• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0811-1317 - Annabelle conjures up #1, Dark Tower Falls

xaosslug

XXQv7Io.jpg
k04eLdV.jpg
QF4vTFh.jpg
elYOFfW.jpg
2hFgWlt.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
68% Annabelle: Creation
9wcOG.gif
93% Dunkirk
8mB0Q.gif
11% The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature
3Pj0x.gif
18% The Dark Tower
5f4ew.gif
08% The Emoji Movie
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
50% The Glass Castle
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
n/a Toilet: Ek Prem Katha

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Annabelle: Creation' Levitates to No. 1 With $35 Million

”Annabelle: Creation" may not be able to save the summer — which, after this weekend, will only fall farther behind last year's pace — but it is doing its part to frighten audiences into theaters.

The latest from New Line and Warner Bros, which serves as the fourth installment in what has become the ”Conjuring" extended universe, is casting its evil eye on $35 million from 3,502 locations. That's a strong start for the horror flick, which was made for about $15 million.

The track record for the franchise is strong — ”Annabelle" ($37.1 million); ”The Conjuring" ($41.9 million); and ”The Conjuring 2" ($40.4 million). David F. Sandberg directed the sequel about a dollmaker whose creation terrorizes a group of orphan girls. For those invested in the ”Conjuring" canon, it serves as a prequel to the first ”Annabelle." Stephanie Sigman, Talitha Bateman, Anthony LaPaglia, and Miranda Otto star in the pic that critics have generally given a thumbs up to (it currently has an 68% on Rotten Tomatoes).

”Annabelle is scary as hell," said Jeff Goldstein, distribution chief at Warner Bros. ”And it's exciting to see how broadly audiences enjoyed it," he said, adding, ”I think our marketing team did a fabulous job."

The same studio's ”Dunkirk" continues to show strong during its fourth weekend, as it holds onto second place. One of the lone bright spots in a generally dismal summer for the box office, Christopher Nolan's World War II epic should make an additional $11.4 million this weekend, pushing its domestic total past the $150 million mark.

While it should land in the top three, Open Road's sequel ”Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature" appears to be a miss. From 4,003 locations, the animated adventure should earn $8.9 million. That's less than half of the first ”Nut Job" movie, which opened to $19.4 million before going on to take in $120.9 million worldwide during its run. The sequel's story centers around a group of animals who attempt to save their home from being bulldozed and turned into an amusement park.

Meanwhile, Lionsgate's new release ”The Glass Castle" is pulling in $4.9 million from 1,461 locations. Those are meager earnings, but also a low theater count. The adaptation of Jeannette Walls' hugely-popular 2005 memoir mostly appealed to women, who made up 80% of the audience. Audiences have been generally receptive, earning the movie an A- CinemaScore, while critics are more mixed (50% of RottenTomatoes). Brie Larson reunited with ”Short Term 12" director Destin Daniel Cretton for the project, which also stars Naomi Watts and Woody Harrelson.

In limited release, Paramount's ”An Inconvenient Sequel" added 376 theaters this weekend for a total of 556 where it's expected to make $800,000. TWC expanded Taylor Sheridan's ”Wind River" to 45 locations, where it is earning $642,067. Neon's ”Ingrid Goes West," starring Aubrey Plaza and Elizabeth Olsen, should make $141,216 from just three locations. And A24's Robert Pattinson-starrer ”Good Time" is opening in four theaters to $137,625.

This time last year, ”Suicide Squad" suffered a steep second weekend drop to $43.5 million. But that is still more than this weekend's winner. And while Disney's ”Pete's Dragon" faltered, Sony's ”Sausage Party" surprised with $34.3 million, or about the same as ”Annabelle: Creation" this year. That is to say, the box office continues to slip behind, and the summer of hell is only getting hotter.

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Wow, Emoji Movie has a lower rottentomatoes score than Transformers Last Knight, The Dark Tower, and The Mummy.

It must truly be trash.

Even though I didn't love the movie as much as most people, good to see Baby Driver cross $100 million.

Nice to see Girls Trip will past that mark soon.

Have no interest in Annabelle 2 but that's a pretty good opening and I can't wait to see how IT performs.

I have at $60 million but can see it going higher.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
We're missing a big tentpole to close out the summer. August got left wide open for some reason. Which is weird considering how hard it is to get a clear date these days.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates

Despicable Me 3 - $920M
Wonder Woman - $797M
Pirates 5 - $787M
Spider-Man Homecoming - $702M
Transformers 5 - $594M
The Mummy - $405M
Dunkirk - $364M
War for the Planet of the Apes - $314M
The Emoji Movie - $77M
Annabelle Creation - $72M
The Dark Tower - $54M

Sean C

Baby Driver passes the $100 million mark, having already outgrossed the combined domestic totals of all previous Edgar Wright films.

It would have to manage $204 million worldwide to accomplish the same feat for the global box office (it currently stands at $166 million).

Worldwide Updates

Despicable Me 3 - $920M
Wonder Woman - $797M
Pirates 5 - $787M
Transformers 5 - $594M
Dunkirk - $364M

keep forgetting Despicable Me 3 is this big.

Also WW and SM is still not opened WW right? Which countries are those not out yet.

Kingsman should have come out this weekend, it would have been the perfect release date for it. I wonder why August is so deserted this year.

Dark Tower... Fuck. Probably the most wasted potential of any movie this year.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I'm concerned Kingsman will flop.

I'm not seeing any hype for this movie, as excited as I am for it personally. smh

Sesha

I just realized the girl in Ab2 is the same one from Ouija 2. Two good nr. 2s to two shitty 2014 horror movies starring the same actor.

Would have been even funnier if Conjuring 2 used the same girl.

Certinty

Spider-Man Homecoming at over 700m without China. Could turn out to be the biggest superhero movie this year if it does well over there.

China for SM and japan for WW

Both can / will go over 800M then :D

Barring a miracle in Japan for Wonder Woman, Spider-man will end up on top worldwide. Depending on China, Spider-Man might beat Guardians 2 worldwide as well.

I think it wont matter to WB , WW is such an unexpected success not that SM is not lol.

Homecoming is one of the least expensive SM movie right?

According to Goggle , SM:HC is 175 million USD VS WW's 149 million USD.

Both are doing really great in ROI if true.

SilentRob

These thread titles make me want to go to Gamefaqs to write an all Caps post about how Gaf is the worst thing ever. And its going to stay on the First Page for the next few weeks. Ugh D:

kswiston

These thread titles make me want to go to Gamefaqs to write an all Caps post about how Gaf is the worst thing ever. And its going to stay on the First Page for the next few weeks. Ugh D:

It will be gone in a week. Replaced by a pun about Logan Lucky and The Hitman's Bodyguard.

Worldwide Updates

Despicable Me 3 - $920M
Wonder Woman - $797M
Pirates 5 - $787M
Transformers 5 - $594M
The Mummy - $405M
Dunkirk - $364M
The Emoji Movie - $77M
Annabelle Creation - $72M
The Dark Tower - $54M
Wondy should surpass 800M worldwide this week isn't it? Holy shit

It will be gone in a week. Replaced by a pun about Logan Lucky and The Hitman's Bodyguard.

Although when this was a thread that 5 people posted in and it sank to the second or third page by Tuesday, incomprehensible and/or plain old dogshit thread titles from a guy who hasnt' really participated in the discussions he starts ever (and whose forum tag is a pre-cum joke) isn't that weird.

When the Box-Office thread is now consistently pulling 200-300k views and hitting 30-40 pages and is usually on the front page, if not in the top 20 threads at almost every time of the day, it's a bit of a different situation to have one of the most popular/friendly sub-communities on the board wearing one of the most consistently ugly/off-putting titles week-in/week-out.

I mean, I can see the argument.

But then again - it's just a thread title, I guess.

ASM2 made $94M in China, in 2014 money. We'll see how that translates for SMH.

With Japan, I'm not expecting a huge bump for Wonder Woman. But who knows. There's no great comparison to draw from.

Seems SMH also hasn't opened in Japan. Again, ASM2 was around $30M in 2014.

kswiston

that's just insane....is the movie getting a WW release, or will they be satisfied w/ a domestic exclusive?

It's been out domestically for 3 weekends. Up to about $2M here.

Wolf Warrior actually has the third best PTA in the Top 25 after Annabelle and Wind River. I am surprised that they only have it in 50 venues.

border

Wknd BO 8/18-8/20 - "Hitman" gets "Lucky" with a cream pie, while "Lemon" parties

If it isn't at least a funny pun on a film title, I don't see the point in needlessly lewd thread titles.

Hey, this was one of the few good ones. made me laugh.

that's just insane....is the movie getting a WW release, or will they be satisfied w/ a domestic exclusive?

The movie is out in Asia, although most of the BO came from China. Our local media give it some promotional coverage because an ex Singaporen actor was involved behind the screen in a big capacity or something . It did decently locally.

Local newspaper source , BO so far in SG is 58 thousand.

Edit

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/top-10-movies-104

Executive director

That Singapore guy is the Executive director for the movie and in charge of mostly the action scenes ?!

http://www.zaobao.com.sg/zentertainment/movies-and-tv/story20170802-783964

xaosslug

Although when this was a thread that 5 people posted in and it sank to the second or third page by Tuesday, incomprehensible and/or plain old dogshit thread titles from a guy who hasnt' really participated in the discussions he starts ever (and whose forum tag is a pre-cum joke) isn't that weird.

When the Box-Office thread is now consistently pulling 200-300k views and hitting 30-40 pages and is usually on the front page, if not in the top 20 threads at almost every time of the day, it's a bit of a different situation to have one of the most popular/friendly sub-communities on the board wearing one of the most consistently ugly/off-putting titles week-in/week-out.

I mean, I can see the argument.

But then again - it's just a thread title, I guess.

look, I have CONSISTENTLY made these threads for almost (over?) 10 years, barring a few bans or work/family related instances where I have asked someone to pitch hit. I started this back when no one gave a flying fuck about weekend box office. And for years I would tell peeps to pm me thread titles or whatever if they wanted to participate. It's all good. But no one cared. Ever. So whatever. I kept at it by myself coming up with a new thread title every week w/o fail. Sometimes I would take a comment someone made that I found interesting or funny and use that. Regardless of the shit I would get.

now, if y'all want to take the reins/responsibility of these threads now that it's a hot/popular topic be my guest and good luck. LOL

how about this: I will take a break from making these threads for a month. And y'all can do whatever you like. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Top Bottom