• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
oh. Just saw someone make a
ice bridge
to get korok seed, and realised you can use the
ice
anyware. I really need to start thinking outside the box, I was trying to get to a shrine out in the
middle of the sea and didnt have enough stamina food, then I thought about climbing the huge cliff above it and gliding down to it (which I was going to but its fr so I got sidetracked), but you can totally just ice your way over there cnat you, if you just create block after block and break the previous ones.
Goddamn it.
Or ya know, find a raft...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Or ya know, find a raft...

I thought of that but didnt see any
along the beach. In fact, I still havent properly used one, how do they work, do you need one of those leafs to make wind?

Link83

There's no correct order in this game. Go where you want!
There is no such thing. The closest to the first settlements is probably the
Zora dungeon.
Gives you an ability that easily saves your life, so it's pretty useful early on.

On the other hand, there is a dungeon that allows you more offensive capabilities and one that improves your abilities to traverse terrain tremendously. But you can take them on in any order, including ignoring them. You'll have to make your own agenda in this game. If you wait to get the content placed in your path, you might end up disappointed.

A good thing is to look around and decide on a landmark in the distance that you want to investigate. Towers and shrines being the obvious candidates.
The game kinda directs you towards the Zora dungeon first but I found the Goron one to be the easiest of them all. So if you're really lost, you can always look for Death Mountain in the distance as a good first goal. Just make sure to talk to people on your way there.

Thanks for the replies everyone, its very much appreciated :)
I will carry on exploring and try to aim towards the
Zora Dungeon

A clean house

Neo Member
Hi everyone.

Question..

Can anyone give a vague hint at where to locate Barta from "The Search for Barta" sidequest in Gerudo Town. I've been south of the town and found and killed the Moldova but she's nowhere to be found around that area.. Keep it vague please I really want to do as much on my own as I can! Thanks in advance :)

Oregano

Hi everyone.

Question..

Can anyone give a vague hint at where to locate Barta from "The Search for Barta" sidequest in Gerudo Town. I've been south of the town and found and killed the Moldova but she's nowhere to be found around that area.. Keep it vague please I really want to do as much on my own as I can! Thanks in advance :)

I'm fairly sure she's at a shrine south east of there.

I thought of that but didnt see any
along the beach. In fact, I still havent properly used one, how do they work, do you need one of those leafs to make wind?

Generally speaking you need a leaf to get them to move, but there's videos out there showing that you can use a magnetized weapon to push into the mast and make it go

A clean house

Neo Member
I'm fairly sure she's at a shrine south east of there.

Hmmm a shrine you say? Wierd.. I haven't seen any and got nothing on my sensor around that area. Could swear I've been around the south area enough to have triggerd it.. well back to exploring I suppose. Many thanks but that was not vague at all haha!

Edit: excuse my English :(

Anksta

After putting over 105 hours into this game I finally defeated Ganon, it is a little early to say but this might just be my favorite game in the series. I was genuinely sad when the credits rolled because I didn't want it to end.

Without spoiling the story, do you get to keep playing afterwards or do you have to load a save to keep playing? I want to do more in the world but also interested in completing the story. Just want to make sure I can still do quests after defeating the big bad.

Addi

This is the first open world game I have ever played and I am finding it a little overwhelming just how big it is! Since i'm used to the more linear style Zelda games I am currently feeling a little lost, so can anyone tell me where I should be going next?

I unlocked the camera, and took a picture of the Great Fairy near Kakariko Village for Pikango, then went to Lanayru Roads East Gate to unlock the first memory, and then went to see Impa and have been given the Champion's Tunic.

I thought the next place I should be going was back to Lanayru Roads East Gate, but that ended up with Link being killed by a powerful minotaur(?) so i'm guessing thats meant to be for later. There just doesnt seem to be an obvious place I should be aiming towards?

If I should just just be wandering everywhere then thats fine, its just I usually prefer to complete the dungeons/main quest in the correct order.

Well, you can do what you want but at that point in the main quest
it's time to head for a dungeon. Impa did give you the general direction for the four beasts. Go into the quest log and and click on the quest for the divine beasts. It'll give you 4 dots on the map. You can do any you want, my only recommendation is to save the one in south west for last, I thought it was the hardest.

Hi everyone.

Question..

She is the desert somewhere. You obviously haven't found the spot because you'd know right away where it was when you listen to the guard's hints. EDIT: another hint: zoom in on the map. you can see an interesting place on it.

JonCha

Just arrived at Gerudo Town. Only done a tiny bit of exploration but already impressed with it. It feels real and interesting, unlike the Zora village which I found quite drab and the Rito village which was super small.

Man, the dungeon bosses are a complete joke when using a
x3 bow and some bomb arrows.
I hope hard mode will deliver a better challenge on that front.

Just arrived at Gerudo Town. Only done a tiny bit of exploration but already impressed with it. It feels real and interesting, unlike the Zora village which I found quite drab and the Rito village which was super small.

But the Rito village does have the second best music track in the game!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
lol just did the shrine
that is surrounded by flowers. the lady gets mad at you if you touch them. if you touch them too many times she beats you up.

also at the merchant i don't know what to sell. it seems a lot of things have a use. i sold x2 rubies and the first set of clothes you get. too hesitant to sell anything else. to be fair not much was on sale and i ended up with about 400 rupees. only bought arrows.

lol just did the shrine
that is surrounded by flowers. the lady gets mad at you if you touch them. if you touch them too many times she beats you up.

also at the merchant i don't know what to sell. it seems a lot of things have a use. i sold x2 rubies and the first set of clothes you get. too hesitant to sell anything else. to be fair not much was on sale and i ended up with about 400 rupees. only bought arrows.

That bitch is straight up loco.

Addi

Speaking of villages, for the ones who have been everywhere, should we do a village ranking? Here's my list (I spoiler tag them and put them on the same line not to spoil how many there are):

Ranking:
Kakariko Village> Hateno Village> Rito Village> Gerudo Town> Tarrey Town > Zora's Domain >> Goron City>>>>> Lurelin Village

Reasons:
I feel Kakariko has the most depth with all the side quests and interconnections, it really felt alive. Hateno has nice music and a lot of cool stuff too. Rito is so high on my list mostly because of the atmosphere and music, the return of Kass is also great. Gerudo is nice too, loved the dating class, lol. Tarrey Town was one of the coolest quest and has awesome music, it's a bit dead afterwards unfortunately. Zora is gorgeous, but not enough to do there. The Goron one disappointed me a bit, it's ok, but I never want to stay there for long. Lurelin is boring. It was cool to find, but there's almost nothing there.

Also, I'm not sure, but does
Korok Forest
count as a village?

Zips

Finished the game at 92 shrines, 25 hearts, 2 stamina wheels, something like 197 korok seeds, all beasts recovered, and all memories recovered.

Ending was meh, unfortunately, so an area for improvement in the next one. Maybe the dlc will fill in some gaps and develop the characters more.

Hyrule castle is still one of my favourite spots in the game, and I really love how much they made it seem like an actual castle with (just in case)
scale and structures like the moat, guard houses, multiple walls, and different sections like the underground dock, lockup, dining hall, and library
. Also really cool how they built in all these different ways to approach it.

I'm curious how many different approaches there are to the castle - aside from I guess just jumping and gliding in from high up. The different entry points I've found are:

Direct through the main gate
Western passage using a mine cart into near the lockup
Bombable wall from an outside ledge that leads into a lockup cell
A collapsed wall that also leads into the lockup area
Through the underground dock, into the library if I recall
Eastern passage using a tunnel/mine cart and up a shaft into the library

There might be a way or two I'm forgetting too, and maybe more that I don't even know about.

WIth all the different ways you can approach the castle, and the striking scenery there, I think it's highly advisable to poke around early on in the game. Lets you make more use of the different entrypoints, adds some tension, and gives a clearer goal to keep in mind as you go through the rest of the game. Glad I visited at the beginning.

Also finally finished that royal recipe quest, that I got at the start of the game. This game was the chronicle of Link risking life and limb, defeating demons and monsters, battling the ultimate evil, and saving the world for the reward of
100 rupees

My village ranking, no big spoilers really, just the names of said villages:

1) Tarrey Town: hilarious quest (and what a great ending) and best music in the game.
This video goes into great detail as to why it's so good.

2) Hateno Village: I love the townspeople, the little kids running around are a riot. Plus, this is where Link lives!

3) Rito Village: superb music.

4) Gerudo Town: I love the gender dynamics and how the game really goes out of its way to flesh out the Gerudo society. Only problem: the Gerudo theme is usually some of the best music in every Zelda game and here it's really not that memorable.

5) Kakariko Village: looks beautiful and I appreciate the Japanese vibes but there's not that much to it. I like the shy girl though, she's funny.

6) Goron City: very charming inhabitants.

7) Lurelin Village: I didn't even find it until my second playthrough! A very pleasant little hamlet though.

8) Zora's Domain: kinda generic but still okay.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Thunderblight Ganon
what the fuuuuuuck

First fight in the game that's given me any kind of trouble. I even killed the Lynel in the Zora Domain after a few attempts. I just can't get this guy down. I've gotten to the second phase like twice

How do I get around his shield without just wailing on it and massively damaging my weapon in the process?

Zips

1) Tarrey Town: hilarious quest (and what a great ending) and best music in the game.

2) Hateno Village: I love the townspeople, the little kids running around are a riot. Plus, this is where Link lives!

3) Rito Village: superb music.

4) Gerudo Town: I love the gender dynamics and how the game really goes out of its way to flesh out the Gerudo society. Only problem: the Gerudo theme is usually some of the best music in every Zelda game and here it's really not that memorable.

5) Kakariko Village: looks beautiful and I appreciate the Japanese vibes but there's not that much to it. I like the shy girl though, she's funny.

6) Goron City: very charming inhabitants.

7) Lurelin Village: I didn't even find it until my second playthrough! A very pleasant little hamlet though.

8) Zora's Domain: kinda generic but still okay.

What about
the Korok 'town'
? If you count it.

Malus

Thunderblight Ganon
what the fuuuuuuck

First fight in the game that's given me any kind of trouble. I even killed the Lynel in the Zora Domain after a few attempts. I just can't get this guy down. I've gotten to the second phase like twice

How do I get around his shield without just wailing on it and massively damaging my weapon in the process?

Def my favorite boss. First few seconds and already it's like what.

Addi

Damn! I didn't only found a leviathan's head. Also a shrine and a fairy's Fountain! And Barta haha

Thanks for the tip addi :)

No problem :) I actually did it in the complete opposite way, went exploring first, found the place and then got the quest for it :p

Damn, I'm stumped finding a shrine near the Northeastern most shrine on Hedra. It looks like it's inside the mountain?

Yeah, I used the winds to fly up and down that cliff trying to find a bombable wall for 2 hours. Had to check online for the solution. Here's the general direction you have to go, it'll save you some time:
it is deep inside the mountain, but the entrance is on the south east side of the mountain, not north side.

Yeah, the music evolution in
Tarrey town
is great. Noticed it right away.
The Goron horn is hilarious

What about
the Korok 'town'
? If you count it.

I guess I'd rank it second to last, above
Zora's Domain
. Beautiful place but I have a beef with these damn
Koroks and their terrible trials
! Finding it was one of my favorite moments in the game though. I just looked at the map really early on and decided to explore that area for obvious reasons and the payoff was great.

A clean house

Neo Member
Thunderblight Ganon
what the fuuuuuuck

Think magnetic yo

EDIT: I had to look it up :(

Addi

Thunderblight Ganon
what the fuuuuuuck

I haven't done it myself, but I've heard
using your shield parry helps

Dr.Hadji

I thought so too. Way too dreary when you first get there. But after the
the eternal rain stops and the sun comes out, it's quite lovely.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Thanks for posting that video, have some newfound appreciation for the music now. What they did in
Tarrey Town
is especially cool.
I knew the track got more layered, but not that it matched up with the new inhabitant.

JonCha

I thought so too. Way too dreary when you first get there. But after the
the eternal rain stops and the sun comes out, it's quite lovely.

Yeah true. I've never found the Zora areas in other Zelda game that interesting, and I didn't enjoy the Divine Beast quest line mostly for that area because it felt unnecessarily long.

Malus

Gerudo Town is best purely because of
watermelon girl.

Also the voe class.

Also the secret shop.

And the quest to get in

Patricia

Thunder helm

Those fucking Gorons how did they get in

Fuck I love Gerudo Town.

The rest are pretty close.

Tarrey is 2nd because it's a
town building quest
and I love those. Rito was near the bottom but
Kass
brought it up a notch. I like Zora's domain quite a bit actually. The design is great and the leadup is great and there are some cool sidequests. Eldin region has the coolest overall design with the
Goron mount rushmore and Vah Rudania crawling around the side of the mountain.

Korok Forest
is the worst because of dat framerate and the suckish trial (you know the one).

Lurelin
is fairly weak but it's pretty and has nice music.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
goddamn these combat shrines :eek:

worth it tho, got a bunch of gurdian weapons (good ebcause I had to use up all my stock on them lol) and this second one gave me
climbing gear
also

Rhaknar

err I think going to
Eventide Island
this early was a mistake >_>

Alpha_eX

So a certain sword ran out of power and has vanished from my inventory, I've waited but it's not come back and it's not where I found it.

What can I do here?

EDIT: Of course, the moment I post this my question answers itself.

Love this thread btw :)

Malus

err I think going to
Eventide Island
this early was a mistake >_>

It's probably more fun that way lol.

Edit random unrelated note: The Special Delivery sidequest was probably one of the most unexpectedly intense in the game. Easily missable too, for those nearing the end and haven't seen it yet, go to the
bank of wishes near Zora's Domain.
Quite charming, though probably terribly frustrating if you fail it. Quest spoiler
I let the message get stuck in some wood and barrels near the end. Trying to dislodge it was like trying to diffuse a bomb. With bombs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I didn't make the recipe right at the start of the game because I didn't think I could catch fish. So am I screwed for the
warm doublet
? I went back to where I think it originally was (curving stairs down near the first tower) but I can't see the shelter there anymore.

Twookie

I didn't make the recipe right at the start of the game because I didn't think I could catch fish. So am I screwed for the
warm doublet
? I went back to where I think it originally was (curving stairs down near the first tower) but I can't see the shelter there anymore.

No you're not, you can buy it in
Hateno Village

Rhaknar

dat feel when you have all the mats needed to upgrade all your gear when you go there

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Got the full Barbarian set. Can't say no to attack power.

C7xTUtiVYAAZppA.jpg

Adaren

omg @ the quest "A Brothers Roast"
"You're gonna eat it and LOVE IT"
"That texture! That crunch! Ooooh, and that gritty feeling as it glides down my throat! OH! Yes!"

Nintendo did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom