• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 8•04-06•17 - Man in Black kidnaps #1, Dun' not done son, Woman nears $400m DOM

Is 700 WW still possible?

image.php

Tigress

Is the Dark Tower that bad? My wife and I were interested in seeing it.

I enjoyed it but I never read the books. It apparently differs from the books a lot and skips things. Apparently according to my husband (who had read the books), it's not supposed to be just like the book (all I could get from him cause he wants me to read the books and he didn't want to spoil it is
it's a repeat of events in different ways or something like that
). He was actually pretty disappointed with the movie until he read that tidbit which he looked up afterwards cause he wanted to make sure he was remembering events in the right order (he was originally not happy that it seemed they moved events around and skipped/condensed several books).

kswiston

It could get to $700m just in current markets and it hasn't opened in China or Japan yet.

It will easily get to $700M with the current territories. Homecoming is only about $1.5M behind Suicide Squad now, with much bigger weekdays. I'm expecting a finish of $325M, even if late legs drop off from Suicide Squad.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You gotta be trollin lol

Eh, no, its more that this is a thread where I have no idea if people are joking or are serious unless kwinston is posting.

Last I heard Japan ADORES Spider-Man. He's like the biggest western super hero over there.

I know, but all the time I see Boxoffice numbers from Japan it looks like the third biggest movie market looks movies worth for below 10 million dollar at the opening weekend.

kswiston

Amazing Spider-Man made a bit less than $90M between China and Japan. ASM2 made about $125M between the two.

Every MCU film since 2014 has made at least $100M in China, except for GotG1, which made around $95M (Mojo messed up the China number listed on GotG1's foreign page last month for reasons that are only known to them. It was 595M RMB, where 1 RMB was worth about $0.16 USD at the time).

I guess Homecoming is likely to land somewhere between Spider-Man's $821m and Spider-Man 3's $890m then, probably much closer to the former.

When is Spider-Man releasing in China? Will Wolf Warriors 2 stab and/or shoot and/or give it the middle finger, whatever that movie is about judging from the trailer.

Lima

Detroit will lose a lot of screens next week probably right? I assume they made a deal for like 2 weeks because it shouldn't stay on that many screens after last weekends performance.

Luc Besson said:
“It’s very hard for me to identify with a superhero because he has a superpower, and I don’t have a superpower,” he said. “All I can see is his power and say ‘oh, thank you so much for saving my life, me, poor little human being.’ I don’t like this relationship. I cant identify with the guy, I’m not like him.”

He also shared some thoughts about the good ol’ U.S. of A, diplomatically mentioning, “They do great things but their tendency towards self-supremacy is a little big.”

"Men fall from the sky, the gods hurl thunderbolts, innocents die. That's how it starts, sir. The fever, the rage, the feeling of powerlessness that turns good men... cruel."

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's fitting that he talks about how he doesn't find them relatable and how aliens aren't the bad guys in his film because Valerian definitely felt like a movie made by aliens trying to make humans relatable.
He is european. Its just not a that big part of our culture like in america. Remember Roland Emmerichs statements when he was asked during the promo for Indipendence Day 2?

N7.Angel

Damn... Besson is mad as fuck, I can't say I disagree with everything he said but even If I'm tired of superheroes movies, some incredible movies released this year where no superheroes were to be found, too bad it wasn't one of his movies...

Glass Rebel

He is european. Its just not a that big part of our culture like in america. Remember Roland Emmerichs statements when he was asked during the promo for Indipendence Day 2?

I'm also European. That doesn't mean I go around showing my ass while my garbage movie bombs. It's just embarrassing and has nothing to do with being European.

Penguin

So probably won't be counted, but any word on the inhumans?

Is it only in imax screens or will it open a bit wider? Any tracking?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm also European. That doesn't mean I go around showing my ass while my garbage movie bombs. It's just embarrassing and has nothing to do with being European.
he can make a bad movie and is still allowed to say that he doesnt like superhero movies.
Its a better statement then if he would lie just to please the internet.

numble

What is he supposed to say when he is being interviewed and asked about the difference between French, Japanese and American comics?

Busty

Banned
So probably won't be counted, but any word on the inhumans?

Is it only in imax screens or will it open a bit wider? Any tracking?

It has been so quiet I assumed that everyone involved has decided to (wisely) cancel this theatrical premiere.

Glass Rebel

he can make a bad movie and is still allowed to say that he doesnt like superhero movies.
Its a better statement then if he would lie just to please the internet.

He's allowed to say whatever he wants and I am allowed to say that his statements are embarrassing.

What is he supposed to say when he is being interviewed and asked about the difference between French, Japanese and American comics?

I think he could start with a more informed opinion for starters. If he can't relate to superheroes because of their superpowers, he seems to be missing the point entirely. Which, again, is not surprising since Valerian shows that he doesn't even know how regular humans work anymore.

kswiston

$4M previews for Annabelle. The highest in the franchise. $30M this weekend is going to be a lowball I think. It's hard to compare summer previews to June (for The Conjuring 2), but $40M seems possible. Maybe more.

After seeing that preview for IT, and seeing Annabelle's B.O. for the weekend (that preview goes on the front of a bunch of these Annabelle screenings, I believe)

I think 50 is lowball for IT.

I think floor is now 60.
Ceiling might be 80.

(is excitement taking hold and leading to rash prognostication? mayyyybe.)

kswiston

Somehow, the Nut Job 2 managed to get itself in over 4k venues. The previous lowest opening for a film in over 4k venues was the Emoji Movie at $24.5M. The Nut Job 2 will probably half that total.

Thursday previews for the Nut Job 2 started at 5pm, and it made $330k.

Top Bottom