• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellaris |OT| Imperium Universalis

SFY94uY.jpg

Special thanks to mcz117chief for his help with the structure and design of the OT, Q&A, and StellarisGAF collage

Site | Price: $39.99 [Nova Edition: $49.99 / Galaxy Edition: $69.99] | Steam, Humble, GMG | Trailers: Tour of the Galaxy, The Vast Unknown, Reveal
Reviews thread | Multiplayer thread

Explore a vast galaxy full of wonder! Paradox Development Studio, makers of the Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis series presents Stellaris, an evolution of the grand
strategy genre with space exploration at its core.

Featuring deep strategic gameplay, a rich and enormously diverse selection of alien races and emergent storytelling, Stellaris has engaging challenging gameplay that rewards
interstellar exploration as you traverse, discover, interact and learn more about the multitude of species you will encounter during your travels.

Etch your name across the cosmos by forging a galactic empire; colonizing remote planets and integrating alien civilizations. Will you expand through war alone or walk the
path of diplomacy to achieve your goals?

QOMGrA9.png

ZBBUEMH.gif

HdfvZWt.jpg
SmmOpRB.jpg

oIPAQQq.jpg
PJf9lNN.jpg

kG9x0fm.jpg
9S3pAFi.jpg

oIqP7xO.png

They tell me it began like this, with a world united. Decades of research, a global effort unlike anything that came before and will never come again, an endeavor that crossed
generations and borders. With the advent of faster-than-light travel, space was no longer an unforgiving abyss, the stars no longer mere lights in the night sky to be admired,
but a new map to be charted and conquered.

NY7VqdA.png

KXc3YAN.png

wjYq5zp.png

Our first steps into the expanse were made with caution. A single ship staffed with our homeworld's brightest minds and bravest explorers set out to distant stars and unknown
galaxies. Our people watched as first our own solar system was scanned and studied, and then beyond. But we soon discovered a shocking truth, a revelation that shattered
everything we knew and understood, that set the path for everything that came ahead.

We were not alone.

bzbFX74.png

We were not alone. We were not special or unique. Rather than a shining diamond as bright as the stars we hoped to reach, our world was but a grain of sand among many.
Before our primitive technology looked beyond the borders of our galaxy and our ships lifted off into the unknown, empires had risen and fallen, civilizations had thrived and
traded, allied and annihilated, expanded and ended.

8ErnpYn.png
FNRVEMW.png

First contact was equal parts terror and curiosity. Even as our society reeled in response, we realized an entire universe worth of opportunities awaits us now. We build ships
armed for war and defense, wielding weapons and hulls developed with materials mined from other worlds. Our resolve remains ironclad. Our destiny will not be shackled by
wills of interstellar neighbors that scheme in languages and politics so unlike our own. Our science progresses onward, engineering incredible technology and bending physics
to our whim in our race to stand alongside other species as equals.

We will expand. We will forge our own alliances. We will protect our people whatever the cost. We will etch our names across the cosmos.

c8yKDbc.png

NksK3Uv.png
yIU7dZ6.png

HzORZaV.png

TzLADus.png

LMJS0AT.jpg

What is Stellaris?
Stellaris is a 4X Grand Strategy game made by Paradox Interactive, people behind series like Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings, etc.
What does 4X stand for?
It stands for "eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate"
How big can the gameplay area be?
Right now the upper limit is 1000 star systems
What species can inhabit the galaxy?
You can create your own or let the AI auto create them. The basic Phenotypes are arthropoid, reptilian, mammalian, avian, fungoid and molluscoid.
How easy is it to get into Stellaris compared to other more complex games like Crusader Kings?
Stellaris is much easier to get into. The idea was to make a game that is diverse in it's options but not overwhelming in it's executions. Basically it is easy to control but your options are numerous.
What makes the game unique?
It is a first grand strategy sci-fi game made by Paradox with many interesting features and swift gameplay. One great example is the ethos system which gives your empire it's philosophical identity, such as being either militaristic or pacifist. Each deviation from the norm on the ethos wheel will give your empire special properties like developing synthetic life or exploring the power of one's mind, giving access to psychic abilities.
On which platforms is the game available?
Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac OS
How does combat work?
Real time action with fleets that are controlled by an AI that can be slightly influenced by giving it general orders like defensive/aggressive. Later in the game more options to command your fleets in battle will be available through development of battle computers.
Can you design your own ships?
It is very much required to re-design your ships to meet your current needs or to adapt to new adversaries so you are expected to maintain your fleet manually. Of course, you can ask the AI to design ships for you but it is preferable to make them yourself to meet your specific needs.
How does research work?
Basically each branch of your science wing offers you a number of science projects and you are forced to pick one. Think of research like a deck of cards, every time you start a new research project your scientists pull out 3 cards and you have to pick. Of course, like in any other card game, there are rare cards in the deck.
What if my empire is too big and I start to feel overwhelmed?
You can ask the AI to control specific areas of the empire for you, actually you are required to do that since at the beginning of the game you can only directly control 5 systems, others have to be relinquished to the AI or you will suffer penalties. This limit can be increased.
How does late game look like?
When an empire reaches late game there is a chance that a galactic level crisis will occur that will throw even the most powerful empire into chaos. Breach of reality, extragalactic invasions, sentient AI declare all biological life a threat, etc.

I can't believe it... we're finally here. It's been a long wait, except, no it hasn't, holy shit this thing only got announced in August?!?

laughs mockingly at HoI fans

(Also, fantastic OP, OP)

But seriously, I'm so damn excited it's here!

I have a feeling Ill get into this game, then retroactively get into Crusader Kings 2. Every time I open up CK2 I just stare at the map screen and then close it.

Alright, I don't see these in the OP (hopefully I'm not just overlooking it) so I'll mention some useful stuff below:
If you haven't decided on your species/civilization yet, this website can help. It features a Stellaris species designer! You can design, name, save, and share them easily straight from the website.​

Also, if you need some inspiration for your creation there's an imgur album of all the species portraits so far. Unfortunately, I dunno if that includes the five pre-order portraits or the Nova/Galaxy exclusive portrait.​

Finally, if you'd like to see the game in action or just learn more about it, I've seen parts of these videos/series and recommend checking them out:
  • Quill18's Let's Play: Stellaris (Very comprehensive look at the mechanics and gameplay of Stellaris. A must watch if you'd like to learn more about the game. Also pretty entertaining.)
  • Scott Manley's Let's Play (Less explanation than Quill's work, but Scott Manley brings his own style and keeps videos in easily digestible ~20-minute segments. Scott's also the only one of the ones I mention to make the music audible, which is a nice touch.)
  • or Giant Bomb's Quick Look. (1.4 hour video that gets a lot wrong, but also explains what makes the game great.)

Engage.

Tommyhawk

The release is so close now. I can almost taste it.

I've waited for a game like this for years. Grand strategy + 4X + space setting is a match made in heaven.

MoonFrog

Wait...I like these sort of games and this is coming out tomorrow? Wonderful surprise. Maybe I'll buy it Tuesday after my translation test. I'll have just grading and a paper due at the end of May after that...although these sorts of games can get in the way of even that limited a slate :p.

Ozium

Can't wait.. this will be my first Paradox game.. I own CK2 but it feels overwhelming.. from videos this seems great for people who want to get into the genre, especially those familiar with 4X..

When I learned I didn't have to micromanage battles I was even more stoked.. hopefully GMG puts keys up sooner rather than later...

So excited for this! Austin Walker on the latest Beastcast pushed me over the esge to preorser, I can't wait to disenfranchise fanatical xenophobe Space Crabs!

BTW small typo in the OP, in the "Who are Paradox?" image, Crusader Kings isn't capitalized. Great OT though!

Nokterian

This will be my first paradox game also in terms of grand strategy still a bit overwhelming but i hope the guides help me along the way very excited to play it awesome OT!

Jimrpg

Nice OT and title.

I'm so behind on playing all the paradox titles in my backlog, but I preordered Stellaris anyway just to support it. Hope it does well, cause I love complex strategy titles like this, at least I like nothing better than the thought of sitting there on a rainy sunday afternoon completely immersed in a grand strategy game.

Can't believe I just found out about this game. It was always going to take a Sci-Fi game to get me into the grand strategy genre, and this surely looks like the one.

Getting Mass Effect and Star Trek feels. Good feels.

Xando

Great OT.

Can't believe it's finally releasing tomorrow.

Stellaris and HoI4 will keep me entertained during the summer.

Mass Effect mod will be glorious.

And here I just bought Off-World Trading Company like a chump. I had no idea this was coming out this week. Guess I better get a few hours of OWTC in before Stellaris swallows me whole...

Freeman76

CK2 completely engulfed me and after 100 hours i still really didnt have a fucking clue about what i was doing. Absolutely loved every second even though i felt stupid for most of it. Will definitely try this at some point.

I was actually toying with the idea of picking up CK2 right around the time this was then announced. I decided to wait for this and boy am I happy that it's time. It's kind of the space game I've always wanted since Star Control 2, but never got. Too many of the other space 4x games didn't have any of the interesting bits found here. Like, their definition of exploration was essentially you went to a new solar system and found a new race or it was empty. All the things you can find and research on planets in Stellaris is so much more appealing.

Since it wasn't answered in the OT, any idea around what time Monday it will be available?

Myzer

Psyched for this. Been watching their streams, and it looks like they have gone and the game I've been itching for, for years.

Unicorn

I keep trying their games, but this has me the most hopeful of becoming invested. I think the exploration will ease me into the next steps of Empire building.

Beat deal on the game, where?

ExVicis

Is tomorrow until release but goddamn does it feel so far away. Only so many hours left until the Mulloscoid Ascendancy I have planned saves the Universe from itself.

I keep trying their games, but this has me the most hopeful of becoming invested. I think the exploration will ease me into the next steps of Empire building.

Beat deal on the game, where?

Use SPACE25 on GMG to get 25% off, but it's only good until May 9th, 16:00 UTC .

You all know where the three quotes from the OT came from, right? I figured they were all appropriately themed sci-fi works
(Well, one is an abridged quote)

5k planet system.

Around 1900 CEST. Ultimately Steam/Valve's decision, so Paradox couldn't give us a precise answer.

I spy with my little eye the thing that's going to devour my free time for the next 6 months.

Is it possible to play a non biological race(=intelligent machines)?

Not as a starting condition, no. You can eventually transition into a majority-synthetic empire, but you start off as organic no matter what. Maybe as a DLC, definitely as a mod.

bjaelke

Thanks! That's hopefully right around lunch for me.

Also, who did a 5k system?
Belannear. Did a 1.5k system and posted the 5k in the comment section.
Stellaris - Modding - Custom flags

Need 3 different resolutions:
Normal 128x128
Map 256x256
Small 24x24

I'm sure we'll get some kind of mod for all known sci-fi franchises at some point. It's the quality I'm worried about. Belannear has put up some videos with very simple modding (changing text values).

Stellaris - Modding - Adding and altering Galaxy sizes and shapes
Stellaris - Modding - Name lists

wrongway

Yay, great OT!

Super excited for this. Watched the Quicklook earlier and got my order in. I don't think I've really sunk into a good scifi 4x since GalCiv2, and I've never managed to play any of Paradox's grand strategy games. Can't wait. :D

Now I just need to figure out what my first empire will be lol

Oh man, it's releasing 12 hours earlier than I was thinking. My time conversion was all kinds of off.
You all know where the three quotes from the OT came from, right? I figured they were all appropriately themed sci-fi works
(Well, one is an abridged quote)

Second one is Star Trek? The first and third are drawing blanks for me. (My sci-fi knowledge is but a speck of the vast nothingness.)

Top Bottom