• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread 2: A thread on a popular internet message board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahonay

Banned
And let me tell you, Ugly Shepard is its own reward. The intense dissonance is amazing.
Hah, fuck yes.

Being someone who was a figure artist for a long time I was actually able to create a pretty descent looking customized Sheppard that looked natural. Modeled him after my own face for the most part, a way more awesome and heroic version of me.

Wish I were home so I could take a screencap.

Jintor

Hah, fuck yes.

Being someone who was a figure artist for a long time I was actually able to create a pretty descent looking customized Sheppard that looked natural. Modeled him after my own face for the most part, a way more awesome and heroic version of me.

Wish I were home so I could take a screencap.

I was at a ME3 preview event a few nights ago and me and some buddies tried to make the ugliest Shepard possible. No pics were allowed though :T

Duffyside

Banned
That seems to be a large part of the problem. It's easy (and disingenuous) to dismiss an argument because some of the people arguing the point use profanity or act "entitled".

Hah, it really isn't, and it makes people seem even more like babies throwing tantrums now that this "QUIT CALLING ME ENTITLED!" whining has come up. You can argue the point in a non-entitled way; "Wow, I don't like this practice because of what I think it might lead to, such as X, and I hope people don't reward it."

That is totally different than the feet-stomping, saying the company is holding you ransom, that they're forcing you to do anything, claiming that your history with the franchise means you deserve whatever.

Hey, here's another tidbit that's thrown around all the time to dismiss these arguments; don't like it don't buy it. I bet a lot of people hate that one too (because it's also true).

Hah, it really isn't, and it makes people seem even more like babies throwing tantrums now that this "QUIT CALLING ME ENTITLED!" whining has come up. You can argue the point in a non-entitled way; "Wow, I don't like this practice because of what I think it might lead to, such as X, and I hope people don't reward it."

That's exactly what people are doing, which is annoying when the response is to lie and claim that they're actually...

feet-stomping, saying the company is holding you ransom, that they're forcing you to do anything, claiming that your history with the franchise means you deserve whatever.

...which is bullshit.

It's almost as bullshit as the hilariously binary "vote with your dollars" which is an incredibly oversimplistic view of a very large and complicated issue.

Jintor

obonicus

It's almost as bullshit as the hilariously binary "vote with your dollars" which is an incredibly oversimplistic view of a very large and complicated issue.

The problem with 'vote with your dollars' is that it is, in some way, still voting. Which means you can lose. Which can suck if you're in the minority. I've seen otherwise reasonable posters on this board complain about 'vote with your dollars' coming to every possible conclusion but 'maybe other people just don't feel the same way'.

Then again I've had discussions with also-reasonable posters on this board who've basically argued against not boycotting/not buying a game with 'I don't want to support them, but if I don't buy the game, I won't get to play it'.

sixghost

It's the last I'll say on this, but I still fail to see why other players should be denied the chance to do something that they want to do simply because you have the opinion that original characters are ugly. And mark me: A lot of people disagree with you on that opinion.

Keep in mind: The vast majority of players choose to customize their Shepard. 83 percent in fact. So this isn't an obscure feature.
Because that's what you do when you are designing actual voiced, named, defined characters.

not gonna lie, i would play the entire trilogy over again if they let me do that

edit: i would pay if the refrigerator doesn't actually talk or it just spits out ice cubes when dialogue should play

Do you still choose dialog options or is it just a wheel of ellipses?

I completely lost the thread of the argument. What's all this ado about? Did I miss something, or is this still from Whitta's twitta?

A little conversation in TNT led to the post about Gary's twitter. Then time zones happened and it spiraled from there. It was kind of organic I think.

Duffyside

Banned
The problem with 'vote with your dollars' is that it is, in some way, still voting. Which means you can lose. Which can suck if you're in the minority.

Welcome to life? You don't always get what you want, or "win." Deal with it.

Edit: Ugh. If you guys thought Gary's tweet screen yesterday was damning (it wasn't), take a look at Ryan's latest (this, actually, is). Uses his feed/followers to pimp his relative needing a job in the games biz ± which I find... in terribly bad taste, to put it lightly — and then "at"s a friend calling the rest of the internet entitled. Just wow.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
See, this is why you shouldn't use twitter. Just assume that these people have no personalities outside of their podcasts and videos and you'll be fine.

Vire

Edit: Ugh. If you guys thought Gary's tweet screen yesterday was damning (it wasn't), take a look at Ryan's latest (this, actually, is). Uses his feed/followers to pimp his relative needing a job in the games biz ± which I find... in terribly bad taste, to put it lightly — and then "at"s a friend calling the rest of the internet entitled. Just wow.

Talk about over analyzing a tweet. Jesus christ you guys need to get a life.

It's his brother graduating from college and looking for a programming job in a tough economy. I don't really see anything wrong with it.

It's more of a shoutout then just "pimp"ing him.

obonicus

Did I say otherwise? What exactly are you replying to?

How exactly is it damning? Is Ryan selling review scores for employment? Or maybe he's reaching out to the contacts he's cultivated via running a successful website? Are you trying to point out some hypocrisy? At what point, then, does any of this have to do with entitlement? Was there some deleted tweet in which Ryan goes "god, I'm Ryan Davis of GiantBomb and I can't even get a job for my little bro, way to suck industry"? Because that would be entitlement. This is asking for a favor, at best, and probably not even that. Please explain why exactly this is so distasteful to you, because all I see from here is a crazy overrreaction.

AcridMeat

Banned

ib0OwqDUaSRpzx.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So like. I've stopped caring as much about the dlc after two or three years of it because I can't think of a single ability/item dlc in a game that I used for more than 30 minutes

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I got hooked on the quick look and watched the entire game played by DSP on Youtube. There's nothing there for me from a gameplay perspective, but it's hilarious and fun to watch, even for someone that doesn't like anime. Glad Brad gave it some recognition for being totally ridiculous, since normally he seems to be morally opposed to fun.

KorrZ

Even within the Quick Look you could sorta see Brad's perspective shift from not really digging it, to getting enthralled by the spectacular ridiculousness that Asura's Wrath is. Sold me on the game, not for $60, but in the future I'll pick it up.

Even within the Quick Look you could sorta see Brad's perspective shift from not really digging it, to getting enthralled by the spectacular ridiculousness that Asura's Wrath is. Sold me on the game, not for $60, but in the future I'll pick it up.

So true. Made it amazing.

newjeruse

There was a discussion on the Bombcast weeks ago about America's Funniest Videos. Anyone know which episode and what they discussed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom