything about it.

Grinchy

Banned
Doom 2 came out almost 10 years ago and you're expecting people to remember what the cutscenes in it said and what the level names were?

I played through Crysis 2 a few weeks ago and I already can't remember anything about that game's story!

Isn't it almost 20 years ago? Wiki lists Doom 2 as releasing in 1994, and I remember playing it as a kid. I do agree though, it's ridiculous for him to "call out" people who don't remember random cut scenes or awful story text in a shooter from their childhood. I practically lived inside of Doom 2 on our old Packard Bell and I don't remember any of that shit now.

IMO those shots do not look like a Doom game in the slightest. The fact that Doom took place on Earth even though it looked nothing like Earth does not make those screens look any more like Doom.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
IMO those shots do not look like a Doom game in the slightest. The fact that Doom took place on Earth even though it looked nothing like Earth does not make those screens look any more like Doom.

Would it help if I shopped in some hell knights and cacodemons?

squidyj

You're no Rodney McKay, that's for sure.

Raide

The game will live or die based upon how awesome the shotgun is. :D

Those shots look pretty good, especially if they make the encounters more like Doom 1 and 2, not like 3. No cover system, no reloading, just shoot stuff.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Poimandres said:
I can't really see them throwing away all of those environments.
Plenty of released projects have thrown away more then that - if you're losing your lead designers, it's not unheard of for direction to take a complete 180 in all aspects, including visually.

scitek

Wasn't Bethesda hoping id tech 5 would be their Frostbite 2.0? It honestly just looks like a huge mistake at this point to me. It was impressive a few years ago, but it took too long to hit the market and looked dated the second it did. I wonder if they're taking Carmack's admittance that they shouldn't have focused on consoles first to heart and going from the ground up on the PC.

Grayman

Quite a sad thread to read. Doom is a game I would rather see go away if not done in my own imagination of right.

The screenshots look like they will not flow as Doom maps.

MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It damn well better not be cancelled'!!!!!!!

(looks at screens)

Ok, I get it. Doom 3 was a sequel yet remake of the original, so in this state, Doom 4 was to be a pseudo-remake of Doom 2 : Hell on Earth...

EDIT: beaten to the point many times over...

Zeliard

Well I'd personally expect people to have more than a vague recollection of what the game was like if they're going to be so adamant in comparing it to the new one. Does that seem fair?

Doom 2 took place on earth. It doesn't matter whether it was an accurate representation or if anyone remembers anything about it.

I dunno that most people are misremembering it the way some of you are trying to paint it.

The thing about Hell on Earth is that it is - by its nature - apocalyptic fiction. I think most of those people just don't want another game with some "destroyed beauty" sort of look, as these screens indicate, especially since Rage and various other games this gen are already similar to that. I think the setting can potentially be done very well if the sound and level design are on-point and id hasn't lost the ability to create memorable Doom monsters.

Who knows what to make of these screens? I imagine it will look a lot more graphically spruced up if not completely different when it's actually out. It's unfortunate if these are signs of a troubled development, but maybe that'll lead to a better game in the end.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I dunno that most people are misremembering it the way some of you are trying to paint it.

The thing about Hell on Earth is that it is - by its nature - apocalyptic fiction. I think most of those people just don't want another game with some "destroyed beauty" sort of look, as these screens indicate, especially since Rage and various other games this gen are already similar to that. I think the setting can potentially be done very well if the sound and level design are on-point and id hasn't lost the ability to create memorable Doom monsters.

Who knows what to make of these screens? I imagine it will look a lot more graphically spruced up if not completely different when it's actually out. It's unfortunate if these are signs of a troubled development, but maybe that'll lead to a better game in the end.

I totally agree with like, everything you've said in this thread. I'm really just railing against the overwhelming negativity around this whole thing. Honestly I love the labyrinthe and abstracted nature of the original game's maps and the disjointed 'otherness' it instills, but I find the notion that "Doom shouldn't take place anywhere that looks like Earth" despite the most highly regarded game in the series being set there to be fairly preposterous. It's like people actually expected it to consist of nondescript 90 degree rooms and random collections of geometry. It either looks too good or it doesn't look good enough. :p

I'm not arguing that it couldn't be done 'better' but we really haven't seen anything that can justify some of the criticism. For all we know these shots are from the first hour and afterwards everything turns into a twisted labyrinthe hellscape full of locked doors and keycards! I don't think that, outside of the monster design, the series exactly has a particularly strong or iconic art direction that people can really say, "this is Doom!" It will really come down to how well they nail the monsters and gunplay.

Rage was pretty awful, and though Doom 3 wasn't all that great, I enjoyed the look of it at least. (So yeah, the fact this resembles Rage is unfortunate).

They should have just made a hardcore shooter out of Doom 4. Screw keeping up with the times, just do what you did best.

Doom 3 is a very good game. It was just too convention for its own good, but given how different the great FPSs of yesteryear are from what "good FPS design" means to most of today's developers, that didn't surprise me.

The bigger news here is that Dark Souls might be released on PC.

Good lord I would be so happy.

I mean, I wanna play Demons' Souls first, but man... that would be amazing.

Madrical

Banned
Good lord I would be so happy.

I mean, I wanna play Demons' Souls first, but man... that would be amazing.

Wut? What does this have to do with Dark Souls on PC? What have I missed!?

In before thisifneogafdude.gif, but you people are never fucking happy. Doom 4 set on earth would be amazing, I loved Doom II (and yes, I cheated my way through the game.. only for extra weapons and such though!) and would love to see a fully realised "hell on earth". The screenshots, while not technically the greatest thing ever, aren't bad and some of them are downright impressive.

If they're real, and it's gonna be set on earth, consider my hyped. I loved Doom 3 up until I got bored as fuck retreading the same corridor over and over and over and over. Never played the expansion though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wut? What does this have to do with Dark Souls on PC? What have I missed!?

In before thisifneogafdude.gif, but you people are never fucking happy. Doom 4 set on earth would be amazing, I loved Doom II (and yes, I cheated my way through the game.. only for extra weapons and such though!) and would love to see a fully realised "hell on earth". The screenshots, while not technically the greatest thing ever, aren't bad and some of them are downright impressive.

If they're real, and it's gonna be set on earth, consider my hyped. I loved Doom 3 up until I got bored as fuck retreading the same corridor over and over and over and over. Never played the expansion though.

Just this. In other words, not much.

raiot

Why do i always get this feeling that most of the people "disappointed" by the rage style (Rage and those new Doom4(Doom2)) Screenshots have never experienced id releases before quake 4...
Most of the time i see false expectations from ultra hyped people that never played the old games...

It is as Luka said, Doom2 played on earth, it played in citys but what do you think buildings looked like? They were just grey textured boxes and you had to actually use your fantasy to accept it as a city today!

Melchiah

Well, color me excited! I loved Doom 3 and its atmosphere, hopefully the 4th one will have horror elements as well. Somewhat surprised about the open environments though.

Madrical

Banned
Just this. In other words, not much.

Hmm, fair enough. Still, interesting that they want to get in contact with him. Not sure why that'd be the case.

They were just grey textured boxes and you had to actually use your fantasy to accept it as a city today!
Hah, yeah. If there wasn't text basically saying "YOU ARE IN A CITY" before you reach the city, I wouldn't have realised where the frack I was.

...now I wanna play Doom 2.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ah dis gonna be gud

edit: argh, 20 minutes to download, it's gonna be deleted by the time this ends!

Doom 2 came out almost 20 years ago and I know I'm absolutely expecting people to remember what the cutscenes said, or at least to remember what the gist of it was! Shit, I remember all the cutscenes in Doom 1, too(which I still think is the game with the better level design).

Also, I expect people to not necessarily remember all the levels, but to remember the names of the levels they loved and/or the levels that were total assholes (I'm looking at YOU, Mt. Erebus, Slough of Despair...and basically all of Doom 1 Ep. 4).

Also yes, Doom 4 is supposed to be Doom 2 remade just like Doom 3 was Doom 1 remade. So basically, we should get Doom 3 with different levels and a super shotgun. >_>

Doom 2 came out almost 20 years ago and I know I'm absolutely expecting people to remember what the cutscenes said, or at least to remember what the gist of it was! Shit, I remember all the cutscenes in Doom 1, too(which I still think is the game with the better level design).

Also, I expect people to not necessarily remember all the levels, but to remember the names of the levels they loved and/or the levels that were total assholes (I'm looking at YOU, Mt. Erebus, Slough of Despair...and basically all of Doom 1 Ep. 4).

Also yes, Doom 4 is supposed to be Doom 2 remade just like Doom 3 was Doom 1 remade. So basically, we should get Doom 3 with different levels and a super shotgun. >_>

at the very least it's fair to expect people to remember the full title of the game.

DarkChild

Banned
Mega textures are failure. Its very hard for me to say, but, JC was wrong and endangered the entire company with his tech this gen.

Top Bottom