• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT3| When having no onions makes you cry

friz898

I guess curada users are not in abundance.

I don't use it much currently but it is only because it's at 4 uses.

Maybe I should rethink it's importance.

I do use Meltdown often.

Xetherion

I was thinking earlier about the Nightmare Shatter thing.

When you shatter (I haven't even brought up the screen to confirm) doesn't it give you back a nightmare record? I mean, on one hand, I see why not, on the other hand, I mean, you are getting back what you used to make it....

....surely there will be future (and not too distant either) ways to get these spells? I mean, I'm not ready to pull trigger either, but I'm looking for some reassurance here to be reckless like cpp!

Shattering doesn't give you back everything, it only gives back half of the orbs/crystals used. Pretty sure it won't give back the record but haven't checked to be certain, you're welcome to do so and let us know what you find.

There hasn't been any other way to get these abilities in Japan. If they do ever get other ways, it will be ~6 months after they get it that we do.

Kain

What a happy coincidence, I shattered NC this morning because I wanted to hone SS and I got the nightmare record back.

friz898

What a happy coincidence, I shattered NC this morning because I wanted to hone SS and I got the nightmare record back.

Hey Hey! Cheers!

I was going to check on this at the gas station when not driving lol!

Looking at Northern Cross and Reraise reeeeeaaallll Hard!

Balphon

I'd put the 6* in three big groups:

Good (always useful):

Affliction Break
Curada
Meltdown
Mug Bloodlust
Omega Drive
Snowspell Strike
Stitch in Time
Valigarmanda

Situational (maybe use these if you use a character they work well with):

Demonsblood
Dervish
Lifebane
Northern Cross
Sky High (until Aerial Dive is out, then avoid it)
Ultima

Bad (don't create or hone these):

Aegis Strike
Crushdown
Neo Bahamut
Penalty Snipe
Quadruple Foul
Reraise

friz898

I'd put the 6* in three big groups:

Good (always useful):

Affliction Break
Curada
Meltdown
Mug Bloodlust
Omega Drive
Snowspell Strike
Stitch in Time
Valigarmanda

Situational (maybe use these if you use a character they work well with):

Demonsblood
Dervish
Lifebane
Northern Cross
Sky High (until Aerial Dive is out, then avoid it)
Ultima

Bad (don't create or hone these):

Aegis Strike
Crushdown
Neo Bahamut
Penalty Snipe
Quadruple Foul
Reraise

What's your thoughts on Neo Behamut, besides it being born a Summon spell and thus hampered from the get-go. Is your thinking that although non-elemental, there is cheapter/nearly-as-good sources?

I'm not here to defend it, I just haven't shattered it yet.

Did shatter, NC, Reraise, and Crushdown today though. I've never made Penalty Snipe or Quadrupple Foul.

I haven't shattered Aegis Strike since Holy anything is good, although I may since there is better sources of Holy and Aegis Strike's main appeal is AE dmg.

Edit: When I originally created any of the above that I shattered, I had these grand ideas of how great these abilities/spells would be since I had just overcome a Nightmare challenge and was full of gusto.

Balphon

Even with the buffs Neo Bahamut isn't enough of an improvement over a 5* summon to justify the cost. If you want to use a 6* summon it should be Valigarmanda to take advantage of the elemental coverage. Fire/Ice/Lightning are actually the weaker elements for summons, so Valigarmanda gives you good elemental coverage and a chance for a couple of big hits to any vulnerable boss.

Well, had a right laugh on the Type-0 MP. U+. Two white mages, one of which had Shellga (the other did not have protectga). Everyone did stuff at the start which put Golem into boosted mode then ultimate jumps killed three party members; my Fran and both healers (but not before one arose the other and the other was Lenna with burst...which she got killed before using). At this point I thought we were dead for sure but we somehow kept piling the damage on (it is an U+ so you do big damage with abilities when softcapped) and the other jump we saw went onto a level 99 Ashe who barely tanked it (then healed herself with burst command). I was gutted that my Vaan missed the killing blow with a second cast of burst entry but I literally could not do any more damage (every hit was 9999).

Auron saved our butt as he ate and evaded all the counter punches (draw fire+demonsblood does that I suppose) and was next to my Vaan (def boost from mug bloodlust) and we took nearly all the punch throws.

The moral of the story is don't despair because sometimes miracles happen. The random bonus loot was a bravery mote. Appropriate.

friz898

Well, had a right laugh on the Type-0 MP. U+. Two white mages, one of which had Shellga (the other did not have protectga). Everyone did stuff at the start which put Golem into boosted mode then ultimate jumps killed three party members; my Fran and both healers (but not before one arose the other and the other was Lenna with burst...which she got killed before using). At this point I thought we were dead for sure but we somehow kept piling the damage on (it is an U+ so you do big damage with abilities when softcapped) and the other jump we saw went onto a level 99 Ashe who barely tanked it (then healed herself with burst command). I was gutted that my Vaan missed the killing blow with a second cast of burst entry but I literally could not do any more damage (every hit was 9999).

Auron saved our butt as he ate and evaded all the counter punches (draw fire+demonsblood does that I suppose) and was next to my Vaan (def boost from mug bloodlust) and we took nearly all the punch throws.

The moral of the story is don't despair because sometimes miracles happen. The random bonus loot was a bravery mote. Appropriate.

How do you mess up the Golem encounter? I haven't even read the rules, but I've done it multiple times no problem. In fact, I randomly bring different people so as to not be bored.

Seriously, was it a low level group or not a full 8 or something?

friz898

Proving how badly I need something to do in FFRK, I've farmed over 20 Wind and Lightning today.

Few more and I can hone Chain Thundaga up to r3 since I didn't get that chain spell done during fest.

Rubenov

I think having these 4 - 5 days of lull time hurts the game; hope they don't do this again.

When there's a 1 STAM multiplayer fight I play it a few times a day... trying different SBs / characters and learning from things people come up with.

Now I'm just waiting on stamina to get three more MDOs.

Xetherion

It's a mobile game, it's not meant to be played 24/7. I play something else or do other things when i don't have stamina. I welcome the break from the barrage of events we just had.

friz898

It's a mobile game, it's not meant to be played 24/7. I play something else or do other things when i don't have stamina. I welcome the break from the barrage of events we just had.

Just the opposite to me.

Mobile games are constantly trying to pull people back in, with notificaitons saying such and such chest is ready, such and such armor is ready.

It's the mentality of having a phone and always having it with you.

I play two phone games daily. The other one is exactly as I stated here with constant guild battles on a 2 hour timer, along with other forms of pvp and pve.

For FFRK, once you've done everything, an event takes a max of 3, maybe 4 hours. Then nothing for a few days.

Fortunately they at least have daily dungeons. (Obviously hinting that it's meant to be played daily!)

As for other games, phone games, including FFRK, generally can be played in short bursts, even while sitting in a doctor's waiting room. That kind of thing. Who's lugging around Vitas or 3DS or I guess now switches? I mean, nothing wrong with that, but I'm 38.

Also, when I'm not out and about and I'm at home, that's Wife and Son time, so I simply do not have time to really use my gamer pc or my ps4. FF15 and FF12R are being neglected for this very reason. This is also why I recently purchased FF9 for phone.

Xetherion

Just the opposite to me.

Mobile games are constantly trying to pull people back in, with notificaitons saying such and such chest is ready, such and such armor is ready.

It's the mentality of having a phone and always having it with you.

I play two phone games daily. The other one is exactly as I stated here with constant guild battles on a 2 hour timer, along with other forms of pvp and pve.

For FFRK, once you've done everything, an event takes a max of 3, maybe 4 hours. Then nothing for a few days.

Fortunately they at least have daily dungeons. (Obviously hinting that it's meant to be played daily!)

As for other games, phone games, including FFRK, generally can be played in short bursts, even while sitting in a doctor's waiting room. That kind of thing. Who's lugging around Vitas or 3DS or I guess now switches? I mean, nothing wrong with that, but I'm 38.

Also, when I'm not out and about and I'm at home, that's Wife and Son time, so I simply do not have time to really use my gamer pc or my ps4. FF15 and FF12R are being neglected for this very reason. This is also why I recently purchased FF9 for phone.

I didn't think about notifications because i always turn them off.

I also play two phone games daily, but neither have any kind of timer other than a stamina bar. I despise timers because i'd rather play when i feel like it. I hate stamina bars because they compel me to play even when i don't feel like it so i don't "waste" resources. Or, rarely, they keep me from playing when i do feel like it because i'm out of stamina. I play FFRK anyway because i love pretty much everything else about the game.

But stamina bars are the real culprit, not the lack of content. If there were no stamina bar, Rubenov could play the current MP battle to his heart's content, or farm MDO's for as long as he had time to play.

Stamina mechanics are garbage.

friz898

I didn't think about notifications because i always turn them off.

I also play two phone games daily, but neither have any kind of timer other than a stamina bar. I despise timers because i'd rather play when i feel like it. I hate stamina bars because they compel me to play even when i don't feel like it so i don't "waste" resources. Or, rarely, they keep me from playing when i do feel like it because i'm out of stamina. I play FFRK anyway because i love pretty much everything else about the game.

But stamina bars are the real culprit, not the lack of content. If there were no stamina bar, Rubenov could play the current MP battle to his heart's content, or farm MDO's for as long as he had time to play.

Stamina mechanics are garbage.

Right. The original discussion being that phone games are actually made to be played daily. Not how you prefer to play them. It was simply the counter argument for stating that they are NOT meant to be played daily.

Stamina bars do suck. But after being forced to pace myself through all the content, it now reallys means nothing. Farming dailies, stamina bar or not, is no more fun than leveling up a character in an MMO who actually isn't leveling but trying to farm some type of rare material for crafting a vest that is +2 stats better than current gear. You realize the closest thing to FFRK would be an MMO that has new content at monthly patches, weekend exp events, and a game that never finishes.

Xetherion

Right. The original discussion being that phone games are actually made to be played daily. Not how you prefer to play them. It was simply the counter argument for stating that they are NOT meant to be played daily.

Stamina bars do suck. But after being forced to pace myself through all the content, it now reallys means nothing. Farming dailies, stamina bar or not, is no more fun than leveling up a character in an MMO who actually isn't leveling but trying to farm some type of rare material for crafting a vest that is +2 stats better than current gear. You realize the closest thing to FFRK would be an MMO that has new content at monthly patches, weekend exp events, and a game that never finishes.

I originally stated they're not meant to be played daily because Rubenov was complaining about the lack of content and the lack of a 1 stam MP battle. That statement was wrong, I admit. That's why I clarified that if there was no stamina bar, he'd be able to play the current MP battle as much as he wanted to play a 1 stam MP battle, or farm MDO as much as he wanted rather than waiting for stam. Lack of content is not the root of either of those problems, the stamina mechanic is.

As for comparing FFRK to an MMO, I disagree with that comparison. Dailies can be auto'd, i don't even look at my phone other than to start a stage and click through the rewards screens when i do dailies. FFRK also gets new content more than once a month, with new abilities and/or characters almost every week, as well as new bosses from time to time, and old bosses showing up with new mechanics. Really, the weekly events are the content i look forward to, the monthly DU's are usually nothing but mythril/other rewards to collect because the difficulty of the normal/elite dungeons is too low to be challenging now.

Anustart

Was worried no event tonight as reddit seemingly doesn't have the 2 megathreads up. But it starts tonight, so I dunno why they aren't on reddit....

Doing an 11 pull tonight, expecting 1/11 ssb.

Was worried no event tonight as reddit seemingly doesn't have the 2 megathreads up. But it starts tonight, so I dunno why they aren't on reddit....

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/6p8kbc/as_the_sky_falls_ff_viii_megathread/

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKe...elic_discussion_as_the_sky_falls_chickenwuss/

They were put up a few days ago so they probably just fell off the first page. (I don't really "get" Reddit... It feels obscure and difficult to use compared to a conventional message board like NeoGAF. The only thing I look at on Reddit is the FFRK group.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/6p8kbc/as_the_sky_falls_ff_viii_megathread/

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKe...elic_discussion_as_the_sky_falls_chickenwuss/

They were put up a few days ago so they probably just fell off the first page. (I don't really "get" Reddit... It feels obscure and difficult to use compared to a conventional message board like NeoGAF. The only thing I look at on Reddit is the FFRK group.)

Yeah, always check the upper right hand corner of the sub. They usually are really good at keeping that up to date with megathreads etc.

Anustart

Shocking. 1/11 ssb. Fuck this game. I've pulled so many 1/11s its unbelievable. 14% my fucking nut sack. I barely play anymore as it is. Probably done for good now. Everyone else will be showing off their 10/11's, 7 usb pulls and I always get 1/11 ssb. If it were bsb+ banner, i'd go off banner ssb.

Shocking. 1/11 ssb. Fuck this game. I've pulled so many 1/11s its unbelievable. 14% my fucking nut sack. I barely play anymore as it is. Probably done for good now. Everyone else will be showing off their 10/11's, 7 usb pulls and I always get 1/11 ssb. If it were bsb+ banner, i'd go off banner ssb.

If it makes you feel better, before gauranteed 5-star I pulled probably 10+ 0/11 pulls including about $100 of actual money spent with zero return.

I do feel your pain though. Most of my luck usually comes from fests or lucky pulls. Regular banner pulls always feel like total ass.

Anustart

If it makes you feel better, before gauranteed 5-star I pulled probably 10+ 0/11 pulls including about $100 of actual money spent with zero return.

I do feel your pain though. Most of my luck usually comes from fests or lucky pulls. Regular banner pulls always feel like total ass.

Yeah back when it was non-g5 I dunno if I pulled a single 5 star. Played for like 3 months like that, quit for a year after.

I guess the optimistic look at it is is I pulled seifer's gloves. Boostga for 8 realm I guess. Still need a medica and a haste tho.

friz898

Hey did a pull.

100 gem was nothing.

3/11 Quisitis BSB which looks good, first poison relic,

Also Laguna Vega and Seifer glove not sure how good those are yet.

Would like Squall BSB but not pulling. Trap banner on one of my best realms.

Saving for a pull each on IV-1 and IV-2. To hopefully round out that realm.

Then it's save for a pull on VI-1 and hopefully enough for VI-2.

Rubenov

cpp, are you seeking out Squall USB to complete him, or is it something else? I'm trying to think of scenarios of it being more advantageous than BSB2... maybe at JS300 to start w/Cloud USB -> USB -> SSS (post buff) to kill the boss quickly without having to charge up the BSB2, but not too sure on the math here.

cpp, are you seeking out Squall USB to complete him, or is it something else? I'm trying to think of scenarios of it being more advantageous than BSB2... maybe at JS300 to start w/Cloud USB -> USB -> SSS (post buff) to kill the boss quickly without having to charge up the BSB2, but not too sure on the math here.

It seems pretty good when you're fighting multiple enemies. That said, you're right that the bsb2 has more overall utility

Shadow780

My FF8 relics are pretty ass besides Raijin BSB everybody else is on old relics. I'll probably pull twice here.

Edit:

2/22

Seifer BSB and Squall LM

;//////////

friz898

Kinda feel like maybe I should quit. I'm not really bored of the game or anything, but I kind of want to stop spending money on it lol

You know that statement begs a bunch of replies not aimed at you quitting the game.

I guess you knowingly post that with the intention of being open to all forms of feedback.

You know that statement begs a bunch of replies not aimed at you quitting the game.

I guess you knowingly post that with the intention of being open to all forms of feedback.

Uhh, maybe? I just post what's on my mind, wasn't actually thinking about what kinds of feedback it might generate. But lay it on anyways!

Xetherion

Kinda feel like maybe I should quit. I'm not really bored of the game or anything, but I kind of want to stop spending money on it lol

You could play the game without spending money on it. Unless you have a mental illness that would compel you to spend money if you keep playing, in which case you probably should quit, and stay away from all gacha games in general.

WarAdept

Type 0 music is mint.

Type 0 everything else is a load of rubbish.

God I hate Type 0.

Loving all these Sharpshooter abilities to spam now.

You could play the game without spending money on it. Unless you have a mental illness that would compel you to spend money if you keep playing, in which case you probably should quit, and stay away from all gacha games in general.

Mental illness sounds weird, but I definitely do have a problem with these kinds of games. It doesn't create a financial burden luckily, but i can easily spend like $2k/year on these kinds of games.

If you can't control it then quit, or block in app purchases from the game or remove your CC info from the phone. Another extreme solution is selling all your relics, orbs and abilities, uninstall, get drunk and cry yourself to sleep lol.

Top Bottom