• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC to PS3 Media Streaming (DLNA) Thread

sk3tch

^^

I've got Nero 7 and I have no problems.

I have it loaded on 3 PCs and burn hundreds of discs. Just make sure when you install Nero 7 that you do a custom install. If you let it default (or typical) install it will really bloat it up.

I've been using Nero since the 90s. They're the best.

My post earlier has a free DLNA app...you may want to check that and skip the whole Nero thing.

Raistlin

rc213 said:
It's super bloated and crash prone. I'm still on Nero 6 which is all kinds of awesome.

Can Nero 6 still available?

Is MediaHome on it ... and if not, is it available separately? That is the main feature I want!

Raistlin

sk3tch said:
My post earlier has a free DLNA app...you may want to check that and skip the whole Nero thing.

I'm using TVersity ... and it's working okay.

I really want Nero MediaHome for the fact it automatically thumbs videos :p

sk3tch

Norml said:
Whats the point in twonky if it doesnt transcode?

The music-only version is completely free (all I need).

If you want video...it's $40 US and you can transcode using VLC.

Parallel

A bit of info for mac users, turn off your firewall first then add an additional service. Use "other" from the drop down menu and type in the default port (9000) for both TCP and UDP. After it's checked off, go back and enable firewall. :)

Raistlin

Thanks for not pointing out that I'm blind as fuk to not notice the OP mentions MediaHome is part of the Nero Digital Pro package :lol

Wow ... 3 hours of sleep really messes with my mind

Lain

sk3tch said:

How do you do that? To use VLC to transcode through TwonkyMedia and send it to the PS3?

anddo0

sk3tch said:

FREE!! Really?

thats all I need as well.. I mean the PS3 only MP4 (right?)

I'll just continue to use Red Kawa for video.

nero media home works pretty good, but it doesn't work with xvid which 95% of my videos are. i keep getting an error message that connection to the media share has been denied. sometimes my videos will still play despite it, sometimes they don't. any ideas?

Awesome I used Windows media player to do the sharing ant it worked. Hooray!
But NONE of my videos are supported, so, boo!
After this update I think the last couple things that need to be implemented to completely round out the package are:
In game XMB
Support for a lot more video formats
And finally, custom wallpapers.
Everything after that is complete gravy.

I keep getting errors with TVersity. It either tells me that I'm couldn't establish a connection or that I was denied. I have used Nero, but it doesn't support all my video files so I hope TVersity would, or at least support more then Nero did.

Porkepik

Well, I tested my connection and The PS3 says Unpn is not available but mine works fine with WMP11 and Mediahome (except for some video format stating the denied error message mostly avi pal 24fps files) so I think most of the error of not showing are mostly firewall/router problems.

anyway I'm not too much into video files(divx) and when I need I have a dvd/divx player in the living room so even if not all video format a recognized this does not bother me too much. The Picture and music sharing is a lot more important to me and that's what's working 100% for me so I'm an happy camper. Maybe Sony will develop some small program for the PC to easily stream video for the PS3 some time in the future

I'll need to try twonky to test the itunes streaming as my music collection is mostly in Itunes

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Onix said:
I'm using TVersity ... and it's working okay.

I really want Nero MediaHome for the fact it automatically thumbs videos :p

TVersity doesn't play MP3s for me.

eh i worked it out. i think my pc is slow and it refuses to start playing anything that's more than a few minutes long. short stuff all seems to work... but stuff more than ten minutes long... no worky. guess i'll stick to the 360 for stuff like this until my pc gets upgraded.

gtmax

Finally got the ps3 to recognize Nero. I got version 7 and didn't have the Device option in the menu. I restarted the program and it asked if i wanted to auto configure the firewall. That was the trick.

Karishin

Banned
Can't get mediahome to work.

I've followed all the steps in the tutorial but it doesnt show up on my XMB.
When I go to the devices tab it says nothing about UPNP, using nero 7 ultra, all that shows up on the list is my localhost and no options except auto access control.

WMP worked fine, all i did was pop it on and it showed up.

Can anyone help me out with my problem?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Christopher said:
Mejlin when you get it to work post in this thread what you exactly did.

Maybe I should upgrade to Vista?

I'm convinced it's a problem between the PS3 and my Linksys router, and that only new firmware (either PS3, or router) will fix this. I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of, and nothing makes a difference.

Too busy playing, you know, actual games, and don't really feel like futzing around recreating on the PS3 something I can already do flawlessly on my X360.

Norse

so, is anyone going to post the router they use?

Mines an old buffalo G54S and WM11 doesnt even see the PS3

Nero sees it but I got to see my pictures once and since nothing.

This is in Vista..360 works perfect with WM11.

So, what router are you people using that actually works?

gtmax

Karishin said:
Can't get mediahome to work.

I've followed all the steps in the tutorial but it doesnt show up on my XMB.
When I go to the devices tab it says nothing about UPNP, using nero 7 ultra, all that shows up on the list is my localhost and no options except auto access control.

WMP worked fine, all i did was pop it on and it showed up.

Can anyone help me out with my problem?
Try manually putting in mediahome in your firewall setting.

Karishin

Banned
gtmax said:
Try manually putting in mediahome in your firewall setting.

Don't have a firewall up at the moment either.

Edit: Okay, i enabled upnp in my router and it popped up, gonna see what I can get running!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Norml said:
how do you connect to the server? it just keeps saying unable to connect.

It just popped on the PS3 for me. Only photos work for me. All my music is unsupported even though they are MP3s.

ANd NO videos work.

Raistlin

ZOMG

For whatever reason, Nero Digital Pro is not downloadable to the US. So instead I grabbed the trial of Nero MediaHome CE (I think it's an older one) from http://www.nero.com/nerodigital/eng/download.php

Installed it with all defaults ... and my PS3 instantly recognized it.

Decided to try a WMV file. Works great.
Tried an AVI file. Works great.
Here's the kicker ... 720p .mp4 works flawlessly.

What's insane is that the 720 .mp4 actually starts almost instantly ... it's actually faster than the other formats.

My only problem is that all my.mp4 files are showing up as VideoHandler*, Video Media Handler*, or Apple Video Media Handler* ... while stuff like WMV and AVI files are showing up with their actual name.

Any suggestions?

Oh yeah ... AND TRY THIS SHIT OUT!!!!

belvedere

Junior Butler
Frustration to the max. This just doesn't make sense. UPnP has been enabled on my router the entire time and after re-saving changes in my router config I see both Nero Media Home and WMP media servers in the XMB pop up. When trying to connect they failed. I rebooted the PS3 and now they're gone. It's weird that this is a sporadic issue as I couldn't get the PS3 to see the media servers or vice versa before. Maybe a firmware update is due for my router (BEFSR41 V4)?

Raistlin

One other issue with the MediaHome CE version is that it doesn't create thumbs for the videos.

Does this automatically happen with those people using the newest version from Nero 7????

Dizzan

MINI Member
belvedere said:
Frustration to the max. This just doesn't make sense. UPnP has been enabled on my router the entire time and after re-saving changes in my router config I see both Nero Media Home and WMP media servers in the XMB pop up. When trying to connect they failed. I rebooted the PS3 and now they're gone. It's weird that this is a sporadic issue as I couldn't get the PS3 to see the media servers or vice versa before. Maybe a firmware update is due for my router (BEFSR41 V4)?

Ive got exactly the same problem. It even displays the folder names but it gives me a "Connection to the media server could not be established" message when trying to view folder contents

PLEASE HELP GAF

Karishin

Banned
belvedere said:

i feel your pain, mediahome keeps failing on me, "cannot connect to network". Ps3 says upnp isnt on when it us. Can't see any files with mediahome.

Hope I can get it working, its a nice conecept and would like to get some streaming going on!

Maybe I need to get a gigabit router or something, cause it takes ages for the things to even pop up on the list, atleast with nero. Just getting the directory listings takes ages, so I dunno whats up with my config.

Shit, I own a legal Nero 7 license, but when I try to install the latest version I get a message about it being incompatible with the currently installed version of "". Yes, it doesn't tell me the actual app. Anybody ever see this?

Raistlin

Karishin said:
i feel your pain, mediahome keeps failing on me, "cannot connect to network". Ps3 says upnp isnt on when it us. Can't see any files with mediahome.

Hope I can get it working, its a nice conecept and would like to get some streaming going on!

With the PS3 on the XMB, click Stop Server in MediaHome ... verify that Disable DNLA Profile Support (under settings) is NOT checked ... turn on server in MediaHome.

Go see if the it auto detects in the XMB.

Other things to consider ... in the PS3's Network Settings, make sure Media Server Connection is enabled.

Also, you may want to verify nothing weird is going on with your firewall.

BTW - Are you using WiFi? I haven't tried it ... with ethernet, it seems to be running great on my end.

wow, the transcoding in nero media home is pretty good...

if only you could ff/rew with the transcodes...

and Onix, the mp4's play instantly because they don't have to be transcoded

Raistlin

The Faceless Master said:
and Onix, the mp4's play instantly because they don't have to be transcoded

:lol That makes sense.

Some people said previously they couldn't get mp4's working natively, so I assumed they were transcoded.

Do you have any idea why the names of all my mp4's are butchered?

Lain

Onix said:
ZOMG

For whatever reason, Nero Digital Pro is not downloadable to the US. So instead I grabbed the trial of Nero MediaHome CE (I think it's an older one) from http://www.nero.com/nerodigital/eng/download.php

Installed it with all defaults ... and my PS3 instantly recognized it.

Decided to try a WMV file. Works great.
Tried an AVI file. Works great.
Here's the kicker ... 720p .mp4 works flawlessly.

What's insane is that the 720 .mp4 actually starts almost instantly ... it's actually faster than the other formats.

My only problem is that all my.mp4 files are showing up as VideoHandler*, Video Media Handler*, or Apple Video Media Handler* ... while stuff like WMV and AVI files are showing up with their actual name.

Any suggestions?

Oh yeah ... AND TRY THIS SHIT OUT!!!!

I tried that, and it isn't working for me.
I tried with some .AVI encoded in Xvid/MP3.
If i pick Nero digital/MPEG-4 for transcoding, every video shows as unsupported.
If i leave it as automatic, videos show as MPEG-2 on PS3 BUT none of them works, the server shows the video being loaded but all the transcoder does is loading up alot of ffdshow decoder windows and the percentage on the server stays 0.0% while the PS3 tells me I've been denied access to the multimedia server.

I wonder where's the problem... normal real MPEG-2 files do work with this Nero MediaHome CE.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Karishin said:

Maybe I need to get a gigabit router or something, cause it takes ages for the things to even pop up on the list, atleast with nero. Just getting the directory listings takes ages, so I dunno whats up with my config.

The weird thing is, the PS3 connection test verifies that UPnP is working correctly.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Onix said:
With the PS3 on the XMB, click Stop Server in MediaHome ... verify that Disable DNLA Profile Support (under settings) is NOT checked ... turn on server in MediaHome..

I'm not seeing a "settings" in Media Home. Just options, network, shared directories, devices, transcoding, tv and settings.

Edit:

Also, it appears that Media Home believes the PS3 isn't available as it's listed as "offline" in the devices menu.

Onix said:
:lol That makes sense.

Some people said previously they couldn't get mp4's working natively, so I assumed they were transcoded.

Do you have any idea why the names of all my mp4's are butchered?
no idea, the names of mp4's show fine with wmp11's media server, but not in nero...

DrGAKMAN

Banned
ORB for Wii allows you to stream to other devices (I'd image PS3 as well) via your network.

Seems straight forward enough...but I haven't tried it yet, just ordered a new Vista PC (finally, this PC I'm on is like over 7yo and can only run Win98SE).

Raistlin

belvedere said:
I'm not seeing a "settings" in Media Home. Just options, network, shared directories, devices, transcoding, tv and settings.

Edit:

Also, it appears that Media Home believes the PS3 isn't available as it's listed as "offline" in the devices menu.

Ah. I don't have the devices menu; I'm using an older trial version. The settings menu is one of the large icons on the left ... looks like a hammer.

That's weird that the PS3 is listed as offline. Is it possible that your firewall is blocking it ... or you don't have Media Server Connection enabled in the XMB?

BTW - are you using WiFi? If so, try ethernet for the hell of it (if possible).

Raistlin

The Faceless Master said:
no idea, the names of mp4's show fine with wmp11's media server, but not in nero...

Do you have nero? If so, which version did you verify that mp4 names are botched?

As a test, I'm in the midst of ripping Idle Hands to Nero Digital MPEG-4 using Nero Recode 2 CE (one of the other free downloads). I'll see if that shows up normally.

If not, I'm going to copy it to the PS3 harddrive and see if the name shows up then. If that is the case, it may be an issue with the PS3 client.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Onix said:
Ah. I don't have the devices menu; I'm using an older trial version. The settings menu is one of the large icons on the left ... looks like a hammer.

That's weird that the PS3 is listed as offline. Is it possible that your firewall is blocking it ... or you don't have Media Server Connection enabled in the XMB?

BTW - are you using WiFi? If so, try ethernet for the hell of it (if possible).

I've been experimenting with this on two different machines on my home network. One is my work laptop (wireless) the other is my LAN enabled gaming rig. I have exception rules for the apps in my firewall config and I've tried turning the firewall completely off to no avail. Media server is enabled in the XMB. Very weird issue. At first WMP11 and Media Home never saw my PS3 (unknown device) and my PS3 never successfully found anything when searching for media servers. After re-enabling UPnP on my router on one occasion, both WM and Media Home icons appeared. Then they were gone and haven't returned. I've tried upgrading my firmware, restoring factory defaults and even using port forwarding for the ports in question on the PS3.

This sucks as I really want to get this working because if I do, the PS3 will finally be able to completely replace XBMC for me.

Lain

My .mp4 showed their names exactly as it is through Nero, but then again they mostly do not work because of the type of profile/level they're encoded in.

Onix said:
Do you have nero? If so, which version did you verify that mp4 names are botched?
Nero MediaHome v1.3.0.3

Dizzan said:
OK my ps3 says uPnP: Not available.

Could this be the problem?

Thanks in advance
if you mean under network settings/test, that's for UPnP routers, and has nothing to do with DLNA/UPnP media streaming

Raistlin

belvedere said:
I've been experimenting with this on two different machines on my home network. One is my work laptop (wireless) the other is my LAN enabled gaming rig. I have exception rules for the apps in my firewall config and I've tried turning the firewall completely off to no avail. Media server is enabled in the XMB. Very weird issue. At first WMP11 and Media Home never saw my PS3 (unknown device) and my PS3 never successfully found anything when searching for media servers. After re-enabling UPnP on my router on one occasion, both WM and Media Home icons appeared. Then they were gone and haven't returned. I've tried upgrading my firmware, restoring factory defaults and even using port forwarding for the ports in question on the PS3.

This sucks as I really want to get this working because if I do, the PS3 will finally be able to completely replace XBMC for me.

:( That sucks.

I suppose there is always one last resort:

* Power off your LAN PC and PS3 (may want to disable the WiFi on your laptop).
* Unplug your router, and then plug it back in after 10 seconds.
* Once the router has finished initializing, power on your PS3 and go to the XMB
* Power on your LAN PC and turn on the Nero Server.

Top Bottom