• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3: the single-player aiming problems thread [Details in Op, Please Read]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only really found it detrimental with pistols, where precision is key. While it's still there with other weapons, like automatics and shotguns, I find I really have to concentrate to notice the difference.

I'm torn on the melee stuff. While I like the concept behind the expansions, contextual stuff etc, enemies just take way too long to go down. Given that the game now seems to push melee on you way more often, both with enemies rushing you in regular fights and straight up fist fights, it gets tiresome after a while.

revolverjgw said:
Well I have played it and I can say the core mechanic is nowhere near broken, it's just not as good as it was

Fair enough, hopefully they'll have fixed it before I pick up a new PS3 in Dec.

Although the comments from ND employee seem to suggest a fix might not be forthcoming any time soon.

Ra1den

Speedymanic said:
Fair enough, hopefully they'll have fixed it before I pick up a new PS3 in Dec.

Although the comments from ND employee seem to suggest a fix might not be forthcoming any time soon.

Damn, where are these comments?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So. Am I to conclude from this that hardcore players don't like sticky aiming, because they like a consistent speed of travel on the reticule?

I'd like some of those that gave the game a perfect review to explain if this was something they encountered or not.

They won't of course, but its nice to want things.

Akkad

Banned
A big FUCK YOU to the people complaining that this deserves a thread. YES, it deserves a thread, it is a fucking problem and ND needs to really respond to it. Now go and troll in another thread, assholes.

Ra1den

Clear said:
So. Am I to conclude from this that hardcore players don't like sticky aiming, because they like a consistent speed of travel on the reticule?

I don't think that there is all there is to it. The way it moves is different as well...very blocky, rather than circular and smooth like U2 was.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Ehh

I thought it sucked at first but after half an hour I adjusted. It's not that much of an issue...

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Clear said:

I don't know what this has to do with being hardcore, but the way aiming felt made complete sense in UC2, and it was a nice improvement over UC1, which sometimes felt slightly off compared to other TPS games.

The way aiming works in UC3 is impairing the playability for me and many others and it's hard to describe why exactly, but part of it must be the acceleration model.

I'm not yet halfway through the game, and I'm not going to stop playing or anything drastic, but the problem was immediately obvious to me. Making fine adjustments to my aim, in the way I was able to in previous Uncharted games, was not working.

I would be extremely happy if they'd patch in a "classic" aiming option.

Mama Robotnik said:
I'd like some of those that gave the game a perfect review to explain if this was something they encountered or not.

It is indeed strange that when Uncharted 1 came out, reviewers were plenty vocal about the shooting and how it felt slightly unpolished, like you might expect from a dev studio's first third-person shooter.

They also commented that the feel of gunplay had been improved in UC2.

So why wasn't this mentioned in reviews of UC3?

Manp

AndrewDean84xX said:
How can we notice it in less than a day and reviewers didn't? Something isn't right here....

it's always the same for every game. reviewers never seems to notice shit

Mama Robotnik said:
In fairness its as good a theory as any. It beggars belief that a significant number of players can recognise an apparent aiming fault, yet nearly every single review from supposedly experienced gaming journalists neglected to mention such a failing in their ten-out-of-ten-review observations.

Another theory is the one I suggested earlier, that aiming could have been more refined in the prerelease yet somehow knackered in the final product.
Aiming is a big problem in this game. I was playing it on hard than switched to normal, when i did that the aiming got worse.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Ra1den said:
Are you aware of anything more recent? I really hope they haven't dropped the issue already.

That's why this thread needs to exist and remain civil so they can't discount it out of hand like all the review bitching threads.

The more people who state their complaints in a reasonable way, the harder it will be to ignore.

StuBurns

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
It is indeed strange that when Uncharted 1 came out, reviewers were plenty vocal about the shooting and how it felt slightly unpolished, like you might expect from a dev studios first third-person shooter.

They also commented that the feel of gunplay had been improved in UC2.

So why wasn't this mentioned in reviews of UC3?
I can't imagine people didn't notice, it's pretty blatant, from the very first time you use a gun, so I think there's a chance they didn't mention it because it wasn't there. Maybe they didn't play gold code and something changed.

Ra1den

hey_it's_that_dog said:
That's why this thread needs to exist and remain civil so they can't discount it out of hand like all the review bitching threads.

The more people who state their complaints in a reasonable way, the harder it will be to ignore.

Yes indeed.

Is Arne even aware of this thread, btw? I'm avoiding the OT as I don't wanna get spoiled on anything.

Jocchan said:
If you mean
the one in the Citadel, right before the zipline
, I was extremely puzzled there as well.
Yeah, that's the one. The red dot was lined up perfectly, but I'd take cover after the shot only to find the guy didn't die or even get hit.

Anteater

Ra1den said:
Yes indeed.

Is Arne even aware of this thread, btw? I'm avoiding the OT as I don't wanna get spoiled on anything.

I hope he is, I think the last comment he made about it was that it's the same as UC2 because they tested the whole "square motion" thing and it happened in both UC2 and 3 (by rotating the analogue stick in a circle), since the person was saying that's the culprit to the problem, but I think there's more to it.

It was from this thread on ND's forum:

http://forums.naughtydog.com/t5/General-Discussion/Big-problem-with-the-aiming-with-L1/td-p/607411/page/2

AwakenedCloud said:
I was about 30 minutes from popping this game in, should I start now or wait for a patch?

I mean, its not game-breaking or anything, but its to the point where you can even enjoy the midly-exciting beginning sections of the game due to the pistols being AWFUL

Zoibie

AwakenedCloud said:
I was about 30 minutes from popping this game in, should I start now or wait for a patch?

Yeah, start it. It doesn't ruin the game by any means, and once you get automatic weapons it's much less of a nuisance.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
hey_it's_that_dog said:
I don't know what this has to do with being hardcore, but the way aiming felt made complete sense in UC2, and it was a nice improvement over UC1, which sometimes felt slightly off compared to other TPS games.

You're right. Actually who I was thinking of could be better described as experienced or maybe more adept/skilled shooter players. "Hardcore player" was a bad choice of words.

Point being, I can imagine it being intrusive if you are very good at fine aiming -especially tracking moving targets because essentially what it means is that any legitimate target is an area of increased friction. Given that there's some momentum/acceleration on the reticule movement anyway I can see it making it more complex than is desirable.

I'm just wondering if ND has inadvertently punished better players in order to help out those less skilled?

If so, hopefully they can just patch in a toggle.

My copy of UC3 is sat in front of me right now, but I'm determined to finish up Dark Souls before I get stuck in... I was just skimming the thread.

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
First post nails it.

Plus, Arne is in the official thread. I would understand this thread if there wasn't someone from the development team you could simply tell in the OT.

BTW did the pistol always have the follow-through reticle bloom? I like it.

I explained why this is a separate thread.

Cool, I'll go ahead and start it up. I was just worried because you only get to fully experience the campaign once in the Uncharted games and I'd hate to have it be lackluster. This sucks though, I'm a huge fan of the pistol.

Hyuga

Banned
Snuggler said:
I noticed the problem within about one hour, so your ridiculous come back makes absolutely no sense. It's clear as day that people are having problems with the aiming, and we just want the game to be better. If that bothers you, then maybe you should stay out of the thread.
Dude, I said "I don't get it", because I have no problem with it.
Nothing else.
If that bothers you and if I have hurt your feelings, then maybe you should stay out of the thread.

Nizz

I swear this situation feels so similar to the Battlefield 3 aiming problems on PS3. In that game, they (people from DICE) had mentioned that they had changed nothing from beta controls.

There's no way possible these two games' aiming problems between betas and final could be due to any recent firmware update, right?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Spiffy_1st said:
I just put the sensitivity right up to the top and now it feels like Uncharted 2.
It gets better, but it doesn't.

EDIT:
Beam said:
Enemy grenade spam is both annoying and frustrating.
To be honest, there was a lot more grenade spam in UC2. The game felt significantly harder as well.

Waaghals

I think the reason for this is having relative small, mobile enemies with small hitboxes and an aiming system that operates with both bloom and recoil. This, combined with relatively little aim assist makes it hard to fire accurately.

If the game had used an input device with high precision, this wouldn't have been as much of an issue, as gamepads need a certain amount of auto aim to work well with 1st/3rd person shooters.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Waaghals said:
I think the reason for this is having relative small, mobile enemies with small hitboxes and an aiming system that operates with both bloom and recoil. This, combined with relatively little aim assist makes it hard to fire accurately.

If the game had used an input device with high precision, this wouldn't have been as much of an issue, as gamepads need a certain amount of auto aim to work well with 1st/3rd person shooters.

If that's the explanation why is UC3 different from UC2?

I don't think people are complaining that their bullets are inaccurate so much as the act of moving the reticule accurately feels different and more difficult than before.

It's not as simple as input device. We're talking about a difference between games using the same input device.

LJ11

purple cobra said:
I swear this situation feels so similar to the Battlefield 3 aiming problems on PS3. In that game, they (people from DICE) had mentioned that they had changed nothing from beta controls.

There's no way possible these two games' aiming problems between betas and final could be due to any recent firmware update, right?

Dude, I was just about to come in a post the same thing.

BF3 controls terribly, and if Uncharted is anything like BF3, ugh. Would also explain why some of the reviewers didn't notice this if they were running on older firmware.

Samus4145

Mama Robotnik said:

I had no issues with the controls. I played and adapted to how it felt. I wouldn't demand that it control the same as UC2, in fact I haven't played that in so long, it all seemed the same. It did not interfere with either of my 2 play throughs (Hard and Normal if you ask)

I did have concerns about the A.I. and camera at points as mentioned in the OT, but the game still deserved the 5/5 it was given, as these were minor issues, and still was a specular game.

I know I am in the minority on the controls, but then again I also liked the KZ2 controls.

test_account

XP-39C²
LJ11 said:
Dude, I was just about to come in a post the same thing.

BF3 controls terribly, and if Uncharted is anything like BF3, ugh. Would also explain why some of the reviewers didn't notice this if they were running on older firmware.
I'm pretty sure that the review copies require the same PS3 firmware version as the retail version.

Wasn't Drake able to switch between right and left perspectives in Uncharted 2? If so, why the hell did they take it away? Unless there's a command I'm not inputing.

backflip10019 said:
I had the same problem as the OP when I started the game last night. It felt impossible trying to take guys out using the silenced pistol in the beginning.

& i just started it tonight, & had no real problems. of course, i hardly ever play shooters, so maybe i'm just not sensitized enough to notice...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Gooster said:
Wasn't Drake able to switch between right and left perspectives in Uncharted 2? If so, why the hell did they take it away? Unless there's a command I'm not inputing.
If you mean switching shoulders with L3, you need to enable it in the options. No idea why it's disabled by default (or why you can disable it at all).

Anteater

Gooster said:

It's disabled by default, it could be enabled in the option

Edit: beaten by john dudebro

Gooster said:

You can, but I think it has to be enabled in the options. I've certainly been doing it.

Fake Edit: Just double checked, under Options -> Buttons -> Shoulder Swap, toggle Enable. I have no idea why it wouldn't default to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom