• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo should really consider localizing every 1st Party published title to all regions this would truly justify the business stance on locking regions to me so if people are upset over poor localization that is one thing I support.

I've already posted that people should start another Rainfall early and not wait for the title just let it be heard now that you want things localized

the drama without finding sensible solutions as a community is a waste of energy

netBuff

It's hardly bullshit though. In a perfect world people would only import games they couldn't get in their own regions. But people abuse region free gaming to buy cheap games from overseas. It undermines local industry and gives a false impression of sales in the imported-to and exported-from regions.

It's a common sense practice and a sound business practice.

Plus it cost very little to buy a freeloader if you're someone who wants those unique foreign imports :)

I take it Nintendo doesn't manufacture the Wii U in China, where it is the cheapest to make, but manufactures it locally to support the neighbouring industries.

Why should only big companies be able to take advantage globalization, but not consumers?

Oersted

And I pointed such industry problems out in the thread. But Nintendo doing it still makes Nintendo responsible. That's the point. And Nintendo, moreso than many other publishers, has a shameful history of localising exclusively for one region. And I'm not talking about obscure Japanese games that never get translated. Numerous first party titles are exclusive to the US and EU, usually smaller, niche games a specific region has designated as unprofitable.

Someone who is buying a Wii U, a video game system, is doing so predominantly to invest in future software from Nintendo. When Nintendo themselves have proven to be one of the most unreliable publishers in the world when it comes to global releases, then the concern and disappointment at region locking, obvious it may be, is entirely warranted, even if they're not the only culprit in the situation.

Pretty sure the devs themselves confirmed 30fps in the last thread.

And how many Nintendo fans bitched and moaned to no end before NOA buckled under the pressure to localise Xenoblade and The Last Story to the US, when it seemed EU was the only region getting the games? How many people, right here on GAF, who owned and played a Wii, finally bit the bullet and homebrew'd just so they could play them?

Just because it's not a problem to you and/or you don't care does not mean it is not a valid concern and problem for others.

If they want a Nintendo game that is only announced for japan, then yes they can get mad. Right now, there is only a reason to get sligthly concerned.
But in the thread they get mad about this as a "Nintendo beiing Nintendo"- thingie.

I get what you are trying to say but this thread is getting mad about this and not about I want a specific nintendo game.

Edit: the thread has become priceless.
nintendo already showed us their hitler side with the 3DS, so this was to be expected. very sad for gamers with broad taste.

Somnid

Nintendo should really consider localizing every 1st Party published title to all regions this would truly justify the business stance on locking regions to me so if people are upset over poor localization that is one thing I support.

I've already posted that people should start another Rainfall early and not wait for the title just let it be heard now that you want things localized

the drama without finding sensible solutions as a community is a waste of energy

More or less. I don't need region-less gaming I just need the games worth playing and so it's not a problem that region-lock exists, it's a problem when there are no alternatives because the game doesn't release. My hope and expectation is that with DD the distribution of "risk" titles is mitigated by the fact that it need not consume shelf-space.

I take it Nintendo doesn't manufacture the Wii U in China, where it is the cheapest to make, but manufactures it locally to support the neighbouring industries.

Why should only big companies be able to take advantage globalization, but not consumers?

consumers only hurt themselves in the long run... you guys are only thinking of yourselves here this is the issue. You don't really think of companies as a group of people who work and get paid by what they are selling to you.

importing does hurt your local industry not Nintendo in Japan but the publisher in your area that is paying to have the game in your language

I think most of you people would rather say massive layoffs just to save a buck but point at the big rich companies and play the victim

I don't support piracy and I am not cheap I pay for what I enjoy and ignore what I don't like
this is the choice we should all make if you are mad at Nintendo stop buying someday they will look at the spreadsheets and see that JOE is not buying from us anymore

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's hardly bullshit though. In a perfect world people would only import games they couldn't get in their own regions. But people abuse region free gaming to buy cheap games from overseas. It undermines local industry and gives a false impression of sales in the imported-to and exported-from regions.

Plus it cost very little to buy a freeloader if you're someone who wants those unique foreign imports :)

It is bullshit though because I'm the one paying for this system. I'm investing in this hardware. I'm paying for this software, that is supposed to validate my hardware purchase, and support the company that made both. Making sense in the world of business is irrelevant, because the world of business doesn't (and never has) give a shit about appeasing consumers and doing the right thing beyond maximising profit margins and controlling the market. It is, after all, an industry. It is business.

If they want a Nintendo game that is only announced for japan, then yes they can get mad. Right now, there is only a reason to get sligthly concerned.
But in the thread they get mad about this as a "Nintendo beiing Nintendo"- thingie.

And the point is Nintendo is heinously unreliable when it comes to localisation. Every generation that passes they fund and publish titles locked to regions, and it's impossible to predict what those games would be. This generation Disaster: Day of Crisis, Another Code: R, Excitebots, and Fatal Frame IV were all locked to regions (the latter never even translated, the only Fatal Frame game ever to be exclusive to Japan, ironically after Nintendo became interested in the franchise).

If Nintendo were known for consistent localisation of their own games, great! This would be less of an issue. But they're not. Buying a Wii U, I'm literally risking the chance that Nintendo will fund and publish games I will never be able to play. That is not an appealing situation, specifically because I am someone who is a big fan.

And how many Nintendo fans bitched and moaned to no end before NOA buckled under the pressure to localise Xenoblade and The Last Story to the US, when it seemed EU was the only region getting the games? How many people, right here on GAF, who owned and played a Wii, finally bit the bullet and homebrew'd just so they could play them?

Just because it's not a problem to you and/or you don't care does not mean it is not a valid concern and problem for others.
It is a problem to me I'd rather have it region free too. It doesnt mean I wasnt expecting it to be locked though. Im not finna get a tantrum cause of it. Probably half of the people in the thread have no intentions of buying the thing regardless if it was.

netBuff

consumers only hurt themselves in the long run... you guys are only thinking of yourselves here this is the issue. You don't really think of companies as a group of people who work and get paid by what they are selling to you.

importing does hurt your local industry no Nintendo in Japan but the publisher in your area that is paying to have the game in your language

I think most of you people would rather say massive layoffs just to save a buck but point at the big rich companies and play the victim

I don't support piracy and I am not cheap I pay for what I enjoy and ignore what I don't like
this is the choice we should all make if you are mad at Nintendo stop buying someday they will look at the spreadsheets and see that JOE is not buying from us anymore

This is ridiculous - if I'm importing a game, I don't care whether it is localized in my language or not. And considering big companies are best at exploiting globalization (Nintendo included, or did I miss my local Wii U factory?) I don't see why big businesses should be given a free pass to get away with artificially restricting markets against our interests.

But in the end, it's not that big of a deal to me. I'm getting a Wii U anyways. Just conceptually, I don't feel like the argument of "hurting the local games business" does have much merit in the face of companies doing the same on a much grander scale.

Banned
I'm going to need to stay in Nintendo-centric threads for a few days until I cool down.

I'm likely to explode at anyone trying to defend the fucking terrible business practices of MS.
I ditched MS last February for a vita. I ditched my vita for a preorder towards the Wii U. I'm done with MS consoles. I'll stick to their software only thanks. Just got a confirmation email confirming my cancellation of Gold Membership.

Oersted

And the point is Nintendo is heinously unreliable when it comes to localisation. Every generation that passes they fund and publish titles locked to regions, and it's impossible to predict what those games would be. This generation Disaster: Day of Crisis, Another Code: R, Excitebots, and Fatal Frame IV were all locked to regions (the latter never even translated, the only Fatal Frame game ever to be exclusive to Japan, ironically after Nintendo became interested in the franchise).

If Nintendo were known for consistent localisation of their own games, great! This would be less of an issue. But they're not. Buying a Wii U, I'm literally risking the chance that Nintendo will fund and publish games I will never be able to play. That is not an appealing situation, specifically because I am someone who is a big fan.

Like I already said, they are getting mad about Nintendo beiing Nintendo. Its like they only witnessed this gen. And with this mindset the thread went nuts.

This is ridiculous - if I'm importing a game, I don't care whether it is localized in my language or not. And considering big companies are best at exploiting globalization (Nintendo included, or did I miss my local Wii U factory?) I don't see why big businesses should be allowed to get away with artificially restricting markets against our interests.

But in the end, it's not that big of a deal to me. I'm getting a Wii U anyways. Just philosophically, I don't feel like the argument of "hurting the local games business" does have much merit in the face of companies doing the same on a much grander scale.

It's not you, I also look out for myself when spending my money

Nintendo = Selfish

Me = Selfish

I am just saying there is a whole group of people just like you and me in this industry that is connected to this so called "bullshit" move

my point is as ridiculous as someone telling a company not to think of its profit margins first before thinking of me. Nintendo is not an NGO and even those are mega businesses these days

Bleep

They should charge reasonable prices for games in different regions if they don't want this to happen. Refusing to pay extortionist fees for living in a country other than USA is not morally wrong like you are making it out to be. As a consumer I will continue to think of myself, if businesses want my money they need to stay competitive and attract me into buying their product.

But people abuse region free gaming to buy cheap games from overseas.

:lol I love that it's "abuse" if somebody buys a product somewhere else for cheaper but it's a-okay for a multinational corporation to manufacture their product somewhere else for cheaper.

Pro-tip: Globalisation works both ways.

:lol I love that it's "abuse" if somebody buys a product somewhere else for cheaper but it's a-okay for a multinational corporation to manufacture their product somewhere else for cheaper.

So if the Wii U was not made in China you would change your "buy it for cheaper" ideals?

I don't understand why we cannot look at all sides of an issue and look at a mirror a few times and see the source of the problem.

We demand more from others than we do of ourselves.

We demand cheap products, so they go to find cheap labour, cheaper parts, we complain they are cheating us! Yet we forget that we are not going to buy at a high price. It's business not a charity. You get what you pay for, yaada yaada. It all comes down to the same point Nintendo is doing nothing wrong but doing business as usual.

Call in the hackers to hack the box until we have what Nintendo is locking us out of and the cycle continues. Works both ways indeed.

D-e-f-

Banned
JJConrad, I don't suppose Pikmin 3 head the GamePad control option available to try?

They're not showing that. They had that at E3 and it wasn't locked down, they stopped demoing that version halfway through.
->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qYYV-dOk3s

Umm, US guys will be able to video chat with Hawaii and other US citizens that take their Wii Us overseas. Me in NZ can video chat with Aussie, Europe and the UK :)

Source? To my knowledge, this hasn't been talked about anywhere by Nintendo.
Has Nintendo ever commented on the amount of friends you could possibly have on one account?

no

PS: Fuck region locking.

Umm, US guys will be able to video chat with Hawaii and other US citizens that take their Wii Us overseas. Me in NZ can video chat with Aussie, Europe and the UK :)

sorry did not see your reply but since SwapNote had no region fence I was hoping this was the same with Video Chat and Miiverse - even with the 3DS Region Locked I still got my Japan Exclusive note designs from buddies on GAF

presuming such a thing will ever exist. as a consumer, there's no reason for me not to buy overseas games if they're cheaper. i do this for lots of things. my James Bond Blu-Ray box set is coming from overseas because its cheaper. i do not feel bad about 'local' businesses when we're talking international conglomerates.

Elite Beat Agents exists on DS because people like me imported Ouendan and hyped the shit out of it to other westeners.

I'm not remotely surprised the Wii U is region locked. You'd have been mad to presume otherwise. You can't be surprised at consumers being upset about the status quo though. Region locking is anti consumer no matter how you look at it, and unless you're a corporation, you really shouldn't defend it as a 'sound business practice'.

The_Lump

Banned
It is bullshit though because I'm the one paying for this system. I'm investing in this hardware. I'm paying for this software, that is supposed to validate my hardware purchase, and support the company that made both. Making sense in the world of business is irrelevant, because the world of business doesn't (and never has) give a shit about appeasing consumers and doing the right thing beyond maximising profit margins and controlling the market. It is, after all, an industry. It is business.

They should charge reasonable prices for games in different regions if they don't want this to happen. Refusing to pay extortionist fees for living in a country other than USA is not morally wrong like you are making it out to be. As a consumer I will continue to think of myself, if businesses want my money they need to stay competitive and attract me into buying their product.

As much as it might suck, it's necessary to safeguard local business/industry. I'm not saying it's morally wrong to import games, I'm saying people need to understand its a perfectly acceptable business solution (edit: to safeguard against it)

Not agreeing with how a publicly traded company should operate doesn't make their decisions bullshit. It's just a hard truth.

Yes Nintendo take advantage of it too, if they didn't, we'd all be paying twice as much to buy the product in the first place :)

For the record I personally support region free gaming. I live in the UK and regularly get screwed by dodgy US>EUR>GBP fx rates. But I don't pretend I'm entitled to it because I knowingly bought a product which doesn't support it.

I now question why I do not feel no rage over this region lock thing, (so meh a none issue) but I see at least one bright spot if people are mad enough maybe he hackers will take up the challenge to break WiiU when they have not dented 3DS

I would not mind a nice little homebrew on this gamepad

As much as it might suck, it's necessary to safeguard local business/industry. I'm not saying it's morally wrong to import games, I'm saying people need to understand its a perfectly acceptable business solution.

Not agreeing with how a publicly traded company should operate doesn't make their decisions bullshit. It's just a hard truth.
this is utter nonsense. 'necessary' is way too strong a word to use here. there is no way that it is necessary. Microsoft do not require that games be region locked on their systems. Sony do not have region locks on their system. are they just stupid? why should i accept a 'hard truth' when we are talking about an anti consumer business practice that isn't followed by all the major players?

Yes Nintendo take advantage of it too, if they didn't, we'd all be paying twice as much to buy the product in the first place :)

For the record I personally support region free gaming. I live in the UK and regularly get screwed by dodgy US>EUR>GBP fx rates. But I don't pretend I'm entitled to it because I knowingly bought a product which doesn't support it.
it's nothing about entitlements. it's an anti consumer business practice which will continue if consumers do nothing about it.

As much as it might suck, it's necessary to safeguard local business/industry. I'm not saying it's morally wrong to import games, I'm saying people need to understand its a perfectly acceptable business solution (edit: to safeguard against it)

For the record I personally support region free gaming.
I live in the UK and regularly get screwed by dodgy US>EUR>GBP fx rates. But I don't pretend I'm entitled to it because I knowingly bought a product which doesn't support it.
Isn't this balanced by the income per person?

Australia has higher prices but people earn more money if you compare it to other countries.

I know if I go to Switzerland I have to pay 2,00 € for an ice, here in Munich I pay 1 €, and that's the most expensive town in Germany.

The_Lump

Banned
this is utter nonsense. 'necessary' is way too strong a word to use here. there is no way that it is necessary. Microsoft do not require that games be region locked on their systems. Sony do not have region locks on their system. are they just stupid?

it's nothing about entitlements. it's an anti consumer business practice which will continue if consumers do nothing about it.

Dunno. Maybe because MS & Sony aren't relying solely on the gaming industry succeeding? They're not going to be screwed if their product fails in 2 of 3 regions.

I see your point, I really do. I just wouldn't say it's 'bullshit' tis all, which was my original point. It's understandable (to me) even if it might suck.

The_Lump

Banned

Australia has higher prices but people earn more money if you compare it to other countries.

I know if I go to Switzerland I have to pay 2,00 € for an ice, here in Munich I pay 1 €, and that's the most expensive town in Germany.

If only it were.

To give you an idea, a Wii U basic pack would cost £188 if all were right with the world ($299). It costs £259.

Now unless UK residents earn 37% more than US residents - this ain't cool.

Hakai

I don't like the region lock also. But I can understand why it exists, and I don't think is entirely anti-consumer. The issue is that their localization is not good enough which makes the situation worse.

But yeah free region console would be the way better.

this is utter nonsense. 'necessary' is way too strong a word to use here. there is no way that it is necessary. Microsoft do not require that games be region locked on their systems. Sony do not have region locks on their system. are they just stupid? why should i accept a 'hard truth' when we are talking about an anti consumer business practice that isn't followed by all the major players?

When people raise MS/SONY not doing this all I can think about is Nintendo begging 3rd Parties to publish titles on their hardware unlike the Twin Titans who seem to have the core on lock Nintendo has to offer publishers more while SONY/MS can be more laxed and give the core whatever they want even if it means they have to shutdown a few developers per cycle to do so and lose billions.

Nintendo is not a company you can point at and say they should be doing as SONY or Microsoft. They are a one trick pony with an old paper playing card business as its roots. Not the same thing. Sorry they just get a pass from me when they have to do dumb shit like less powerful hardware and pissing fans off for region locking.

The_Lump

Banned
When people raise MS/SONY not doing this all I can think about is Nintendo begging 3rd Parties to publish titles on their hardware unlike the Twin Titans who seem to have the core on lock Nintendo has to offer publishers more while SONY/MS can be more laxed and give the core whatever they want even if it means they have to shutdown a few developers per cycle to do so and lose billions.

Nintendo is not a company you can point at and say they should be doing as SONY or Microsoft. They are a one trick pony with an old paper playing card business as its roots. Not the same thing. Sorry they just get a pass from me when they have to do dumb shit like less powerful hardware and pissing fans off for region locking.

Agreed. Shitty, but needs must.

Makes you feel warm and cosy, huh ;)

^That's the benefit of being shat on :D

netBuff

If only it were.

To give you an idea, a Wii U basic pack would cost £188 if all were right with the world ($299). It costs £259.

Now unless UK residents earn 37% more than US residents - this ain't cool.

Don't forget that advertised prices in the US don't include local taxes (as they vary wildly from town to town), while European prices always include sales taxes.

Other metrics like the typical income and income equality are more relevant to product prices in relation to the typical income than GDP.

Agreed. Shitty, but needs must.

Makes you feel warm and cosy, huh ;)

^That's the benefit of being shat on :D

I don't mind that this doesn't bother people. I just don't see how you can argue that it's 'necessary'. Keep insisting that Nintendo would have to shutdown developers or potentially lose billions all you want, I've seen no evidence for it. The DS was region free and made Nintendo billions... so... necessary? I'm still not seeing it.

The_Lump

Banned
Don't forget that advertised prices in the US don't include local taxes (as they vary wildly from town to town), while European prices always include sales taxes.

Other metrics like income equality are more relevant to product prices in relation to the typical income than GDP.

Fair point. So we're only receiving ~10% extra faecal matter. Still smells though. :p

Fyi I was taking the best available price from Amazon.co.uk. Many places are trying £279+ for the basic model!

Ashodin

hey guys what's up

Proud Future Owner of a Wii U here. Just need to somehow pre-order it or midnight launch it (like I did the Wii a long time ago)!

netBuff

I thought Nintendo was not allowed to set hardware prices in EU or something?

They obviously set the prices of their own hardware, but considering they were fined for price-fixing by the EU a few years ago Nintendo doesn't recommend a retail sales prices to alleviate any suspicions of price-fixing.

Mithos

I think that even with shipping fees, tax, and customs fees, I'd be able to buy a Wii U Deluxe for the same price (from USA) it would cost me to get a Wii U Basic in a local store.

Now getting a Wii U Basic from USA, would save me A LOT even with shipping fees, tax, and customs fees.

Its the Bullshit markup that annoys me.... (aka retail profits)...

I don't mind that this doesn't bother people. I just don't see how you can argue that it's 'necessary'. Keep insisting that Nintendo would have to shutdown developers or potentially lose billions all you want, I've seen no evidence for it. The DS was region free and made Nintendo billions... so... necessary? I'm still not seeing it.

Don't read me wrong... I was only stating from this gen that Sony / MS both have purchased and later shutdown devs and blew billions to give core gamers the high end experiences.

No Nintendo could be Region Free and none of shutting down stuff would happen the only money loss is local 3rd Party publishers and truth be told I cannot believe there is so many importers that would cost so much. I don't see region lock as necessary but Nintendo offering Publishers what they ask for Necessary (region locks in this case) more so than SONY/MS who do not seem to hurt as much if they are lossing profit as much because gaming is tie in to other parts of a major company that has many things to sell outside of gaming.

If Region Free is not a selling point to publishers there is no reason to have it. Nintendo could very well be doing this because they hate us fans :)

netBuff

I think that even with shipping fees, tax, and customs fees, I'd be able to buy a Wii U Deluxe for the same price (from USA) it would cost me to get a Wii U Basic in a local store.

Now getting a Wii U Basic from USA, would save me A LOT even with shipping fees, tax, and customs fees.

Depending on where you live, we Europeans also get much more in terms of consumer protections - the following regulations are part of an EU directive and therefore very similar across all EU-countries:

For example we get two years of warranty by law for faults that were present at the time of purchase (even if they only show later - there is a reversal of the burden of proof from seller to customer after six months) - in the US, you typically only get 90 days of warranty.

And of course there are distance sales regulations that allow the customer to return products bought online for up to 7-14 days after arrival without any costs.

Britprog

Quick question, I have a Wii component cable and I understand that these will work on Wii U.

Will these component cables display upto 1080p?

Don't read me wrong... I was only stating from this gen that Sony / MS both have purchased and later shutdown devs and blew billions to give core gamers the high end experiences.

No Nintendo could be Region Free and none of shutting down stuff would happen the only money loss is local 3rd Party publishers and truth be told I cannot believe there is so many importers that would cost so much. I don't see region lock as necessary but Nintendo offering Publishers what they ask for Necessary (region locks in this case) more so than SONY/MS who do not seem to hurt as much if they are lossing profit as much because gaming is tie in to other parts of a major company that has many things to sell outside of gaming.

If Region Free is not a selling point to publishers there is no reason to have it. Nintendo could very well be doing this because they hate us fans :)
I see no reason for them not to take the Xbox middleground of leaving it up to the publishers if indeed it is just pressure from publishers.

Quick question, I have a Wii component cable and I understand that these will work on Wii U.

if your TV accepts 1080p via component cables, then it should yes.

Scum

WiiU comes with an HDMI cable in the box. So, if your TV has a HDMI slot then you're good to go. Not quite sure about displaying upto 1080p with component cables though...

They obviously set the prices of their own hardware, but considering they were fined for price-fixing by the EU a few years ago Nintendo doesn't recommend a retail sales prices to alleviate any suspicions of price-fixing.

so if they are not suggesting why do the prices not equal US prices per exchange rates?

You'd think EU would have a cheaper sales price since Nintendo got a spanking for being naughty
Unless this has more to do with your taxes than it does Nintendo.

They do not really make money off hardware, the money is the Software licensing fees, I'm sure they do not want to sell at a loss but hardware is not where Nintendo prints money

I see no reason for them not to take the Xbox middleground of leaving it up to the publishers if indeed it is just pressure from publishers.

if your TV accepts 1080p via component cables, then it should yes.

I also see no reason why Nintendo could not have gone HD with the Wii in 2006 but this is Nintendo we all know and love they are space aliens!

D-e-f-

Banned

No. Not if you import that from Germany at least where you have to add 19% import tax + quite a lot for shipping. Not sure how the

$350 = €271
plus 19% import tax that's an additional €50
which brings you to €320
then you have to add shipping for a console which weighs a lot and is quite a big package which brings to at least to the $30 area (probably more) resulting in another €23
which brings you up to at least €343
add to that at least a week of time to ship it to your country and price fluctuations for the shipping fees and conversion rate, you may likely pay even MORE!

ice cream is 2€ in Switzerland? damn!

just use the HDMI cable that's in the box. it's better.

netBuff

Yes my tv has three, two are already taken so I would prefer using the component inputs.

Got a pretty new TV so I guess it will.

Component inputs are analog, you will inevitably experience degraded picture quality using Component compared to an all-digital connector like HDMI. Using analog is a bad idea. If your TV has a DVI-connector (it likely has), you are better off buying an HDMI-DVI cable (like this cheap AmazonBasics one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TH7T2U/?tag=neogaf0e-20) which will allow for the same picture quality as an HDMI link.

Britprog

Component inputs are analog, you will inevitably experience degraded picture quality using Component compared to an all-digital connector like HDMI. Using analog is a bad idea. If your TV has a DVI-connector (which it likely has), you are better off buying an HDMI-DVI cable (like this cheap AmazonBasics one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TH7T2U/?tag=neogaf0e-20)

No dvi, three hdmi's and 1 Component, So looks like I'll be using all three of my hdmi's then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom