• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 may be coming in April, there's reason to believe that

No. Listen:

1) At E3 2013, Nintendo announced a generic, tentative release date of "December 2013" to Super Mario 3D World

2) In late August, Nintendo clarified and stated Super Mario 3D World would definitively release on November 22nd, nine days before December. They did not waver from that final date

That is much, MUCH more different than Mario Kart 8's case.

When Nintendo definitively reveals a release date, they orient every further action around that particular date. Everything is meticulously planned to meet that particular date. If Nintendo announced "May 2013" and released it in late April, I could understand...but no...it's a lot harder for Nintendo to announce a date and then suddenly roll that date back an entire month on a whim.

It doesn't make sense for their company to do such an action.
OK, I remembered wrong then. I thought that a solid date was given for 3DW prior to DK getting delayed and 3DW moved up into its release date. If (and I do mean if) the game was finished early would that be enough of a reason to sit on it though?

Given how barren the Wii U release schedule is going to be and the console sales expectations from now until May I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that something like this could happen, especially if they have something else they could push up to release in May. I do agree that there's not enough evidence of that happening just based on these retailers changing their dates though.

Glass Joe

No. Listen:

1) At E3 2013, Nintendo announced a generic, tentative release date of "December 2013" to Super Mario 3D World

2) In late August, Nintendo clarified and stated Super Mario 3D World would definitively release on November 22nd, nine days before December. They did not waver from that final date

When Nintendo definitively reveals a release date, they orient every further action around that particular date. Everything is meticulously planned to meet that particular date. If Nintendo announced "May 2013" and released it in late April, I could understand...but no...it's a lot harder for Nintendo to announce a date and then suddenly roll that date back an entire month on a whim.

That's exactly what they did with Wind Waker though, IIRC. Not the standard retail disc, but digital came out early with a surprise announcement.

That's exactly what they did with Wind Waker though, IIRC. Not the standard retail disc, but digital came out early with a surprise announcement.

Well yeah they can do it much more easily with digital, but physical retail (Amazon) is an entirely different beast.

tauroxd

Shucks. Well May will be here in no time.

You mean june, right? Because calling this a may realease it's not that big of a true... I mean, yeas, but, hell, it's june, really. I simply can not believe that they would let such a big time between big games (DK and MK8) given the state of the console's sales.

No. Listen:

2) In late August, Nintendo clarified and stated Super Mario 3D World would definitively release on November 22nd, nine days before December. They did not waver from that final date.

But what if they do ?

Phazon

I asked Nintendo of Belgium today and they just confirmed to me that the game will be out on the 30th of May in EU and US.

No early release.

Around Easter Weekend?

Both their Friday and Sunday regular release dates would see most shops closed in Canada. Couriers wouldn't run on those dates either.

I think this is wishful thinking and Amazon has their shit wrong.

R0ckman

The Wii U sales these next 2 months are going to be shit heh heh. They should just mive it anyway. I remember when it was going to be originally April. I wonder if they were hoping Smash would fill the summer months? But seems they want smash to destroy X and Bayonetta sales during the holidays? What are these guys doing? Lmao.

Now Amazon says

"

"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DC7G2W8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not only that, but the listing has been re-corrected to May 30th.

qGCAeBB.png

I wonder what exactly was the origin of the issue, but I'm glad Amazon took the initiative to resolve it.

Roo

The Wii U sales these next 2 months are going to be shit heh heh. They should just mive it anyway. I remember when it was going to be originally April. I wonder if they were hoping Smash would fill the summer months? But seems they want smash to destroy X and Bayonetta sales during the holidays? What are these guys doing? Lmao.
Except that it never was slated for April...

Glass Joe

May 30th is faaaaaaar too long. Especially when there's nothing in between for a good 2 months.

Shovel Knight, Child of Light, and NES Remix 2 are all April. GBA Virtual Console stuff starts too. And The Hobbit if you're not sick to death of Lego games. So there's some good stuff, just not retail discs.

* Why do you laugh that the Wii U sales will be shit? That gives you pleasure?
* What does mive mean? I don't know what you're trying to convey.
* It was never April. It was "2014" and then "Spring 2014" before it got a date.
* Smash, X, and Bayonetta are all holiday titles now? Where do you get your release dates from?
* You're mocking Nintendo over release dates you made up in your head

Sorry, I don't mean to come off rude. Just your post is not really accurate.

Shovel Knight, Child of Light, and NES Remix 2 are all April. GBA Virtual Console stuff starts too. And The Hobbit if you're not sick to death of Lego games. So there's some good stuff, just not retail discs.

For retail / retail-esque titles in April we have:

1) Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate Deluxe Edition (Warner Bros.)
eShop Only, but based on retail game

2) The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Activision)

3) LEGO The Hobbit (Warner Bros.)
Technically March 31st

Yeah it's more Warner Bros. / Activision licensed fare, but hey, at least we have two third-parties that are willing to continue supporting Wii U with retail disk releases!

And yeah, LEGO The Hobbit looks great, and Blackgate should be good fun if you haven't purchased it initially for handhelds. :)

R0ckman

* Why do you laugh that the Wii U sales will be shit? That gives you pleasure?
* What does mive mean? I don't know what you're trying to convey.
* It was never April. It was "2014" and then "Spring 2014" before it got a date.
* Smash, X, and Bayonetta are all holiday titles now? Where do you get your release dates from?
* You're mocking Nintendo over release dates you made up in your head

Sorry, I don't mean to come off rude. Just your post is not really accurate.

• I laugh, because at this point it's just so ridiculous. What else can you do?
  • Typo, I was on my iphone, I meant "move".
  • May 30th is barely Spring anymore (arguably of course).
  • Where else are these titles going to fall that they will actually profit from? Smash will sell well and have long legs so it doesn't matter where it is released. The other two titles despite how good they are will not last as long. If Nintendo releases them instead of Smash in the summer, no one will buy them, if they expect Kart to ride them to a holiday release of Smash (which looks to be the case from my opinion) and also pad the 3rd and 4th quarter with these games Smash will make sure they don't sell either.
  • But I'm guessing they may try and throw out Hyrule Warriors for the summer. I don't know, all in all this was a pretty bad fuck up for the first half of the year. I am guessing DK Tropical Freeze was mainly delayed to prevent a 5-6 month drought.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I can wait until May 30 for Mario Kart since I want to play more on old games before their network is getting cut on May 20.

TWIST: April 18th is a date for Bi-Monthly Nintendo Direct.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
But... but I have finals starting May 1st. This does not bode well for my GPA.

Glass Joe

• I laugh, because at this point it's just so ridiculous. What else can you do?
  • Typo, I was on my iphone, I meant "move".
  • May 30th is barely Spring anymore (arguably of course).
  • Where else are these titles going to fall that they will actually profit from? Smash will sell well and have long legs so it doesn't matter where it is released. The other two titles despite how good they are will not last as long. If Nintendo releases them instead of Smash in the summer, no one will buy them, if they expect Kart to ride them to a holiday release of Smash (which looks to be the case from my opinion) and also pad the 3rd and 4th quarter with these games Smash will make sure they don't sell either.
  • But I'm guessing they may try and throw out Hyrule Warriors for the summer. I don't know, all in all this was a pretty bad fuck up for the first half of the year. I am guessing DK Tropical Freeze was mainly delayed to prevent a 5-6 month drought.

Oh I see. I thought maybe mive was slang for "kill the Wii U" due to the preceding sentence. Anyway from your argument, it's hard to come up with a scenario of Bayonetta or X selling regardless. They're not going to be big movers, but play supporting roles. There's rumblings of Bayonetta being a Summer release. Same rumblings of Hyrule Warriors. It would be dumb to release two similar games around the same time, but we'll see. I'd guess Bayo in early Fall, Smash for holiday, and X could be as far out as 2015. If Smash is ready sooner, they might put too much faith in Hyrule and make it holiday due to it being a Zelda.

They don't have enough games to play around with to make a great schedule. There's no good answer with what we know. Hopefully there's some surprises hidden. And I agree that's what they did with DK.

WHAT

I'll believe it when I see it, but man, if this is true I will be one happy camper! Mario Kart 8 is my most anticipated title, so to have it early would be a very welcome surprise.

Nintendo, clarify!

Edit: OK, May 30th, it is. Can't wait.

PopeReal

I have a huge backlog of games anyway. Need to finish ACIV and I have barely got anywhere on Mario 3D World and DKTF.

Wonderful 101 and Game&Wario are still sealed.

Cutebrute

Even with a May release date, shouldn't Nintendo have started to seriously market this game, like yesterday? It's been very quiet for such a major game.

Top Bottom