• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

MikeMyers

In Yellow, if you use a Super Rod in Fushia's City (in that pond behind the Good Rod's dude house), you can find a wild Gyarados.

I guess finding Pokemon that are the size of a building n your pond is no big deal in the Pokemon World.

I don't like it. Make it go away. :(

And just like that

karma-snap.gif

it's gone. You can rest easy, my friend.

yet cacturne is the only dark type to not learn bark out...

But he has the god-sent gift of being able to learn both Sucker Punch and Focus Punch, meaning if you max his attack EVs and are good at predicting your opponent's moves, you can easily sweep their entire team.

MikeMyers

I'm using Cacturne for the first time in my latest Ruby run. He swept Tate and Liza's whole gym, which is good because that is the Gym I always lose to.

Dunno how he fairs competitive though.

Keep him away from those pesky bugs (Heaven forbid he go against a Heracross). I would like to use a Cacturne one of these days but then again, if I want to use a grass Pokemon in Gen 3, I keep going back to Ludicolo because he's so cool.

MikeMyers

And base 110 speed, or a good secondary typing.
Which is pretty much the only way a Fire type stands a chance in OU

Flame Charge would boost his Speed anyway, and he can Baton Pass the Speed off to another Pokemon when he predicts a counter.

Flareon sucks :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Flame Charge would boost his Speed anyway, and he can Baton Pass the Speed off to another Pokemon when he predicts a counter.

Flareon is just weak

Stop trying to build up Flareon. He would still be terrible.

I'm glad you realise that Flareon is just weak and terrible. :p

MikeMyers

Stop trying to build up Flareon. He would still be terrible.

I'm glad you realise that Flareon is just weak and terrible. :p

But seriously, your comment about second types made me realize there is not one pure Fire type in OU besides Ninetails, who is OU only for his ability.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
But seriously, your comment about second types made me realize there is not one pure Fire type in OU besides Ninetails, who is OU only for his ability.

It's a great offensive type, but defensively it's horrific. Weak to Stealth Rock, the most common physical attack Earthquake, weak to Water, and many Pokemon receive Fire moves, so you don't need to run a Fire type to abuse things like Flamethrower and Fire Blast.

Now, make Fire (and Ice) resist Dragon, and we'd have something to talk about.

MikeMyers

It's a great offensive type, but defensively it's horrific. Weak to Stealth Rock, the most common physical attack Earthquake, weak to Water, and many Pokemon receive Fire moves, so you don't need to run a Fire type to abuse things like Flamethrower and Fire Blast.

Now, make Fire (and Ice) resist Dragon, and we'd have something to talk about.

What's the general consciousness on Ho-Oh in the Uber metagame? I imagine that massive Stealth Rock weakness might make people think twice about using it in a Uber team.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked up black! Is there a corresponding anime to watch as I play along with it?

What's the general consciousness on Ho-Oh in the Uber metagame? I imagine that massive Stealth Rock weakness might make people think twice about using it in a Uber team.

As long as you have something to deal with Stealth Rock, you should be fine. Groudon makes a nice teammate if only because of Drought.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

He's definitely used less than he was last generation after he received Brave Bird, but he's still a solid Pokemon.

SR is a problem, but it's not as crippling as you might think. Ho-Oh has both Recover and Roost to choose from to recover health, and there are few spin blockers to choose from (Giratina, Ghost Arceus although both are common) in the Uber metagame. Drizzle is more of an issue in my opinion, even with Brave Bird, because with Drizzle comes Kyogre and Palkia.

Although I don't play any metagame anymore, so this could all be bogus. :p

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

indeed. I switched to another pokemon that had rock smash so I could bring down its HP a little bit.

Except instead of picking rock smash, I accidentally picked rollout. I could only watch helplessly as the turns went by :(

Top Bottom