• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could have done without the "sam cleaning shit pots" for 5 minutes montage.

Could have done without Sam.

For a premier there was just way too much nothing. Everything outside Arya and the Brotherhood felt like a boring, middle of the season type episode.

Gotta imagine that the dothraki are garrisoning on the mainland.

When you look at the map, dragonstone is a pretty big island, bigger than the iron isles.

Food would be a problem, but she's got highgarden on her side, all the food that went to kings landing is now going to dany would be my guess.

Protein

Banned
I'm thinking Euron is going to conveniently have anti-dragon weapons. Like whale hunting weapons modified to shoot down dragons.

Or something like that bigass ballista that was used by the Night's Watch against the giant in the battle of Castle Black.

Brashnir

When you look at the map, dragonstone is a pretty big island, bigger than the iron isles.

Food would be a problem, but she's got highgarden on her side, all the food that went to kings landing is now going to dany would be my guess.

Dragonstone is most certainly not bigger than the Iron Islands. Not even close. It's about 1/8 the size of Bear Island and it's 62 fighting men.

Huge ratings last night:
EW said:
Game of Thrones returned after its longest wait yet to the show’s biggest audience ever — by far.

The worldwide hit series delivered an incredible 16.1 million viewers for the highly anticipated kick off to its penultimate season across all HBO platforms (repeats and streaming and DVR).

That represents a whopping 50 percent increase from last year’s premiere — despite the show airing in the summer for the first time when the number of households watching television is lower than in the spring (which is why broadcast networks run most of their original programming from September to May).

Last year the season 6 premiere averaged 10.7 million viewers including streaming (7.9 million viewers without).
Joe Adalian said:
@GameOfThrones S7 opens to a massive linear audience of 10.1M viewers at 9 p.m. Sunday, up 27% vs. April 2016 S6 premiere

Including replays + digital views, HBO estimates audience for S7 @GameOfThrones opener already at 16.1M -- +50% vs 2016

Ithil

I don't think Euron has what it takes to kill a dragon. I think they will be wiped super fast.

Without Euron the Lannisters would get obliterated soon, they have four enemy armies in every compass direction, they had the whole scene emphasizing this. Expect this conflict to take up the whole season, from the way he was presented (compared to last season), Euron was very obviously here to stay.

Saganator

I don't think Euron has what it takes to kill a dragon. I think they will be wiped super fast.

Doesn't one of the trailers show a battle between dragons and ships? I have a feeling Euron will manage to take down one of the dragons and escape the battle with most of his fleet intact.

Sephzilla

Euron's fleet was under construction by the time Theon and Yara fled to Danny, and was likely still being built when word first got out that Danny was coming to Westeros. So it's not unreasonable to think that he might have equipped his ships with some anti-dragon hardware.

WriterGK

Could have done without Sam.

For a premier there was just way too much nothing. Everything outside Arya and the Brotherhood felt like a boring, middle of the season type episode.

You didn't like the Lord of Light and Glegane stuff? I really thought the Hound knew those people or he killed them. And I absolutely loved the Jon Snow taking the leader stuff and debating with Sansa in front of the crowd lol

So, we're getting a Beyonce cameo next?

GAF post-episode: "That was Beyoncé? Never knew what she looked like so I had no idea. Scene seemed fine to me, glittery choreographed dancing fits fine in the GoT universe. We now know that Tyrion has rhythm despite his stature, and that's important for character development at this point."

I was reading the reddit thread and I'm quite surprised that so many people didn't make the connection that the corpses Sandor buried were the same father and daughter he robbed several seasons ago. It was not an accident the recap flashback showed that father and daughter Even Beric asked Sandor "you knew them?"

WriterGK

I was reading the reddit thread and I'm quite surprised that so many people didn't make the connection that the corpses Sandor buried were the same father and daughter he robbed several seasons ago. It was not an accident the recap flashback showed that father and daughter Even Beric asked Sandor "you knew them?"

I figured something like that, I did rememeber sort off. It had to be

wiibomb

You didn't like the Lord of Light and Glegane stuff? I really thought the Hound knew those people or he killed them. And I absolutely loved the Jon Snow taking the leader stuff and debating with Sansa in front of the crowd lol

right on the money, I just saw it on the "making of" video, he stole money from them when traveling with arya, they starved to death because of him.

that was one really good moment of yesterday's episode, it shows how clegane has been growing a lot in these seasons

Sande

I really don't see the show having a repeat of the previous "whole fleet gets burned immediately" battle. Euron has some trick up his sleeve.

right on the money, I just saw it on the "making of" video, he stole money from them when traveling with arya, they starved to death because of him.

that was one really good moment of yesterday's episode, it shows how clegane has been growing a lot in these seasons
Episode?

Sephzilla

Yeah, when I saw that bit get brought up in the recap I assumed it was because we were about to revisit that location

Sande

Recaps kinda suck and not all places even have them. HBO Nordic doesn't and I'd imagine the same goes for many streaming services.

Sephzilla

This is why I don't watch the recaps. It's basically a pre-episode spoiler section.

I get that, but to be fair if I didn't see that in the recap then that whole bit would have gone completely over my head because Hound robbing them was a fairly quick thing that happened years ago now

Ithil

Euron's fleet was under construction by the time Theon and Yara fled to Danny, and was likely still being built when word first got out that Danny was coming to Westeros. So it's not unreasonable to think that he might have equipped his ships with some anti-dragon hardware.

And some rocket boosters apparently judging by how fast he sailed around almost the entirety of Westeros.

jfkgoblue

Huge ratings last night:
At $15/month and 10.1m live channel views(so no leeches) plus another 6m on Now/Go (have no idea the ratio of customers to leeches in that category, assume 5m are legit customers) that's 225m/month in revenue for HBO just due to people who watch GoT as it airs.

Insane amount money from one show, no wonder they want a spinoff.

And yes you gotta account for people who would sub to HBO no matter what, but also enjoy GoT, but I have no way of knowing that.

from which army where "Ed Sheeran"s troops and what was their reason for being there? I totally missed that part..

They're Lannister soldiers, there to keep the peace in the wake of the Frey massacre.

Line from the episode:

There's been some trouble with the Freys up at the Twins, so we're part of the army that's been sent to keep the peace.

from which army where "Ed Sheeran"s troops and what was their reason for being there? I totally missed that part..
They were probably comming from the twins. Jaime just led a lannister force to Riverton and they just had a party at the twins end of season 6.

Oh yeah what the above poster said.

Bran is gonna go back in time and warg someone to put feather and leaves as cushion to his eventual fall.

He will come back to the present and be able to walk.

Book it!

Bran is gonna go back in time and warg someone to put feather and leaves as cushion to his eventual fall.

He will come back to the present and be able to walk.

Book it!

I don't think that's how that works. Hodors mind was already the way it was before he went back in time and messed it up.

Where the fuck was everyone at Dragonstone. lol

I mean yeah Stannis left but there isn't a single person in the castle lol

During that scene I honestly thought it was a Cersie trap or something because of how easy it was for Dany to just walk in and go to the throne.

Huge ratings last night:

Jesus. The hype is damn real

Now that I think about it, I watched the season opener with friends who I would have never thought would be into a fantasy show like this. lol

jfkgoblue

Where the fuck was everyone at Dragonstone. lol

I mean yeah Stannis left but there isn't a single person in the castle lol

During that scene I honestly thought it was a Cersie trap or something because of how easy it was for Dany to just walk in and go to the throne.

Jesus. The hype is damn real

Now that I think about it, I watched the season opener with friends who I would have never thought would be into a fantasy show like this. lol
It boggles my mind how as nerdy a show as this could become such a pop culture sensation. I just don't get how this show became the juggernaut it is. The books weren't super big (as in not much more popular than the many other fantasy series), but for some reason it just clicked.

RS4-

lol even in the recap at the start of the ep, they showed them for a reason. Now, I totally get it if they didn't show them at all, and I probably would've been confused as well until Hound actually talks about it.

RulkezX

It boggles my mind how as nerdy a show as this could become such a pop culture sensation. I just don't get how this show became the juggernaut it is. The books weren't super big (as in not much more popular than the many other fantasy series), but for some reason it just clicked.

The books were absolutely bigger than the average fantasy series. Go look at the fantasy bestseller list at the Wertzone and you'll see how little fantasy ( and all books not breakout worldwide megahits) sell.

OT

Euron is just going to end up this seasons Ramsay , isn't he ? He'll kill a Dragon because reasons and somehow use his instabuilt rocket fleet to zoom all over Westeros all the while it takes Arya all season to reach Kings Landing.

jfkgoblue

The books were absolutely bigger than the average fantasy series. Go look at the fantasy bestseller list at the Wertzone and you'll see how little fantasy ( and all books not breakout worldwide megahits) sell.

OT

Euron is just going to end up this seasons Ramsay , isn't he ? He'll kill a Dragon because reasons and somehow use his instabuilt rocket fleet to zoom all over Westeros all the while it takes Arya all season to reach Kings Landing.
What I mean is that they weren't Lord of the Rings big.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
If anything he's going to need her playing the game against Littlefinger in the background if he wants to survive. Jon's good at this, but Littlefinger plays on his own level and Sansa is the only one he's got that can hope to match him.

No. Sansa only thinks she understands it. That's what will make her fall all the harder. Littlefinger is pushing her around right to where he wants her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom