• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has VR stalled ?

Why is the Vive the one always referenced? The Rift is just as capable now AND has better controllers.

Also I've never experience racing games with a wheel as immersive as with the Rift. It's fantastic. The only downside right now for me is the resolution that you adapt to after a few minutes.

Debatable.

Having finger tracking doesn't really make up for being a non pack in and worse tracking, especially since the next Vive controllers will be superior due to holding themselves to your hands without needing to hold on to them.

I knew people could buy the gear but I read about a new advancement recently that put me under the impression that like the basics were still being tinkered with and there was pretty much like really short demo discs games or movies where you can turn your head.

The only "big" game I've heard of on VR is RE7 so I just figured it was still in it's infancy and not really there yet.

Timeaisis

VR development is a snake eating it's own tail. Those interested in developing for it promote it, and then they seek out other VR to get excited about and play, which in tern fuels other developers to get interested in VR. Repeat forever.

That's my observation from going to a lot of VR events. There's not a whole lot of consumer support.

Personally I think VR is doing great. Can it do better? YES. Are games that are more than experiences finally coming out? YES. Do I want more, NOW? YES.

I hate the shade that people throw at VR "wah its like 3dtv." Drives me insane.

VALVE's VR games need to drop ASAP, as does fallout 4 VR

and facebook needs to fuck right the fuck off with their splintering a tiny community via exclusives

The install base isn't there to invest AAA dollars in it yet. RE7 is a AAA title but it's also fully playable in 2D as well. Don't forget that Star Trek and Farpoint are coming soon, both look promising. Otherwise, I expect mostly indie VR development right now and I don't see that as a bad thing. While I'd love full-fledged experiences, I'm also perfectly fun with cheaper, shorter experiences that are fun and engaging. Remember the free Robot rescue game in the playroom? FUN as hell. Give me a fully fleshed out platformer like that for under $20 and I'd be perfected happy. Not everything needs to be on the scale of RE7.

That all said, PSVR's presence this year at E3 should tell us a good bit about the general direction it's heading. But let's not kid ourselves, we're nowhere close to this being a mainstream technology yet. I love my PSVR, but I hate the wires dangling next to me. The resolution and graphics, although not breaking immersion in most of the stuff I've played, all need improvement and we won't be seeing that in the current hardware cycle. I'm sure the more graphically intensive experiences are even pushing the Pro Ps4, let alone the base Ps4 which is struggling with some of this stuff( low resolution, blurry visuals and text, etc).

Onemic

As a vive owner, I certainly wouldn't say it is. At the same time though I'm at the point where I'm pretty much waiting for the second gen of the headsets to hit before I start making it take a chunk of my gaming time from me. At this point in the first gen vr life cycle, if you haven't owned a vr headset by now, you should just wait for the next gen headsets to arrive.

Branson

Arguable, the controllers are only as good as their tracking.

Also most people are pretty soured by the Oculus brand now.

Debatable.

Having finger tracking doesn't really make up for being a non pack in and worse tracking, especially since the next Vive controllers will be superior due to holding themselves to your hands without needing to hold on to them.

Well that's good to know I made a $500 mistake the last week. Fuck.

I would say that VR gaming hasn't "stalled" so much as it's still revving up.

Larger games can take huge periods of time to develop, and most devs likely weren't too keen on starting development until they saw how it launches. On top of that, there's still a lot of working out on "best practices" with VR, in particular world interaction and locomotion.
VR isn't just an "upgrade" to regular gaming. It takes many established conventions and throws them out the window.

There are lots of smaller "experiences" that AAA devs put out just to put something out, and then you have awesome "proofs of concept" that introduce new ideas to VR, such as Art of Fight's locomotion, etc. RE7 and Fallout 4 are two AAA titles that have VR (Well, FO4 not quite yet) already. You can also, today, play nearly the entire Serious Sam library in VR (hurr hurr a wave shooter durr), as well as IIRC Talos Principle.

It's just getting started baby.

EDIT:

This isn't necessarily to say that the Rift is a mistake, so much as to say it isn't superior. The Rift still very much is VR, but there's some differences on what a specifically tailored for Rift experience will be, and a specifically tailored for Vive experience will be. Rift made stuff will be more focused on hands and grip and such, but Vive will be more focused on getting up and moving around. Personally I value great room scale over great hand tracking.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say stalled is a decent word for it--at least in terms of sales. The early adopter types have mostly bought in, and the prices are still too high and lacking true AAA killer app software to get less enthusiastic tech adopters to buy in. As other's note, the base is too small to through an AAA budget at a VR exclusive so it will probably take more things like RE7 that can be played with or without VR--but something where the VR mode becomes a killer sales point for VR hardware.

cakely

It's not stalled, it's still gaining momentum.

I've bought far more games for PSVR than I bought during the same time period after the PS4 launch.

BizzyBum

I think it just needs to evolve more.

Currently it's too pricey and cumbersome to use. Stuff like Vive room-scale is amazing but the people who have that type of room is minuscule. Better graphics, smaller headsets, less / no wires at a good price but it won't happen for years. I could see people in the future dedicating rooms to VR, or have some sort of machine to have you walk in place.

I'd ask for you to decide on your own when you get your Rift. The people that claim the tracking is worse are doing so mostly based on past news. Patches have fixed the tracking problems considerably, 3 sensors works for roomscale now perfectly fine. And finger tracking isn't the only good thing about the Touch controllers; they are incredibly ergonomic and have analog sticks.

If you want to make sure the tracking is optimal, purchase these wall-mounts for the sensors.

XandBosch

Lol, every opinion in this thread should be followed by whether or not you invested in a VR unit. I wouldn't be surprised if the people saying "nah it's fine" own one, while the ones saying "no it's failing" don't.

Tain

The headsets are really similar, I wouldn't fret. Ultimately the Vive is more convenient to set up for a large space and has better tracking, but I find the Rift and Touch to be much more comfortable and I prefer the Touch in most scenarios in-action (more comfortable, thumbsticks).

Anybody trying to position one as being far more usable than the other is crazy.

I'd ask for you to decide on your own when you get your Rift. The people that claim the tracking is worse are doing so mostly based on past news. Patches have fixed the tracking problems considerably, 3 sensors works for roomscale now perfectly fine. And finger tracking isn't the only good thing about the Touch controllers; they are incredibly ergonomic and have analog sticks.

If you want to make sure the tracking is optimal, purchase these wall-mounts for the sensors.

3 sensors for the Rift would be a massive setup headache, given each sensor needs a USB cable running to it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
My PSVR has collected dust since November.

Granted I have yet to buy RE7 and I get severe nausea from using it in more games than not, so its more of a personal issue...but 2017 hasn't offered up much beyond RE7, a seemingly short Psychonauts bookmark entry, and some new Ghostbusters experience that I know nothing about. Anything else?

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Maybe,mine got used for the first week then collected dust :-(
Exact same here. I've discovered that, at the end of the day when I'm tired and looking to escape, I just want to sit on my ass, put my brain in some low-power state, and play a game using a regular ass controller or mouse/keyboard.

I am not looking for full sensory immersion. And I suspect that, once the novelty wears off, most gamers will feel that way.

Good news is I was able to sell my PSVR core on eBay for $385 :)

Branson

I'd ask for you to decide on your own when you get your Rift. The people that claim the tracking is worse are doing so mostly based on past news. Patches have fixed the tracking problems considerably, 3 sensors works for roomscale now. And finger tracking isn't the only good thing about the Touch controllers; they are incredibly ergonomic and have analog sticks.

If you want to make sure the tracking is optimal, purchase These wallmounts for the sensors.

Ive had a lot of fun with my Rift and Touch. I love the controllers and aside from tracking (which can be solved by another sensor) I haven't had a lot of issues. These posts are just making me re think having it around even though there are full games like iRacing, Elite, Dirt Rally, and stuff I love to play that are awesome on it.

It discourages me and makes me feel like I made a mistake. A pretty expensive one, even if I'm having a lot of fun with it.

3 sensors for the Rift would be a massive setup headache, given each sensor needs a USB cable running to it.

The Vive Lighthouse is superior in that way, although based on what I've read the Vive setup is generally more time consuming than the Rift.

But I mean, it's also just one more usb cable to plug in, it's not very complicated. And once I completed the setup, I can just grab my headset and touch controllers and I'm ready to play.

Ive had a lot of fun with my Rift and Touch. I love the controllers and aside from tracking (which can be solved by another sensor) I haven't had a lot of issues. These posts are just making me re think having it around even though there are full games like iRacing, Elite, Dirt Rally, and stuff I love to play that are awesome on it.

It discourages me and makes me feel like I made a mistake. A pretty expensive one, even if I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I'd be lying if I said it won't take patience to see the potential of the tech turn into action. But I'm still having fun with it over 6 months later, and the content that is coming in the next year will completely dwarf what we currently have, both quality and quantity.

Tain

The Vive Lighthouse is superior in that way, although based on what I've read the Vive setup is generally more time consuming than the Rift.

But I mean, it's also just one more usb cable to plug in, it's not very complicated. And once I completed the setup, I can just grab my headset and touch controllers and I'm ready to play.

I don't think the Vive takes any longer to set up, unless we're talking about wall-mounting the Vive lighthouses and not mounting the Rift trackers (but that's pretty unfair so)

M3d10n

If you think it "stalled", you obviously haven't been to GDC. This is my 3rd year in a row, the amount of VR stuff there just keeps increasing and they still cause lines to form.

There were three different booths where you could play Robo Recall: Epic's, Oculus' and NVidia's and in all of them you had to wait quite a bit in line (or book an appointment, in NVidia's case) to play. Another example: while Sony does hand out dev kits for free, they still cannot do so with PSVR units because they are always short in stock.

Price is still quite steep for most people, but the interest is there.

I mean, if we are going to compare the two, if we ignore having to actually run USB cables around the room and finding spots to plug it in to the PC, then you're right, it's not complicated. But it means that much more setup for roomscale, and it's not *one* more USB cable, it's 3. 3 that have to go all over your room.
And I'm not really sure how it could possibly be quicker to set up? It's very quick, takes me about ten minutes to set up when I go somewhere new. You plug in three cables and place 2 sensors.
And that's the same with Vive. Put on headset, push button, play games.

To be clear, I don't consider setup to be a deciding factor for either. But I would be very annoyed having USB cables running all over the room, but that's just me personally.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Yep. Just as I've been saying all along, the price/content/comfort/hassle ratio just isn't there and its unlikely that it ever will be.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
That "complicated" Vive setup is easily worth it for the best VR tracking solution/experience in the consumer market today. I've only had around 15-20 hours with the Oculus Touch but I still prefer the Vive setup any day of the week.

ghibli99

I have one or two friends who really go out of their way to promote it, but what are they promoting? Watching 3D movies on PSVR. That's not going to set the gaming or non-gaming world on fire.

RE7 was a great start. That type of thing needs to continue, and I hope it's what we see at E3.

There's still interest, just not the same level of excitement.

A few months ago the argument I saw a lot that there wasn't enough PS VR headset on the shelves . Just walked into Walmart looking for a switch and saw a bunch on the shelves so that's definitely not a problem anymore

killroy87

I'm a self-proclaimed tech geek, and I feel like a dodged a bit of a bullet with this round of VR. I've played quite a bit through other means, but the clunky hardware, gross image quality, and (and this is the worst part) mess of fucking cables all over the place make it very unappealing. There is some good software, and it will continue to get better, but we haven't seen that "break through the ceiling" moment where devs are fully realizing how, when, and where to use VR. Until then, there are a lot of samey titles, a lot of experimental crap, and a few gems that fall somewhere in between.

The idea is sound, but the tech isn't quite there yet. PSVR sold well, but it will need to become sleeker, smaller, and less cluttered with wires and shit until this truly picks up steam. However, this era is a necessary evil to get to the good stuff, and i'm fine with that.

Tyaren

For me it never really took off. VR is imo still in its infancy and hasn't reached its full potential yet. I'm giving it some more years, probably until the first revisions of headsets come out, coupled with better hardware like the PS5. I'm also waiting for when the first full blown AAA open world game comes out for that format. A Witcher 3 type of game in VR, now that would truly sell me on it. O:

ElCidTmax

I think Sony did a reasonably good job with ensuring there were decent titles for the launch window, and RE7 was the high point for me. That said, it takes a long time and who knows how much money to put together the VR mode for a big game like Resident Evil 7.

The industry had to see whether VR would get significant adoption in order to make investments beyond the launch window. I think Resident Evil proved that VR can sell reasonably well, and 10% of all players for RE7 played in VR. Assuming that is enough to prove sufficient interest, to get another title like that will still take time. I think it'll be smaller titles for at least a year. I'm perfectly OK with titles with a VR mode, provided that it is done well. I don't think you can make a AAA game that is VR only due to cost of development.

wwm0nkey

Yes and no. Yes to full AAA like titles. No its not stalling in smaller projects and in industry applications, its actually picking up there.

Waveset

I got PSVR at launch, bought a load of stuff and had a great time. I haven't touched it for 2 months as nothing interesting has been released. Would have sold it but my kid loves Job Sim.

dubq

I feel like PSVR has. It's been out for about half a year now and most of what is in the PS Store seems to be shovelware. I'm holding out hope that Farpoint turns things around, but...

I love my PSVR. It's a little slow right now, but I've had great experiences, especially RE7. We just have to be patient.

The next big game is Farpoint in May. That should be awesome with the new controller.

We can only look at what news we are given and extrapolate from that, I wouldn't know how to interpret the current situation, my gut feeling is it's going as expected (in a positive way).
On a personal level I can't complain, I use my Vive nearly every day, have 70 entries in my Steam VR library and 96 on my Steam wishlist, the vast majority of that are VR games and VR tools/programs. I wont get bored any time soon.

dh4niel

They really need to nail being about to walk around an environment without the user feeling uncomfortable. When they do that I think they'll be able to create more immersive experiences. That's what VR should be about.

knitoe

I never cared for VR, but I love new hardware so bought PSVR at launched. At first, I was kinda impress, but then, I tried Drive Club VR. That fucking game gave me motion sickness for the first time ever. It was really bad. It took me weeks to get over. To this day, I can still sometimes experience it mildly in other games. Obviously, haven't touch it since. My kids like it playing co-op so I still have it. Doubtful, I will ever try VR again.

Nzyme32

So long there is no unified VR standard on PC, it will stay niche.

https://www.khronos.org/openxr

2016-vr-graphic-1.png

Valve donated OpenVR as its starting point. Still going to be a few years till it gets going - but regardless this point is irrelevant to all platforms.

VR will stop being a niche the moment reasonably price, high quality VR is available that can support high quality and variety of games (as far as gaming is concerned)

NO platform does this yet, and won't for quite some time - yet the high end such as PC VR is and will continue to be for the foreseeable future, is exactly how this is reached.

Top Bottom