• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Chasers Nightwar |OT| Party Like its 1998!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Anyone else have an issue where enemies that you KO don't leave and instead follow you around the dungeon attacking you? It's very irritating.

if its skeletons its because there is a lich nearby summoning them

jrcbandit

I feel bad to let them rot :(

Is it possible to rotate them around?

I think it would be silly and time consuming/frustrating to try to keep everyone leveled similarly. What some people do is let them all lag way behind and then bring the low level character to the arena or wherever and level them. In any case, I would just completely drop the mage. I'm trying to figure out if I want to keep leveling Gully or Alumon, but he doesn't have his taunt skill yet.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I feel bad to let them rot :(

Is it possible to rotate them around?

if you want to turn a 40 hour game (and thats stretching it) into a 60 hour game, sure?

its completely not needed tho, there is never a "fuck I lost access to this party member and now im forced to use another" scenario like some games do.

Btw I loved at the end when the last boss goes
"Alumon have you told your friends you use BLOOD MAGIC LIKE A BADDIE? GASP!", Garrison almost channels the player and goes "yeah we figured that out mate"
lol

Z3M0G

Picked up the game last night. It's beautiful. Didn't get to really sink my teeth into it yet... just about 10 min to get past the very first battle.

Funny what lead me to this was two buddies poking fun at the trailer saying it looks like a Diablos style ARPG then does a "bait-and-switch" and went into turn-based combat... (one of them being quite a hypocrite since he enjoys turn based combat just fine). I was curious what they were talking about and I found the game looked STUNNING!

Now I'm even interested in the comic... I didn't know about that until I saw the OP.

I hope the game does these characters justice...

Exentryk

Finished the game. Nice simple ending, and loved the
teaser about a sequel.

sup6x7C.jpg

Loved:
  • Comic book Style Cutscenes
  • Artstyle
  • Character Designs
  • Voice Acting
  • Combat System
  • The animations and the weighty attacks
  • Detailed Ability/etc Information - I hate it when games are vague about abilities like "this increases damage when player is at low health". Tell me exactly how much damage in being increased (10%, 20%, etc.) and at how low health (30%, 50%, etc). This game is so good it outright tells you how much damage the ability will do, haha. I LOVED this.
  • Hold L2 button to see status buff/debuff information. Fantastic idea!
  • Encounter Design - Every area had new interesting enemy combinations/buffs/mechanics that kept players on their toes. Good stuff!
  • The Speed of Blinkstations

Didn't love nor dislike:
  • World Map being on rails. Might have preferred completely open. The map also felt flat, so perhaps they can give it some better effects so it looks like it has depth.
  • Three different DoTs in the game do the same thing (Bleed, Ignite, and Poison) and deal the same damage. Perhaps consider either merging them into one effect, or distinguishing them. Doesn't bother me too much though, but the game should always aim to keep the needless complexity to a minimum.

Disliked:
  • Not enough story - All the story cutscenes in the game combined together wouldn't even break 10 mins, most probably. I loved watching these comic book style cutscenes with special effects. I just want a lot more of them. :D
  • No big cities/towns/etc to explore and barely any NPCs to talk to. I understand budget reasons might be to blame here, but understand that I would love to see this stuff in a sequel if at all possible.
  • Not enough character development or even backstory - Having not read the comics, I didn't really learn much about the characters. There were some scenes at the inn, but we need a LOT more than this. Perhaps some character specific quests where they might elaborate on their past would have worked. Not sure if this was budget reasons though.
  • Non-Party Members not getting EXP - How are developers still making this grave mistake in
    2017? Someone make a new thread.
  • Non-Party Members not being accessible even to change their equipment, perks, etc., until you swap them in. This is way too tedious and a big oversight. Even if we can't swap to them anywhere, no reason why they can't be shown in the menu at least.
  • Randomised dungeons and randomised items/things within them. Need some important item to complete a side quest? Well, good luck running through the dungeon multiple times coz who knows when you'll find your required item.
  • Design choice of replaying dungeons for better loot/EXP/money. I only completed dungeons on Heroic, and didn't do a single Legendary run. Replaying the same dungeon is so boring, and you can't expect everyone will want to do it.
  • Above point leads on to another problem - balancing EXP for both sets of players (ones that don't replay dungeons, and ones that do).
  • Loot focus. I don't care for picking up 27 different things in every room, and each of them being mostly insignificant things like 5 money, 2 common parts, etc. JRPGs don't have this, and usually have important items only in dungeons like some new equipment, or large amounts of money in one chest. Less is more.
  • Level locked Equipment - Get rid of it. It discourages players to try and craft stronger weapons. Allow the players the freedom of if they can find and obtain higher level weapons, reward them by letting them use those weapons.
  • Equipment Tiers - This is just adding needless complexity. Oh I picked up a Broadsword. But I picked up another Broadsword two mins ago. Oh that one was green and this one is blue. Um.. which one is better? Oh I picked up a purple Broadsword now. I guess you get the point. Just make different unique weapons for each level.
  • Lack of QoL features - Need features like speed x2, auto-battle with last sequence of commands, auto-battle with just basic-attacks, skip burst animations for player characters, etc.

Overall though, I really enjoyed the game.

I would love to see a sequel with perhaps a bigger budget that has a larger focus on the story and character building and less on the dungeon crawling and loot. It seems like you can tell endless stories in this world, and I really hope this takes off as a game series. Perhaps this artstyle can also be converted into motion (like how that Dragonball Z Fighters looks, or how Ni no Kuni 2 is doing a 3D animated style), but I understand this might be too costly. Anyway, I'm getting carried away.

Let me finish this off with a nice gif!

UnhappyEvilAfricancivet-max-14mb.gif

Begaria

I'm definitely feeling the negative towards RNG dungeons. Running the first dungeon several times to get an event to spawn only to make that event trigger ANOTHER event in a different dungeon that is RNG was terribly boring.

Edit: yeah this RNG is really starting to piss me off and bore me - trying to get one more ancient ghoul fang for the hunt and I've ran the dungeon six times now and only got 2.

KiraXD

I think it would be silly and time consuming/frustrating to try to keep everyone leveled similarly. What some people do is let them all lag way behind and then bring the low level character to the arena or wherever and level them. In any case, I would just completely drop the mage. I'm trying to figure out if I want to keep leveling Gully or Alumon, but he doesn't have his taunt skill yet.

Ive been doing just that, i got everyone to 17, now i have to get my off-team to 22... I love playing the off team since its so different, my main team is Gully, Alumon, and Garrison.

Finaika

Is it just me or does Knolan sucks?

Finally got the time to finish the game. Got a couple legendary weapons at the end and decided to just go for it. Died several times to the last boss, but managed to beat it with some luck. Time Warp, once again, saved the day multiple times.

<3 Knolan.

Debating if I want to do NG+ right away, may come back to it. Either way, I'll be there day one for any DLC and the sequel.

Is it just me or does Knolan sucks?
He sucks for sure until you get Arcane Storm, then he becomes just okay. Once he gets Time Warp he becomes pretty good depending on the team you have. If you want raw damage output (ala Garrison) he will not satisfy you even at endgame.

If you want some control over enemies, as well as very strong support skills, he's grand.

I beat the game with Calibretto/Knolan/Alumon, anything is possible.

KiraXD

The game crashing on PS4 has gotten out of hand. I'm going to wait for the patch before I play again.

It was regular enemies. I restarted the game and that fixed it.

The patch is out... Save corruption and crashes has been fixed. Theyre still working to make it even more stable, but ive been playing all day with no issue.

I've been playing through this, and I'm having a great time so far! It's probably been mentioned to death, but the environments and animations are simply beautiful. I'm really loving the amount of specialization that I can have with my party members--giving them certain perks on the perk tree, certain enchantments, certain equipment--it's really good!!

I just had Red Monika join my party, and I'm still making my way through the main story while mucking around with the side quests. I look forward to getting Alumon into my party, since then my party of Gully, Alumon and Monika will be complete~!

I am looking forward to continued playtime with this~!

Z3M0G

Got through my first dungeon (Tried on Hard first but NOPE). Getting a sense of how this game will flow...

Unless things take a major turn for the worst somehow, this will most likely be my GOTY. I love finding unexpected gems like this...

Questions:

- Is dungeon random every time you replay on same difficulty?
- Do you always get a loot chest at the end?

If so... hot damn that's exciting!!

jorgejjvr

Got through my first dungeon (Tried on Hard first but NOPE). Getting a sense of how this game will flow...

Unless things take a major turn for the worst somehow, this will most likely be my GOTY. I love finding unexpected gems like this...
Man... Can't wait

Do we have a switch window of release?

Man... Can't wait

Do we have a switch window of release?

I was thinking the same thing. I believe they said they were waiting for some sort of update to Unity, and I did recently see something about an update for Unity that related to the Switch, so I wonder if that is what they needed or if it's still TBD?

Z3M0G

I hope my buddy gets this for his Switch when the day comes... I wish I had a Switch with this right now since I'm mainly playing over Vita remove play...

Maddrical

Questions:

- Is dungeon random every time you replay on same difficulty?
- Do you always get a loot chest at the end?

- I think so, though there appears to be some set rooms.
- So far I have but I'm only 3 dungeons deep.

Dungeons are very fun. The only problem I have with the game at the moment is that I'm struggling to switch out Gully & Calibretto. I just found
Knolan
and tried to swap Calibretto for him but got destroyed without heals. Gully seems 100% crucial purely for taunt, and Calibretto's heals seem super important too. Only Garrison seems replaceable but he's my favourite design so I don't want to.
Knolan
has some sweet skills that I'd like to make use of but I don't know how to fit him in.

Still, enjoying the game a lot. Some of the dialogue is really bad but I'm enjoying the lore you find in dungeons. It's really making me want to replay Valkyria Chronicles which is the last JRPG-esque game I played which was like almost a decade ago.

Finaika

- I think so, though there appears to be some set rooms.
- So far I have but I'm only 3 dungeons deep.

Dungeons are very fun. The only problem I have with the game at the moment is that I'm struggling to switch out Gully & Calibretto. I just found
Knolan
and tried to swap Calibretto for him but got destroyed without heals. Gully seems 100% crucial purely for taunt, and Calibretto's heals seem super important too. Only Garrison seems replaceable but he's my favourite design so I don't want to.
Knolan
has some sweet skills that I'd like to make use of but I don't know how to fit him in.

Still, enjoying the game a lot. Some of the dialogue is really bad but I'm enjoying the lore you find in dungeons. It's really making me want to replay Valkyria Chronicles which is the last JRPG-esque game I played which was like almost a decade ago.

Knolan's
heals sucks compared to Calibretto. He does get better as he levels up though.

I'm finding Red Waifu is an interesting, if not good replacement for Gully as an evasion tank.

Maddrical

Knolan's

I'm finding Red Waifu is an interesting, if not good replacement for Gully as an evasion tank.

It's a shame because I really like
Knolan's basic attack that slows down enemy haste & stacks.
Stacked 2-3 times on a larger enemy and they can't do shit. I think I might swap him with Garrison for the next dungeon and see how I do.

I quite like Gully as a tank so I'm not that fussed about swapping her out. In fact I probably like her design more than Garrison.

I'm really enjoying the hotel conversations/skits every time you rest at the Harm's Way Inn. They really remind me of the skits from the "Tales Of" rpgs. One that really tickled me was one that involved Red Monika and Knolan:

(paraphrasing)
Knolan: You're a thief, a cheat, a backstabber and a scoundrel!

Red Monika: Anything else?

Knolan: Also, I hate you.

There was a lot more to that particular conversation, but the writing in general I'm finding is pretty funny when it wants to be.

Maddrical

So how do you grind in this game? Just replay the previous dungeon once or twice? I reached
The Pit
(I think that's what its called) last night but kept getting destroyed by those beserkers who get stacks of attack power every time you hit them, I just don't have the damage to take them down. I forgot about the arena so I'm going to check that out tonight, then maybe try The Pit again on normal instead of heroic or whatever the 2nd difficulty is.

Still really enjoying the game though. I've played a total of maybe 3-4 turn based RPGs in my entire life (I can only think of Pokemon, Mario RPG, Valkyria Chronicles & Chrono Trigger) but I'm really enjoying the combat in this game. Animations have a nice weight behind them, it's reasonably paced and you get a tonne of abilities thrown at you which are nice. Still struggling to change my party up from the original 3 though, even after discovering
Red Monika

Razzorn34

Knolan's

She ended up being my tank for the latter part of the game. Load her up with evasion, and she is near untouchable after she buffs up.

Flaboere

So how do you grind in this game? Just replay the previous dungeon once or twice? I reached
The Pit
(I think that's what its called) last night but kept getting destroyed by those beserkers who get stacks of attack power every time you hit them, I just don't have the damage to take them down. I forgot about the arena so I'm going to check that out tonight, then maybe try The Pit again on normal instead of heroic or whatever the 2nd difficulty is.

Still really enjoying the game though. I've played a total of maybe 3-4 turn based RPGs in my entire life (I can only think of Pokemon, Mario RPG, Valkyria Chronicles & Chrono Trigger) but I'm really enjoying the combat in this game. Animations have a nice weight behind them, it's reasonably paced and you get a tonne of abilities thrown at you which are nice. Still struggling to change my party up from the original 3 though, even after discovering
Red Monika

Yes, you replay dungeons on harder settings (if they still are within XP range) or you do the Hunts that give you experience, or you focus on your Beast Pearks, and roam the land (or dungeons) killing those specific types of enemies.

I have a question regarding crafting. I'll spoiler this just in case, though I don't think it needs one:

Does Harm's Way get a blacksmithing workbench and an enchanting workbench? So far, it seems the only way to craft equipment and enchant equipment is to find specific workbenches in dungeons. I'm currently at the point where I've unlocked The Dig

Sambrez_

Guys, should I keep my shadow coins for better weapons or can I spend them to the Collector ? I'm Level 14 right now. I have 120+ coins right now.
I fear that the better weapons will be much expensive.

Flaboere

I have a question regarding crafting. I'll spoiler this just in case, though I don't think it needs one:

Does Harm's Way get a blacksmithing workbench and an enchanting workbench? So far, it seems the only way to craft equipment and enchant equipment is to find specific workbenches in dungeons. I'm currently at the point where I've unlocked The Dig

Yes.

You can upgrade the shops, and they eventually let you build stuff there. But some enchants can only be made at specific locations.

Flaboere

Guys, should I keep my shadow coins for better weapons or can I spend them to the Collector ? I'm Level 14 right now. I have 120+ coins right now.

I recommend using them on Perk Books, actually. Weapons will come and go, as will all equipment. And most people don't use all party members, they settle on 3 they like. So if you feel like you'll do that as well (i recommend it) don't bother bying Perk books for the members you're not using.

Begaria

Don't buy any of the equipment from the Shadow Collector. They're severely outclassed by items at higher level and are a waste of coins. The Perk books, and maybe the costumes if you want them, are the only things you should spend those coins on.

Maddrical

The Dig was infinitely easier on normal instead of heroic, made it halfway through with barely a scratch last night. I still really want to swap in Knolan as I really like his skills but I think I'll stick with the original 3 for the time being.

KiraXD

Easter egg time!

One of the weapons is called Dragonkind...

gullys legendary gauntlets are named and modeled after the cancelled game.

TROmWHf.jpg

Joe Madureira literally left the Battle Chasers comic book in order to do this game called dragonkind for ps2 and xbox... It got cancelled and was never finished, but i always hoped for a revival.

jtvob2X.jpg

R7yGwHE.jpg

Sr0NBLi.jpg

1FkeBuN.jpg

Also... some screenshots i took, would make cool backgrounds/wallpaper

Ricker

Finally found a brand new retail copy,last one left at EBGames up here...10 bucks cheaper then on PSN...also noticed that Elex was 20 dollar less retail then online...use to be the opposite,anyway wont complain about that since I still prefer physical copy over Digital when it's possible...

Going to start it up a bit this weekend...

Man, I really love the combination of Red Monika and Alumon! Their skill sets both compliment each other well.

I'm still very much enjoying the game so far! I just got done with the...fifth or sixth dungeon, I forget. I look forward to trudging along further!!

bumpkin

I was thinking the same thing. I believe they said they were waiting for some sort of update to Unity, and I did recently see something about an update for Unity that related to the Switch, so I wonder if that is what they needed or if it's still TBD?
I was going to say, I just saw someone post something about this on the Battle Chasers forums. Hopefully it also means good news for Yooka Laylee.

Ordered the physical PS4 version yesterday and now I'm disappointed to hear about the crashes. It's good that they are fixed now, but the state of the game on disc is not acceptable.

Now i hope the physical Switch version will be fine and worth to buy for the collection.

Top Bottom