• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do women see extremely muscular men the same way men see anorexic women?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wondered is it harder to find clothes that fit and look right when you start approaching that level of size? Seems like everything is made for the soccer body type guys that were posted.

Tom Hardy/Jim Wendler=my ideal physique. Strong like bull.

And my upper body isn't huge, but my legs are short and thick and finding pants is a fucking pain. With shirts, I can at least buy v-necks for comfort, but with pants, I have to buy 34+ waist. So I HAVE to wear a belt for pants that don't fit, and my thighs still fit pretty tight in 'em. I don't want to HAVE to wear baggy pants. :(

grumble

Thead asking what do women think about a particular type of body.

Who cares about what women think lol

Works out to get unusually big and strong -> pillar of ego is based on physical aspirations -> significant chunk of people (men and women) state they do not find physical goals desirable (either to be or to lust after) -> ego threatened -> ignore dissonance -> rationalize and validate position using whatever logic or fallacies are at hand (moving goalposts, crying sample bias, etc), and search for people who agree -> ego protected.

It's the same psychological defense mechanism that gives rise to the console wars.

Also, Mr. City knows his shit. Ryan Reynolds and Brad Pitt look great, but there's nothing special about what they're doing--very low bodyfat and some muscle. Brad Pitt in Fight Club/Snatch has just ENOUGH muscle mass to look impressive when cut. Their physiques aren't anything that would take years to achieve, just a lot of careful eating and programming.

This isn't just "meathead" speak. For the general public, anyone with a low bodyfat is going to look impressive, because...it looks impressive!

Tom Hardy/Jim Wendler=my ideal physique. Strong like bull.

I don't get this. Why the hell would I need to deadlift or squat 500 pounds? What functional purpose does it serve in my life? Unless I'm moving furniture or I'm an MMA fighter, I don't see the purpose. I work in retail, and I eventually want to work for the government. I don't think either of those positions require me to lift 500 pounds.

I'll take women complimenting on how amazing my body looks at a pool party than lifting 500 pounds(though I'm already decently strong).

Physique>strength

I don't get this. Why the hell would I need to deadlift or squat 500 pounds? What functional purpose does it serve in my life? Unless I'm moving furniture I'm an MMA fighter, I don't see the purpose. I work in retail, and I eventually want to work for the government. I don't think either of those positions require me to lift 500 pounds.

Physique>strength

Apparently, my ideal physique=this is what I think you should look like. So sorry.

Replicant

I don't get this. Why the hell would I need to deadlift or squat 500 pounds? What functional purpose does it serve in my life? Unless I'm moving furniture I'm an MMA fighter, I don't see the purpose. I work in retail, and I eventually want to work for the government. I don't think either of those positions require me to lift 500 pounds.

Physique>strength

Uh oh. You just opened the Pandora's box. Get ready for GAF's 'serious lifters' to go after you.

Uh oh. You just opened the Pandora's box. Get ready for GAF's 'serious lifters' to go after you.

No. I think it was pretty stupid to say, since I took the time to point out that it is how I would like to look.

If we're talking pure aesthetics, I think having a strong back and legs is more attractive than being pencil-necked with a big chest and biceps and chicken legs. To avoid any confusion: IN. MY. OPINION.

I personally don't give a shit what you do--your goals should shape how you lift. I believe there is a strong case for having a solid base skillset and would recommend it to all beginning lifters, but I have bodybuilder friends, powerlifter friends, and friends who get high all day and play video games (and many times, a combination of all of the above). I don't laugh at any of them behind their backs because of their "goals".

It's pretty common at my gym to have someone who started off powerlifting, then move into bodybuilding, then move into olympic lifting, then move into some sport, etc. This shit doesn't have to be mutually exclusive, guys.

Well, even though my legs aren't the size of a tree trunk, at least they're cut and you can see the different heads of the quads. I do have lats and a strong back (thanks to doing weighted pullups). If I wanted to, I could glide from tree, like a flying squirrel.

That guy is fat in the pic. Just another bald tattoo'd dude. Oh, and he has no abs.

My hair is awesome. It's so thick my barber charges me double. I can barely get a comb through it; I love my hair.

I've seen much thicker. Kennedy Jr for instance, what did his barber charge x5?

jfkjr.jpg

entremet

I don't get this. Why the hell would I need to deadlift or squat 500 pounds? What functional purpose does it serve in my life? Unless I'm moving furniture or I'm an MMA fighter, I don't see the purpose. I work in retail, and I eventually want to work for the government. I don't think either of those positions require me to lift 500 pounds.

I'll take women complimenting on how amazing my body looks at a pool party than lifting 500 pounds(though I'm already decently strong).

Physique>strength

Why do people pursue any goals?

Mr.City

Frankly slightly cheeky question: would you be happy with women having a body that they enjoy?

Strange question, but if you're asking if I would happy that there is a woman who is truly comfortable with her physique (doesn't fly off the handle if anyone mentions weight around her like other women who comfortable with weight), then good for you.

If you're asking if I would be happy, as in attracted to woman who truly enjoys her body, then it would depend on her physique.

However, what would my opinion with their physique have to do with anything?

Replicant

No. I think it was pretty stupid to say, since I took the time to point out that it is how I would like to look.

If we're talking pure aesthetics, I think having a strong back and legs is more attractive than being pencil-necked with a big chest and biceps and chicken legs. To avoid any confusion: IN. MY. OPINION.

I assume Jason was just responding to the general arrogance of squatters/deadlifters who look down on others who don't do it as often they do. Your post just happened to be in the line of fire.

Also no need to fly into rage and go into capslock mode just because you get into argument with someone.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
That Ryan Reynolds or Brad Pitt or whoever is a novice or intermediate strength athlete at best is absolutely not relevant to the premise for this discussion. We're not talking about strength athletes, we're talking about being desirable to women. So look at movie stars and footballers and so forth, not the guy checking your ID at the club.

Even though lifting is the way to gain mass, and having defined mass is an important component of achieving a mainstream-ideal body type, "get swole" is straight up not the answer to the question of how to become attractive or athletic, unless you're only concerned about being attractive to your own worldview or athletic within the realm of weightlifting. Both of which are fine pursuits, of course, just separate issues.

I assume Jason was just responding to the general arrogance of squatters/deadlifters who look down on others who don't do it as often they do. Your post just happened to be in the line of fire.

Also no need to fly into rage and go into capslock mode just because you get into argument with someone.

Jason's a regular in our meathead fitness thread, it's all good
lol.gif

Arrogance goes around in all groups, not just powerlifters. Bodybuilders look down on powerlifters for being "fat", powerlifters looks down on bodybuilders for being "vain", crossfit looks down on them both for not being "functional".

Everyone just ignores olympic lifters, though.

the first girl HHHHNNnnnnngggggggggg. anybody know her name??????????

1st is a goddess. she also reminds me of a none bitch version of jillian michaels

2nd looks good

3rd is pushing it

4th is pretty damn nice too

i cut the others i didnt care for.. especially the girl with the big triceps...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Strange question, but if you're asking if I would happy that there is a woman who is truly comfortable with her physique (doesn't fly off the handle if anyone mentions weight around her like other women who comfortable with weight), then good for you.

If you're asking if I would be happy, as in attracted to woman who truly enjoys her body, then it would depend on her physique.

However, what would my opinion with their physique have to do with anything?

Well, the reason I said it was a cheeky question was because I was wondering whether you thought 'be happy with your own body' should also extend to women or whether women should have physiques that you are happy with.

I'm sure that there are a non-negligible number of men who think this is the case, is why.

Replicant

Jason's a regular in our meathead fitness thread, it's all good
lol.gif

Arrogance goes around in all groups, not just powerlifters. Bodybuilders look down on powerlifters for being "fat", powerlifters looks down on bodybuilders for being "vain", crossfit looks down on them both for not being "functional".

I only see it mostly from the serious powerlifters both on GAF and IRL. But hey, *in my experience*. I mostly train because I want my muscles to support my boxing class (aka functional) and because I want to look good. So yeah, I think everyone should just mind their own business and stop telling others how or what motivation they should have for weightlifting.

And yeah, that image above is definitely a photoshop and an amateur one at that. Look at the mirrored image and how one leg is skinnier than the other.

agrajag

Banned
I only see it mostly from the serious powerlifters both on GAF and IRL. But hey, *in my experience*. I mostly train because I want my muscles to support my boxing class (aka functional) and because I want to look good. So yeah, I think everyone should just mind their own business and stop telling others how or what motivation they should have for weightlifting.

And yeah, that image above is definitely a photoshop and an amateur one at that. Look at the mirrored image and how one leg is skinnier than the other.

You're seeing part of the guy's leg that's standing behind him that makes it appear that one of his legs is thicker.

Some people just have naturally tiny calves, aka chicken legs. Like Jon Bones Jones.

Replicant

You're seeing part of the guy's leg that's standing behind him that makes it appear that one of his legs is thicker.

Nope. I already separated his left leg and the leg of the guy behind him and it's still bigger than his right leg. I mean FFS, even his left thigh is ridiculously thin.

Some people just have naturally tiny calves, aka chicken legs. Like Jon Bones Jones.

Yeah, I've seen some guys who actually do a lot of squats/deadlifts but unforch their legs are small. They always ask me why my legs are thick even though I only do squat once a week. I don't know what to say except that I used to do a lot of jogging and maybe that built my legs' size? Which is why it's arrogant for people to assume that those with small legs don't actually do squats/deadlifts.

Eh, the only noticeable sign of photoshopping is the giant white text on the photo (derp). I was just expressing my shock that something like that is even possible by claiming it was 'shopped.

suzu

So this thread was about what women like? I like the lean and muscular look on guys. Ideally, like those soccer players' builds. I'll take Chris Hemsworth or Chris Evans if we're naming Hollywood celebrities. lol.

The proportions seem about the same as his mirrored self. I think it'd be hard to get them to match if they were altered, given the size and graininess of the photo (and based on my non-existent knowledge of Photoshop). Unless the grain was added after or something.

Who would bother to do all that just to make a slightly funny joke about chicken legs?

So this thread was about what women like? I like the lean and muscular look on guys. Ideally, like those soccer players' builds. I'll take Chris Hemsworth or Chris Evans if we're naming Hollywood celebrities. lol.

Nonononono. It's now about whether or not the above photo was Photosopped!

Replicant

Ding ding ding. The thread originally meant to be a thread for women to tell guys what kind of body type they prefer in men. Not for men to have screaming match as to why they should be weight-lifting.

Who would bother to do all that just to make a slightly funny joke about chicken legs?

Because some people are petty? Don't underestimate how willing guys are to bitch about other guys. We all think guys are quiet, non-gossiping types. BS. Many guys in the gym are quite willingly laugh at less experienced guys with bad form. And yet, they don't have the balls to come over to those poor guys and show them the correct form to do the exercise.

So, what do you think about extremely muscular guys?

Saaaay, what if we instead post pictures of hot muscular women. I don't see enough hot women threads.
Depends on how muscular really. If I can see pulsating veins it's too much. Those soccer guys on the last page? YES. But less athletic builds are fine too.

If anything we should be posting anorexic girls, to fit in with the thread title.

Ding ding ding. The thread originally meant to be a thread for women to tell guys what kind of body type they prefer in men. Not for men to have screaming match as to why they should be weight-lifting.
Honestly, after going through the first couple of pages and seeing almost nothing but GayGAF, I laughed. GayGAF doesn't even know what it fucking wants.

From my experience, women prefer athletically built guys. Muscular to the extent of being slightly over your ideal bodyweight, but still lean. I think I'm borderline too muscular for most women.

But yeah, I'm gay, so I don't give a FUCK. Gays definitely tend to like muscles much more than women, and that's all that matters to me.

IceCold

Honestly I find it funny that in gaf of all places people are questioning why people have goals that involve wanting to lift heavy weights. This is a gaming forum, how many people here cram extra hours to complete all the achievements in a game? Why do people do speed runs or why are some people interesting in having the best stats in an FPS games? Arcade games became quite popular with the ranking system too.

It's a similar thing psychologically and why cnn made this article: http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/14/health/video-gamers-bodybuilders-fitocracy/index.html

People like setting goals and surpassing them. News at 11.

I can't speak for every woman but those guys with the veins that really stick out - I find that a huge turnoff. I don't want to run my hands over someone's skin and feel their insides bulging out! Yuck! Most of the pictures posted in this thread show those kind of veins.

If you can get to a point where your stomach doesn't extend over your belt, your chest isn't pointy and moob-y, and your arms and shoulders are firm and have a little bit of bulge, then your body is probably a non-issue in terms of stopping you from getting any given woman. Your face, your personality, your grooming, and your confidence(hot)/sense-of-entitlement(turn-off) ratio are probably bigger factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom